PDA

View Full Version : The Eric Berry is not a #1 overall pick thread

descendency
12-02-2009, 10:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_first_overall_draft_choices

I don't understand why people continue to put Eric Berry #1 overall. He's #1 on so many big boards and rightfully so. However... there has never been a safety taken #1 overall, ever.

1 has been taken since 1970 in the first two picks (Eric Turner).

3 in the top 5 since 1970 (Eric Turner, Shawn Springs, Kenny Easely).

Positional Value is extremely weak.

Eric Berry is not #1 overall material. He is top 5 definitely top 10, but you don't take a safety #1 overall.

nyqua
12-02-2009, 10:04 PM
What if everyone else in college football died and he was the only draft eligible player?

holt_bruce81
12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't think people are saying he'll go #1 overall, I just think they're saying he's the best player in this draft. (If he comes out)

descendency
12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
The Browns would still pass on him rendering him the #2 overall pick with the #1 pick forfeited.

I don't think people are saying he'll go #1 overall, I just think they're saying he's the best player in this draft. (If he comes out)

I've seen quite a few with him #1 overall.

dabul-master
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Ah, but a center HAS been taken #1 overall. . . JD!

WMD
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I agree. I usually disregard any mock that has a DB in the Top 3. Top 5 is even a stretch.. I mean, Sean Taylor was the probably the best Safety prospect of the past 15 years and he went #5.

I can't picture a GM picking in the Top 5 thinking "Man, if we just had that safety.. we could turn this franchise around!"

I could see it in a weak draft or if the Safety is just a can't miss, Elite, once in a lifetime type prospect.. but generally that's how I see it.

Caddy
12-02-2009, 10:47 PM
There's a first time for everything!

FUNBUNCHER
12-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Shawn Springs was drafted as a corner, not a safety.

CashmoneyDrew
12-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I agree. I usually disregard any mock that has a DB in the Top 3. Top 5 is even a stretch.. I mean, Sean Taylor was the probably the best Safety prospect of the past 15 years and he went #5.

I can't picture a GM picking in the Top 5 thinking "Man, if we just had that safety.. we could turn this franchise around!"

I could see it in a weak draft or if the Safety is just a can't miss, Elite, once in a lifetime type prospect.. but generally that's how I see it.

That was an extremely strong draft at the top, though. This draft is really weak in the top 5. That's the main reason EB is going #1 in mocks. Also, traditional positions that go top 3 or 5 are down at the top such as QB, HB, OT, DE.

TitanHope
12-02-2009, 11:22 PM
EB is the #1 player on many draft boards. Because of that, he'll go #1 overall in some mocks. That's just the nature of it.

Hard to go off history in this case because Safeties are looked at more valuably today. Bob Sanders was a DPOY, and then you have game changing players like Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed. GM's may be willing to use higher picks on them because of that.

But yeah, definitely not going #1 overall though, but it's not illogical to suggest.

bigbuc
12-02-2009, 11:24 PM
What If Berry can play CB? Like Ronnie Lott did for the 49ers. Hey if you know that the guy can turn around the back 4 go to pro bowls and be a leader for your team. I don't care what he plays. I want him on my team, even at number one.

Staubach12
12-02-2009, 11:37 PM
The team with the first pick might not take him, but Eric Berry is the best prospect in this draft. That's why he's number one on so many boards.

LonghornsLegend
12-02-2009, 11:38 PM

I think that's all it is, but he won't go #1 overall. Not just that, but more then likely teams picking at the top usually go for premiere positions like QB, LT, DE, to get that cornerstone player at a key position.

CC.SD
12-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I'll cosign this shiz, it's impossible that anyone pays this much for a safety. Maybe in a few years if a rookie scale is in place it will be possible for a S to go #1, but not with the current system.

Bengals78
12-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I put him #1 in my mocks because until the Browns trade Brady Quinn, I wont give them a QB and Berry is the best available prospect. I do not like projecting trades which is what I see happening if the Browns hold the #1 spot and keep Quinn.

Supporting Caste
12-03-2009, 02:50 PM
He might be good enough to justify it, especially in the emerging era where a premium is put on coverage and playmaking abilities.

villagewarrior
12-03-2009, 03:33 PM
What if everyone else in college football died and he was the only draft eligible player?

He would probably be the most likely suspect.

CC.SD
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
He would probably be the most likely suspect.

I don't know, I could see Mel Kiper snapping pretty easily.

FlyingElvis
12-03-2009, 03:48 PM
The changing landscape of the league will change the landscape of the draft as well. Do I think a safety will go # 1 overall? No. But we're not far from it. All the rules favor the offense and the result is the pass happy game we have now. The DBs are at a premium and will only become more valuable over the next few years.

holt_bruce81
12-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Who really knows, the Browns or Rams or Bucs(whoever has #1) could see Eric Berry and think about what he could do for a defense and how he could change the entire look of a defense. Some what like Troy Polamalu does in Pittsburgh, Bob Sanders in Indy and Ed Reed in Baltimore.

Babylon
12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Who really knows, the Browns or Rams or Bucs(whoever has #1) could see Eric Berry and think about what he could do for a defense and how he could change the entire look of a defense. Some what like Troy Polamalu does in Pittsburgh, Bob Sanders in Indy and Ed Reed in Baltimore.

I dont think he's physical enough to be looked at as a polamalu or Sanders but i could see him having an Ed Reed impact.

I think if you're looking for bang for the back at the #1 pick it's a QB, OT or D-lineman that can get to the QB, not a safety.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I would say that with the quality of defensive tackle that we expect for this draft, there's is probably absolutely zero chance that Eric Berry actually goes first overall. That said, the way the top 5 will stack up I expect he'll be gone by the time the 6th pick rolls around.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Sean Taylor was picked top 5.

Big Black
12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Eric Berry is probably the most complete S prospect in the last 5 years. He does it all....however, based on his size, some teams may knock him down a couple of spots. If Berry's instincts were in Taylor Mays' body, he'd be a no brainer at #1.

wonderbredd24
12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
The Cleveland Browns selected S Eric Turner out of UCLA 2nd Overall in the '91 draft if I'm not mistaken

TACKLE
12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Eric Berry is probably the most complete S prospect in the last 5 years. He does it all....however, based on his size, some teams may knock him down a couple of spots. If Berry's instincts were in Taylor Mays' body, he'd be a no brainer at #1.

He did. In his junior year at The U, he had 10 INT's including 3 returned for TD's.

descendency
12-03-2009, 09:40 PM
He did. In his junior year at The U, he had 10 INT's including 3 returned for TD's.

9 INTs. And yea. Ed Reed is a better S than Eric Berry in my opinion, but Berry is definitely the best player coming out of this class.

Here's the thing on Quinn, he's garbage from the previous administration. he's not producing. If the current administration falls in love with Jimmy Clausen, they aren't going to hesitate to draft him. It won't be Eric Mangini (Mangenious...) doing it.

CashmoneyDrew
12-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Eric Berry isn't as small as he's made out to be. 205 pounds on a 5'11 frame is good. Sean Taylor was only like 212 on 6'2 frame.

phlysac
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Eric Berry isn't as small as he's made out to be.

Yeah, I've never understood that.

Eric Berry - 5'11" - 205 lbs.
Ed Reed -- 5 '11" - 200 lbs.

TACKLE
12-03-2009, 10:48 PM
9 INTs. And yea. Ed Reed is a better S than Eric Berry in my opinion, but Berry is definitely the best player coming out of this class.

No. It was 10. But anyways...

Eric Berry is going to be a highly regarded prospect than Ed Reed was. Though with that being said, teams are more willing to take a chance on a smaller safety with great playmaking ability and instincts because of the success Ed Reed had.

descendency
12-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Wikipedia says 9.

Unless you want to count this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02fppIV9pik&feature=player_embedded

And what happened to all of the good youtube clips... I didn't just notice this, but there used to be thousands of football clips. Now they all suck. Where did the good ones go?

draftguru151
12-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Wikipedia says 9.

Unless you want to count this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02fppIV9pik&feature=player_embedded

And what happened to all of the good youtube clips... I didn't just notice this, but there used to be thousands of football clips. Now they all suck. Where did the good ones go?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/taylortimeline/SeanTaylor-MiamiU.jpg