PDA

View Full Version : Tim Ruskell expected to resign Thursday

vidae
12-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Just saw it on breaking news on NFL Network.

edit: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2010410249_breakingnewstimruskellonthewayout.html

Seahawks president Tim Ruskell is expected to announce his resignation at a press conference the Seahawks have called for Thursday morning at the team's headquarters in Renton.

Ruskell is in the last year of a five-year contract he signed with the franchise in 2005.

Not sure what his track record is, but wouldn't most Seahawk fans be happy with this?

CC.SD
12-03-2009, 02:21 AM
hm maybe Curry IS AJ Hawk.

TitanHope
12-03-2009, 02:25 AM
They're already celebrating about it in the Seahawks forum. :D

CC.SD
12-03-2009, 02:29 AM
The Shaun Alexander mega contract was his downfall.

OzTitan
12-03-2009, 03:57 AM
The Shaun Alexander mega contract was his downfall.

I'm not pretending I know how NFL front offices work, but I imagine such a decision is given plenty of consultation from team coaches, trainers etc. If internally a GM is being told this guy can still play, it was his running not his elite blocking etc, then while it's his call, it's not like it's just his failure (at least, not likely, assuming he didn't ignore what he was told).

Shane P. Hallam
12-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Opens the door for Holmgren.

gpngc
12-03-2009, 05:02 AM
You can understand WHY he would give SA the contract he did (coming off an NFC Title/Face of the Franchise/Made them relevant for once) even though most knew it was the wrong football move, but that wasn't his only screw-up.

Traded a first for Deion Branch.

Gave Julius Jones a starter-ish contract.

Chris Spencer, Kelly Jennings, Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson have all underwhelmed.

Besides Carlson and Tatupu, he hasn't really done much good.

And I'm of the belief that he royally screwed the team going forward with last year's brainfart of an offseason.

He made a "save-my-ass" move and signed the 32-year old Housh (who is not a premiere, impact wide receiver) to a huge contract.

Then, he drafted Aaron Curry, a 4-3 OLB, to a team already with three good LBs (I'm counting Hawthorne). Good player, sure, but it's not an impact position, and they had been down the "great linebackers, shaky everywhere else" road before with the Peterson-Tatup-Hill threesome of years prior.

I said it then, and I'll continue to say it- they should have NEVER signed Housh and then should have taken Crabtree. OR even if they do make the mistake of signing Housh, TAKE MARK SANCHEZ. You don't get a chance at a potential franchise QB that often. A very good 4-3 OLB you can find.

And Curry apologists save it- what has he done to this defense? They still don't have a great pass rush and can't cover in the back end. What good is it to be a great player making tackles five yards behind the LOS? "Impact" is the word, and Curry is and will be a fine player, but I fail to see how any 4-3 OLB will make the impact a QB or game-breaking WR would have made.

The bottom line is- Ruskell allowed this team to become a mess. An old mess. They don't have a QB of the future, the OL is a quagmire of oft-injured, too old/too young, inconsistent question marks, no young RB to get excited about (maybe half of that equation if you believe in Forsett), and even WR- YES WR- will become a need sooner than people realize. AND THAT'S JUST ON OFFENSE!

And to top it all off, Jim Mora Jr. is the head coach going forward...

It's sad really to think that this franchise went from perennial NFCW Champs to a bottom-dweller in just two short years. Ruskell was a huge part of that downfall, so his "resignation" is the best thing for the Seahawks and their fans right now.

Holmgren might be the guy, and I wouldn't be opposed, although he wasn't the best talent evaluator when he had both jobs during the beginning of his time in Seattle. Maybe without the coaching responsibilities he'll excel in that role.

Caddy
12-03-2009, 05:50 AM
He did a good job as scout/head of scouting for the Buccaneers, but maybe GMing just isn't in his repertoire.

Giantsfan1080
12-03-2009, 06:29 AM

My first thought as well.

NIN1984
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I thought the Curry pick was playing it safe. I agree with with gpngc, if you have the chance to draft a potential franchise QB or LT in the top 5 you have to take it, not to mention Hasselbeck is 34 and Walter Jones is 35.

Ravens1991
12-03-2009, 10:16 AM
And Curry apologists save it- what has he done to this defense? They still don't have a great pass rush and can't cover in the back end. What good is it to be a great player making tackles five yards behind the LOS? "Impact" is the word, and Curry is and will be a fine player, but I fail to see how any 4-3 OLB will make the impact a QB or game-breaking WR would have made.

I would take a impact OLB over a game-breaking WR every play. A great WR is good for a average of about 5-7 plays a game. A great OLB can have a impact on virtually every play on D.

gpngc
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I would take a impact OLB over a game-breaking WR every play. A great WR is good for a average of about 5-7 plays a game. A great OLB can have a impact on virtually every play on D.

That's fine but Aaron Curry has not been an impact LB. Part of that is due to the scheme, part of that is due to his supporting cast, and part of that is due to him.

I don't think any 4-3 OLB is worth a 4th overall pick ever unless they are some sort of LT-like freak or something.

Paul
12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
They're already celebrating about it in the Seahawks forum. :D

All two of them?

General Zod
12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I myself cant knock him for the Aaron Curry pick. I thought that he was the best LB to come out in years. Remains to be seen, not looking to good so far.

Babylon
12-03-2009, 04:07 PM
All two of them?

I think it's 3.:) I think Ruskell's downfall was letting Steve Hutchinson go and trading a #1 for Deon Branch.

As for Aaron Curry i think they might change to a 3-4 in time because of his ability to get a pass rush. If they didnt draft Curry the only real options were Mark Sanchez or Eugene Monroe. I'm not worried about Aaron Curry.

TitanHope
12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
All two of them?

You're forgetting about XXX_Dragon_XXX.

Cicero
12-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I think it's 3.:) I think Ruskell's downfall was letting Steve Hutchinson go and trading a #1 for Deon Branch.

As for Aaron Curry i think they might change to a 3-4 in time because of his ability to get a pass rush. If they didnt draft Curry the only real options were Mark Sanchez or Eugene Monroe. I'm not worried about Aaron Curry.

We do not have the personnel for the 3-4 at all. Hawthorne and Tatupup are small for ILBs, Hill doesn't fit anywhere very well, Kerney is not an OLB, I'm not sure Jackson and Tapp are either, we have no nose takcle (Bryant and Cole suck too bad to count), Mebane is not a 3-4 DE by any stretch, and we have one 3-4 end in Redding. No no no.

Job
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Signing that mediocre WR from the Vikings to an offer sheet in retaliation to the Hutchinson offer sheet was quite terrible too.

CC.SD
12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Signing that mediocre WR from the Vikings to an offer sheet in retaliation to the Hutchinson offer sheet was quite terrible too.

Oooh I forgot about that one. What is more bush league: leaving Hutchinson vulnerable to being poison pilled instead of just franchising him, or poison pilling for Burleson as a revenge move?

LonghornsLegend
12-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Gave Julius Jones a starter-ish contract.

Don't let MOTH see this, he is the only JJ believer left I think :D

XxXdragonXxX
12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
You're forgetting about XXX_Dragon_XXX.

Sniff sniff....someone remembered me....I feel honored.

Ruskell had a good offseason in 2005, and then followed it up with a string of mistakes. He's failed to build a good OL after losing Hutchinson and Tobeck, and failed to build the DL after Tubbs career ended eraly to a string of injuries. The amazing LB's that he's acquired have failed to have any room to play since losing that big body up front.

Most of the biggest pieces of the Seahawks Superbowl team were already there when Ruskell got there. His big moves in 2005, Tatupu, Hill and Jurevicious. Tatupu hasn't been the same without Tubbs up front, Hill has been hurt alot, and Jurevicius left for Cleveland the following year.

Tubbs may have been the most important piece on that 2005 defense, without him there has been no QB pressure and no run defense for 4 years.

The more I think about this, the more I think that the Seahawks need to do whatever it takes to get a great DT and rebuild that OL. There is alot of talent on the team, everywhere but in the trenches.

j05son
12-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Just found this:

If the Seahawks hired Spencer Stuart to help them, then clearly they can't have deal done with Holmgren and will seriously look elsewhere.

TitleTown088
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
You just make sure and leave the Packers staff ( reggie) out of it Seahens.