PDA

View Full Version : Hey, **** my life, alright?

The Unseen
12-04-2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/sports/nfl-football-future-in-los-angeles-20091201

notice who he mentioned first.

NOLAFan
12-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Get To Da Choppa!!!!

Flyboy
12-04-2009, 12:30 PM
*rolls eyes* I live in LA (well, about 15 minutes from ACTUAL LA) and have been out here over two years. The people out here just don't care about football unless its USC.

The Unseen
12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
They'll care for 15 years. Just like Jacksonville did. But the NFL will make a **** ton more money in those 15 years.

yo123
12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
**** off LA. You had your chance and blew it.

CashmoneyDrew
12-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't know why they keep bringing up the possibility of two teams there. LA probably needs to prove they can support one team first.

CC.SD
12-04-2009, 01:24 PM
**** off LA. You had your chance and blew it.

Don't be bitter, LA is coming for Adrian Peterson and you know it!

Someone out there a conspiracy is brewing to kill off Al Davis and move the Raiders back into a new stadium. There's still a huge Raider base here.

TitanHope
12-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Jags are becoming the easy target in situations like this. If a reporter leads off J'Ville, I don't think there's much to the story.

diabsoule
12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Think of how that would screw with the alignment if the Jags moved to L.A. It really wouldn't make much sense to have the Los Angeles Jaguars in the AFC South, but I guess on the other hand it makes about as much sense as having the Dolphins in the AFC East.

gsorace
12-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Think of how that would screw with the alignment if the Jags moved to L.A. It really wouldn't make much sense to have the Los Angeles Jaguars in the AFC South, but I guess on the other hand it makes about as much sense as having the Dolphins in the AFC East.

Miami is just as far east as it is south

diabsoule
12-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Miami is just as far east as it is south

yet it doesn't fit geographically with New England, Buffalo, or the NY Jets

Brent
12-04-2009, 02:45 PM
You think St. Louis fits with SF, Arizona and Seattle? Christ, Dallas is further west than St Louis. There is a rivalry factor built into the alignment.

RaiderNation
12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Raiders signed a new deal to stay in Oakland a few weeks ago until 2013 I believe

EDIT
http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_13819532
The Raiders and the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority announced Wednesday that they have reached a tentative agreement to extend their lease through the 2013 season. The lease had been set to expire after the 2010 season.

D-Unit
12-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Isn't the Jags stadium empty every Sunday? Why is this surprising?

killxswitch
12-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Geographically, many of the divisions make no sense. Indy is not "south". It's midwest, just like Chicago is not "north", it's midwest. KC and STL are both in "west" divisions but are also midwest. But there's no midwest division so they have to go somewhere.

I do think the Jags will eventually have to go somewhere else. There's just too much football to go around with the Bucs, Dolphins, Gators, Seminoles, etc. etc. Plus people retire to Florida but stay loyal to their teams so that's an entire country of other teams to contend with. No wonder they tarp over their seats and still have blackouts.

RaiderNation
12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Id guess Buffalo and/or Jacksonville

Todd Bertuzzi
12-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Buffalo is going to Toronto though!

Vox Populi
12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Buffalo is going to Toronto though!

Yeah, if the Bills go anywhere its Toronto. The fanbase is already there pretty much and Northern NY definitely is close enough for those fans to travel and watch if they don't get completely turned off the franchise if it moved.

yo123
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Who said it was surprising?

D-Unit
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Who said it was surprising?
Oh. My bad. :p

phlysac
12-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Geography. Hahahaha

I miss Atlanta and New Orleans being in the NFC West.

The Unseen
12-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Well, owner Wayne Weaver has made a commitment to Jacksonville, and they have a stadium deal in place, it's just the seating issue. Usually ticket sales aren't the motivating factors in moving - it's stadium deals. But that doesn't mean the Jaguars are at all safe.

tjsunstein
12-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Could this whole Jaguars to LA scheme be shaken if they draft Tebow?

Jughead10
12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, owner Wayne Weaver has made a commitment to Jacksonville, and they have a stadium deal in place, it's just the seating issue. Usually ticket sales aren't the motivating factors in moving - it's stadium deals. But that doesn't mean the Jaguars are at all safe.

But the stadium is so damn empty, why would a new stadium make a difference. Jacksonville had to take seats out of the stadium a few years ago to avoid blackouts and they are still around an average of 10,000 short every game.

Jughead10
12-04-2009, 04:52 PM

I've thought about that. Whether he'll be a good NFL QB or not, he might be able to sell seats.

D-Unit
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately, I think it's already too late. They are talking about moving the team in 2010.

CC.SD
12-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Tebow would be a plus for LA since it's such a well known name, it would help the transition regardless of whether or not he is a success. Which, you know, might happen. Maybe.

The Unseen
12-04-2009, 05:14 PM
But the stadium is so damn empty, why would a new stadium make a difference. Jacksonville had to take seats out of the stadium a few years ago to avoid blackouts and they are still around an average of 10,000 short every game.

It has been worse in many markets many times before. See Arizona, Atlanta, Tampa Bay.

WMD
12-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Why would California need 4/5 teams? Raiders, Chargers, and Niners should be enough. Why not put a team in the Upper Peninsula? I like the sound of "Upper Peninsula Jaguars"

Scotty D
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Why would California need 4/5 teams? Raiders, Chargers, and Niners should be enough. Why not put a team in the Upper Peninsula? I like the sound of "Upper Peninsula Jaguars"

Give this man a medal.

The Unseen
12-04-2009, 09:55 PM
I like the sound of "Jacksonville Jaguars" *************

Splat
12-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Why would California need 4/5 teams? Raiders, Chargers, and Niners should be enough.

This.

I'm not sure about the 49ers but SD and Oakland are pretty much always on the verge of having games blacked out.

wordofi
12-04-2009, 10:47 PM
It's about time that Los Angeles gets an NFL team again, maybe even two.

vidae
12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Honestly, LA doesn't need a pro football team. I grew up there (Redondo Beach, reppin the 310!) and it isn't a huge pro football town. College football? Hell yes. Pro? Not so much.

You have plenty of California teams to root for. Don't be greedy Los Angeles!

Splat
12-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Honestly, LA doesn't need a pro football team. I grew up there (Redondo Beach, reppin the 310!) and it isn't a huge pro football town. College football? Hell yes. Pro? Not so much.

You have plenty of California teams to root for. Don't be greedy Los Angeles!

Thats what I'm saying they don't support the teams they have now.

Iamcanadian
12-05-2009, 12:44 AM
The NFL will only move to LA if a new stadium gets built otherwise it isn't worth the effort. The reason pro football never took off in LA is because they played in a run down neighborhood where the Coliseum is situated and the stadium might be OK for college football but it is a joke for a pro franchise. Nobody is going to pay NFL prices for tickets and sit in that stadium.
The NFL can get a sizable increase in their TV revenues by having a team in LA and that is why they will find a way to get a team there as long as a state of the art stadium is built.

Al Davis would jump at the chance to move back to LA if they had a modern stadium. Buffalo, Jacksonville and Minny are also likely candidates along with a few others. A team situated in LA with a modern stadium would practically automatically double the worth of the team and that alone is going to attract a lot of teams, even those you might not consider to be unlikely candidates.

yo123
12-05-2009, 12:47 AM
The NFL will only move to LA if a new stadium gets built otherwise it isn't worth the effort. The reason pro football never took off in LA is because they played in a run down neighborhood where the Coliseum is situated and the stadium might be OK for college football but it is a joke for a pro franchise. Nobody is going to pay NFL prices for tickets and sit in that stadium.
The NFL can get a sizable increase in their TV revenues by having a team in LA and that is why they will find a way to get a team there as long as a state of the art stadium is built.

Al Davis would jump at the chance to move back to LA if they had a modern stadium. Buffalo, Jacksonville and Minny are also likely candidates along with a few others. A team situated in LA with a modern stadium would practically automatically double the worth of the team and that alone is going to attract a lot of teams, even those you might not consider to be unlikely candidates.

The stadium is already approved.

Iamcanadian
12-05-2009, 12:54 AM
The stadium is already approved.

I know it is approved in principal but who is putting up the money to build it. Has that been decided and how much are they prepared to spend. Teams will be eying Dallas's new stadium as an example of what kind of new stadium is required in today's NFL and I'm not sure how far LA is willing to go.

HawkeyeFan
12-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Also... The Rams won't move, they have to stay until the Edward Jones Dome until ATLEAST 2013... if I remember correctly.

Bengalsrocket
12-05-2009, 02:19 AM
From the video in the OP's post, the agreement on the stadium is that a team can only move there if it is bought by some guy (I forget his name, but they say it in the video). Thus Al Davis doesn't have the option to go there, only to sell his team to said guy, who would then move the team himself.

The stadium doesn't get built unless he buys a franchise by 2010.

Brent
12-05-2009, 08:35 AM
The stadium doesn't get built unless he buys a franchise by 2010.
Arnold was trying to get, if I remember correctly, teams like the Chargers & Niners to move their games there or something ridiculous. All I remember is the Niners ownership told him to go away.

stephenson86
12-05-2009, 08:42 AM
i hope they call it schwarzenegger stadium

Saints-Tigers
12-05-2009, 08:44 AM
They should call it the Termernadium.

Brent
12-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Kuato Field at Skynet Stadium

Splat
12-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Arnold was trying to get, if I remember correctly, teams like the Chargers & Niners to move their games there or something ridiculous. All I remember is the Niners ownership told him to go away.

"Go Chargers Go."

yourfavestoner
12-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I know it is approved in principal but who is putting up the money to build it. Has that been decided and how much are they prepared to spend. Teams will be eying Dallas's new stadium as an example of what kind of new stadium is required in today's NFL and I'm not sure how far LA is willing to go.

Ed Roski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_P._Roski) (the man who owns the Staples Center) is funding the project completely. The only opposition to the stadium has been by local suburbs (one of which I live in) who are worried about the effects a stadium will have on their communities. Shwarzenegger pretty much forced this thing to go through because it will create 20,000 jobs in the area and not a penny of it will have to come from the state or taxpayer money. This isn't being looked at as just a stadium for a football team. The facility will likely host many events (sporting and entertainment) throughout the year. It's going to be a major economic shot in the arm for a state that is currently bankrupting itself.

One stipulation is that Roski says he wants to have at minority ownership in whatever team moves here. The Rams make the most sense to me, seeing as how they are trying to find new ownership. Like Iamcanadian says, this stadium is going to make moving look very lucrative to a number of teams. It's going to generate a ton of revenue (at first) in an area of the country that loves the shiniest new toy.

In the case of Jacksonville, there are some interesting elements that must happen for them to relocate, and it all has to do with their lease with Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. The lease runs through 2030. In order to get out of it, they would have to prove that they lost money for three consecutive years (a possibility, but no one can say for sure) or prove that the city failed to maintain the facility (an impossibility - the stadium is in great shape). With potential labor unrest on the horizon, it's highly unlikely that the owners would want of the franchises to open it's books for all to see, which would happen if they wanted to prove they lost money in three consecutive seasons.

If the Jaguars were to simply break the lease and relocate, they would be forced to pay the city a lump sum of $60 million for rent, plus the millions of dollars in lost ticket surcharges and lost parking revenue.

They could move, but it'd be very costly for them to do so.

On the other hand, there will be a lot of pressure for them to move. They're one of the league's most unprofitable franchises, and I can tell you that they're a huge reason why the owners voted out of the revenue sharing agreement. The big market owners don't want to subsidize a small market team like Jacksonville that doesn't contribute any money to the revenue sharing pool at all. Other small market teams (like Green Bay, KC, etc) still generate way more revenue than Jacksonville.

San Diego and Oakland are both major candidates as well, as both are desperate for new facilities and are not going to get them from their respective cities. Like Unseen said, every team that's ever relocated has done it for stadium issues - never for ticket sales.

I dunno who it will be, but I'm very excited and will be a proud fan of whatever team it is.

Unless it's the Raiders. Gross.

vikes_28
12-07-2009, 12:31 AM
The Vikings have been trying to get a new stadium for years, their lease runs out in 2011, Zygi Wilf has two obvious options...Sell the team, or upgrade the Metrodome. My hope would obviously be the latter. The problem with the location of the Metrodome is, is that there is no room downtown for a parking lot. The fans would have to go through the same process to get downtown, which works, but its not the most desirable.

Iamcanadian
12-07-2009, 12:48 AM
The Vikings have been trying to get a new stadium for years, their lease runs out in 2011, Zygi Wilf has two obvious options...Sell the team, or upgrade the Metrodome. My hope would obviously be the latter. The problem with the location of the Metrodome is, is that there is no room downtown for a parking lot. The fans would have to go through the same process to get downtown, which works, but its not the most desirable.

Youy forgot the 3rd option which is to move the team to LA if and when a stadium is built. The fact that the team doesn't have a lease past 2011 would send shivers down my back if I were a Minny fan, and make a move very likely

yo123
12-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Youy forgot the 3rd option which is to move the team to LA if and when a stadium is built. The fact that the team doesn't have a lease past 2011 would send shivers down my back if I were a Minny fan, and make a move very likely

I think that's what he meant by selling the team.

vikes_28
12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I think that's what he meant by selling the team.

Yes, thank you. And yes it does send shivers down my spine. I really really really hope that this doesn't happen to the Vikings. The LA Vikings? Comon...I think that the best case scenario for the Vikings right now would be to buy the Metrodome after the lease is up on it. Wilf could buy it for pennies on the dollar and renovate it.

Bucs_Rule
12-07-2009, 06:54 AM
If LA gets a team San Diego and Oakland would struggle even more.

wogitalia
12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
With potential labor unrest on the horizon, it's highly unlikely that the owners would want of the franchises to open it's books for all to see, which would happen if they wanted to prove they lost money in three consecutive seasons.

This is an interesting one. I dont think the owners would have any problem at all showing the books if it supports the move, basically making it a non-issue. If they are making money, no point, if they aren't it has the double point of showing the players union that teams/owners aren't making money, which should strengthen their position.

I'm one of the few Vikings fan's who is pretty much indifferent to whether they move or not. Obviously for tradition and history I prefer they belong in Minny, but I would be far more likely to live in LA than Minny. That said, I think the tradition, as well as the rivalries are what should be important. Also, there should be option 3 in that, of getting a new stadium built, though I have seen no reason to believe that will happen.

tylerb929
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM

If the Jags go to LA, they should switch the Jags and Rams.

The St. Louis Rams would make more sense playing Indy, Tennessee, and Houston and the LA Jags would make more sense playing Seattle, San Fran, and Arizona.

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 12:35 PM

The St. Louis Rams would make more sense playing Indy, Tennessee, and Houston and the LA Jags would make more sense playing Seattle, San Fran, and Arizona.
Can't disagree about that.

diabsoule
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM

That's a fantastic idea.