PDA

View Full Version : Can the Lions Reach 8-8 in 2010? Discuss!

SINCE1978
12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I say no. But since it is the twilight of the 2009 season for the Lions and jockeying position for the 2010 draft has begun, I thought it may be fun to discuss.

So Detroit sports talk personality Doug Karsch (97.1 fm the ticket in Detroit for those not familiar) said something today on air that I wanted to share here.

He looked into his Lions crystal ball and saw an 8-8 season in 2010 given these stipulations

1) they sign Reggie Bush
2) draft 2 defensive lineman & 2 offensive lineman

In my opinion, Karsch is a fairly credible sports mind ... although hes an MSU grad who kisses major U of M butt and is constantly reminded of it ;o) Anyway, here was his rd 1 rd 2 picks for the draft I helped him along in rd 3 & 4 with some lineman ideas. By the way if Brandon Graham slips into rd 2 that would be a great pick.

1) Ndamukong Suh, Hulk, Huskers (Gerald McCoy if Suh is gone)
2) Brandon Graham DE, U of M
3) Vladimir Ducasse G, UMass (Jason Fox LT The U)
4) Jon Asamoah G, Illinois (Tony Washington LT Abeline Christian)

Discuss

SINCE1978
12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
As a side note ...
Ndamukog Suh through 12 games has 70 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 13.5 TFL, 17 QB hurries, 10 deflected passes & 3 blocks on special teams! This in 12 games with the Big 12 Conference Championship Saturday against Texas & a bowl game remaining … (wow!)

Iamcanadian
12-05-2009, 01:36 AM
To be frank, I think it will take 2 more drafts to get us into .500 territory, one more draft simply isn't enough IMO. We just have too many holes to fill thanks to Millen, before we can begin to move in a very positive direction. I'df say 4 to 6 wins next year with 8 wins the following year if we draft well.
The guy is just being way too optomistic. Not always but generally young QB's break out in their 3rd year and begin to reach their full potential.

Prowler
12-05-2009, 06:53 AM
i absolutely love the way he drafts. we need another safety, corner and wide receiver in addition to those picks though so i'd say we'd still only get 5-6 wins.

SINCE1978
12-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Build with the beef!

Get younger, get massive and move piles up front. That draft would aid in doing this, I am not sure about 8-8.

Let's start with going .500 in conference. That would be amazing yr 2 of this regime.

WMD
12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
It's staaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrtinggggggggggggggg........

Talk Radio and MLive draft talk.. Be prepared to make this face many times in the next 4 months:

http://www.strategicprofits.com/sma/images/frustrated.jpg

KCJ58
12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
why does everyone think Reggie Bush will save their team

WMD
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
why does everyone think Reggie Bush will save their team
Because Kim Kardashian is perfection.

SINCE1978
12-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I thought Reggie broke it off with her?

WMD
12-05-2009, 10:21 PM
He came crawling back.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
12-06-2009, 05:01 PM
AFC East and NFC East next year. Nope. We've been blown out in every division game too. Week 2 was closer than the 27-13 score but still its Minny and they should sweep us again.

I agree we need two Dline and 2 Oline. Oh and 2 secondary players.

WMD
12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
AFC East and NFC East next year. Nope. We've been blown out in every division game too. Week 2 was closer than the 27-13 score but still its Minny and they should sweep us again.

I agree we need two Dline and 2 Oline. Oh and 2 secondary players.
We have the AFC and NFC East next year? Ugh.

AkiliSmith
12-06-2009, 08:12 PM
He broke it off in her

BuffaloBillsFan
12-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd like to see us get some help in the secondary, maybe Berry if Suh is gone.

noondog
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
8-8 is WAY too optismistic considering that there's been no mention of upgrading the secondary whatsoever other than indirectly doing so with the addition of Suh and Graham on the line.

Based on the assumptions made, a 5 win season seems reasonable at this point.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
We have the AFC and NFC East next year? Ugh.

Yep, we gotta get better quick

Home vs Eagles,Skins,Rams(4th NFC West),Jets,Pats
Away Bills,Phins,Tampa(4th South),Cowboys,Giants

Then of course division

Thanksgiving by the way will be either Pats(so a beat down) or Jets(Stafford vs Sanchez)

Don't see 8 Ws on that schedule unless we have a miracle offseason

SINCE1978
12-06-2009, 09:36 PM
It's possible in 1 year, have faith! Another draft to add talent combined with a few key FA acquisitions and the maturation of all these rookies ...

The Bun-gels did it from last year to this year. This week last season they were 1-10-1 and are today 9-3 possibly looking at a first round play off bye!

I am cheering for the Vikings to win it all so Favre ACTUALLY retires. That changes the division alone, combined with Chicago's non existent draft (in acquiring Cutler & Adams) we could make up some serious ground. Stafford year 2 etc etc ... 2011 is the "turn the corner" year. but in 2010 we can begin to win divisional match ups, maybe back to back wins, or road victories are not out of reach. 8-8 may be out there ... but 5-6 wins is in their grasp.

WMD
12-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking 5-11 next year. 2011 should be no less than 8-8.

Iamcanadian
12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
It's possible in 1 year, have faith! Another draft to add talent combined with a few key FA acquisitions and the maturation of all these rookies ...

The Bun-gels did it from last year to this year. This week last season they were 1-10-1 and are today 9-3 possibly looking at a first round play off bye!

I am cheering for the Vikings to win it all so Favre ACTUALLY retires. That changes the division alone, combined with Chicago's non existent draft (in acquiring Cutler & Adams) we could make up some serious ground. Stafford year 2 etc etc ... 2011 is the "turn the corner" year. but in 2010 we can begin to win divisional match ups, maybe back to back wins, or road victories are not out of reach. 8-8 may be out there ... but 5-6 wins is in their grasp.

Cincy is a poor example to use. Palmer is healthy for the 1st time in 3 years and that is why they are suddenly a threat. They have had decent talent on that team but injuries have held them back.
Detroit has 2 problems, one is their generally a lack of solid starters at just too many positions as they try to recover from so many years of Matt Millen's drafts. The other is a totally mediocre group of backup players again caused by the miserable drafting of Millen. We are essentially an expansion team that has to be built from the bottom up. You simply cannot replace everybody in such a short time. Even 2 more drafts will only get us up to .500 and that is only if we don't make any major mistakes when drafting.
You also have to remember that a # of our current starters will be perhaps retiring in 2 years and have to be replaced as well.
Speedy upgrades happen on teams that have a lot of pieces in place but need perhaps a QB to make it all work. Even then it may take 3 years before the QB is at the top of his game. The Jets are a good example of this and as Sanchez develops, they could really take off as did Baltimore with Flacco or Atlanta with Ryan.
In the end, it is almost impossible for a team to recover from a poor GM in a couple of years and Matt Millen was the worst GM I have ever seen. It is going to be a slow process to replace 7 first round picks and an equal # of 2nd and 3rd round picks. I'd say 3 years is the best you can expect before we are again a competitive team including this year, which means we need 2 more full seasons before we are on the road to complete recovery. The only rider to this is that we cannot have another flop draft among those recovering years. We have to hit home runs for at least 2 more drafts or even these plans can get set back.

DoWnThEfiElD
12-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Why would we get Bush? I cannot see him coming here.

Also no. Stafford will still be growing and our secondary and running game will still be poor.

We are heading in the right direction but I feel 6-10 is far more realistic.

Calvin & Kevin
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I'd love to think the Lions could improve to 8-8 in today's NFL but let's face it they'd have to have a monster, like legendary monster offseason to even make that possible. Like 3 homerun free agents and an even better draft than this one which is looking pretty decent.

Brothgar
12-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Why would we want Bush? I don't want a RB who can't run between the tackles.

detroit4life
12-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Kevin smith's best ability is being able to catch the ball out of the backfield. Isn't that the same as Bush? I'd like the talent addition but im not sure it adds a lot.

I do agree with the draft idea. Build the line then we'll look at the secondary. Hopefully there is a FA CB who we can add across from Buchanon. Still a very weak secondary but we dont have enough draft picks to fix this defense in one year.

Crickett
12-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Why would we want Bush? I don't want a RB who can't run between the tackles.

Why not? He'd be able to escape the two or three defensive players who have already broken through the line by the time the quarterback is about to hand him the ball.

singe_101
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Are we counting the preseason?

To go 8-8 with a historically awful defense you will need Stafford to throw for about 4800 yards and only about 16 picks, ala Cutler or Culpepper. So you need a new offensive line and Suh to somehow go to pick... 4? 3? And be great. And when the team had Shaun Rogers they... did have flashes but were usually bad.

Stout lines still won't solve the turnover problems, they could help if it all worked out.

Things can happen but the 2007 Dolphins had Ronnie Brown go down, in 2006 they were 5th in points allowed so some of those guys were salvaged, the recent Rams can run it, the terrible Raiders teams had decent defenses.

If Suh fell I would trade it and build a ROSTER, and pray for Ford to be spendy or removed if there's no cap. They could even draft Cody or a DT in the early 2nd or so, with multiple players gained from that difference. It's great to have elite prospects but Bush was supposed to at least hold a job, and Gallery at LT, etc.

Addict
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM
In theory I suppose it could happen, but it's gonna take a lot more than one season to be respectable.

Even if Cutler's struggles in Chicago continue, Green Bay and Minny look set to absolutely dominate us for seasons to come, with us standing a slight chance against Chicago but like I said, that's only if they fail to fix that line and if cutler fails to get back to his old self.

Lions need to build, but what else is new?

tblain1
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
To be frank, I think it will take 2 more drafts to get us into .500 territory, one more draft simply isn't enough IMO. We just have too many holes to fill thanks to Millen, before we can begin to move in a very positive direction. I'df say 4 to 6 wins next year with 8 wins the following year if we draft well.
The guy is just being way too optomistic. Not always but generally young QB's break out in their 3rd year and begin to reach their full potential.

I agree with Frank.

8-8 is super optimistic. Stafford needs a new line. He also needs to learn how to do things well once he gets time. Right now it feels like he is playing on instincts 1/2 the time as the pocket crumbles around him. We also need to ensure that once he gets protection he makes the right reads consistently.

We need to establish a consistent run game.

We need to stop the run.

By the time all this is in line we'll need a new kicker. Seems like a small detail, but we haven't had to worry about that detail in the past 20 years. Other teams sweat that detail on a week to week basis and hope their guy doesn't wilt under pressure.

So ...yeah... 6-10 is a nice target. After the Baltimore game I am seeing a low bar set for next year. Maybe if some great things happen and some people on the team take 12 steps forward in progression we can get to .500 but not likely even if we do somehow draft Suh.

BTW, is there anyway we draft ahead of Cleveland if we finish with the same record? Or do they have the tiebreaker for losing to us? Cuz I could really see St Louis going QB if someone like Clausen rises with a good workout. Cleveland would probably draft Suh.

tblain1
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
He broke it off in her

Oh SNAP!
http://www.ohsnap.ca/img/thumbnails/oh-snap.jpg