PDA

View Full Version : OG Mike Iupati [Idaho]

JohnCandy
12-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I am wondering how good is OG Mike Iupati [Idaho] he has the look of an elite OG at 6'6" 330lbs. and everything I have read says he could be a monster at LG or even kick out to OT?

Where do you think that he is going to be drafted?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/1094/slideshow_109423/display_image.jpg

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/47/470192.jpg

RaiderNation
12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Ive been wondering this too. I think he could make a good RT, but a all pro guard. Would love to have this guy in the 2nd round

bored of education
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
He is very good. Technically sound, has the ability to get to the next level. He can def. be a 2nd-3rd rounder. He is my 2nd favorite smaller school o-line men to Big Vlad.

phlysac
12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Seems safe to assume he's a late 1st/early 2nd round choice.

princefielder28
12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't see him falling past the middle of round 2.

Babylon
12-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Seems safe to assume he's a late 1st/early 2nd round choice.

That early second round is going to be loaded with talent.

bored of education
12-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I think he will be drafted between 50-60 area.

JohnCandy
12-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Could you say that it would be a similar situation to Max Unger last year where he has 1st round talent but because of position he slides to the mid-2nd round?

Babylon
12-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Could you say that it would be a similar situation to Max Unger last year where he has 1st round talent but because of position he slides to the mid-2nd round?

I have about 10 players who have 1st round talent who for whatever reason will go in the second.

SuperKevin
12-05-2009, 02:47 PM
I read he barely speaks English since he grew up in Samoa. That could be an issue come draft time

P-L
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I have him graded as a late 1st or early 2nd Round pick, but this draft is pretty deep overall. I could see him falling to the the end of the 2nd round or even into the third round because of the depth of this draft and the position he plays.

Babylon
12-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I read he barely speaks English since he grew up in Samoa. That could be an issue come draft time

There are guys who grew up in this country who can barely speak english.

OaklandRaider56
12-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Didn't hurt JaMarcus Russell...

descendency
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
There are guys who grew up in this country who can barely speak english.
Emmit Smith even made it as a TV analyst for a while...

TACKLE
12-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I really like everything I've heard about him but I've haven't gotten a chance to see Idaho play this year. I really would like sit down and watch him play.

tjsunstein
12-05-2009, 06:20 PM
One of the few guys I'd be very optimistic about if the Packers drafted.

Zycho32
12-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Well, if the Packers draft him it would essentially mean the end of the ZBS, even if he had the athleticism needed to play in it. And hey, it's not like drafting Idaho Guards hurt the team in the past.

...but is he really as good as everyone is touting, or has the Guard position gotten so dumped on over the years that it only seems that way?

JFLO
12-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Didn't hurt JaMarcus Russell...

Or Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden

Larry121283
12-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Idaho likes to pull him a LOT in their run game and he is a guy that you tend to miss out on if you aren't watching him, because he is so steady and doesn't make mistakes...on the same token, he isn't flashy, he isn't a pancake machine.

I think he'll be a fine guard, but his status as a prospect depends a lot on the off-season and how he compares to his peers, as playing in the WAC, you can't really tell. You want to see him go against the Lamar Houston's, the Vince Oghobasee's, the Ndamukong Suh's in the All-Star games and at the combines.

D-Unit
12-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Colt Brennan called OL assignments in Samoan at Hawaii. Iupati would fit in perfectly in Washington since Colt will start. ;)

Scott Wright
12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I love Mike Iupati, he's been my #1 OG prospect all along. He's a definite second rounder and could potentially sneak into the first. I will be doing an interview with him soon.

PossibleCabbage
12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
One of the few guys I'd be very optimistic about if the Packers drafted.

I know that the Packers OL gets a lot of flak for their play this season, but Green Bay actually has a pretty solid amount of talent for their interior OL. The offensive linemen they draft pretty much have to be guys we're sure can play Tackle.

RaiderNation
12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
What does every1 think about him playing RT?

FUNBUNCHER
12-07-2009, 03:01 PM

Doesn't everyone speak English from Samoa?? I thought the official name of the island was American Samoa??

dabears10
12-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Doesn't everyone speak English from Samoa?? I thought the official name of the island was American Samoa??

There are two islands. American Samoa and Samoa.

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I can see the Steelers trading up on the 2nd to get him.

energizerbunny
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
He is a phenomenal athlete, he moves well in space and has a great base in pass protection. However he seems to be a bit of a waist bender which could explain why he isn't exactly a mauler in the run game.

His first step is fast and explosive, which will be extremely attractive to many teams. However he may fit a ZBS better then a pure man power system just because he isn't extremely strong at the point of attack.

I question why the Idaho coaches didn't move him out to tackle, as their LT has horrible feet and is in general now a very good pass blocker.

I like him in the late 2nd, early 3rd range right now, as a Tackle...

TT Gator
12-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I love Mike Iupati, he's been my #1 OG prospect all along. He's a definite second rounder and could potentially sneak into the first. I will be doing an interview with him soon.

Did you see him in the Humanitarian Bowl Scott? This kid was impressive. I've heard all the hype and have watched a few highlights but I never got around to watching an Idaho game(shock of the century I know!). The biggest question I had was whether or not he was consistent and in at least this game he was. He showed great speed and quickness for a guy his size. Then he should his strength on a couple plays where he just straight knocked D-Linemen on their butt. The most impressive play though was a run on the goaline. They pulled Iupati and he pushed this DT straight back into an ILB and contained them both! And he didn't just get in their way he was literally blocking both. I've never been big on Guards going in the 1st round but this kid has got a shot with good workouts. I think he COULD play tackle but why move him from where he's great to somewhere where he'll just be adequte? I think he has Steve Hutchinson size potential I really do. I could see him landing in Minnesota or Cincy in the 1st. I'm usually againest my team picking interior O-Lineman that early but i'd consider the Vikings drafting Iupati a great move. Hutchinson and he could combine to be one of the best Guard duos of all time...and god help the teams that would have to take on AP behind those two.

Scott Wright
12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Did you see him in the Humanitarian Bowl Scott? This kid was impressive. I've heard all the hype and have watched a few highlights but I never got around to watching an Idaho game(shock of the century I know!). The biggest question I had was whether or not he was consistent and in at least this game he was. He showed great speed and quickness for a guy his size. Then he should his strength on a couple plays where he just straight knocked D-Linemen on their butt. The most impressive play though was a run on the goaline. They pulled Iupati and he pushed this DT straight back into an ILB and contained them both! And he didn't just get in their way he was literally blocking both. I've never been big on Guards going in the 1st round but this kid has got a shot with good workouts. I think he COULD play tackle but why move him from where he's great to somewhere where he'll just be adequte? I think he has Steve Hutchinson size potential I really do. I could see him landing in Minnesota or Cincy in the 1st. I'm usually againest my team picking interior O-Lineman that early but i'd consider the Vikings drafting Iupati a great move. Hutchinson and he could combine to be one of the best Guard duos of all time...and god help the teams that would have to take on AP behind those two.

I did watch the game and Tweeded about it a few times. Iupati is awesome and a legitimate first round talent in my opinion. I think he is capable of playing tackle in the pros.

RaiderNation
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I really want this guy on the Raiders. Would be the perfect RG or RT for us

zachsaints52
12-31-2009, 06:55 PM
It says something that he was a 2nd team all-american coming out of Idaho.

RaidersInYoFace
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
He'll go in the top 15.No doubt about it. He's about a sure fire safe pick as your gonna get in this draft. Iupati will be in the NFL for 10-15 years if he stays healthy.

I dont understand why people seem to think DT's are so highly rated but not the guys that can eliminate those high profiled DT's in a game.

I would have absoluelty no problem with the Raiders taken him at #9 overall. Think thats too high? Consider this-, I wanted Mack last year at #7 and Al Davis takes a WR that cant catch a cold and is sitting on the bench while Mack is playing solid football. I got roasted by Raider fans, well- seems I was right

Hated the Russell and DMC pick. Man, when you get a high draft pick - better take a player thats one of the best at his position and will play for you for many years

Everybody laughed at the Janikowski pick at #17 -- High? to some- but he's still playing and is leading the NFL is kicking stats--

Screw speed and "potential" - I'll draft those guys in rds 4 - 7

But the 1st 3 rds's - I'm taking the best player at his position regardless of need. Iupati would be the #1 guy on my list. Iknow drafting him, I can plug him in from day 1 and have him and Gallery as two of possibly the best pair of guards in the NFL. Thats a nice interior line for Oakland

billsfootball15
01-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Iupati was clearing holes and creating running lanes against Bowling Green. In my opinion, I think he ill definitely be off of the board early on in the 2nd round. Besides the fact he wasnt going up against elite DTs weekin and weekout what is not to like?

Abaddon
01-07-2010, 07:48 PM
He'll go in the top 15.No doubt about it. He's about a sure fire safe pick as your gonna get in this draft. Iupati will be in the NFL for 10-15 years if he stays healthy.

I dont understand why people seem to think DT's are so highly rated but not the guys that can eliminate those high profiled DT's in a game.

I would have absoluelty no problem with the Raiders taken him at #9 overall. Think thats too high? Consider this-, I wanted Mack last year at #7 and Al Davis takes a WR that cant catch a cold and is sitting on the bench while Mack is playing solid football. I got roasted by Raider fans, well- seems I was right

Hated the Russell and DMC pick. Man, when you get a high draft pick - better take a player thats one of the best at his position and will play for you for many years

Everybody laughed at the Janikowski pick at #17 -- High? to some- but he's still playing and is leading the NFL is kicking stats--

Screw speed and "potential" - I'll draft those guys in rds 4 - 7

But the 1st 3 rds's - I'm taking the best player at his position regardless of need. Iupati would be the #1 guy on my list. Iknow drafting him, I can plug him in from day 1 and have him and Gallery as two of possibly the best pair of guards in the NFL. Thats a nice interior line for Oakland

How ya doin', Vinny?

stephenson86
01-07-2010, 08:11 PM
titans ditch eugene amano, groom harris another year, trade down pick up iupati CJ3K

bored of education
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I still like Vlad over him. But Vlad and Iupati are my two favorite prospects not named Jerry.

WarOnTheShore
01-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I still like Vlad over him. But Vlad and Iupati are my two favorite prospects not named Jerry.

Exactly how many Massachusetts games you catch?

bored of education
01-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Exactly how many Massachusetts games you catch?

over the last two years ive been to 12

tEk
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I read he barely speaks English since he grew up in Samoa. That could be an issue come draft timei went to this kid in high school... he seemed to assimilate pretty well to american culture.

bored of education
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
why do you ask sir?btw Vlad speaks Fluent french!

Byrd430
01-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I LOVE Iupati. And I think he's a late first round pick because of his position, although I dunno if he'll go there because of his position. To me, he's one of the rare "no doubt he'll succeed" prospects, and probably woth a flyer (sp?) over a questionable "maybe he'll succeed" prospect.

Byrd430
01-07-2010, 11:00 PM
To raidersinyoface:

Although I do agree with you, I think top 15 picks are reserved for those who can become game changers, no matter the risk. This is no slight to Iupati, as I think he'll become an excellent pro, ten-year starter at G, and elemental to the offensive line, but guards will never be a game-changer.

TACKLE
01-08-2010, 12:29 AM
To raidersinyoface:

Although I do agree with you, I think top 15 picks are reserved for those who can become game changers, no matter the risk. This is no slight to Iupati, as I think he'll become an excellent pro, ten-year starter at G, and elemental to the offensive line, but guards will never be a game-changer.

Shaun Alexander disagrees.

zachsaints52
01-08-2010, 12:45 AM

Burn

over the last two years ive been to 12

Burn!!!

But anyways I can see where the guys coming from. But maybe because legit game breaking DT's are more rare?

Saints-Tigers
01-08-2010, 02:21 AM

That's just what I was thinking. If this guy can turn into a hutchinson type guard, he's certainly worth even a high first rounder.

I'd love to take him and kick Carl Nicks out to RT.

vidae
01-08-2010, 02:31 AM
I have no illusions that Iupati will last to the second round, but if he was there when we're picking in the 2nd, I'd absolutely love for us to get him. He would start for day one and help with this youth movement we seem to have along the offensive line.

TornadoRex
01-08-2010, 02:34 AM
He'll be a Buccaneer with pick #35.

Menardo75
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM

He is a stud I think his best fit will be at guard, but he could be a great fill in at tackle. When I talked to him he didn't seem to have any problems with english.

GaMeTiMe
01-08-2010, 01:38 PM
He's a first-rounder. I don't see how he possibly falls to the 2nd. Teams would probably be stumbling over each other to move up if he reached the 28-32 range.

There are plenty of teams that will be sitting at the end of the round (Philly, Cincy, San Diego, Indy) that can use help on the line and would love to add a sure-fire stud like Iupati. Once most of the top talent is gone after the top 20 and teams really start looking at the BPA's I'm sure his name will fly off the board sooner rather than later.