PDA

View Full Version : Best overall LB right now?

katnip
12-05-2009, 12:58 PM
It's between Patrick Willis & David Harris (homer???) right now. In My Opinion.

Shane P. Hallam
12-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I'd probably say Patrick Willis, but it is so tough to compare different LBs in different systems. I think Ray Lewis is still playing at an extremely high level as well.

katnip
12-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I'd probably say Patrick Willis, but it is so tough to compare different LBs in different systems. I think Ray Lewis is still playing at an extremely high level as well.

Yea, about Ray Ray. That hit on Garcon was sick.

Babylon
12-05-2009, 01:07 PM
OLB-DeMarcus Ware

ILB-Patrick Willis

Splat
12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
OLB-DeMarcus Ware

ILB-Patrick Willis

Hard to argue with this.

TitanHope
12-05-2009, 01:51 PM
4-3 OLB: Keith Bulluck, Tennessee

4-3 ILB: Jon Beason, Carolina

3-4 OLB: DeMarcus Ware, Dallas

3-4 ILB: Patrick Willis, San Francisco

Up-And-Comer: OLB Brian Cushing, Texans

MIKE was kind of hard, but I'm a big Beason fan so I went with him.

BeerBaron
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
If Bullock gets a mention then so should Lance Briggs, lol. Not his fault the rest of the team can't pull their **** together....

TitanHope
12-05-2009, 02:21 PM
If Bullock gets a mention then so should Lance Briggs, lol. Not his fault the rest of the team can't pull their **** together....

*Bulluck ;)

Briggs was the other guy I was figuring. Really couldn't go wrong with either one as they're the premier guys at their position and have been for years.

phlysac
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM
It's ridiculous how many nasty, young ILB's there are in the league right now.

Shahin
12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Willis and it isn't close. For me at least.

GhostDeini
12-05-2009, 03:59 PM
P-Willie. He is a young Ray Lewis.

Bills2083
12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Patrick Willis

and

Ray Lewis

P-L
12-05-2009, 04:38 PM
An argument could be made for Willis, Harris, or Lewis in my opinion. Jon Beason is probably at the top of the next tier.

Matthew Jones
12-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd probably go with Ray Lewis #1, but Patrick Willis is very close. I just think Lewis is unparalleled in terms of the leadership he brings to a team and the amount of preparation he does - it's almost like what a quarterback would do. DeMarcus Ware would be my third choice - he's having a down year but still has 8 sacks on the year. I'd be surprised if he finished in single digits.

tjsunstein
12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Patrick Willis is definitely numero uno for me.

Clay Matthews is no where close to being the best but if we're mentioning Cushing as an up and comer then I wanna throw Matthews out there to satisfy the homer in me. He's played extremely well this year and gets better every week. His tackles aren't up there with the leaders but he has 5 sacks, 1 FF that was returned for a TD, and 3 recoveries. I think the strip and score on Peterson put him on the map for a lot of people.

cvv84
12-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, D'Qwell Jackson if I was starting a team today.

tjsunstein
12-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, D'Qwell Jackson if I was starting a team today.

Why D'Qwell Jackson of all people?

CC.SD
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Does ray ray still think tackling sproles to end a game was one of the best plays of his entire ridiculous career?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-05-2009, 06:05 PM
So hard to pick just one... top 4 though are definitely DJ Williams, Elvis Dumervil, Andra Davis, and Mario Haggan.

tjsunstein
12-05-2009, 06:07 PM
So hard to pick just one... top 4 though are definitely DJ Williams, Elvis Dumervil, Andra Davis, and Mario Haggan.

But in all seriousness, if people are talking about Dumervil being worth a 1st and 3rd plus a new huge contract, where does he rank amongst 3-4 OLBs these days?

steel man
12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
i can not believe that no one has said Harrison......defensive player of the year

OLB - Harrison

ILB - Willis

12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
But in all seriousness, if people are talking about Dumervil being worth a 1st and 3rd plus a new huge contract, where does he rank amongst 3-4 OLBs these days?

Other than Demarcus Ware and James Harrison I can't think of anyone.

cvv84
12-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Why D'Qwell Jackson of all people?

Because he's a stud LB.

tjsunstein
12-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Because he's a stud LB.

Debatable. I think he's the beneficiary of a poor defensive line.

TitanHope
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Debatable. I think he's the beneficiary of a poor defensive line.

It's not like Shaun Cody, Corey Williams, and Robaire Smith are scrubs. Jackson was playing extremely well before he went down with an injury. One of the lone bright spots on the Browns.

But is he on the level of Willis, Lewis, or Harris? I don't think so, but it's not like that's an insult either.

Ness
12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Patrick Willis perhaps. But he does struggle in coverage sometimes.

tjsunstein
12-05-2009, 08:07 PM
It's not like Shaun Cody, Corey Williams, and Robaire Smith are scrubs. Jackson was playing extremely well before he went down with an injury. One of the lone bright spots on the Browns.

But is he on the level of Willis, Lewis, or Harris? I don't think so, but it's not like that's an insult either.

No, they're not scrubs but to take D'Qwell over everyone aside from Willis and Beason is saying a lot. D'Qwell may have been playing well but sacks excluded, he has 8 tackles for loss in his career. So you have to wonder how many tackles of his were 3-4 yards from the line of scrimmage.

TitanHope
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
No, they're not scrubs but to take D'Qwell over everyone aside from Willis and Beason is saying a lot. D'Qwell may have been playing well but sacks excluded, he has 8 tackles for loss in his career. So you have to wonder how many tackles of his were 3-4 yards from the line of scrimmage.

I agree with you there, but I think Jackson is a good enough young player to be chosen over the likes of Lewis if you're starting a team today. Remember, he was saying who'd he'd start a team with, so age could be a factor in this and give Jackson an advantage. David Harris is the only young ILB that comes to mind, but if it's just one player that's in question and he likes Jackson more, then to each his own I guess.

DoughBoy
12-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Patrick Willis is nasty. I remember in the game agianst SanFran this year there was a play where Chris Johnson bounced a run to the outside and Patrick Willis tripped while he was in pursuit and he still caught Chris. Granted P-Will still had a great angle on him but there are no other LBs that can do that IMO.

The Unseen
12-05-2009, 08:43 PM
So I guess the rumors of Ray Lewis' death were greatly exaggerated.

DeepThreat
12-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Coming from a Browns fan, I don't think D'Qwell deserves to be in the same sentence as Willis or Beason. He's a solid player, but nothing more.

Ravens1991
12-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Does ray ray still think tackling sproles to end a game was one of the best plays of his entire ridiculous career?

I think so, you have to admit that play was literally perfect. a split second off and we lose that game. I also read he free lanced on that play.

I am glad to see Ray is getting props, the guy is a freak of nature, he is one of the greatest LBs of all time w/ skills, but add in his un heard of leadership abilities and how he is 34 and still a elite LB he is a freak.

phlysac
12-05-2009, 09:18 PM

I think I get what you mean. I agree Jackson isn't in the "elite" category, but I love him as a player and think he could be one of the best.

The reason I question your point is this...

You said he has is the benefactor of poor DL play, and then say he doesn't get enough tackles for loss. As a 3-4 ILB, poor DL allows for extra blockers to get to the 2nd level, making it difficult for the ILBs to penetrate. One would explain the other. It would be difficult for a 3-4 ILB to BENEFIT from poor DL play. Hence the tremendous importance of stout space-eaters in the front-3.

DiG
12-05-2009, 09:48 PM
for just one year its hard to argue against LFB right now. there isnt one part of his game right now that he isnt playing at a premiere level. if im starting a franchise then yes im taking willis or harris. but for one year i want LFB along with his leadership and experience. he is playing some of his best football ever right now.

Vikes99ej
12-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Probably between E.J. Henderson, Chad Greenway, or Ben Leber.

gsorace
12-05-2009, 10:09 PM
2007 was a good year to draft a linebacker.

Patrick Willis
Jon Beason
David Harris
LaMarr Woodley
Lawrence Timmons
Paul Posluszny
Stewart Bradley

LizardState
12-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Best young LBs : Willis, Mayo

Best old OLBs: Lewis, Brookings

Best overall ILBs: Briggs, Pierce

Best in coverage : Urlacher (when healthy)

Best converted DE to designated OLB passrusher: Ware

I'll think of some more later

Supporting Caste
12-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Willis is definitely one of the best but keeping Ware and Harrison out of the discussion is just absurd. I'd say it's between those three, personally.

TACKLE
12-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Not saying he's the best but Curtis Lofton has been very impressive. I really thought he should have been a first rounder when he came out. People kept knocking him down because of his height and lack of top end athleticism but everybody knew he was going to be a tackling machine once he got in the league.

Supporting Caste
12-06-2009, 12:27 AM

See, this is just wrong. Ware is SO much more than a passrusher. He's one of the absolute best (no exaggeration) at stopping the run out of all LBs, outside or inside, 3-4 or 4-3.

In fact, run stopping is the most reliable part of Ware's game. His passrushing is top notch but his run defense is flawless.

holt_bruce81
12-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Not saying he's the best but Curtis Lofton has been very impressive. I really thought he should have been a first rounder when he came out. People kept knocking him down because of his height and lack of top end athleticism but everybody knew he was going to be a tackling machine once he got in the league.

I love that dude. I was begging for the Rams to take him.

As for the question. I think you got to go with Patrick Willis at Middle and DeMarcus Ware at Outside.

SenorGato
12-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Coming from a Browns fan, I don't think D'Qwell deserves to be in the same sentence as Willis or Beason. He's a solid player, but nothing more.

That's mostly Mangini's coaching though, isn't it?

I'd go with Willis and Ware. That said, I think David Harris is very close to Willis, and after those two the 3rd standout to me is Beason.

Harris is really, really good. He's a better pass rusher than Willis so far, and both are average to slightly above in coverage.

Cicero
12-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Gotta go with Patrick Willis.

sup3rdup3r
12-06-2009, 02:06 AM
this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZiHzZgottA&feature=related

Day One Pick
12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Give me James Harrison on the outside and David Harris on the inside of any defensive scheme. Oh and give me Darrelle Revis at CB. Is that asking too much?

DeepThreat
12-06-2009, 11:13 AM
That's mostly Mangini's coaching though, isn't it?

Nothing to do with Mangini. The Browns have a good DC in Rob Ryan and D'Qwell wasn't amazing under Romeo either.

terribletowel39
12-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Like Antonio?? This is a joke right?? Ask any Giants fan and AP is probably the worst defender on the team and are happy he has been put on IR.

And Overall?? He probably couldn't cover Terrance Cody out of the backfield.

Don Vito
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/ninerinsider/2008/06/26/willis.jpg

sweetness34
12-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Lance ************* Briggs.

In all seriousness though I'll go with Willis.

sweetness34
12-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Best young LBs : Willis, Mayo

Best old OLBs: Lewis, Brookings

Best in coverage : Urlacher (when healthy)

I'll think of some more later

Errrm, Briggs is not an ILB.

stephenson86
12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
i can not believe that no one has said Harrison......defensive player of the year

OLB - Harrison

ILB - Willis

if you look closely that trophy says demarcus ware

superman8456
12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Top Tier for me would Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, and London Fletcher. I'm a big fan of Fletcher because he has been great his whole career. He hasnt missed a game his whole career, which is pretty impressive for a 5'10 undrafted LB.

Stewart Bradley would be in this thread if he didnt have that knee injury to start the season.

12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Probably between E.J. Henderson, Chad Greenway, or Ben Leber.

Those guys are 5, 6 and 7 for me. Robert "Domestic Terrorist" Ayers, Pat Willis and Demarcus Ware round out the top 10 for me.

Miaoww
12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I still think Willis is overrated, his coverage ability isn't all that.

dhp318
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM

I dont think he's any worse than most any other ILBs besides maybe Urlacher.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Beason is better in coverage than Willis*

*Willis is better in other facets

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.degiro.com/wordpress/i/NFL%20fines%20Ray%20Lewis%20%20for%20hit%20on%20Oc hocinco.jpg

bigbluedefense
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
3-4

WOLB - DeMarcus Ware
SILB - Patrick Willis
WILB - Jarrod Mayo
SOLB - Lamar Woodley

4-3

SAM - Brian Cushing
MIKE - Curtis Lofton?
WILL - Lance Briggs

4-3 MIKE wouldve been Stewart Bradley if he didn't blow out his knee before the season started.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
It's alarming how there isn't even a mention of London Fletcher with all of the names I have seen in this thread. IMO he is the best sideline to sideline tackler in the game right now despite being inferior to guys like Willis and Beason athletically. Fletcher just knows how to shed off blockers and how to take angles. He's honestly in on every single tackle. And this isn't just a product of having Albert in front of it because he's been top 5 in the league in tackling every year this decade and the past 3 with the Skins he's had a horrific D-line. He's also surprising fluid in coverage and only really struggles when facing top notch hybrid TE's. For a guy who has the most tackles this decade it's still shocking to me how he's never made a pro bowl and still doesn't get much respect. I mean the guy since he came in the league in 98 has more tackles than Ray Lewis who is considered a top 5 LB all time. If he ends up out playing Ray by a couple of years he could end up having more career tackles in less years, and still have never made a pro bowl. There is so much wrong with the Skins but I think he deserves credit for being the one constant on every team he's been with. It's incredible but he's almost playing better now than even when he was in his "prime" with the Rams and Bills. I know a lot of him not getting any pub has to do with him being an undrafted player, coming from D3 John Carroll, and being 5-9" stumpy and not having a 4.4 forty yard dash, but the guy is a flat out baller. Ray might have better pieces around him but I'd argue that at this point them being the same age London is performing at a higher level. Ray is at times a step slow now but Fletcher still is pounding guys every single play, no plays off.

gsorace
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Tackles are one of the most meaningless stats in professional sports, right up there with QB rating and saves in baseball.

Supporting Caste
12-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Fletcher is really good but we're talking about the BEST, which he clearly isn't.

Anyone who doesn't mention James Harrison, however, is being a bit silly.

BigBanger
12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Everyone talks about Fletcher being the most underrated, but I ask, "How can a guy be so underrated when everyone says he's underrated?"

A guy that gets no recognition and can do just about anything on the field is Karlos Dansby. Dude is a stud and easily one of the better ILBs in the game. That is an underrated LB.

I don't consider DeMarcus Ware, a DE, an OLB, but he's better than each and every LB in the NFL, and its not even close.

Calvin & Kevin
12-07-2009, 07:57 PM
No one gonna mention Demeco Ryans? Granted I don't get to watch a lot of Texans football but I thought that guy was a player. Also Jerod Mayo deserves better than to get a "oh yeah" mention in page 3 of this thread.

Draft King
12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

This. Read my location, he's been the NFL's leading tackler up until this past week for a reason, and is a one man wrecking crew on the Falcon's defense... literally. He's on of those up and coming players that you will keep hearing about for the next 7-8 years. Other than him I think Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis and London Fletcher-Baker are obvious choices, but I also like DeMarcus Ware, James Harrison, and Jon Beason. Don't forget great young 3-4 inside backers in Jerod Mayo and David Harris. Not quite yet but Brian Cushing will be mentioned here in the next couple years, he's been a stud thus far for Houston.

Timbathia
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Other than Demarcus Ware and James Harrison I can't think of anyone.

Dumervil has only played 12 games as a linebacker. I think we need to give him another 20 games (which should equate to about 25 to 30 more sacks) at that position before he can come into this discussion. I think he is easily the best rookie OLB in the NFL though.

Supporting Caste
12-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Haha, why is it that threads like this always results in homers getting butthurt when their 5-10 range guy doesn't get mentioned as potentially best in the league?

Like, it'd be one thing if guys like Fletcher, Lofton and Ryans didn't get mentioned in a top 10 ILB discussion (and it would never happen), but it's another to suggest something is wrong when no one boldly calls them the best.

21ST
12-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Dumervil has only played 12 games as a linebacker. I think we need to give him another 20 games (which should equate to about 25 to 30 more sacks) at that position before he can come into this discussion. I think he is easily the best rookie OLB in the NFL though.

what do you mean

21ST
12-08-2009, 09:48 AM
If Flecther isnt the number 1 ILB in the leauge he is number 2

Timbathia
12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
what do you mean

on page one of this thread someone asked how Dumervil fits in with the best OLBs right now. I was merely pointing out that he has only played 12 games as an OLB. Generally people want to see a larger sample size than that before even considering someone as the best at a particular position. Dumervil is fantastic at rushing the QB, but the Broncos try and make sure he doesnt have to do much more than that. He is definitely still learning the position.

roscoesdad27
12-08-2009, 10:27 PM
It's alarming how there isn't even a mention of London Fletcher with all of the names I have seen in this thread. IMO he is the best sideline to sideline tackler in the game right now despite being inferior to guys like Willis and Beason athletically. Fletcher just knows how to shed off blockers and how to take angles. He's honestly in on every single tackle. And this isn't just a product of having Albert in front of it because he's been top 5 in the league in tackling every year this decade and the past 3 with the Skins he's had a horrific D-line. He's also surprising fluid in coverage and only really struggles when facing top notch hybrid TE's. For a guy who has the most tackles this decade it's still shocking to me how he's never made a pro bowl and still doesn't get much respect. I mean the guy since he came in the league in 98 has more tackles than Ray Lewis who is considered a top 5 LB all time. If he ends up out playing Ray by a couple of years he could end up having more career tackles in less years, and still have never made a pro bowl. There is so much wrong with the Skins but I think he deserves credit for being the one constant on every team he's been with. It's incredible but he's almost playing better now than even when he was in his "prime" with the Rams and Bills. I know a lot of him not getting any pub has to do with him being an undrafted player, coming from D3 John Carroll, and being 5-9" stumpy and not having a 4.4 forty yard dash, but the guy is a flat out baller. Ray might have better pieces around him but I'd argue that at this point them being the same age London is performing at a higher level. Ray is at times a step slow now but Fletcher still is pounding guys every single play, no plays off.

they're both tackling machines but take a look at rays interception and sack totals....add in the intangibles and lfb just doesnt stack up....rays one of the best players of all times.

TitanHope
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
No one gonna mention Demeco Ryans? Granted I don't get to watch a lot of Texans football but I thought that guy was a player. Also Jerod Mayo deserves better than to get a "oh yeah" mention in page 3 of this thread.

Been outplayed by rookie Brian Cushing this year, but he's still a very good player.

Job
12-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Bobby Carpenter.

Supporting Caste
12-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Bobby Carpenter.

IF he's not the best, then he's the second best.

Shahin
12-09-2009, 03:12 AM

i don't think anybody thinks Mayo or Ryans are the two best LBs....but i could be wrong

abaddon41_80
12-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Willis is top 3-7 amongst ILBs in coverage.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Patrick Willis, Keith Bulluck, Ray Lewis, DeMeco Ryans and D'Qwell Jackson.

katnip
12-13-2009, 10:24 PM
3-4

WOLB - DeMarcus Ware
SILB - Patrick Willis
WILB - David Harris
SOLB - Lamar Woodley

4-3

SAM - Brian Cushing
MIKE - Curtis Lofton?
WILL - Lance Briggs

4-3 MIKE wouldve been Stewart Bradley if he didn't blow out his knee before the season started.

fixed it for you.. seriously tho. Any1 else think Harris is a beast?

gsorace
12-13-2009, 10:33 PM
fixed it for you.. seriously tho. Any1 else think Harris is a beast?

Me, I'm not biased or anything though