PDA

View Full Version : A Theoretical Question

Zycho32
12-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Really didn't know where to put this, but I figure you guys would be able to answer this in the best detail.

If any of you frequented the DCFL section while it was going, I proclaimed I was going to write a book or series of books concerning the sports world in the future, part of it being a Minor League system for Football- maybe the UFL, maybe not.

The main character was who I made for the DCFL but never got the chance to see in action.

Anyway, the question is; if a prospect has sub 4.3 speed, just how [BLEEP]ing awful does he have to be everywhere else to NOT be drafted by an NFL Club?

A Perfect Score
12-05-2009, 08:39 PM
It doesnt matter how bad he is, as long as Al Davis is alive he is guaranteed to be picked top 10.

phlysac
12-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Really didn't know where to put this, but I figure you guys would be able to answer this in the best detail.

If any of you frequented the DCFL section while it was going, I proclaimed I was going to write a book or series of books concerning the sports world in the future, part of it being a Minor League system for Football- maybe the UFL, maybe not.

The main character was who I made for the DCFL but never got the chance to see in action.

Anyway, the question is; if a prospect has sub 4.3 speed, just how [BLEEP]ing awful does he have to be everywhere else to NOT be drafted by an NFL Club?

They don't have to be "awful". There are so many skills that a player must possess in order to be a talented NFL player. Track stars don't just naturally become good football players. Speed is far from the most important factor.

Zycho32
12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
They don't have to be "awful". There are so many skills that a player must possess in order to be a talented NFL player. Track stars don't just naturally become good football players. Speed is far from the most important factor.

Okay, I'll elaborate further.

The character is essentially a WR/DB hybrid who stands roughly 5'10 and about 180 pounds give or take a few. Pretty much will only be a WR or DB at the Post-College levels because of his size.

Hard hitter. I mean the guy isn't scared of violent contact, whether giving it or taking it. Hasn't the sense to NOT try to nail an opponent who has six or so inches and a hundred-plus pounds on him. Can be a devastating open field tackler and/or blocker. (In fact, he was touted in DCFL as a potential Special Teams Ace, which is the path I want to take with him).

Has little Football IQ in regards to recieving or pass coverage. Hands aren't NFL quality, route running is still very rusty, recieving in general is still approached with a proverbial shotgun; no finesse or touch. Couldn't cover an opposing reciever if his life depended on it; maybe he can press, but has no instinct matching recievers move for move despite a supposedly fantastic recovery ability.

So all he really has in excellent mobility and a willingness to clobber others.

phlysac
12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Okay, I'll elaborate further.

The character is essentially a WR/DB hybrid who stands roughly 5'10 and about 180 pounds give or take a few. Pretty much will only be a WR or DB at the Post-College levels because of his size.

Hard hitter. I mean the guy isn't scared of violent contact, whether giving it or taking it. Hasn't the sense to NOT try to nail an opponent who has six or so inches and a hundred-plus pounds on him. Can be a devastating open field tackler and/or blocker. (In fact, he was touted in DCFL as a potential Special Teams Ace, which is the path I want to take with him).

Has little Football IQ in regards to recieving or pass coverage. Hands aren't NFL quality, route running is still very rusty, recieving in general is still approached with a proverbial shotgun; no finesse or touch. Couldn't cover an opposing reciever if his life depended on it; maybe he can press, but has no instinct matching recievers move for move despite a supposedly fantastic recovery ability.

So all he really has in excellent mobility and a willingness to clobber others.

Yeah. You basically said he is super fast and extremly physically aggressive. Other than that he has ZERO football skills. It's like a 7' 350lb guy with tremendous endurance. It doesn't mean he can play basketball worth a lick.

As for "how terrible" they have to be in order to not be drafted...

Talent scouts will evaluate an overall athleticism, sports IQ, and motivation and willingness to learn. If the "player" is strong in those areas, professional coaching can mold a player out of them, if not... no chance.

Zycho32
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Yeah, willingness and motivation would ironically be the 'deal breakers', because I really don't want to make him a head case or utterly lethargic.

Shane P. Hallam
12-06-2009, 12:01 AM
What about returning kicks?

j05son
12-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Can he have character issues? That will decrease his draft stock even more (or eliminate it).

Caddy
12-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Where can I pre-order your book?

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Can he have character issues? That will decrease his draft stock even more (or eliminate it).

This. I remember watching Cecil Collins destroy his NFL career because of character issues. He was still drafted but what could have been, never was.

Zycho32
12-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Just how bad were his character issues, CJ?

MiWolves
12-06-2009, 02:30 AM
He got kicked out of LSU (I believed) for breaking and entering the girls dorms. He then transferred to McNeese state and got drafted out of the fifth round and after one year of pro football he got arrested for breaking and entering a woman's house and he said he only wanted to watch her sleep.

Zycho32
12-06-2009, 02:33 AM
What about returning kicks?

As sad as it sounds, he's actually mediocre. Kick Returns are rather pedestrian due to a lack of elite vision. Still, I can't see a team not TRYING to improve him there because of his speed.

Punt Returns... okay, he doesn't call for Fair Catches, like AT ALL. He's as likely to slip three tacklers in the first five yards as get drilled the moment he catches the punt and lose the ball. He's the proverbial Heart Attack on that unit. It's not even a question of disregarding what the coach tells him; it's more a matter of nerves and adrenaline overriding his common sense in the heat of the moment.

...and as far as character issues, I never gave him anything more poisonous than an overly aggressive attitude when riled up. Can you really develop the more egotistical traits living in a state like Wyoming and toiling on ST Units for a low-level FBS Team?

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 02:51 AM
He got kicked out of LSU (I believed) for breaking and entering the girls dorms. He then transferred to McNeese state and got drafted out of the fifth round and after one year of pro football he got arrested for breaking and entering a woman's house and he said he only wanted to watch her sleep.

Exactly. After the crap he pulledat LSU, he tried to come to NSU and we said "Hell **** No". I actually watched him play HS ball. He had 1st-2nd round talent. Sadly, he was dumb as a box of rocks; he'd have had trouble spelling cat if you gave him the C and the T.

Gay Ork Wang
12-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Adarius Bowman?

Shane P. Hallam
12-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Someone that fast would get drafted late unless there are injury or character issues IMO.

Well, I guess if he didn't get an invite to the combine, it would be tough to justify that time per say. Maybe the interviews go horribly wrong.

tjsunstein
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I mean the guy isn't scared of violent contact, whether giving it or taking it. Hasn't the sense to NOT try to nail an opponent who has six or so inches and a hundred-plus pounds on him. .

It's worded so wrong.

SuperKevin
12-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Give him a vagina. That should take care of his draft stock