PDA

View Full Version : Think what you want.

HawkeyeFan
12-06-2009, 05:05 PM
_FLqOVuoO54

Please do not make this into a religious discussion. I believe in aliens, and ET ( Extra Terrestrial ) life forms. This is a gigantic galaxy, and space is a mysterious area.

Water on the moon, and mars.

Caddy
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I believe in alien life, just not necessarily intelligent ones.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I absolutely believe in life on other planets. Our understanding of biology and how life came to be on this planet makes it exceedingly unlikely that we're the only outpost of life in the universe.

That said, I also don't believe that any civilization that has the ability to visit our planet and has on multiple occasions could be kept a secret. I don't think you understand how insanely more advanced a civilization would be to successfully travel that sort of distance. The idea that a mass of incompetent governments could keep that under wraps is just silly.

CashmoneyDrew
12-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I want to believe.

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I absolutely believe in life on other planets. Our understanding of biology and how life came to be on this planet makes it exceedingly unlikely that we're the only outpost of life in the universe.

That said, I also don't believe that any civilization that has the ability to visit our planet and has on multiple occasions could be kept a secret. I don't think you understand how insanely more advanced a civilization would be to successfully travel that sort of distance. The idea that a mass of incompetent governments could keep that under wraps is just silly.

Unless the government had support from the aliens, or it was in fact the aliens hiding their presence.

sweetness34
12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Well they built the pyramids so......

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Unless the government had support from the aliens, or it was in fact the aliens hiding their presence.

Oh Snap. This is probably what's happening right now.

Twiddler
12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Meh, I'll believe it when I see it (although I do believe in life besides us, am just skeptical of whether or not it could have reached us by now). As for the video, all it really did was splice in some clips from a CNN news conference last April with random UFO sightings (which I think many could be explained, if fully investigated) and then used a vague speech by Obama to make it look like they all fit together perfectly. I don't know, I'll gladly eat some crow if I'm wrong, but I'm just skeptical.

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Meh, I'll believe it when I see it (although I do believe in life besides us, am just skeptical of whether or not it could have reached us by now). As for the video, all it really did was splice in some clips from a CNN news conference last April with random UFO sightings (which I think many could be explained, if fully investigated) and then used a vague speech by Obama to make it look like they all fit together perfectly. I don't know, I'll gladly eat some crow if I'm wrong, but I'm just skeptical.

Well if these aliens came from galaxies closer to the center of the universe than ours and while life involves a great deal of chance you have to figure that if you go deep enough there should be other planets that had life well before we did that could very plausibly be that much more advanced than we are.

The Unseen
12-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I've seen some smart people argue for the legitimacy of some of the UFO movement, as in there are organizations who are able to argue for the existence of UFOs as something not man-made and refute other fabricated incidents. That being said, I haven't investigated it enough to see what I think about it. Either way, I'm not too worried. If there are aliens coming and looking at us as UFOs, I'm not sure how much of a threat they are.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Well if these aliens came from galaxies closer to the center of the universe than ours and while life involves a great deal of chance you have to figure that if you go deep enough there should be other planets that had life well before we did that could very plausibly be that much more advanced than we are.

Yes, but them actually finding us then making it to us is either only made possible if their lifespan is thousands of times longer than our own or they've actually found a way to manipulate space-time. Both seem pretty unlikely.

I mean, we're not just talking "they've been around longer and have better technology". That plays a role in making craft that are able to sit out in space for a long time. That doesn't play a role in faster than light travel.

RaiderNation
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
World ends in 2012.... maybe its those god damn aliens

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, but them actually finding us then making it to us is either only made possible if their lifespan is thousands of times longer than our own or they've actually found a way to manipulate space-time. Both seem pretty unlikely.

I mean, we're not just talking "they've been around longer and have better technology". That plays a role in making craft that are able to sit out in space for a long time. That doesn't play a role in faster than light travel.

Well...I'd imagine that there are a lot more planets that do not support life than do support life thus I imagine that if they decided to start colonizing and mapping out space, they would have had to set up a lot of distant independent colonies and worked their way out this far. Plus they very well may have the ability to manipulate space time if you think about the infiniteness of the universe.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Plus they very well may have the ability to manipulate space time if you think about the infiniteness of the universe.

:confused:

JFLO
12-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm an alien

Crickett
12-06-2009, 06:11 PM
My first thought: I do think there is alien life out there. Whether it is intelligent life, well, that's another question.

My second thought: This city needs a better class of criminal, and Heath Ledger is gonna give it to them.

My third thought: The dramatic music combined with UFO conspiracy video had me rolling my eyes.

jballa838
12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
wait.... MJ retired. Who is gonna play the MONSTARS!!!!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd86/FresHuMan12/MichaelSpaceJam.jpg

Twiddler
12-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Well...I'd imagine that there are a lot more planets that do not support life than do support life thus I imagine that if they decided to start colonizing and mapping out space, they would have had to set up a lot of distant independent colonies and worked their way out this far. Plus they very well may have the ability to manipulate space time if you think about the infiniteness of the universe.

I guess this is where I start to question the alien thing. Yeah, it seems very realistic just by plain odds that there is other life out there, but to have visited us, it always seems like many great scientific leaps are taken (in terms of the argument used). If I see scientific evidence that either these speculative things are either possible or actually being done, then I'll believe it, but it just seems like they are always just ways to explain the UFO's that people are seeing.

DoughBoy
12-06-2009, 06:25 PM

WE ARE MOTHER ******* DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I guess this is where I start to question the alien thing. Yeah, it seems very realistic just by plain odds that there is other life out there, but to have visited us, it always seems like many great scientific leaps are taken (in terms of the argument used). If I see scientific evidence that either these speculative things are either possible or actually being done, then I'll believe it, but it just seems like they are always just ways to explain the UFO's that people are seeing.

I don't think they've got to earth but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they did. I think either is fairly probable or at least plausible.

VoteLynnSwan
12-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Assuming there are aliens with much advanced technology, the first thing they would do is scan the universe for planets which could harbor life. Is this not what we are doing right now?

Obviously once they find the planets they would have to visit... It's also not crazy that aliens could use worm holes to travel through space time, and it also may not be crazy that they have some type of warp drive which essentially accomplishes the same thing.

Also, if aliens were to visit... if they weren't looking for a new home... they would likely simply study us to see how primitive life functions. They would be studying evolution, much like we would do with a more primitive form of life than ourselves. If they were studying us, the most important thing they could do would be to keep themselves hidden from us, because their presence would alter our lives.

So basically what i'm saying here is that IF there is intelligent life in space, and they had the technology to travel between solar systems/galaxies, well then it's not crazy to think that aliens could be here, they could be among us, or they could be observing us all without us knowing.

The fact that people have "seen" alien craft is more far fetched to me than aliens actually having visited Earth.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2009, 06:59 PM
It's also not crazy that aliens could use worm holes to travel through space time, and it also may not be crazy that they have some type of warp drive which essentially accomplishes the same thing.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

yo123
12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
This is the ******* coolest thing ever. That's all I have to say. Don't know if it's true or not, but just the idea of it-******* awesome.

VoteLynnSwan
12-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

haha, there are people who think it's possible... I couldn't tell you if it is or not, just that there's actually people who believe it is.

WMD
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
****** aliens, man!

Twiddler
12-06-2009, 07:13 PM
This is the ******* coolest thing ever. That's all I have to say. Don't know if it's true or not, but just the idea of it-******* awesome.

The idea of it is pretty cool, but if there was such information and it was secured, I think releasing it would be a pretty stupid move (politically, that is). I think many people would freak the **** out. That's just me though.

WMD
12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
People would definitely freak out. Aliens would kick our ass, too. Haven't you guys seen Mars Attacks?? I'm gonna go buy that Slim Whitman record just in case they **** around.

CashmoneyDrew
12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
People would definitely freak out. Aliens would kick our ass, too. Haven't you guys seen Mars Attacks??

You're wrong sir. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum will save us!

WMD
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
ndChcyOAEcs

I have now saved your lives. If an alien shows up at your door while you're reading this thread, just turn your speakers up real loud.

Crickett
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
nrRCR0iOMr0

M.O.T.H.
12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I def. think there is life out there. I dont know about intelligent life but, def. of the microscopic variety.

lol. I would welcome an alien arrival. haha. It'd without a doubt be the most amazing thing you've ever seen. Seeing a big ole mother ship arrive, Independence Day style. Without all the 'splosions. Awesome. I always have a soft spot for alien invasion movies.

Brodeur
12-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I want to believe.

http://lupusranting.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/i_want_to_believe.jpg

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-06-2009, 08:02 PM

LeBron James and Kobe Bryant: Two heated rivals, considered by most to be the greatest players today put aside their differences to save basketball kind when the Monstars return as the "Supreme Team"(You heard of the Redeem Team? Well we're the Supreme Team!). 5 stars.

jballa838
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
LeBron James and Kobe Bryant: Two heated rivals, considered by most to be the greatest players today put aside their differences to save basketball kind when the Monstars return as the "Supreme Team"(You heard of the Redeem Team? Well we're the Supreme Team!). 5 stars.
easy 700 million

12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I really do believe in life and intelligent life on other planets. If the chance of life originating on a planet was 1 in a billion(conservative estimate), then there would be life on a billion billion planets(that's 18 zeroes). If there was a one in one billion chance of life becoming intelligent(again, pretty conservative), then that leaves us with a billion planets with intelligent life.

Do I believe in UFOs? Not really. To leave the solar system, an escape velocity of 1000 km/s is required, according to Wikipedia(admittedly not the best source, but it's a high number either way). That's a fraction of what it would take to escape the gravitational pull of the whole galaxy. So that would leave only the life in the Milky Way Galaxy to come into contact with us. And the galaxy is ~90,000 light years across. So realistically, that leaves a lot less of the Milky Way population capable of contacting us.

I think it's really naive to think that, as old and massive as the universe is, that there is none and has never been any intelligent life out there. I say "never has been" because I think that with the lifespan of stars, Gamma Ray Bursts and Asteroids/Comets, there have probably been more civilizations wiped out by these natural space occurrences than we can count. And it will happen to us one day, make no mistake about it.

Back to the sheer size of the universe. The absolute nearest galaxy to our own, Andromeda, is 2.5 Million light years away. That means when we look at it, we see it as it was 2.5 Million years ago. So if you were somehow instantly transported to the closest point to here in the Andromeda Galaxy, you'd be looking at Earth as it was 2.5 Million years ago. Which is around the time H-mo(can't say ****) Habilis started walking around. There have been galaxies found 13 billion years away. That's less than a billion years after the Big Bang. The universe is ******* huge. I don't think we'll ever come into contact with other intelligent life, but I'm 99.99999999% sure it's somewhere out there. It's too damn huge for it not to be the case.

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I am skeptical and let me explain why:

Let us assume that there is life on other planets in the universe. Let us also assume that this life is so technologically advanced and so intelligent that it has devised a means of leaving its own solar system and traveling to others.

Why has this life taken so long to develop some form of meaningful and permanent commonly documented communication with us? If it wanted to destroy us surely it could and, well, here we are. Surely, this life being so much more intelligent then we would have surely figured out a way to present itself to us a manner where we would not feel threatened.

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I am skeptical and let me explain why:

Let us assume that there is life on other planets in the universe. Let us also assume that this life is so technologically advanced and so intelligent that it has devised a means of leaving its own solar system and traveling to others.

Why has this life taken so long to develop some form of meaningful and permanent commonly documented communication with us? If it wanted to destroy us surely it could and, well, here we are. Surely, this life being so much more intelligent then we would have surely figured out a way to present itself to us a manner where we would not feel threatened.

That depends entirely on why they came to earth, if it was to welcome us to the interplanetary community that I would agree, but if they've come for research purposes or simply to document the activities of near by solar systems, there'd be no reason for them to expose themselves.

WMD
12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
What makes you think they want to contact us? If there's more life out there than us, maybe they found another place to get in contact with. You know, a place with smarter beings and such.

The Unseen
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM
That depends entirely on why they came to earth, if it was to welcome us to the interplanetary community that I would agree, but if they've come for research purposes or simply to document the activities of near by solar systems, there'd be no reason for them to expose themselves.

This.

Think of aliens as the ultimate anthropologists.

Whistler6
12-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Water on other planets doesn't tell us anything about ET life...Didn't Signs prove that?

=\

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 09:25 PM

How often does a scientist hide himself from a lab rat?

12-06-2009, 09:28 PM
The correct answer is we are a reality TV show. Except we can't know it's a reality TV show. If this post is deleted and I never post again, spread my story yall, they wont like me posting this.

Twiddler
12-06-2009, 09:29 PM

The lab rat doesn't have the ability to alter its behavior because it knows that its being watched. Obviously people would behave differently if they knew they were being watched (not saying that we're being watched).

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Depends on the situation. Someone studying the mating habits of the silverback gorilla isn't going to go up to a gorilla, grab it by the ear and drag it to a female, giving him a slap on the ass as he walks off. Instead he's going to watch and observe, waiting for them to mate naturally.

YAYareaRB
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I often think about life in other places in space. Are they more advanced than us, are they the same, or is the civilization just starting? I like to think of life in other universes just like ours doing things we do, thinking the things we think and that one day we can make contact with one another.

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
The lab rat doesn't have the ability to alter its behavior because it knows that its being watched. Obviously people would be different if they knew they were being watched (not saying that we're being watched by aliens).

fixed......

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
I often think about life in other places in space. Are they more advanced than us, are they the same, or is the civilization just starting? I like to think of life in other universes just like ours doing things we do, thinking the things we think and that one day we can make contact with one another.

I think if you could examine the entire univers you'd find life forms that are just starting, you'd find primative cultures, you'd find species just beginning their industrialization, you'd find species comparable to us technologically and you'd find species far more advanced than our own, all depending on where you look.

YAYareaRB
12-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I think if you could examine the entire univers you'd find life forms that are just starting, you'd find primative cultures, you'd find species just beginning their industrialization, you'd find species comparable to us technologically and you'd find species far more advanced than our own, all depending on where you look.

That's what I always think about. I just want to know so much about the millions and trillions of universes out there but our advancement so far in technology doesn't permit us to do so. Just imagine the lives being lived, much like ours in other parts of space.

Inter-planetary sports would be badass!

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 09:37 PM
The lab rat doesn't have the ability to alter its behavior because it knows that its being watched. Obviously people would be different if they knew they were being watched (not saying that we're being watched).

Someone wasn't paying attention during Psych 101. Of course it does, it is just so used to the scientist, it doesn't. If these life forms that are so technologically advanced have been visiting us for some 5000 or more years, you don't think they would have constructed a means for them to observe us and at the same time make them selves known.

Surely the UFO's people claim to see can't be periodic visits to check on our progress. A life form so advanced would be able to predict our development based on their own society's growth, there by visiting only , say, once every 5-7 thousand years. If they were here strictly to observe and they are not opening up their technologies openly and freely, there is no reason for them to get caught with frequent visits.

The Unseen
12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of this assumption that we are a stepping scale on some sort of obvious trail of development. Who knows, maybe this is the pinnacle of culture. Alas, historicism dies hard.

Twiddler
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Someone wasn't paying attention during Psych 101. Of course it does, it is just so used to the scientist, it doesn't. If these life forms that are so technologically advanced have been visiting us for some 5000 or more years, you don't think they would have constructed a means for them to observe us and at the same time make them selves known.

Ha, never took Psych (at least in college). I think a better way to put it would be the level that the lab rat alters its behavior in comparison to how much a human would alter its behavior if it knew it was being watched by aliens is drastically different. I'm not really sure how you're thinking they would be observing us and making themselves known at the same time (that probably sounds bitchy, but it's not, lol). Could you elaborate?

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Ha, never took Psych (at least in college). I think a better way to put it would be the level that the lab rat alters its behavior in comparison to how much a human would alter its behavior if it knew it was being watched by aliens is drastically different.

Then explain how ancient societies on our own planet have evidence (if you can call images etched into stone walls, which I admit is weak at best in many cases, evidence). If they have been here before and interacted, why the sudden need to not be seen. For that matter you'd think that a life form (them) so intelligent could get away with not being seen by a life form (us) so unintelligent.

Xonraider
12-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Best movie ever.

Job
12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
The lab rat doesn't have the ability to alter its behavior because it knows that its being watched. Obviously people would behave differently if they knew they were being watched (not saying that we're being watched).

And how do you know? Every report there is about rats' behavior is based on humans watching them.

Go_Eagles77
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
The correct answer is we are a reality TV show. Except we can't know it's a reality TV show. If this post is deleted and I never post again, spread my story yall, they wont like me posting this.
e5kW74Er_4o
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kW74Er_4o)

12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Not a rat, but my dog really alters his behaviour when people aren't around. If there's food he can reach, he's been known to go into that room and wait till you leave before he makes a move to eat it.

Twiddler
12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
And how do you know? Every report there is about rats' behavior is based on humans watching them.

Fair question. I'm just assuming that the rat doesn't have the capability to change its behavior drastically when it is completely isolated from humans.

Go_Eagles77
12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Can they watch us... fap?

Hawk
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
That's what I always think about. I just want to know so much about the millions and trillions of universes out there but our advancement so far in technology doesn't permit us to do so. Just imagine the lives being lived, much like ours in other parts of space.

Inter-planetary sports would be badass!

We'll just take scientists with the sperm and egg cells of the current top male and female athletes and have them develop perfect athletes when they are about 25 light years away from the interplanetary stadium.

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Fair question. I'm just assuming that the rat doesn't have the capability to change its behavior drastically when it is completely isolated from humans.

You are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Why would it alter it's behavior if it didn't know it was being observed or interacted with.

I'll give you an example and everyone here with a pet will know what I mean.

If you have a pet that is familiar with you, let's say an old dog, and you walk into the room calmly, that dog may not even look at you because it is comfortable with you and can accurately predict your actions when you act in a manner it is familiar with. In that situation, you could sit there all day long, interacting with the dog and observe its normal behavior.

Now walk ito the same room with the same dog acting all loud and crazy. Totally different stimuli, totally different response and the observation you make will now be altered by your own behavior that was unfamiliar to the dog.

So here is my question, after thousands of years of being here, why didn't the aliens, which are so much more advanced then us in the first place, communicate, interact and keep up said contact? Surely it is intelligent enough to know what the result of being comfortable with us for thousands of years would yield. We (humans) would then be that old, familiar dog; able to be interacted with and observed at will.

jballa838
12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
seriously. space jam

Twiddler
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
You are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Why would it alter it's behavior if it didn't know it was being observed or interacted with.

If you have a pet that is familiar with you, let's say an old dog, and you walk into the room calmly, that dog may not even look at you because it is comfortable with you and can accurately predict your actions when you act in a manner it is familiar with. In that situation, you could sit there all day long, interacting with the dog and observe its normal behavior.

Now walk ito the same room with the same dog acting all loud and crazy. Totally different stimuli, totally different response and the observation you make will now be altered by your own behavior that was unfamiliar to the dog.

So here is my question, after thousands of years of being here, why didn't the aliens, which are so much more advanced then us in the first place, communicate, interact and keep up said contact? Surely it is intelligent enough to know what the result of being comfortable with us for thousands of years would yield. We (humans) would then be that old, familiar dog; able to be interacted with and observed at will.

I think you're confusing my posts with that of another poster. I never said that we're being watched by aliens on Earth (I don't think we are). I just disagreed with the lab rat/scientist analogy.

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I think you're confusing my posts with that of another poster. I never said that we're being watched by aliens on Earth (I don't think we are). I just disagreed with the lab rat/scientist analogy.

The point I was trying to make was that after a long enough period, the stimuli provided by the full introduction of the scientist becomes mute.

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Can they watch us... fap?

Why do you think they're here? ;)

You seem to be assuming that the aliens are watching us for purely scientific reasons, maybe they're just here to steal our porn and sell it on the interplanetary black market.

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 10:39 PM

You seem to be assuming that the aliens are watching us for purely scientific reasons, maybe they're just here to steal our porn and sell it on the interplanetary black market.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Crimson_Monstah/Neko-shotgun.gif

KEEP YOUR ALIEN HANDS OFF MY PORN!

The Unseen
12-06-2009, 10:40 PM

Alien porn :O

Probable title:

Sextraterrestrials 5: Unidentified ****-able Object

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Alien porn :O

Probable title:

Sexterrestrials 5: Unidentified ****-able Object

How did you know the interplanetary black market name for Back Door ***** 9?

The Unseen
12-06-2009, 10:43 PM
checked out my username lately

GASP

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Prk35BdGA8U

E.T- Eddie Torres. the extra-testicle

Brent
12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
the universe is too big for us to be the only inhabitants.

Bills2083
12-06-2009, 10:59 PM

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1998/images/truman.jpg

M.O.T.H.
12-06-2009, 11:13 PM
I remember when I used to think I was the star in some kind of Truman Show or that no one else actually existed in their own life or something along those line. Umm yeah, I'm sure everyone has had a thought like this a time or two...or I was just a weird paranoid kid. I dont know.

Bills2083
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I remember when I used to think I was the star in some kind of Truman Show or that no one else actually existed in their own life or something along those line. Umm yeah, I'm sure everyone has had a thought like this a time or two...or I was just a weird paranoid kid. I dont know.

I too have thought that.
Pretty crazy.

Perhaps all SWDC members are stars of such a show.

The Unseen
12-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I remember getting a little weirded out at the thought that everything may just have been a dream.

Call it a Cartesian Crisis

aNYtitan
12-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Our planet is a microcosm of the entire universe. There is definitely something out there, but given that it is constantly growing at an exponential rate, its doubtful we ever do. Its like picking a needle out of a barn of hay

CashmoneyDrew
12-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I remember getting a little weirded out at the thought that everything may just have been a dream.

Call it a Cartesian Crisis

Yeah, I wonder sometimes if the real world is the dream world and the dream world is the real world. I've had so much deja vu in my life. It freaks me out a little.

M.O.T.H.
12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Deja Vu is awesome. Sometimes it's stronger than others. Like the memories/images w/e, last a little bit longer in my case. Havent had it in a while. It's crazy, though when you think about it.

fenikz
12-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I wonder sometimes if the real world is the dream world and the dream world is the real world. I've had so much deja vu in my life. It freaks me out a little.

so i go to sleep to escape the insane world of panda ninja's chasing me through a forest?

12-06-2009, 11:32 PM
I have deja vu all the time, it's unreal. Also, to really get you guys thinking, technically you can never be sure anyone exists except yourself. You know you exist because you are you, and you think and you go through everyday life. You exist. But you can never be 100% sure I exist. Or that anyone else exists. You strongly believe we exist, but you can never be sure that everyone else in the world isn't just a figment of your imagination.

M.O.T.H.
12-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I've thought about that a bunch of times. ^

the decider13
12-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Deja Vu is awesome. Sometimes it's stronger than others. Like the memories/images w/e, last a little bit longer in my case. Havent had it in a while. It's crazy, though when you think about it.

Deja Vu used to happen to me a lot but it hasn't happened in a while. It really freaks me out sometimes.

thefalconer
12-06-2009, 11:34 PM
I have deja vu all the time, it's unreal. Also, to really get you guys thinking, technically you can never be sure anyone exists except yourself. You know you exist because you are you, and you think and you go through everyday life. You exist. But you can never be 100% sure I exist. Or that anyone else exists. You strongly believe we exist, but you can never be sure that everyone else in the world isn't just a figment of your imagination.

i used to think this as a child. i also used to think my family might be aliens so i would run into a room stealthily and try to catch them in their alternate form. but yeah, i used to think the entire world was a test for me and nothing was real except me.

E-Man
12-06-2009, 11:44 PM

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx97/JML9999/Exploding-head.gif

DoughBoy
12-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Wouldn't it be sweet if you died but you woke up and it turns out you were in some virtual world game all along?

E-Man
12-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Would'nt it be sweet if you died but you woke up and it turns out you were in some virtual world game all along?

If that would be the case, I'd rather my virtual world be something like Gears of War or Mass Effect. I want to save the universe with big ass guns, and cool ass powers that lets me rip people in half. If my life is just a game, then I want it to be Duke Nukem style.

VoteLynnSwan
12-07-2009, 12:34 AM

This isn't where you said it, but you mentioned that an advanced Alien race could merely look at its own history to determine its evolutionary path... But my point is this... How much do WE actually know about our evolutionary path. Almost everything we know about primitive human cultures comes from archaeological remains. We are merely guessing what transpired based on the remains. It would be much more beneficial if we could go back and watch the lives of humans unfold as they happened. That's what alien life could be interested in... Examining the evolution of culture and society, maybe to relate it to its own evolution, but maybe also just to gain knowledge about inhabitants of the universe.

The way I see it, if aliens are trying to study us, they definitely should not make their presence known. Their presence would radically shape the course of society (perhaps it already has...)

The lab rat example I don' think is a particularly strong one because laboratory experiments are not meant to examine the natural behavior of an animal. That's not to say that aliens wouldn't or haven't done similar experiments on humans. (alien abductions? Who knows...)

I would say that if aliens were here, there's virtually no way we'd ever know. However, there is always the chance that they could leave a trace... Perhaps unintentionally. Perhaps intentionally. There is no way to really anticipate the motivations of an alien race visiting our planet.

VoteLynnSwan
12-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Wouldn't it be sweet if you died but you woke up and it turns out you were in some virtual world game all along?

what a horrible game this would be.

DoughBoy
12-07-2009, 12:40 AM
what a horrible game this would be.

Not really, it was probably supposed to be GTA or something like that.

CashmoneyDrew
12-07-2009, 12:57 AM
What if there is no such thing as aliens, but UFOs are people from the future observing us 4400 style?

12-07-2009, 12:58 AM
I once had a dream I was in a GTA game. It was right after Michael Jackson died. Why is that relevant? Well, because in this dream, there were people walking around in gorilla suits telling Michael Jackson jokes and then killing people. Why gorilla suits? Well, I'm pretty sure it's because the night of the dream, my friend kept playing that song Echo by Gorilla Zoe. And then we did something illegal that may have influenced my brain strangely. So yeah, anyway, I'm trying to get away from the gorilla suited killers, and they're all in the middle of the city in one big circle area. So I manage to sneak by them, and I thought I was safe. But then all of a sudden one had emerged in front of me, from the opposite direction of where the others were, as I entered a car. We didn't get away fast enough, I got shot and as I got shot I quickly paused and went to re-load my save point, but I woke up.

M.O.T.H.
12-07-2009, 01:01 AM
I had a dream about the movie, the Grudge, a few days ago. But, then I remembered that movie sucked, so I woke up.

TitleTown088
12-07-2009, 01:01 AM

Cotigo ergo sum.

I got a bad joke to go along, I hope someone gets it...

Rene Descartes walks into a bar. The bar tender says " will you have something to drink". Rene says " I think not". He then disappears.

HawkeyeFan
12-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Thank god I'm not the only one. I've had Deja Vu a lot, and I thought it was only me. So I don't really talk about it.

yo123
12-07-2009, 01:08 AM
I swear all of you just got together and decided that you were going to mess with my mind. This whole thread is a complete mindfuck.

HawkeyeFan
12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I was just thinking... When you dream, could your mind wander off into an infinite space? And that infinite space is actually your future? So every time you dream, your mind is connecting through another dimension in that infinite space, to the future, and waking up brings your mind back to the present dimension? Thus making Deja Vu, not a dream but a reality in the infinite space we call a dream?

TitleTown088
12-07-2009, 01:19 AM
I once had a dream a cheeseburger was eating me

yo123
12-07-2009, 01:19 AM
I was just thinking... When you dream, could your mind wander off into an infinite space? And that infinite space is actually your future? So every time you dream, your mind is connecting through another dimension in that infinite space, to the future, and waking up brings your mind back to the present dimension?

This is where I officially give up on trying to sleep tonight.

HawkeyeFan
12-07-2009, 01:22 AM
This is where I officially give up on trying to sleep tonight.
I re-edited, forgot to add the ending thought.

vikes_28
12-07-2009, 01:25 AM
UFO's don't exist. Its all a government conspiracy.

Rosebud
12-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Cotigo ergo sum.

Rene Descartes walks into a bar. The bar tender says " will you have something to drink". Rene says " I think not". He then disappears.

Descartes jokes are never cool, not to mention that the basic premise of the joke is flawed because why would Descartes not get a drink at the bar?

DoughBoy
12-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I once had a dream a cheeseburger was eating me

Maybe when we dream we are actually waking up and from our virtual world. And when we go to sleep in the real non-virtual world, scientist put random **** in our head so we dont remember about what we were doing (like a cheesburg eating you) while we were sleeping/waking. It makes alot of sense, why would we want to know this life wasn't real?

CJSchneider
12-07-2009, 07:21 AM
This isn't where you said it, but you mentioned that an advanced Alien race could merely look at its own history to determine its evolutionary path... But my point is this... How much do WE actually know about our evolutionary path. Almost everything we know about primitive human cultures comes from archaeological remains. We are merely guessing what transpired based on the remains. It would be much more beneficial if we could go back and watch the lives of humans unfold as they happened. That's what alien life could be interested in... Examining the evolution of culture and society, maybe to relate it to its own evolution, but maybe also just to gain knowledge about inhabitants of the universe.

The way I see it, if aliens are trying to study us, they definitely should not make their presence known. Their presence would radically shape the course of society (perhaps it already has...)

The lab rat example I don' think is a particularly strong one because laboratory experiments are not meant to examine the natural behavior of an animal. That's not to say that aliens wouldn't or haven't done similar experiments on humans. (alien abductions? Who knows...)

I would say that if aliens were here, there's virtually no way we'd ever know. However, there is always the chance that they could leave a trace... Perhaps unintentionally. Perhaps intentionally. There is no way to really anticipate the motivations of an alien race visiting our planet.

It is that very scenario that indicates the logical flaw. If I want to observe without my presence (introduction of stimuli) being known, I go through great lengths to ensure it is not. I fail to believe that a civilization that has figured out how to travel at the speed of light and manipulate time (obviously for obvious reasons) has failed to create and adequate cloaking device.

We have evidence ranging from pictoral records from cave art to amateur video footage (assuming they are all real - which I could use to take this in an entirely new tangent if I wanted to)documenting there presence. So if they know that we know they exist, why are they hiding? Why didn't they make themselves known thousands of years ago so that they could be accepted now? Why wait until we have the means (admittedly minimal at best) to repel them?

Granted we can not decisively say why they would be here, but using simple logic, we can predict some of their behaviors.

descendency
12-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Given the size of the universe, it is almost perfect for that level of conspiracy to exist.

I refuse to believe in conspiracy. However, I won't try to act like you are wrong for believing it.

The Unseen
12-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Cotigo ergo sum.

Cogito,

and yes, I've heard it. But I thought the guy who told me it said that he made it up...probably misheard him.

trkaline
12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Dey Took Er Jerbs!!!!!

wogitalia
12-07-2009, 09:11 AM
So if they know that we know they exist, why are they hiding? Why didn't they make themselves known thousands of years ago so that they could be accepted now? Why wait until we have the means (admittedly minimal at best) to repel them?

The last line assumes aggression, which may not be why they have traveled at all. Also, it is possible that they hope to encourage development by introducing stimuli, such as ufos.

Personally I believe there is almost certainly life out there, I also believe there is most likely life that is more advanced than us in some way, whether it be technologically is another tale, but I also find it unlikely that we have been visited without knowing it. I mean our governments can't even cover up sex scandals, can't coordinate to thwart serious issues for us, yet we are going to believe they can cover up something like this?

EvilNixon
12-07-2009, 09:45 AM
These "UFOs" are really just spheres of the Mother Plane or Ezekiel's Wheel

“The Honorable Elijah Muhammad said these planes were used to set up mountains on the earth. The Qur'an says it like this: We have raised mountains on the earth lest it convulse with you. How do you raise a mountain, and what is the purpose of a mountain? Have you ever tried to balance a tire? You use weights to keep the tire balanced. That's how the earth is balanced, with mountain ranges. The Honorable Elijah Muhammad said that we have a type of bomb that, when it strikes the earth a drill on it is timed to go into the earth and explode at the height that you wish the mountain to be. If you wish to take the mountain up a mile (1.6 km), you time the drill to go a mile (1.6 km) in and then explode. The bombs these planes have are timed to go one mile (1.6 km) down and bring up a mountain one mile (1.6 km) high, but it will destroy everything within a 50-square-mile (130 kmē) radius. The white man writes in his above top secret memos of the UFOs. He sees them around his military installations like they are spying.

brat316
12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Maybe they are watching on, and we are just one big TV show. And that they are soon coming down to lets us know that we are being canceled.

CJSchneider
12-07-2009, 10:14 AM
The last line assumes aggression, which may not be why they have traveled at all. Also, it is possible that they hope to encourage development by introducing stimuli, such as ufos.

Personally I believe there is almost certainly life out there, I also believe there is most likely life that is more advanced than us in some way, whether it be technologically is another tale, but I also find it unlikely that we have been visited without knowing it. I mean our governments can't even cover up sex scandals, can't coordinate to thwart serious issues for us, yet we are going to believe they can cover up something like this?

As I stated before, I think we can rule out aggression. Had their intentions been hostile, they would have wasted no time taking us out eons ago.

So let us assume that their presence (questionable modern day proof and all) is to encourage technological growth. Why the change in the medium by which they introduce themselves. Primitive accounts have us actually meeting and interacting with "said aliens". Why the change in MO? Wouldn't interaction know spurn more growth than it could have centuries ago?

The Unseen
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I'd be a little pissed if aliens are like they've been depicted. Damnit, I want some creativity!

Paul
12-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I hope they look exactly like us, just with gills or a tail or something awesome.

YAYareaRB
12-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I hope they look exactly like us but smarter and are willing to share and teach us their ways the betterment of humanity

MetSox17
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I hope the females have something we can ****.

Don't deny it, you know you've thought about it too.

Brent
12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
that is called "brain in a vat" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat

it's something an introductory philosophy class should talk about

comes from Descartes.

Paul
12-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I hope the females have something we can ****.

Don't deny it, you know you've thought about it too.

I hope they look exactly like us, just with gills or a tail or something awesome.

Brent
12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
You know, sometimes I wish I did a little more with my life instead of hangin' out in front of places sellin' weed 'n ****. Like, maybe be an animal doctor. Why not me? I like seals 'n ****. Or maybe an astronaut.

Yeah... I'd be the first ************ to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien life form... and **** it. And people'd be, like, "There he goes; homeboy ****** a Martian once."

VoteLynnSwan
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
As I stated before, I think we can rule out aggression. Had their intentions been hostile, they would have wasted no time taking us out eons ago.

So let us assume that their presence (questionable modern day proof and all) is to encourage technological growth. Why the change in the medium by which they introduce themselves. Primitive accounts have us actually meeting and interacting with "said aliens". Why the change in MO? Wouldn't interaction know spurn more growth than it could have centuries ago?

perhaps they know that more primitive cultures would have been more likely to worship them without question, believing they are a supernatural being. Modern society could potentially react violently to aliens. Perhaps their way of getting us more accustomed to them is by showing brief glimpses of themselves.

CJSchneider
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
perhaps they know that more primitive cultures would have been more likely to worship them without question, believing they are a supernatural being. Modern society could potentially react violently to aliens. Perhaps their way of getting us more accustomed to them is by showing brief glimpses of themselves.

Surely I have implied. If not, let me go one record of saying I agree.

Which brings me back to the question, why establish a face to face contact with a primitive society only to break it and show only glimpses, when you could have stayed in contact from the beginning and accomplish the same result as the society developed?

I've given this some thought in the past if you can't tell.Blame it ion a youth preoccupied with Star Wars and Star Trek.

Rosebud
12-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Could be different aliens, maybe they were here to help us develop but after time those scientist aliens got wiped out by degenerate porn freak aliens who came to earth to record every sexual act, so now they have no reason to show themselves while the old aliens did.

Brent
12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
why establish a face to face contact with a primitive society only to break it and show only glimpses, when you could have stayed in contact from the beginning and accomplish the same result as the society developed?
why not let us discover intergalactic travel on our own? why simply give us technology? I think Bradbury wrote about this... They might want to foster the start of civilization, but then keep their hands off until we show that we can reach their level of technological advancement, and then allow us to interact with them.

CJSchneider
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
why not let us discover intergalactic travel on our own? why simply give us technology? I think Bradbury wrote about this... They might want to foster the start of civilization, but then keep their hands off until we show that we can reach their level of technological advancement, and then allow us to interact with them.

So aliens that can travel the speed of light are again foiled by an idiot with a cam-corder aimed at the night sky. Again, I fail to believe that those in possession of such technologies could not find a way to observe without being seen - ever, until there choosing.

dabears10
12-07-2009, 02:17 PM
http://theheroiclife.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/alf_l.jpg

Rosebud
12-07-2009, 02:37 PM
So aliens that can travel the speed of light are again foiled by an idiot with a cam-corder aimed at the night sky. Again, I fail to believe that those in possession of such technologies could not find a way to observe without being seen - ever, until there choosing.

Just because I believe in aliens and that they could be on this planet does not mean I buy any of the UFO "sightings", although if a tripping ************ told me he saw an alien I might buy that, no way aliens have an answer to LSD.

CashmoneyDrew
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Flying Humanoids are interesting and kind of weird me out......

Brent
12-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't believe those "UFO sightings" you see on ****** shows the Sci-Fi channel used to show. But, as I said before, I would be shocked if a universe as large as ours doesn't have intelligent life in it. Now, I would be willing to accept that they are as advanced or less than we are, but given the age of the universe, I would like to think that there is at least ONE other species out there which is far more advanced than our own.

obligatory south park reference: we are just their entertainment.

The Unseen
12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Why are we conforming aliens to human behavioral hypotheticals? IF they have the technology to reach earth, there isn't a solid argument against them not actually being here. Meaning, it is irrelevant if it doesn't make sense for them to not reveal themselves/not destory us/whatever. We're assuming human behavior on another species. Given that they can get here, there's nothing to argue that it doesn't make sense for them to have only been seen as little UFO glimpses.

Brent
12-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Given that they can get here, there's nothing to argue that it doesn't make sense for them to have only been seen as little UFO glimpses.
someone sort of did and I would have to agree with it:

perhaps they know that more primitive cultures would have been more likely to worship them without question, believing they are a supernatural being. Modern society could potentially react violently to aliens.

The Unseen
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
But that still assumes that aliens behave in X/Y way when they have so much power. ****, that's what supernatural humans would do. But what do we have to assume that aliens are anything like that?

Brent
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
But that still assumes that aliens behave in X/Y way when they have so much power. ****, that's what supernatural humans would do. But what do we have to assume that aliens are anything like that?
We don't have any thing, so we have to assume what we can reason out.

I have few examples of actions a conscious being is capable of, I can assume they are mildly safe assumptions because I have no other clue of how they might act.

Lack of an alternative would mean that I have to go with what's available.

The Unseen
12-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Lack of an alternative would mean that I have to go with what's available.

Well that's what I'm arguing against. We don't know how they act, so why is it bad to assume that they're not just ******* around with us?

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2009, 04:36 PM
How are we supposed to not think what we want?

The Unseen
12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
How are we supposed to not think what we want?

Different sense of commanding. You always do what you want in one sense, but in the sense HawkeyeFan means by saying that, he's not going to ridicule you for thinking what you want. Some people ridicule people other people for their opinions. So it's also a different sense of "think," meaning holding opinions.

Scotty D
12-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Someone told me an interesting theory about how all the UFOs we see are time travelers. :/

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Different sense of commanding. You always do what you want in one sense, but in the sense HawkeyeFan means by saying that, he's not going to ridicule you for thinking what you want. Some people ridicule people other people for their opinions. So it's also a different sense of "think," meaning holding opinions.
but even if someone ridicules me for an opinion there should be a reason for that and that should be discussed no? so either he is right to ridicule him or he isnt.

The Unseen
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
but even if someone ridicules me for an opinion there should be a reason for that and that should be discussed no? so either he is right to ridicule him or he isnt.

I agree. Though I don't know what this has to do with your original post.

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree. Though I don't know what this has to do with your original post.
well, why mention you can openly express your opinions if you can anyways and if people ridicule it, it is either warranted so dont be ashamed of being corrected since it actually helps you, or it is not, so you can help others to understand

D-Unit
12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Do aliens play football?

Caddy
12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
If they can play basketball...

CashmoneyDrew
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Someone told me an interesting theory about how all the UFOs we see are time travelers. :/

Like the 4400.

CC.SD
12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I believe fat chicks are aliens.

12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I believe fat chicks are aliens.

I agree.

http://memeparty.com/i/46019beae06081c426b769fa68035300.jpg

http://memeparty.com/i/394511ef3f0d33a225131afaed261203.jpeg

Job
12-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Even trapped-in-stone Han Solo looks like he wants that thing out of his sight.

jballa838
12-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I agree.

http://memeparty.com/i/46019beae06081c426b769fa68035300.jpg

http://memeparty.com/i/394511ef3f0d33a225131afaed261203.jpeg
when you see it, you'll **** bricks.

Brodeur
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Han Solo was not trapped in stone, he was trapped in frozen carbonite.

Paul
12-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't Be that guy.

Job
12-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Han Solo was not trapped in stone, he was trapped in frozen carbonite.

I knew it wasn't stone (I mean, it's ******* star wars, stone doesn't exist 10000 years in the future), but was too lazy to search what it was.

Brodeur
12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I knew it wasn't stone (I mean, it's ******* star wars, stone doesn't exist 10000 years in the future), but was too lazy to search what it was.

Star Wars takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, not in the future.

YES I WILL BE THAT GUY PAUL.

wogitalia
12-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Perhaps they did not like the result of their interaction with our primitives. I mean assuming they helped the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians, all they did was use the technology to destroy each other and other humans. Assume a peaceful people who came to help and all the achieved was giving the technology to kill many a human. Maybe they decided that giving humans the aspiration rather than the knowledge was better for us, I mean as a people we seem to be getting more tolerant as time passes and our wars are generating less bloodshed and death.

Now I'm not sure I believe all that, it is perhaps possible also that these aliens died to our common diseases when they first arrived and now fear the same result if contact is made and are instead choosing to observe.

However you explain alien visits are going to require a suspension of reality and quite a few assumptions, that much is pretty much a given.

CJSchneider
12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Perhaps they did not like the result of their interaction with our primitives. I mean assuming they helped the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians, all they did was use the technology to destroy each other and other humans. Assume a peaceful people who came to help and all the achieved was giving the technology to kill many a human. Maybe they decided that giving humans the aspiration rather than the knowledge was better for us, I mean as a people we seem to be getting more tolerant as time passes and our wars are generating less bloodshed and death.

Now I'm not sure I believe all that, it is perhaps possible also that these aliens died to our common diseases when they first arrived and now fear the same result if contact is made and are instead choosing to observe.

However you explain alien visits are going to require a suspension of reality and quite a few assumptions, that much is pretty much a given.

Seriously? Where some grow tolerant, we are no more civil in many places on the planet then we were 3000 years ago. As for tech vs. aspiration, we really evened things up when when we choose go to the moon AFTER we dropped the A-bomb, now didn't we

Again, you want me to believe that a civilization, capable of crossing time and space is unable to vaccinate itself against the germs of our planet and have been floating around in flying disks for 3000 years in order to avoid catching a cold. H.G. Wells would be proud.

I honestly don't mean to come off as condescending, honestly I don't. In fact, I enjoy defending my belief on this one and respect the thoughts/opinions presented.

CC.SD
12-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Hahahaha he's pushing her away

CJSchneider
12-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Hahahaha he's pushing her away

It's as if he is saying "Do not want!"

wogitalia
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Seriously? Where some grow tolerant, we are no more civil in many places on the planet then we were 3000 years ago. As for tech vs. aspiration, we really evened things up when when we choose go to the moon AFTER we dropped the A-bomb, now didn't we

Aye, but in many ways, the development of the A-bomb was a part of the path to going to the moon and it can certainly be argued that the A-Bombs development actually was to save lives and end the bloodshed. That is a different argument though. We are certainly making new discoveries as frequently as ever though, the only thing holding us back is that we have to be so "safe" with everything we research before it is usable by the general public.

Again, you want me to believe that a civilization, capable of crossing time and space is unable to vaccinate itself against the germs of our planet and have been floating around in flying disks for 3000 years in order to avoid catching a cold. H.G. Wells would be proud.

Hey why not? We are pretty advanced ourselves(relative to other known living species) and we really haven't made any progress in fighting cancer, very limited in fighting HIV/AIDS and still don't have a clue on a whole other bunch of diseases. Why not some foreign disease to the aliens that wiped them out, there are some diseases that are exclusive to certain species, why not something that just demolished the first aliens and created a rational fear.

I mean you link them to human's in their research, what if they have discovered that an afterlife really exists and as a result, medicine is something they don't value in regards to research and they have focused on other technological paths and the study/influence of humans and our pursuit of differing things may intrigue them. Who knows?

It is fun to theorise though, which is all you can do. I love to imagine the futuristic societies, they were always my favourite Stargate episodes.

CJSchneider
12-07-2009, 11:09 PM
If they have discovered an afterlife exists, and have halted medical research within there own society, what do they have to fear of a virus/disease then?

vikes_28
12-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I believe that other lifeforms exist on other planets, but not the ET kind of life. If humans moved to Mars, we could do things to make life suitable for us. I remember seeing a video in 7th grade science class or something.

D-Unit
12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
That video totally skewed the Obama's words. lol.

CC.SD
12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Aye, but in many ways, the development of the A-bomb was a part of the path to going to the moon and it can certainly be argued that the A-Bombs development actually was to save lives and end the bloodshed. That is a different argument though. We are certainly making new discoveries as frequently as ever though, the only thing holding us back is that we have to be so "safe" with everything we research before it is usable by the general public.

Hey why not? We are pretty advanced ourselves(relative to other known living species) and we really haven't made any progress in fighting cancer, very limited in fighting HIV/AIDS and still don't have a clue on a whole other bunch of diseases. Why not some foreign disease to the aliens that wiped them out, there are some diseases that are exclusive to certain species, why not something that just demolished the first aliens and created a rational fear.

I mean you link them to human's in their research, what if they have discovered that an afterlife really exists and as a result, medicine is something they don't value in regards to research and they have focused on other technological paths and the study/influence of humans and our pursuit of differing things may intrigue them. Who knows?

It is fun to theorise though, which is all you can do. I love to imagine the futuristic societies, they were always my favourite Stargate episodes.

Actually we are doing a pretty good job against cancer, if you look at even ten years ago let alone twenty, survival rates are drastically improving and well hopefully we keep that **** up.

Anyway building the tech to get the A-bomb while everyone else is battling each other is a pretty good way to win a game of Civilization but was probably not a great idea as far as human history is concerned. If you ask me there have been plenty of intelligent species throughout history that have blown themselves up in the course of the billions and billions of years the universe has been around, and we will be the next in a long long line.

You never know........

vikes_28
12-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Actually we are doing a pretty good job against cancer, if you look at even ten years ago let alone twenty, survival rates are drastically improving and well hopefully we keep that **** up.

Anyway building the tech to get the A-bomb while everyone else is battling each other is a pretty good way to win a game of Civilization but was probably not a great idea as far as human history is concerned. If you ask me there have been plenty of intelligent species throughout history that have blown themselves up in the course of the billions and billions of years the universe has been around, and we will be the next in a long long line.

You never know........

The A-Bomb could be considered the biggest mistake in the history of mankind.

CashmoneyDrew
12-08-2009, 04:03 AM
That video totally skewed the Obama's words. lol.

THE Obama. lol

Aliens exist. Blink-182 said so. Would Travis Barker lie?

wogitalia
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Would Travis Barker lie?

The truth to how the mofo survived a plane crash comes out?

Brent
12-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I remember seeing a video in 7th grade science class or something.
it's a rather interesting process. however, if we spent money on prepping the moon or mars for colonization before we solved: poverty, pollution, fossil-fuel dependency, and war, I'd be pissed.

CJSchneider
12-08-2009, 11:02 AM
it's a rather interesting process. however, if we spent money on prepping the moon or mars for colonization before we solved: poverty, pollution, fossil-fuel dependency, and war, I'd be pissed.

There is a point I can agree on. Where as I am sure I could argue the point that perhaps the answers to some of those issues may be aided by our galactic exploration, I am one to feel that we don't need to go destroying any more celestial bodies before we can learn how to take care of the one we are on.

Brent
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
well, star trek had the easy cop-out by finding unlimited resources (I forget how) so everything was about exploration and science... the perfect world!

wogitalia
12-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Probably not solving poverty or war with it, though they are conceivable down the track. But developing the kind of rocketry and fuels needed to travel and colonise nearby planets/moons would certainly have to help with pollution and fossil-fuel dependency. Also... overpopulation certainly doesn't help with poverty or war and new planets could help with that.

Those problems though have no easy fix, they exist all over the animal kingdom and are more related to survival and existence than humanity, imo of course.

12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
THE Obama. lol

Aliens exist. Blink-182 said so. Would Travis Barker lie?

His voters in Ohio will now refer to him as tObama.

DoughBoy
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM
The A-Bomb could be considered the biggest mistake in the history of mankind.

The development of it maybe, but dropping it on japan saved alot of lives. It was estimated over a million americans would have died had they envaded Japan (not to mention japan would have commited national suicide). Actually the A-bomb did less damage than the fire bombings. Biggest mistake so far - the peace confrence after World War I.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-09-2009, 02:15 AM
The development of it maybe, but dropping it on japan saved alot of lives. It was estimated over a million americans would have died had they envaded Japan (not to mention japan would have commited national suicide). Actually the A-bomb did less damage than the fire bombings. Biggest mistake so far - the peace confrence after World War I.

A lot of things are dubious about the reasons given why bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki were morally legitimate actions. Especially considering that surrender had already been publicly suggested by the Emperor.

Now, whether the omnipresent threat of nuclear war was what kept the Cold War from becoming an actual armed conflict is another dicussion.

CJSchneider
12-09-2009, 05:33 AM
A lot of things are dubious about the reasons given why bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki were morally legitimate actions. Especially considering that surrender had already been publicly suggested by the Emperor.

Now, whether the omnipresent threat of nuclear war was what kept the Cold War from becoming an actual armed conflict is another dicussion.

You could argue that particular point to death, but I doubt that an advanced species, if they exist, was watching the event unfold, got excited when we did it and said
" Cross "using nuclear energy to blow each other up and in the process save countless thousands" off on that checklist of evolutionary development."

Brent
12-09-2009, 10:36 AM
it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945, and in all probability prior to 1 Novermber 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.

We wanted Japan to surrender unconditionally, and the US didnt want Japan to surrender to Russia, so the US could be the sole post-war occupier of Japan.

DoughBoy
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Why do you guys always make me look like an idiot? :(

The Unseen
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
i'm gonna agree with brent and suggest if we want this thread to continue that that be the end of the debate

Brent
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Why do you guys always make me look like an idiot? :(
we do it out of love.

getting back on topic: I hope to hell we aren't all the universe has to offer, as far as intelligent life goes. if so, what a total disappointment.

Giantsfan1080
12-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I wonder if they would allow a pre 20th century history thread. If politics were brought up relationg to those times I wonder if Scott or the mods would care.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I wonder if they would allow a pre 20th century history thread. If politics were brought up relationg to those times I wonder if Scott or the mods would care.

I can't speak for the mods, but I do know that a lot of history discussion on this site doesn't come close to creating the same anger as discussing contemporary politics. The people who want to discuss it usually aren't grinding as much of an idealogical axe and if you come wanting to do just that, you'll probably get shut down pretty quick.

...but I doubt that an advanced species, if they exist, was watching the event unfold, got excited when we did it and said
" Cross "using nuclear energy to blow each other up and in the process save countless thousands" off on that checklist of evolutionary development."

Absolutely no argument there.

thefalconer
12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html

idk.. i saw this article and thought of this thread.

Brent
12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html

idk.. i saw this article and thought of this thread.
that looks like it's being projected from the ground.

The Unseen
12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
whatever the **** that it, it's pretty ******* awesome

CJSchneider
12-09-2009, 08:24 PM

That's because it is.

Paul
12-09-2009, 08:29 PM
It's ******* Kamehameha!

CJSchneider
12-09-2009, 08:31 PM
http://100megsfree4.com/abcsofdbz/gallery/kamehameha.jpg

Looks similar, you're probably right.

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Nah, it looks more like Piccolo's special beam cannon.

12-09-2009, 08:46 PM

All I know is that if any of you ****heads supported Pompey Magnus, I'm gonna kick your ass.

thefalconer
12-09-2009, 08:49 PM

that's cause the visitors have landed and have teamed up with the lochness monster. yeah that's right. norway bitches.

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Nah, it looks more like Piccolo's special beam cannon.

Just to support my theory....

http://saiyank.tripod.com/games/screen_shots/lotss-piccolosbc.gif

wogitalia
12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I love the tangents these sorts of threads can take. We've hit star wars, fat chicks, aliens, ancient history, ww2, nuclear bombs, dragonball z and laser light shows in the night.

It's pretty cool the Norway light show though, most plausible theory I've heard is still the Russian rocket to me but it's cool to think otherwise.

Brent
12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
http://www.ceilingcat.com/img/Ceiling_Cat__I_want_to_believe.jpg

thefalconer
12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
lYvM68AtlbA

that's not coming from the ground..

MetSox17
12-10-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.ceilingcat.com/img/Ceiling_Cat__I_want_to_believe.jpg

Ceiling cat!!!!

CashmoneyDrew
12-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Russians took responsibility and said it was a failed missile.

The Unseen
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Russians took responsibility and said it was a failed missile.

but they said no first

IT'S A CONSPIRACY

Giantsfan1080
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
All I know is that if any of you ****heads supported Pompey Magnus, I'm gonna kick your ass.

Not me. I had no problems with Julius.

steelersfan43
12-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Why would they come here to hide from people? that is ********.
--------------------------------------------------
I think its possible i just havent seen any convincing evidence yet.

The Unseen
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't see how aliens coming here to **** with us is so unbelievable.

Borat
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Once I got to look at Sam Cassell, I stopped being interested in aliens. I mean, once you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Sam-Cassell.jpg

senormysterioso
12-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Thank goodness he retired before the influx of HD....but unfortunately we still have Joakim Noah to look at

Paranoidmoonduck
12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't see how aliens coming here to **** with us is so unbelievable.

Because simply getting here is such a herculean effort that almost certainly requires manipulation of the very dimensions of time and space themselves. To be able to do that then just shine some lights in the sky makes less than no sense.

I don't see what is even remotely believable about aliens "*******" with us.

Job
12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Why not. I'd like to **** an alien too.

DoughBoy
12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Why not. I'd like to **** an alien too.

http://www.tomcarruthers.co.uk/BTS2thou_files/image008.jpg?????????

Job
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
You haven't seen her asses!!!

wogitalia
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/4/8/128837203622875908.jpg

http://thephillyphour.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/sam_cassell_et.jpg

Rosebud
12-11-2009, 05:26 AM
Why would they come here to hide from people? that is ********.
--------------------------------------------------
I think its possible i just havent seen any convincing evidence yet.

Just to make it easier for them to operate.

Because simply getting here is such a herculean effort that almost certainly requires manipulation of the very dimensions of time and space themselves. To be able to do that then just shine some lights in the sky makes less than no sense.

I don't see what is even remotely believable about aliens "*******" with us.

Who's to say that if we haven't blown ourselves off the face of the earth in the next 1000 years we aren't traveling space looking for other aliens to **** with, plus I'd imagine the intergalactic porn trade is a major market if we were able to start connecting to multiple different races.

CJSchneider
12-11-2009, 05:51 AM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0907/shes-green-star-trek-orion-slave-girls-girl-slavegirl-slaveg-demotivational-poster-1248607340.jpg

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/03/31/star-trek-orion-slave-girl.jpg

I call "dibs" on all the green ones.

Go_Eagles77
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Scientists Spot 'Super-Earth' Planet Nearby (http://www.sphere.com/science/article/scientists-spot-nearby-super-earth-planet/19285097)

(Dec. 17) -- Astronomers announced this week they found a water-rich and relatively nearby planet that's similar in size to Earth.

While the planet probably has too thick of an atmosphere and is too hot to support life similar to that found on Earth, the discovery is being heralded as a major breakthrough in humanity's search for life on other planets.

"The big excitement is that we have found a watery world orbiting a very nearby and very small star," said David Charbonneau, a Harvard professor of astronomy and lead author of an article on the discovery, which appeared this week in the journal Nature.

The planet, named GJ 1214b, is 2.7 times as large as Earth and orbits a star much smaller and less luminous than our sun. That's significant, Charbonneau said, because for many years, astronomers assumed that planets only would be found orbiting stars that are similar in size to the sun.

Because of that assumption, researchers didn't spend much time looking for planets circling small stars, he said. The discovery of this "watery world" helps debunk the notion that Earth-like planets could form only in conditions similar to those in our solar system.

"Nature is just far more inventive in making planets than we were imagining," he said.

In a way, the newly discovered planet was sitting right in front of astronomers' faces, just waiting for them to look. Instead of using high-powered telescopes attached to satellites, they spotted the planet using an amateur-sized, 16-inch telescope on the ground.

There were no technological reasons the discovery couldn't have happened long ago, Charbonneau said.

The planet is also rather near to our solar system -- only about 40 light-years away.

Planet GJ 1214b is classified as a "super-Earth" because it is between one and 10 times as large as Earth. Scientists have known about the existence of super-Earths for only a couple of years. Most planets discovered by astronomers have been gassy giants that are much more similar to Jupiter than to Earth.

Charbonneau said it's unlikely that any life on the newly discovered planet would be similar to life on Earth, but he didn't discount the idea entirely.

"This planet probably does have liquid water," he said.

The Unseen
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
that's awesome. I'm curious what makes them think it has water though.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-17-2009, 05:51 PM
that's awesome. I'm curious what makes them think it has water though.

I can only assume they're reading the absorption spectrum. I don't know how else they'd tell.

Brent
12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I think it's funny that they find these places but the technology needed to reach such places is so far into the future, such research seems useless.

MetSox17
12-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I think it's funny that they find these places but the technology needed to reach such places is so far into the future, such research seems useless.

Since you touched on it, we might as well say it. NASA= Biggest waste of money ever.

CJSchneider
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
And someone define "relatively nearby".

The Unseen
12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Since you touched on it, we might as well say it. NASA= Biggest waste of money ever.

knowledge for knowledge's sake is hard to justify paying a **** load of money for.

then again, that's what a lot of the humanities in universities are for that we pay a lot of tax money to support.

MetSox17
12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
knowledge for knowledge's sake is hard to justify paying a **** load of money for.

then again, that's what a lot of the humanities in universities are for that we pay a lot of tax money to support.

18 billion dollar budget. 18. Billion.

Brent
12-17-2009, 11:10 PM
well, working on improving flight technology, leading to more efficient planes/transportation; or having satellites for the sake of communication (and etc.), is one thing. However, sending someone to the moon or a rover to Mars? What a ******* waste.

TitleTown088
12-17-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.6902336

Probably aurora or something but still cool.

The Unseen
12-17-2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.6902336

Probably aurora or something but still cool.

you're a few pages late.

VoteLynnSwan
12-18-2009, 02:07 AM

well what's the point of moving forward with such technology if we don't if there's anywhere worth going?

Paranoidmoonduck
12-18-2009, 02:33 AM
And someone define "relatively nearby".

It is say "feasibly reachable someday" as opposed to "infinitely far away".

As for NASA being a waste of money, it doesn't even come close to being the biggest waste of money for this country. I mean, seriously, it represent only six-one thousands of a percent (.006%) of the gov't budget.

Moreover, NASA has produced countless technologies that are utilized in everyday life today as well as mounting some of the most historically significant scientific accomplishments of the modern age of man.

Rosebud
12-18-2009, 03:31 AM
As for NASA being a waste of money, it doesn't even come close to being the biggest waste of money for this country. I mean, seriously, it represent only six-one thousands of a percent (.006%) of the gov't budget.

And if that isn't an indictment of our wasteful spending I don't know what is.

VoteLynnSwan
12-18-2009, 03:57 AM
you can never spend too much money on science...

CJSchneider
12-18-2009, 05:59 AM
It is say "feasibly reachable someday" as opposed to "infinitely far away".

So your telling me there's a chance

Paranoidmoonduck
12-18-2009, 02:04 PM
So your telling me there's a chance

Of course. Given enough technological development, we should be able to develop an engine that can propel a spaceship close to the speed of light. Whether we can pass that line or not is totally unknown until we try, but if we develop near-SOL travel, there appear to be plenty of planets that could be traveled to (granted, this one listed is 42 LY away, not a insignificant part of someone's life).

And of course, we'll never know what going faster than the SOL will actually mean until we do it, and we'll probably only do through an organization like NASA (of course, there's no guarantee that NASA will still be around or be the best funded space programs in the world when that sort of development is made).

Considering that we believe there are still parts of the universe that are expanding outwards so fast that they moving at the SOL, a planet that is mostly stationary and only 42 LY away is extremely reachable.

CJSchneider
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Of course. Given enough technological development

Is that the development we make on our own or the advancements the aliens will bring us.

Seriously, we can't come close to SOL travel now, and we are virtually decades if a century from achieving it.

PS. You totally missed the "Dumb and Dumber" reference.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Is that the development we make on our own or the advancements the aliens will bring us.

Seriously, we can't come close to SOL travel now, and we are virtually decades if a century from achieving it.

PS. You totally missed the "Dumb and Dumber" reference.

Heh, woops.

Of course we're decades and decades away from developing near SOL travel. I certainly won't be alive to see it. The recently developed plasma rocket could conceivably cut down the trip to mars from 6 months to 39 days. Near SOL travel would get us there in about 5 minutes. So yeah, we're quite a ways away.

But no matter how far away it is, we only get there if fund those organizations who develop advances in those sorts of things.

Borat
12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Yep, count me in with the "giant waste of money" camp. I can't stand the space program.

42 light years away. Brings up so many questions. Like, how do you plan to bring enough food/water to sustain people for a 42-year rocket ride? What are you going to do with the dead bodies of people that die on the way there? Inevitably, people aboard are going to ram each other and then you'll end up with babies being born in space. How are you going to raise a space baby? Dude, I could come up with a million of these.

But **** it, I can't wait to move into my new space mansion anyway.

Goon61
12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Im NOT being completely literal, but I think anyone who isn't a scientist is wasting their life and any money not spent on science is a waste of money. However, there are things in science that ARE a waste of money-LIGO for instance.

Most jobs could be eliminated through automation and we currently have enough food to feed the whole planet, so really all that is left is science (and the various forms of it social, economic,ect...)

CJSchneider
12-18-2009, 04:02 PM
and we currently have enough food to feed the whole planet

http://www.sokwanele.com/images/general/malnourished_child.jpg

Really?

In all honesty that point is debatable, but as a species we need to grow the **** up before we start exploring space (not that we haven't already said that, but I'm saying it again)

Paranoidmoonduck
12-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Brings up so many questions. Like, how do you plan to bring enough food/water to sustain people for a 42-year rocket ride? What are you going to do with the dead bodies of people that die on the way there? Inevitably, people aboard are going to ram each other and then you'll end up with babies being born in space. How are you going to raise a space baby? Dude, I could come up with a million of these.

Grow food, recycle water. Eject dead bodies. You raise a space baby like you raise any other kind of baby.

Your supposed problems aren't really problems. The bigger problems are things like, "how does 42 years in zero gravity prepare someone to try and settle a new planet".

Realistically, CJ asked if the planet was ultimately reachable. I think it is almost a certainty that if man as a species continues, we'll be able to develop vehicles that could travel 42 LY. What the hell we'd do with it is a whole other thing. You'd imagine that whole can of worms only gets opened in the event that FTL travel is discovered.

The Unseen
12-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Im NOT being completely literal, but I think anyone who isn't a scientist is wasting their life and any money not spent on science is a waste of money. However, there are things in science that ARE a waste of money-LIGO for instance.

Most jobs could be eliminated through automation and we currently have enough food to feed the whole planet, so really all that is left is science (and the various forms of it social, economic,ect...)

not even close to true. science exists for the sake of itself, yes, but it primarily exists to help people in everyday life, which includes industries. Someone's gotta farm, someone's gotta build, someone's gotta make stuff, someone's gotta entertain, someone's gotta manage, etc.

and we definitely do NOT have enough food for the planet at the going rate. food crises are already starting up. it's a matter of time before they sweep the globe. it could be delayed if the wealthy countries didn't consume as much, but that's a different issue.

Borat
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
People better stay off my ******* grass at my space mansion. That **** pisses me off.

Brent
12-19-2009, 12:31 AM
People better stay off my ******* grass at my space mansion. That **** pisses me off.
moon grass, mother ******.

VoteLynnSwan
12-19-2009, 01:24 AM
Grow food, recycle water. Eject dead bodies. You raise a space baby like you raise any other kind of baby.

Your supposed problems aren't really problems. The bigger problems are things like, "how does 42 years in zero gravity prepare someone to try and settle a new planet".

Realistically, CJ asked if the planet was ultimately reachable. I think it is almost a certainty that if man as a species continues, we'll be able to develop vehicles that could travel 42 LY. What the hell we'd do with it is a whole other thing. You'd imagine that whole can of worms only gets opened in the event that FTL travel is discovered.

clearly for interplanetary travel to exist you'd need some sort of artificial gravity on the ships, because 42years of weightlessness would destroy a body's bone structure to the point where they wouldn't be able to walk on another planet.

CJSchneider
12-19-2009, 07:01 AM
moon grass, mother ******.

Rule 13b, kthnxbye

Brent
12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Rule 13b, kthnxbye
I dont mean drugs, I mean actual grass. He is talking about kids on his moon lawn.

not everything is slang, sir.

CJSchneider
12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I thought I was the only one here old enough to get pissed at kids walking on their lawn.

Rosebud
12-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Heh, woops.

Of course we're decades and decades away from developing near SOL travel. I certainly won't be alive to see it. The recently developed plasma rocket could conceivably cut down the trip to mars from 6 months to 39 days. Near SOL travel would get us there in about 5 minutes. So yeah, we're quite a ways away.

But no matter how far away it is, we only get there if fund those organizations who develop advances in those sorts of things.

See I think it's actually going to be a private venture like virgin galactic that finally gets to another a planet efficiently enough to start colonizing. I really think we're going to see a lot of space travel moving into the private sector over the next 3-4 decades.

VoteLynnSwan
12-19-2009, 01:09 PM
See I think it's actually going to be a private venture like virgin galactic that finally gets to another a planet efficiently enough to start colonizing. I really think we're going to see a lot of space travel moving into the private sector over the next 3-4 decades.

I don't think that any single private entity could possibly come up with enough money to accomplish interplanetary travel before NASA

Rosebud
12-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't think that any single private entity could possibly come up with enough money to accomplish interplanetary travel before NASA

We'll see. I think that the private sector will get a lot more cost efficient than nasa at space travel in the not so distant future, so they won't need to accumulate the enormous funds that nasa does considering that Virgin already has like a thousand people on their waiting list for a 5 minute ride through space at whatever the absurd cost was I think we might both be under-rating just how much some obscenely wealthy people want to go to space.

VoteLynnSwan
12-19-2009, 01:52 PM
We'll see. I think that the private sector will get a lot more cost efficient than nasa at space travel in the not so distant future, so they won't need to accumulate the enormous funds that nasa does considering that Virgin already has like a thousand people on their waiting list for a 5 minute ride through space at whatever the absurd cost was I think we might both be under-rating just how much some obscenely wealthy people want to go to space.

You're right about the money thing... the issue is that NASA has the best engineers. Look at how long it has taken for the private sector to catch up to NASA. It's been over 40 years since NASA first put a man in space... and the private sector still hasn't achieved that. Granted people haven't been all that serious about it till now, but that's largely because the technology wasn't available.

Rosebud
12-19-2009, 01:54 PM
You're right about the money thing... the issue is that NASA has the best engineers. Look at how long it has taken for the private sector to catch up to NASA. It's been over 40 years since NASA first put a man in space... and the private sector still hasn't achieved that. Granted people haven't been all that serious about it till now, but that's largely because the technology wasn't available.

That's a valid point, but I think that's something we'll see start changing as the private sector gets more involved in space travel. I think we'll find a lot more talented people bypassing NASA for the private sector.

Xonraider
12-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Ok seriously.

Aliens exist.

I have one in my closet

Its my sex slave. Can't say he or she because I'm not certain.

So they do exist.

Go_Eagles77
12-19-2009, 05:43 PM
UFO pyramid reported over Kremlin (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/6837200/UFO-pyramid-reported-over-Kremlin.html)

Oh ****.

Rosebud
12-19-2009, 05:59 PM
good job guys, see what yall dun did?

Brent
12-19-2009, 08:50 PM
UFO pyramid reported over Kremlin (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/6837200/UFO-pyramid-reported-over-Kremlin.html)

Oh ****.
I'm calling BS on that.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-19-2009, 08:59 PM

I really doubt that the private sector has any real chance of making firsts in space travel. I think that sending shuttles into the upper atmosphere for paying customers 40-60 years after NASA put men on the moon doesn't scream efficiently eclipsing NASA anytime soon.

Commercial enterprise will ride the back of government funded R&D.

Borat
12-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm calling BS on that.

We should probably spend $100 billion on it just to be sure.

CashmoneyDrew
12-19-2009, 09:06 PM
If that were real, there would be more than two videos.

12-19-2009, 09:07 PM
We should probably spend $100 billion on it just to be sure.

No need, we already know the US government put it there in the first place.

Go_Eagles77
12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
If that were real, there would be more than two videos.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, it would be a much bigger story.