PDA

View Full Version : The draft is on Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

HawkeyeFan
12-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I just checked the dates ( and I'm sure all of you knew already ), but the 1st Round is on Thursday, April 22nd, Rounds 2-3 are on Friday, April 23rd, and Rounds 4 - 7 are on Saturday, April 24th.

This is bullcrap, what the heck is the NFL thinking?

"We continue to look for ways to make the draft more accessible to more fans," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television."

aka we'll make much more money.

How is this more accessible to fans? Thursday night is a working night to a lot of fans, and this isn't going to help one bit.

I loved the way it was before, and I hate the way it is now. I have to request 3 days of work off, wonderful!

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
It's easier for me, since I always go out on weekends. But I don't know if it's better.

Paul
12-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I hate this so much.

Giantsfan1080
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I thought it was going to be friday, saturday, sunday. Anyway just another thing Goodell had to ruin.

HawkeyeFan
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I thought it was going to be friday, saturday, sunday. Anyway just another thing Goodell had to ruin.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8116faa2&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

:(

AgentM
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
My roommate and I have pretty much celebrated the draft like it was xmas for the past 3 years. We would get up early, go get a huge meal from somewhere like Famous Daves, and be ready with our mock drafts and laptops at noon for a day of fun.

Then Goodell has to start changing things. Shifting the draft back 3 hours and moving the 3rd round to Sunday were terribly annoying, but bearable. This change just ruins the entire thing.

Thursday night? Seriously? I have rollerhockey and Penguins games to go during the week at that time of the year. And my roommate doesn't even get home from work until 7pm so he'll miss the beginning of the 2nd round on Friday.

And I feel terrible for people on the west coast who will miss the beginning of both the first and second rounds because they're still at work. This is just a terrible idea from every angle.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
This is such a bad idea........

descendency
12-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I like Thursday night, but I agree... it's about money.

thebow305
12-10-2009, 02:37 AM
I can't express in words how much I hate this.

Why would they mess with such a good thing. They did ok with shortening the rounds, but why this?

Just awul! :(

HawkeyeFan
12-10-2009, 02:42 AM
I can't express in words how much I hate this.

Why would they mess with such a good thing. They did ok with shortening the rounds, but why this?

Just awul! :(
The shortening of the rounds was alright, but I didn't like it. And now this, this is just bullcrap.

wicket
12-10-2009, 03:50 AM
I SO hate this, usually i could easily watch the first round and then go to sleep, now i can only see the fourth round probably

WMD
12-10-2009, 04:02 AM
It makes me want to have Mandingo rape Roger Goodell with a sandpaper condom on.

I really hate it.

draftguru151
12-10-2009, 04:30 AM
I FEAR CHANGE.

But really, this is pretty lame. Feels like it's going to make it less dramatic.

Iamcanadian
12-10-2009, 06:42 AM
The NFL is all about money and profits as we are about to find out when the lockout begins and very likely, a season is lost. The NFL is so full of itself that it thinks it is invincible from fan anger but I think it is about to learn that fans may be fooled some of the time but you cannot fool fans all of the time.
The draft was changed strictly to bring in more profits. Thursday night and Friday night are worth a heck of a lot more money than a Saturday afternoon.
Personally I don't mind 3 days for the draft and most draftniks probably won't either when they realize that we are getting 3 days to follow the draft in better detail. After all, it is our hobby. The only thing different I would do is have rounds 4-7 on Thursday, rounds 2-3 on Friday and round 1 on Saturday. That would really build up the excitement and the suspense. Of course they will never do it that way so I guess we'll just have to accept it the way it is coming.

villagewarrior
12-10-2009, 07:59 AM
One of my days off is Thursday, so I am pleased with this decision.

HawkeyeFan
12-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I FEAR CHANGE.

But really, this is pretty lame. Feels like it's going to make it less dramatic.
I agree, it isn't going to be the same. It'll be the draft, yes... but it's not going to be near as entertaining or dramatic IMO. Of course I love the draft, and I'm going to watch it, but I'm going to be upset at Goodell the entire time.

Splat
12-10-2009, 12:08 PM
It really sucks its a tradition for my Dad and I to get together pig out and watch the draft and since he works nights that is blown all to hell.

AgentM
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
The NFL is all about money and profits as we are about to find out when the lockout begins and very likely, a season is lost. The NFL is so full of itself that it thinks it is invincible from fan anger but I think it is about to learn that fans may be fooled some of the time but you cannot fool fans all of the time.
The draft was changed strictly to bring in more profits. Thursday night and Friday night are worth a heck of a lot more money than a Saturday afternoon.
Personally I don't mind 3 days for the draft and most draftniks probably won't either when they realize that we are getting 3 days to follow the draft in better detail. After all, it is our hobby. The only thing different I would do is have rounds 4-7 on Thursday, rounds 2-3 on Friday and round 1 on Saturday. That would really build up the excitement and the suspense. Of course they will never do it that way so I guess we'll just have to accept it the way it is coming.

So you would want them to run the entire draft ahead of time and then release the picks in reverse order?

LonghornsLegend
12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
This pissed me off first time I heard of it, Goodell is all about money and in the process screwing up a great tradition. Everyone loved getting up early on Saturday and getting drunk, cooking out, etc for the draft. Day 2 on Sunday, that's perfectly fine.

Who gives a **** if Thursday is the most watched night, if you like the Draft you'll watch regardless. Now I probably have to take more days off then I normally would.

Seriously, who wants to watch a Draft Thursday night? I hate Goodell with a passion.

descendency
12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
The on edge excitement of the draft is about as high as you can get it... Will my guy get picked or not...

PossibleCabbage
12-10-2009, 01:18 PM
How is this more accessible to fans? Thursday night is a working night to a lot of fans, and this isn't going to help one bit.

I think that the sense in which they're trying to make it more accessible is that people in the last couple years have looked at their TV guides and seen that the NFL draft is on, but that it is ungodly long which turns people off. On the other hand, the NBA draft which is like an hour and a half long, gets good ratings on TV (despite the NBA being much less popular than the NFL). So I'm pretty sure the idea is to give more casual fans the draft in more bite sized pieces. If people tune into round one and generally have an interesting experience, they're more likely to tune into rounds 2 and 3. So it's accessible in the sense of "we think more people will like it this way."

Plus, I mean, Thursday night being a working night? The first round of the draft isn't that much longer than an average televised football game. People seem to have no problem with football (professional or college) being broadcast on a Thursday night and then going to work the next day. I don't think anybody will have a similar problem with the draft.

Personally, I liked the format best where 1-3 were on Saturday and 4-7 were on Sunday. I'm leery about the upcoming format, but I have to say I really hated the most recent format where rounds 3-7 were on Sunday. That's a long day of NFL draft.

holt_bruce81
12-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Blah, I can't ask off for 3 days in a row.

Brothgar
12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
This new format means I'll never get to go to the NFL draft in person.

WMD
12-10-2009, 05:06 PM
We should all send Roger Goodell a bill for the money we would've made if we didn't have to ask for that extra day off of work. Two days is fine, three is unnecessary.

What's wrong with having at least the first two rounds on Thursday? One Round is not enough time to have a gathering, eat a bunch of crap, drink, all that fun stuff. Now your team makes its pick, and the night is over. Boring. I'm very close to calling Mandingo.

underscore
12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
My money says it goes back to Saturday/Sunday in 2011

Beans
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
are you ******** me

i have classes all day thursday next semester

**** this ****