PDA

View Full Version : Week 13 Power Rankings

diabsoule
12-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Week 13 offered several close calls and a couple of upsets. It also showed us that of the wild card teams in the AFC, that only a few actually want to make the playoffs.

1. New Orleans Saints (12-0) – The entire team should send Shaun Suisham a “Thank you” card.

2. Indianapolis Colts (12-0) – They took down the hottest team in the NFL and remain 12-0 for another year.

3. San Diego Chargers (9-3) – Cleveland played them closer than expected but they were down three star defensive players.

4. Cincinnati Bengals (9-3) – Cedric Benson had his fifth 100 yard rushing game Sunday.

5. Minnesota Vikings (10-2) – Favre and the Vikings were brought down to Earth but the biggest loss was losing MLB E.J. Henderson for the season.

6. Arizona Cardinals (8-4) – Sunday night's game was one of the most dominant performances by Arizona all season.

7. Philadelphia Eagles (8-4) – Vick must have felt welcome in Atlanta as he passed for one TD and ran for another.

8. Green Bay Packers (8-4) – Don't look now but Green Bay is playing their best football when it counts.

9. Denver Broncos (8-4) – In a game that should be flexed, the Broncos take on Peyton Manning and the undefeated Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium.

10. Dallas Cowboys (8-4) – The curse of December just began to rear it's ugly head in Dallas.

11. New York Giants (7-5) – The G-Men won when it counted and put themselves right back into the playoff hunt.

12. New England Patriots (7-5) – Road games continue to haunt the Patriots as the last time they won on the road was Week 7 against the lowly Buccaneers.

13. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-5) – Sunday's win was the first time since 2005 that Jacksonville has swept Houston.

14. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-6) – A loss to the Raiders is inexcusable especially when you are already fighting for a playoff spot.

15. Baltimore Ravens (6-6) – Joe Flacco looked terrible against a defense missing two of its best players.

16. Miami Dolphins (6-6) – That win put Miami right back into playoff contention but the schedule remains tough.

17. Tennessee Titans (5-7) – Few people expected the Titans to beat the Colts but the miscues on offense sure didn't help.

18. New York Jets (6-6) – That's two wins in a row for the Jets. They should get their third next week vs. Tampa.

19. Atlanta Falcons (6-6) – They look dead in the water with Matt Ryan out and next week they host the Saints.

20. Houston Texans (5-7) – After that hot start they have now dropped four games in a row.

21. Carolina Panthers (5-7) – Matt Moore didn't look much better than Jake Delhomme which could explain why Carolina hadn't put him in sooner.

22. Seattle Seahawks (5-7) – Late second heroics by Olindo Mare helped secure the upset over the 49ers.

23. San Francisco 49ers (5-7) – Logic was defied when Alex Smith passed 45 times in Seattle when it It was cold and rainy.

24. Chicago Bears (5-7) – The Bears finally found their running game and Jay Cutler didn't throw an interception.

25. Oakland Raiders (4-8) – Maybe Bruce Gradkowski is the answer at QB after all?

26. Buffalo Bills (4-8) – They played tough against the Jets but it just wasn't enough.

27. Washington Redskins (3-9) – Jason Campbell continues to have his best games against the Saints.

28. Kansas City (3-8) – With the way Pittsburgh has been playing of late it is now evident how the Chiefs beat them.

29. Detroit Lions (2-10) – Despite the losses, the Lions are improving but one thing is for sure: they need help desperately along the O-Line.

30. St. Louis Rams (1-11) – Seven straight 100+ yard games for Steven Jackson.

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-11) – Josh Freeman threw for 5 interceptions against the Panthers, which is the most thrown by a Tampa QB since Vinny Testeverde in 1990.

32. Cleveland Browns (1-11) – Brady Quinn is proving his worth in Cleveland, if anything else.

KCJ58
12-08-2009, 01:12 AM
spell Steven Jackson right, you have done it 2 weeks straight

diabsoule
12-08-2009, 01:14 AM
spell Steven Jackson right, you have done it 2 weeks straight

My bad. I don't deserve to spell SJax's name right. I'm not worthy!

yo123
12-08-2009, 01:16 AM
3rd to 5th for one loss to a good team? Seems harsh. San Diego barely beat the Browns this week.

CC.SD
12-08-2009, 02:40 AM
The SD/Cleveland game was never in doubt it was 27-7 and a longer than expected victory coast due to prevent defense and an onside kick.

Surprised that I agree with the Pats being so low but at a certain point you have to win a road game. That's the only reason I'm skeptical of what they can do this year. Win one! That's the Belichick way.

Steelers I guarantee will right the ship. They will make the playoffs. I must be the only person who doesn't think the loss to the Raiders is THAT insane, because the Raiders are solid in the trenches and it doesn't matter how bad the rest of your squad is, you are going to find yourself with a chance to win some games. What is the rest of their sked...washington, denver, cleveland, jax...Silver and Black is going to split these games if they can pick up some swagger and have a notJamarcus quarterback.

Steelers will get Troy back and go back into their shell on offense, and try to establish dominant running. They can power out a few wins, this group has proven itself when the chips look down before.

Cincy at SD continues to loom large in the AFC playoff picture.

vikes_28
12-08-2009, 01:39 PM
3rd to 5th for one loss to a good team? Seems harsh. San Diego barely beat the Browns this week.

I'm just as confused as you are bro. I don't think the vikings should be 5th. I think they should remain 3rd as long as they stay under 3 losses. Granted, records do not tell all, but on that Sunday night game against the Cards, our team was beaten pretty badly injury wise.

Splat
12-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I still have the Vikings #3 with SD at #4.

RealityCheck
12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd put the Pats 16th or so.

vikes_28
12-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Bryant McKinnie, Phil Loadholt, Cedric Griffen, and Antoine Winfield were all injured. When your two starting tackles are sore, it makes a difference.

Hines
12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
The SD/Cleveland game was never in doubt it was 27-7 and a longer than expected victory coast due to prevent defense and an onside kick.

Surprised that I agree with the Pats being so low but at a certain point you have to win a road game. That's the only reason I'm skeptical of what they can do this year. Win one! That's the Belichick way.

Steelers I guarantee will right the ship. They will make the playoffs. I must be the only person who doesn't think the loss to the Raiders is THAT insane, because the Raiders are solid in the trenches and it doesn't matter how bad the rest of your squad is, you are going to find yourself with a chance to win some games. What is the rest of their sked...washington, denver, cleveland, jax...Silver and Black is going to split these games if they can pick up some swagger and have a notJamarcus quarterback.

Steelers will get Troy back and go back into their shell on offense, and try to establish dominant running. They can power out a few wins, this group has proven itself when the chips look down before.

Cincy at SD continues to loom large in the AFC playoff picture.

Are you secretly a Steeler fan? :D

Anyways, I agree with you. With Troy back, those big plays wont happen and Tomlin is making changes. I think we win out and could posssibly go on another run like we did in 2005 when we won the Super Bowl.

I agree where the Steelers are at too.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I refuse to believe the Raiders are better than the Redskins.

12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I refuse to believe the Raiders are better than the Redskins.

We'll find out on Sunday.

killxswitch
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
What will it take for the Colts to be ranked #1? I am not saying they should be, I am curious what people think will shift things to that point. A Saints loss? Is there any way at this point if both teams stay undefeated that the Colts could take the top spot?

diabsoule
12-08-2009, 02:28 PM
What will it take for the Colts to be ranked #1? I am not saying they should be, I am curious what people think will shift things to that point. A Saints loss? Is there any way at this point if both teams stay undefeated that the Colts could take the top spot?

Another close win by the Saints and a Colts blowout, or an easy win, will bump the Colts to #1.

killxswitch
12-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Another close win by the Saints and a Colts blowout, or an easy win, will bump the Colts to #1.

So for example, if Indy covers the spread vs. DEN and the Saints either lose or don't cover, that would do it? That would be sensible to me, but I get the impression a lot of national media types still wouldn't buy in on the Colts. I think a lot of people are expecting a post-season collapse this year.

terribletowel39
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Dumervil is going to give Manning fits though. We all know Manning HATES pressure and Doom is the best at it this year.

I wouldn't expect a Indy blowout this week.

HawkeyeFan
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
My goodness, Steven Jackson is beastin' right now on a ****** team with 9 - 10 men in the box.

I have such a man crush on him! And he had 120 something last week with backspasms, not practicing in 2 weeks and having star Rookie RT Jason Smith out.

<3

http://stltoday.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/STLT/903555/27050099E.jpg

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Dumervil is going to give Manning fits though. We all know Manning HATES pressure and Doom is the best at it this year.

I would.

Also, IMO Saints are #1 by a decent margin right now. They've had a couple close ones, but whenever they face a team that is deemed elite, not only do they completely manhandle them, they demolish their swagger and send them down a slippery slope to mediocrity. If both teams win out I'll still have the Saints on top.

killxswitch
12-08-2009, 03:50 PM

We'll definitely need to have a TE or RB helping out all game. To Manning's credit he was hipping and hopping around in the pocket really well vs. Tennessee. I don't doubt Doom will get a sack or two, our OL just isn't that good. But Manning has seen pressure before and it doesn't rattle him like it used to. No QB likes pressure but I don't think it'll get in his head like it did at times in the early 2000s.

TitleTown088
12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Bryant McKinnie, Phil Loadholt, Cedric Griffen, and Antoine Winfield were all injured. When your two starting tackles are sore, it makes a difference.

Injuries happen to everyone. Packers were missing both tackles both times they played the vikes. It surely sucks, but its no excuse for how the vikings were dominated. Especially considering Mt. Mckinnie and phil both came back.

The vikings had been fortunate injury wise prior to the cardinals game. IS EJ the first guy they've IRed?

yourfavestoner
12-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Might as well put them there now, they're perennial power ranking champions. Let them enjoy it. Soon we'll hit January and they'll be folding faster than Superman on laundry day.

Gay Ork Wang
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Our whole Linebacker corps is down. thats funny.

Timbathia
12-08-2009, 05:03 PM

If the Broncos can run the ball effectively early, and not go down to a couple of quick early strikes, then this will be a damn good game. The Broncos really struggle against teams that stop them running the ball (i.e. Ravens and Steelers), and it doesnt seem like the Colts are that sort of team (though they did do a good job I thought against the titans).

NOLAFan
12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Might as well put them there now, they're perennial power ranking champions. Let them enjoy it. Soon we'll hit January and they'll be folding faster than Superman on laundry day.

How so? What leads you to believe that both the Saints and the Colts will fold come playoff time? Yeah i know the Saints have a history of sucking it up and that the Colts collapse in the playoffs but these are different times.

Please don't answer with "Pittsburgh will dominate and the Eagles will be unstoppable till the NFCCG"....those assumptions asisinine IMO

yourfavestoner
12-08-2009, 07:08 PM
How so? What leads you to believe that both the Saints and the Colts will fold come playoff time? Yeah i know the Saints have a history of sucking it up and that the Colts collapse in the playoffs but these are different times.

Please don't answer with "Pittsburgh will dominate and the Eagles will be unstoppable till the NFCCG"....those assumptions asisinine IMO

Not talking about the Saints at all, just the Indianapolis Mannings and their 7-8 postseason record in the Peyton era.

Fun fact: Indianapolis, under Peyton, has one less first round playoff exits as they do playoff wins. Remember that you can only lose once per postseason.
1999 (0-1)
2000 (0-1)
2002 (0-1)
2003 (2-1)
2004 (1-1)
2005 (0-1)
2006 (4-0)
2007 (0-1)
2008 (0-1)

He's the A-Rod of football. Great when it doesn't matter, pedestrian when it does. I know, I know, A-Rod finally won a World Series like Peyton eventually won his Superbowl. But even broken clocks are right twice a day.

yodabear
12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Do we get a trophy for being the best 1-11 team?

Nalej
12-08-2009, 07:32 PM
The Patriots suck right now. We are worst team in the trenches as a whole.
We can't get to the QB and we can't protect ours. There's no light at the end of the tunnel this season

Splat
12-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Colts shut down Sorgi (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/09/colts-shut-down-sorgi/)

This should drop them atleast a hand full of spots. :)

Gay Ork Wang
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
More importantly, Sorgi owns one more Super Bowl ring than Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, and Warren Moon, combined.

Beastmaster