PDA

View Full Version : Dissecting Dallas' December Slump

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 03:53 PM
What is the real reason or reasons behind this mysterious trend?

Bad Luck?

Tough scheduling?

Health? Injuries? Players broken down?

Mentally weak?

Lack of leadership?

Cold weather?

Other????

The "It happens because it always happens" excuse doesn't cut it enough for me. There has to be a real reason why it happens. I know some of you are brainiacs out there. So what do you think??? Let's get some high level discussion here. If possible...

Babylon
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I wouldnt call it bad luck, that seems to balance itself out. Scheduling is done by the league and good teams get tough schedules, that shouldnt have some adverse effect on their December results.

It usually comes down to leaders not leading or talent may be a little overrated in some cases. I think the Cowboys are a good team but wouldnt put them in with this year's New Orleans, Minnesota and maybe eventually Arizona.

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I wouldnt call it bad luck, that seems to balance itself out. Scheduling is done by the league and good teams get tough schedules, that shouldnt have some adverse effect on their December results.

It usually comes down to leaders not leading or talent may be a little overrated in some cases. I think the Cowboys are a good team but wouldnt put them in with this year's New Orleans, Minnesota and maybe eventually Arizona.
What about being specific to the Cowboys? Is it Romo? Is it Wade? Both, neither, others?

I mean, you said a lot of "wouldn't"s... but what is it?

Just trying to guage a wider audience's point of view than just asking Cowboys fans in our team forum.

Not trying to compare them to anyone else or say that it won't happen again...

Do you guys think it'll happen again?

Next games... San Diego, @New Orleans, @Washington, Philly

Babylon
12-08-2009, 04:39 PM
What about being specific to the Cowboys? Is it Romo? Is it Wade? Both, neither, others?

I mean, you said a lot of "wouldn't"s... but what is it?

Just trying to guage a wider audience's point of view than just asking Cowboys fans in our team forum.

Not trying to compare them to anyone else or say that it won't happen again...

Do you guys think it'll happen again?

Next games... San Diego, @New Orleans, @Washington, Philly

Realistically you're looking at splitting the next 4 games which will give them a 10-6 record.

As for what's wrong with the team, probably nothing. I'd dump Wade before i'd dump Romo that's for sure.

LonghornsLegend
12-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Well in 07 I don't recall the specifics but the division was locked up early and the team dialed it down early, don't remember how soon but I do know that affected at least a few of the games if I'm not mistaken.

The schedule was absolutely brutal last December and this December also, I'd like for someone to find another team who had a tougher stretch then these:

2008:
@ Pittsburgh
NYG
Baltimore
@ Philly

All of those were hard fought and close except for the excuse of a game in Philly.

2009:
NYG
San Diego
New Orleans
@ Washington
Philly

Now anything before that, it's anyones guess honestly. There were more months we were terrible then just December when we didn't have a QB, so people can just look at December, or the big picture. Hard to expect to have a winning record in any month for that huge stretch we were rotating in guys like Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter but who knows.

Maybe it is in the players heads, I think it's just losing some tough games to good teams. Be nice to put it behind the team for once, but I'd gladly take a playoff win over having a winning record in December any day.

Saints-Tigers
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I think the national media tries to oversell the Cowboys talent, so when they lose they canmake it a big drama.

As much as I don't like the Cowboys, the media loves to spin things negatively on them.

tjsunstein
12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I think the national media tries to oversell the Cowboys talent, so when they lose they canmake it a big drama.

As much as I don't like the Cowboys, the media loves to spin things negatively on them.

This. It's become a head game with the whole team now.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
On late season collapses like Dallas has been having, it's always on the head coach. It's his job to rally, inspire, get guys focused and that has not been happening the past few seasons in Dallas.

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
On late season collapses like Dallas has been having, it's always on the head coach. It's his job to rally, inspire, get guys focused and that has not been happening the past few seasons in Dallas.
Well, I'm pretty sure Wade has uttered the words before... so is it his Game Day attitude? Or the case of the players not listening to him?

Wade did lead this team to a 12-4 season. So... If he did it before, does that mean he's still the problem?

What do you predict this year? Will the slump continue with the Cowboys missing the playoffs?

fenikz
12-08-2009, 05:24 PM
When is the last time the Cowboys won a playoff game?

edit: On Dec. 28, 1996, the Cowboys beat the Minnesota Vikings, 40-15, in the wild-card round at Texas Stadium

http://photos.upi.com/topics-Cowboys-vs-Cardinals/4a823b7978f0ae309241854a6aaafc72/C.jpg

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 05:26 PM
When is the last time the Cowboys won a playoff game?
What's the point of that?

Anyways, I can't remember... 13... 14... years ago? We did have a Round 1 Bye when we won the NFC East a couple years ago.

But playoff games are in January anyways...

bearsfan_51
12-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Random statistical abnormality. I really doubt it has anything specific to do with the time of the year, particularly because it's a different team every year.

CC.SD
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Well it's not so much a collapse ever as it is I think being a little overrated. Not that they're a bad team. Except for when they are a really awful team and win games 7-6.

NOLAFan
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Why can't the answer be that they're just not that good? Since Romo and Wade took over, its like they can never finish the season on a positive note.

I don't like the Cowboys and negativety spews from my mouth when it comes to this team...America's team(eye roll), i don't get it....but they have the talent to be great and they just don't live up to that potential. There has to be a point where you can no longer blame the coach for ending the season terribly and start point the fingers at the players.

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Well it's not so much a collapse ever as it is I think being a little overrated. Not that they're a bad team. Except for when they are a really awful team and win games 7-6.
But the last time we were that bad was in Bill Parcells' 2nd year. When the Boys went 6-10.

Since then we have gone:

2008: 9-7
2007: 13-3
2006: 9-7
2005: 9-7

Is the December collapse overrated? I get that feeling from the last couple of posts... An anamoly or whatnot.

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Why can't the answer be that they're just not that good? Since Romo and Wade took over, its like they can never finish the season on a positive note.

I don't like the Cowboys and negativety spews from my mouth when it comes to this team...America's team(eye roll), i don't get it....but they have the talent to be great and they just don't live up to that potential. There has to be a point where you can no longer blame the coach for ending the season terribly and start point the fingers at the players.
Sure, that can be the answer.... That could explain the past. If we're talking about the current, then which players are we talking about specifically? How does Dallas fix the problem?

What if it's not the players or the HC, but the coordinators? Personally, I hate Garrett, and would love to pin it on him, but I don't want my bias to get in the way of what really is true or not.

stephenson86
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Tony Romozzzzzzzz too excited about christmas

Jughead10
12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
It's Wade more than Romo. Wade is a pushover. A soft player coach. In crunch time the players play like the head coach. You guys lost to the Giants because of tackling and toughness. Downfield blocking. Things like that.

NOLAFan
12-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Sure, that can be the answer.... That could explain the past. If we're talking about the current, then which players are we talking about specifically? How does Dallas fix the problem?

What if it's not the players or the HC, but the coordinators? Personally, I hate Garrett, and would love to pin it on him, but I don't want my bias to get in the way of what really is true or not.

Player wise i'm not sure. Everyone pointed the finger at TO last year but to be honest i don't think much as changed within their team chemistry and crap. My own personal theory is they just think too highly of themselves and have let what little success they have had go to their heads. I could easily point the finger at Romo...man is a walking distraction IMO...but that would be unfair.

I agree Garrett is a hack and i think part of them blame could go to him but as i said i'm not sure what the problem is. With the patented eye ball test lol they have talented players but it just doesn't click.

Supporting Caste
12-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Last year it was a combination of a brutal schedule, injuries and Romo obviously playing injured.

The year before just wasn't much of a December slide, though losing TO hurt. The Giants game went down to the last play and the Giants would have had 7 fewer points without referee assistance. Losing that close to the team that won the Super Bowl is hardly a collapse.

This year, it looks like schedule will be the chief cause if it happens again. I think we have a good chance of beating San Diego. I'm definitely more worried about Washington and Philadelphia. I'm not expecting us to keep up with the Saints at all.

niel89
12-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Change the title to 'Dissecting Dallas' December Downfalls'

Tony Romozzzzzzzz too excited about christmas

He gift wraps his interceptions. What a nice guy.

http://www.rhube.com/wp-content/sheldon-pick.jpg

NOLAFan
12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
This year, it looks like schedule will be the chief cause if it happens again. I think we have a good chance of beating San Diego. I'm definitely more worried about Washington and Philadelphia. I'm not expecting us to keep up with the Saints at all.

Eh idk. If i had to bet i say they lose to the Chargers, and one of the divisional opponents. The Saints game is intriguing because we don't know which Saints team is gonna show up.

LonghornsLegend
12-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't like the Cowboys and negativety spews from my mouth when it comes to this team...America's team(eye roll), i don't get it....

This much is very true which I've noticed, but at least your honest about it so I can respect that, some people are the same way but can't admit it. We all have teams we hate and the Cowboys are easy to hate.

Also it's not like the Cowboys named themselves America's team, so hard to hate them for that.

I could easily point the finger at Romo...man is a walking distraction IMO

I really don't know what more you guys would like this guy to do. He played about as well as physically possible last week, while Eli looked average again, people have to realize it's a team game. Our Coaching has been terrible, players run over Wade IMO because there is no accountability, defense has mental mistakes or penalities when it counts, Romo can't make up for all of that.

Some people just have to understand that being a QB for Dallas draws attention, that and it's not like he's married with kids, he's a bachelor, so they cling to any little thing they can. I think he's far from the type to attract attentionl, but when BSPN clings to every little thing they can for a story not much he can do.

Romo has basically improved in every aspect of his game he needed to improve this year, no more silly turnovers, running more when he has easy 1st downs in front of him, he's far from the problems with this team, it's just that I don't think were really that good just like alot of other average teams in the league. Removing Wade would help, but another collapse is going to do that either way.

Giantsfan1080
12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Well in 07 I don't recall the specifics but the division was locked up early and the team dialed it down early, don't remember how soon but I do know that affected at least a few of the games if I'm not mistaken.

The schedule was absolutely brutal last December and this December also, I'd like for someone to find another team who had a tougher stretch then these:

2008:
@ Pittsburgh
NYG
Baltimore
@ Philly

All of those were hard fought and close except for the excuse of a game in Philly.

2009:
NYG
San Diego
New Orleans
@ Washington
Philly

Now anything before that, it's anyones guess honestly. There were more months we were terrible then just December when we didn't have a QB, so people can just look at December, or the big picture. Hard to expect to have a winning record in any month for that huge stretch we were rotating in guys like Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter but who knows.

Maybe it is in the players heads, I think it's just losing some tough games to good teams. Be nice to put it behind the team for once, but I'd gladly take a playoff win over having a winning record in December any day.

The Giants schedule from Week 8 last year to Week 17 was the hardest I've ever seen. We played every playoff team from last year except for the Boys and Skins. We played the Eagles twice, Steelers, Cardinals, Ravens, Panthers, and Vikings. The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs obviously but you were next to get in. I have no idea how we played so well. We went 7-3 in that strecth but we all know how we got off track.

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Player wise i'm not sure. Everyone pointed the finger at TO last year but to be honest i don't think much as changed within their team chemistry and crap. My own personal theory is they just think too highly of themselves and have let what little success they have had go to their heads. I could easily point the finger at Romo...man is a walking distraction IMO...but that would be unfair.

I agree Garrett is a hack and i think part of them blame could go to him but as i said i'm not sure what the problem is. With the patented eye ball test lol they have talented players but it just doesn't click.
Interesting that you said that. See... IMO, TO was a scapegoat. The media portrayed him to be a bad guy, so normal guys like you ate that up and it formed your logic about the situation.

This year... similar results... no TO... but still you'd like to label the Cowboys as a puffed up team that lacks chemistry. I really think the media feeds that into your brains. Because I seriously don't know how that could be true in any way for this year's team. But you believe it. How do you come to that conclusion that the Cowboys are cocky about themselves and let it get to their head? Like why are they given that label over any other team with a winning record? I don't get it. Please explain. Cause right now... you logic = hater... as the only reason for your thinking.

"it just doesn't click" is such a vague excuse. What's the problem? Is there justification to prove that's the problem or are you just guessing/assuming. What's the solution? That's what I want to hear you answer, if possible.

Babylon
12-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Interesting that you said that. See... IMO, TO was a scapegoat. The media portrayed him to be a bad guy, so normal guys like you ate that up and it formed your logic about the situation.

This year... similar results... no TO... but still you'd like to label the Cowboys as a puffed up team that lacks chemistry. I really think the media feeds that into your brains. Because I seriously don't know how that could be true in any way for this year's team. But you believe it. How do you come to that conclusion that the Cowboys are cocky about themselves and let it get to their head? Like why are they given that label over any other team with a winning record? I don't get it. Please explain. Cause right now... you logic = hater... as the only reason for your thinking.

"it just doesn't click" is such a vague excuse. What's the problem? Is there justification to prove that's the problem or are you just guessing/assuming. What's the solution? That's what I want to hear you answer, if possible.

Let's hear what you think their problems are? i'd be interested in that.

CC.SD
12-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Roy Williams is the scapegoat this year. Honestly I think the Cowboys beat the Bolts. Both teams have a lot to play for but the Chargers are banged up on D, still waiting on Luis Castillo, Merriman, Weddle to get better. If the Chargers win I am predicting the Super Bowl for em.

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 07:43 PM

1) The media builds them up and then burns them down, because news about Dallas puts money in their pockets and normal news is no news and no money.

2) One, Jason Garrett's playcalling becomes predictable. Two, he makes the wrong calls and no adjustments... and Three, he doesn't use all of his weapons correctly.

3) Defensively, they are a finesse team and they rely on warm weather and a good turf. Offensively, they are fine.

4) Wade is a good DC, but not a guy who will pull and carry the team behind him as a HC and lead them to victory. He's a friend that the players like, but don't respect.

5) No MLB that stands up as the leader of the D and shuts things down.

6) There is no December Slump. It's just a fact of the matter... not an indication that it will predict the future.

Supporting Caste
12-08-2009, 08:13 PM
TO was a large part of the problem last year, but it still wouldn't have happened if Romo never got injured. Not debatable.

However, Stephen Jones wouldn't have lobbied so much to create a "Romo-friendly" offense if Romo hadn't told him to get TO TFO.

Anyone who blames the problems on Romo just doesn't get it. Unfortunately, there's no point in arguing with these people because

1. They're only half-serious (half purposely being asses)
2. They base their knowledge of the Cowboys on half-assed media generalizations of the team
3. Facts don't matter

Bengalsrocket
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with the Cowboys lol. The December slump is not a coincidence, but it's not tied to Dallas. Every year there is at least 1 team (most likely 3-4 though) that has a winning record and high play off hopes heading into December and blows it.

For Dallas specifically, they play in a tough division, usually resulting in tougher all around schedules, fighting other teams who also have play off hopes.

The only reason we single out Dallas for these failures, is because Jerry Jones loads the team with a ton of talent and everyone thinks they're the next up and coming elite team to stand along side the Patriots, Colts & Steelers (also, i think the Chargers and Eagles are in the elite category, but I'll save that for another thread).

But again, when you play in a tough division, not only do you have to play those 3 teams two times a year each, but that division draws a tougher schedule each year (every division plays the same opponents + 2 other teams which I guess are random?).

So I guess you could say Dallas' problems are luck, being in the NFC East.

scottyboy
12-08-2009, 09:07 PM
1) The media builds them up and then burns them down, because news about Dallas puts money in their pockets and normal news is no news and no money.

2) One, Jason Garrett's playcalling becomes predictable. Two, he makes the wrong calls and no adjustments... and Three, he doesn't use all of his weapons correctly.

3) Defensively, they are a finesse team and they rely on warm weather and a good turf. Offensively, they are fine.

4) Wade is a good DC, but not a guy who will pull and carry the team behind him as a HC and lead them to victory. He's a friend that the players like, but don't respect.

5) No MLB that stands up as the leader of the D and shuts things down.

6) There is no December Slump. It's just a fact of the matter... not an indication that it will predict the future.

I think it's mainly the bolded. This team is CONSTANTLY in the news and it becomes a head game. One of 2 "bad" Decembers and choke jobs has caused it to be a big deal about a December slump. And this team IMO is not a tough one, especially not mentally. They need to keep their mouths shut and stay out of the news. Honestly, who gives a flying **** is Eli signed the wall months ago? shut the hell up and play the game. Back it up against him. And then Wade getting what I percieved as heated in an interview. That and Crayton running his mouth in the past. Flozell being borderline clinically insane. Stuff like that.

D-Unit
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I think it's mainly the bolded. This team is CONSTANTLY in the news and it becomes a head game. One of 2 "bad" Decembers and choke jobs has caused it to be a big deal about a December slump. And this team IMO is not a tough one, especially not mentally. They need to keep their mouths shut and stay out of the news. Honestly, who gives a flying **** is Eli signed the wall months ago? shut the hell up and play the game. Back it up against him. And then Wade getting what I percieved as heated in an interview. That and Crayton running his mouth in the past. Flozell being borderline clinically insane. Stuff like that.
Another brainwashed product of the media. You're used to it so much that when it's not true, you still believe it is.

wogitalia
12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I think it is more than mere coincidence, there is actually a bit of substance.

1. The easiest thing to point out is that over the last few years, when it has really "taken off" they have played some pretty tough schedules. Whilst not the only reason, a tough schedule is a very good place to start. Is the Philly game locked in to that time? That certainly wouldn't help.

2. From Jerry Jones on down, the Cowboys have a "party" atmosphere to the team, where it is as much about entertainment as winning. Owens and Pacman being obvious examples. Romo dating his celebrities. The holiday season seems to affect the Cowboys more than anyone else. Romo always seems to do something that can create controversy around Thanks Giving and puts them on a bad foot to start with.

3. Bad Weather can't help, they go from good weather in Dallas to horrible weather pretty much every season, that has to knock you around at least a little. There has to be an adjustment to the weather and then a readjustment when getting home.

4. Arrogance or overconfidence at least. They have had good Novembers and this sort of goes back to point 2 a little, they get ahead of themselves and lose focus and it only takes a couple of bad games to smack you back down to reality. From things like Garrett getting cocky with his playcalling(too much passing) to Romo forcing throws it all sort of peaks as they enter December on a high.

I think the above contribute to the bad Decembers, a bit of it is just luck or a lack thereof as well.

scottyboy
12-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Another brainwashed product of the media. You're used to it so much that when it's not true, you still believe it is.

who me? Child Please D. Crayton never shutting up, Wade and Co bringing up the Eli wall signing etc. Hell, at the game (during TV commercials) after Roy's TD to put Dallas up for the last time, Sam freakin' Hurd and Barbie Carpenter came over to the Giants fans in front row (ala me and those around me) acting like idiots, running their mouths. Plus the good ol' TO days. And of course Jerrah can NEVER stay out of the media which hasn't helped. Like it or not, this team's always in the media, good or bad. And it is the teams fault, because that doesn't happen for no reason.

Giantsfan1080
12-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Jerry making your stadium opening such a big spectacle had the Giants pumped also I believe.

Brown Leader
12-08-2009, 09:52 PM
The focus every Dec ends up being Romo when it ought to be Barber and defense. But the running game gets unreliable mainly due to injuries/playcalling and the defense ends up giving up the big plays rather than making them. IDK defense has a knack for giving up crucial plays.

I've always thought the Cowboys rely to heavily on Romo when they have the talent to lead the league in rushing or at least utilize better ball control and aid the defense. I agree though at this point its in their big heads.

Supporting Caste
12-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't think for a second that it's in their heads.

Like, what, Orlando Scandrick is running with Steve Smith, and he realizes, "I'm keeping up with him...hmmm...something doesn't seem right, though...oh, **** DUDE!!! IT'S ******* DECEMBER THAT'S RIGHT OH **** WHERE AM I?"

*Steve Smith runs wide open*

It's pretty simple folks: easier schedules, fewer injuries and less TO drama does a lot for your playoff hopes. Playing against one team rather than one team and the refs is always nice, too.

vikes_28
12-08-2009, 11:40 PM
To tell you the truth, Its just a random statistic, that nobody would know about if the media didn't blow it out of the water.

Jughead10
12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
To tell you the truth, Its just a random statistic, that nobody would know about if the media didn't blow it out of the water.

The media does blow it out of proportion but there is something to it. There is something to be said about teams to can't finish games and or seasons. I don't blame it on Romo as I said before. Obviously the Seattle playoff game can be blamed on him but that was a freak thing. It has to fall on the head coach. The Cowboys are often a soft and sloppy team. Sloppy in tackling and in bad penalties. And that falls on the head coach. No one in the there right mind thought Wade Phillips was a good head coach when he was hired so none of this should be a suprise. He was a Texas guy who Jerry Jones could push around and use as a puppet. Something he couldn't do with Parcells. Dallas has talented players and when they win, they will continue to do it despite the coach.

LonghornsLegend
12-08-2009, 11:45 PM

I wouldn't even pay attention to Scotty regarding the Cowboys, it's so obvious he hates them that it's not possible for him to make a rationale post regarding them about anything.

If you think the Cowboys are in the media too much because it's their fault then your obviously out of the loop lol.

scottyboy
12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't even pay attention to Scotty regarding the Cowboys, it's so obvious he hates them that it's not possible for him to make a rationale post regarding them about anything.

If you think the Cowboys are in the media too much because it's their fault then your obviously out of the loop lol.

wow, really? just when I thought you were mature and didn't take things to personal levels. To say the cowboys aren't in the media 24/7 is straight ign'ant. When they're winning, they're all in the news. When they're losing, they're all up in the news. Everyone who's not a cowboys fan will agree and know this for a fact

DoughBoy
12-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Not enough Felix Jones. If you are going to make me watch 16 cowboys game a season atleast let me see some more Felix. I hate Jason Garrett.

the decider13
12-09-2009, 12:22 AM
wow, really? just when I thought you were mature and didn't take things to personal levels. To say the cowboys aren't in the media 24/7 is straight ign'ant. When they're winning, they're all in the news. When they're losing, they're all up in the news. Everyone who's not a cowboys fan will agree and know this for a fact

This is true, they are always talking about the cowboys. When I turned on NFL network sunday morning, they had like a 15 discussion about a single interview question with Tony Romo. I had to turn it off.

LonghornsLegend
12-09-2009, 12:25 AM

I didn't know I was getting personal, it's well known you hate the Cowboys so what's the big deal? ESPN is going to force Cowboys news down your throat as much as they can, if there is no news they'll make some news. I agree with your point, just disagree with you saying it's the team fault for being in the media.

But I didn't realize pointing that out was me not being mature or taking something personal, news to me. *shrugs*

Saints-Tigers
12-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Media builds up the talent of anything news worthy. If it's a marketable team, we'll hear about how talented they are, but underachieving(Isiah's Knicks).

Just think about how every talented but troubled player is looked at, he is almost always looked at as more talented than he really is.

"Oh, all that talent is going to waste" ..... they love saying that.

The team has some nice pieces, but they still have some gaping holes on the team. The numbers eventually even out.

They are who we thought they were, Romo isn't choking or being distracted by Jessica Simpson, TO wasn't causing major locker room divides that make grown ass men incapable of concentrating on football. They just aren't THAT great.

Shane P. Hallam
12-09-2009, 04:46 AM
You can't blame Wade or Romo. They haven't had a winning record in December since 1996. There is only one person in the organization that has been consistent through that time. Just saying.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Lots of factors can be attributed to Dallas' December struggles. Tough schedule played a big part last season, and maybe this season. I think there are multiple key factors that have contributed to Dallas' struggles the last few seasons, it cannot be pinned on one or even 3 factors. The team lacks a true leader. Parcells was a team leader, and with him gone there is no coach on the staff that commands respect like he did. Positions where you look for leaders have been very fluid for the team, except for QB. With the players switching very frequently along the ILB corp as well as in the secondary, it is difficult to establish yourself as a leader if you are only there a season or two. And the talented players that have been with the team longest are ones that don't have the personality that you look for in a leader. Ware has been asked to step up and be vocal. I have nothing against Ware at all, but he just doesn't seem like the type of guy who will go out there and get everyone pumped up, and its no fault of his own, its just the way he is. Overrated talent is a factor as well, though maybe not as much as some are saying.

It is already in the player's heads, its a battle against their own mind. As a former player, if there is even a shadow of doubt that you won't get the job done, you are already doomed for failure. People say its a new year and therefore a new team, but the core of the team has remained relatively intact throughout the recent history, I think that is kind of BS. People will talk about how all the different players and their lives can be a distraction... What about their OWNER? Jerry is a distraction in himself, and with how he runs things, it wouldn't surprise me if the way he interacts with the players undermines the coaching staff, whether it be inadvertantly or on purpose.

The media plays a part in it as well, as soon as there is a shred of a December collapse, they'll spend enough airtime talking about it to kill you with boredome, but it has an effect on the players. They may say they don't pay attention to the media, but who believes that? And here is something that comes back to the players, they need to have the mental strength to go on even though they have these things going on during december, but I believe there aren't enough mentally strong players or coaches on the team.

Also, Wade talking last week the way he did seemed very strange, like they'd already lost everything. He can't keep doing that, or the team will falter, and he will lose his job.

NY+Giants=NYG
12-09-2009, 08:10 AM
You can't blame Wade or Romo. They haven't had a winning record in December since 1996. There is only one person in the organization that has been consistent through that time. Just saying.

Wade is horrible! From all the times I have seen him, the guy does nothing on the sideline. Is it too much to ask for him to get excited or even yell at his players? All I see when I catch a cowboys game is watch tubby make funny faces all game long. Maybe they need to go back to a Parcells esque coach who can drill these guys. Right now it's basically camp cupcake in charge of this team, which as a giants fan is fine by me. Please give tubby a life time extension.

Iamcanadian
12-09-2009, 09:24 AM
When a losing problem persists in the NFL, there are always going to be questions about the QB's mental toughness and how good is the HC? I 'm not sure you can seperate the 2 in the case of Dallas. The only way you can put the question to rest is for them to have a great playoff if they reach the playoffs which I'm pretty sure they will.
It is like the old doubts about Peyton being able to win the big game. He did finally do it and the question was put to rest. There were the same questions about Dungy. Nobody questions Peyton or Dungy anymore and nobody will question Romo/Wade if they can ever get the job done. Until they do, it will persist their whole careers.

Supporting Caste
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Wade is horrible! From all the times I have seen him, the guy does nothing on the sideline. Is it too much to ask for him to get excited or even yell at his players? All I see when I catch a cowboys game is watch tubby make funny faces all game long. Maybe they need to go back to a Parcells esque coach who can drill these guys. Right now it's basically camp cupcake in charge of this team, which as a giants fan is fine by me. Please give tubby a life time extension.

This is dumb, that's all.

1. Yelling at players and jumping up and down sure did a hell of a lot for Tony Dungy and Tom Landry.

2. Parcells did WORSE than Wade Phillips with the exact same goddamn team.

Why do these ridiculous macho arguments always revise history to make it sound like the Cowboys DIDN'T have tons of stupid penalties and DIDN'T fade late in the season?

If anything, the Cowboys are a case study that implies "horrible" Wade Phillips' "cupcake coaching" is MORE EFFECTIVE than yip yappers like Coughlin and Parcells are.

But again, the facts don't matter. Carry on, macho guy.

Jughead10
12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
This is dumb, that's all.

1. Yelling at players and jumping up and down sure did a hell of a lot for Tony Dungy and Tom Landry.

2. Parcells did WORSE than Wade Phillips with the exact same goddamn team.

Why do these ridiculous macho arguments always revise history to make it sound like the Cowboys DIDN'T have tons of stupid penalties and DIDN'T fade late in the season?

If anything, the Cowboys are a case study that implies "horrible" Wade Phillips' "cupcake coaching" is MORE EFFECTIVE than yip yappers like Coughlin and Parcells are.

But again, the facts don't matter. Carry on, macho guy.

How many playoff games has Wade won? How many have Coughlin and Parcells won between them? Why is Parcells coaching tree currently extended across the NFL? Why did only the Cowboys only consider Wade for a job basically because he would be a puppet for Jerry? Where is the great Wade Phillips' coaching tree?

Dungy was the exception not the rule. His teams always had the negative of being soft on defense too. Dungy was always an overrated coach in my mind although light years ahead of Wade.

Many times players can only be held accountable in fear of losing playing time or their job. It's always better to be the hard ass and then soften up then be soft and then try to be the hard ass. No one will take you seriously the second way.

D-Unit
12-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Flozell Adams??? haha jk. I know you mean Jerry... but I can't believe he's the reason.

LizardState
12-09-2009, 11:53 AM
It's reached the point of being an actual psychological stigma in the Dallas locker room.

Last yr they could blame Romo's pinky injury & awful backup QB play when he was out, before that blame Parcells' formula approach to running an NFL team, Romo's blown hold on a kick in Seattle that was Shades of North Dallas 40, who knows. But it's real now, especially in road games vs. NFL East opponents, when's the last time Dallas beat the Giants in Jersey, the Skins in DC or the Eagles in Philly at Holiday time? it's like a damn Xmas tradition.

Wade Phillips is not charismatic enough to dispel this superstition, Jerry needs to address the team & tell them to stop listening to ESPN, or at least mute the audio.

LonghornsLegend
12-09-2009, 11:56 AM
How many playoff games has Wade won? How many have Coughlin and Parcells won between them?

How many playoff games did Parcells win while he was here?

If were not going to count that tenure, then we might as well not be going all the way back to 96' for the last playoff victory then if were going to give him excuses. Can't have it both ways.

Jughead10
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
How many playoff games did Parcells win while he was here?

If were not going to count that tenure, then we might as well not be going all the way back to 96' for the last playoff victory then if were going to give him excuses. Can't have it both ways.

I'm counting Parcells' entire tenure. He didn't win one in Dallas, but it was kind of a freak play. But you could also say Wade loss a game on a freak play in the music city miracle. Either way Parcells didn't have the talent that Wade does now and comparing the two coaches is like comparing Bill Belichick to Herm Edwards.

I'm not having it both ways. Wade is widely considered a soft puppet coach who can't win a big game and never has.

Brent
12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Random statistical abnormality. I really doubt it has anything specific to do with the time of the year, particularly because it's a different team every year.
I really don't see how it could be any thing other than what BF51 said.

bearsfan_51
12-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I really don't see how it could be any thing other than what BF51 said.
Thank you. I'm surprised I'm the only other person to say this.

It's a media talking-point. It simplifies events which are otherwise random and places them within a narrative that sells papers. Sports writers do this all the time. Unless you believe in astrology or curses (in either case, you're insane), I don't think there's anything significant about the month of Decemeber (which is an entirely arbitrary construction by the way), and the performance of a football team, particularly when the players, coaches, etc., are always different.

Brent
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Sports writers do this all the time. Unless you believe in astrology or curses (in either case, you're insane), I don't think there's anything significant about the month of Decemeber (which is an entirely arbitrary construction by the way), and the performance of a football team, particularly when the players, coaches, etc., are always different.
It's basically the topic of one article every day in the Dallas Morning News' sports section. Jean-Jacques Taylor is so ******* guilty of milking the December losing storyline. The December "demons" were topics in his last two articles (I haven't seen today's sports section).

EDIT: I find it hilarious when people in Dallas expect it, and, yet, they're pissed off when the Cowboys collapse in December.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
lets wait until the year is over to call it an issue (if it happens at all).

every year is different.

D-Unit
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Outpouring of support for Wade from the players on the front page of ESPN...

Gee... any other team and it's no news. lol. But at least it's positive this time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4728125

"I'll go to fight for that man until I hang my cleats up and I'm done playing football, because I have the utmost respect for him," linebacker Keith Brooking said.

"You're going to have guys in this locker room that's pushing for him, playing hard for him and letting everybody know that he's a great coach," All-Pro outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said of Phillips.

"He does everything the right way," Ware said.

"I trust him, so I definitely want him to be around," Pro Bowl nose tackle Jay Ratliff said. "We're going to go out there and play our best and do everything he asks us to do."

"The players are behind him 100 percent," Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten said. "The message that we get sometimes is different than the perception in the media in general. On his end, I don't think he really worries about that, as long as his team has that understanding. He does a good job of putting it out there and letting us know where it is. He believes in our team. That's a good thing."

scottyboy
12-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Outpouring of support for Wade from the players on the front page of ESPN...

Gee... any other team and it's no news. lol. But at least it's positive this time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4728125

"I'll go to fight for that man until I hang my cleats up and I'm done playing football, because I have the utmost respect for him," linebacker Keith Brooking said.

"You're going to have guys in this locker room that's pushing for him, playing hard for him and letting everybody know that he's a great coach," All-Pro outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said of Phillips.

"He does everything the right way," Ware said.

"I trust him, so I definitely want him to be around," Pro Bowl nose tackle Jay Ratliff said. "We're going to go out there and play our best and do everything he asks us to do."

"The players are behind him 100 percent," Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten said. "The message that we get sometimes is different than the perception in the media in general. On his end, I don't think he really worries about that, as long as his team has that understanding. He does a good job of putting it out there and letting us know where it is. He believes in our team. That's a good thing."

but no, because I hate Dallas, they aren't always in the media...
I'm not sure what it is, causing this so called "December slump" but to say that Dallas isn't always in the media is absurd

scottyboy
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I didn't know I was getting personal, it's well known you hate the Cowboys so what's the big deal? ESPN is going to force Cowboys news down your throat as much as they can, if there is no news they'll make some news. I agree with your point, just disagree with you saying it's the team fault for being in the media.

But I didn't realize pointing that out was me not being mature or taking something personal, news to me. *shrugs*

ok, I totaly mis-read/mis-interpreted what you said, my bad. They're always in the media, this is fact. I honestly have no clue what it is causing these recent december slumps, just taking random swings.
But again, we can't really know what's going on in the players' mind. This overblown media slump could cause players to press to prove and end it and make mistakes, who knows?

CC.SD
12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Wade will be a bolt again in 2010, Rivera's not doing great and Wade deserves a cushy parachute with a bunch of guys he already hand picked.

diesel
12-14-2009, 09:26 PM
No heart whatsoever. 

dpl85
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
It's quite simple really... good teams finish strong and get better as the season progresses and average teams falter. The one constant in all this is the man at the very top making all the personnel decisions.

CC.SD
12-15-2009, 01:42 AM
sooo are we going to pretend like Bolts/Boys wasn't a close, hard fought game? It turned on some critical plays that could have gone either way. This December thing is ridiculous and unfortunate, but coincidental. Dallas has a ton of talent and they'll find themselves in the playoffs.

Rosebud
12-15-2009, 03:29 AM
To me it's a combination of things, the most important of which is Wade Phillips and the coaching staff. They've had some tough schedules, and some tough injuries with some bad bounces, but those are things that can be over come, what can not be overcome is players making dumb mistakes at key points and that has to fall on the coach. I also feel like his defense has choked a lot and he hasn't been able to get Garrett to become more dependable as a play caller. Their players just aren't ready to execute everytime when the game is on the line and when you're playing other top teams in december and beyond the game will hang in the balance for much of the latter phases of the game. They just lose it as the game wears on and that's a mental thing and it's the HC's job to get his team ready to fight execute down the stretch.

Shane P. Hallam
12-15-2009, 04:39 AM
sooo are we going to pretend like Bolts/Boys wasn't a close, hard fought game? It turned on some critical plays that could have gone either way. This December thing is ridiculous and unfortunate, but coincidental. Dallas has a ton of talent and they'll find themselves in the playoffs.

No doubt they have the talent and are not a bad team, but when you haven't won a playoff game since 1996, something is wrong.

They are in the grand company of the Bengals, Lions, Chiefs, Browns, and Bills.

dpl85
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
The owner and general manager should never be the same person. I'm not aware of any other team that has the same structural organization.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
As a Giants fan, I just hope they keep losing. We need them to go 9-7 for us to have a legit chance of making the playoffs.

D-Unit
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM
December games are now over. Any new thoughts?

Brent
12-30-2009, 01:08 PM
December games are now over. Any new thoughts?
No, it was still a statistical abnormality. They went 2-2 and beat an undefeated team on the road. I dont see how that's indicative of a "curse."