PDA

View Full Version : Moving Dilemma

Sniper
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
So, it appears that after graduation, I'll be moving with a friend to some place down South. The only question is, where? We both need a change of scenery, so out of the Northeast, really. We're considering a few options right now. It looks like Charlotte, N.C, Atlanta, Ga., and somewhere in Texas (probably Austin or Houston) are the leading contenders. Any opinions, comments or suggestions? Much appreciated.

CJSchneider
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Move to Northwest Louisiana, I could use a drinking buddy.

Jvig43
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
My first semester of college I was ten minutes out of Charlotte. It was alright, there are some nice areas just outside of it, pretty affordable from what I was told as well. Night life in there was kind of cool, not really better than places ive been to back home, but different. I myself plan on moving out to California when I'm done with school with a few buddies of mine, always wanted to go out there.

Thumper
12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
My first semester of college I was ten minutes out of Charlotte. It was alright, there are some nice areas just outside of it, pretty affordable from what I was told as well. Night life in there was kind of cool, not really better than places ive been to back home, but different. I myself plan on moving out to California when I'm done with school with a few buddies of mine, always wanted to go out there.

California's alright but it's overrated the state is nothing like what you see on TV at all, there are deficit issues, taxes are through the roof, the state is bankrupting itself, housing is expensive, it is crowded, polluted and traffic is a *****. And while you're moving in more people are moving out. Since 1991 more people are leaving California than there are coming in, they're moving to Texas, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and Washington.

And Sniper I have heard nothing but good things about Austin, I heard it is a great college town, filled with things to do and it is growing so large that the edge of the city is less than an hour away from San Antonio. The entire middle portion of Texas is just a giant college town from what I've heard with tons of colleges in the middle part of the state.

vikes_28
12-08-2009, 08:58 PM
The Carolina's are really nice.

El Peefs?????
12-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Stay in Canada !

JFLO
12-08-2009, 09:02 PM
The Carolina's are really nice.

Yea, I prefer SC over NC. I lived in Summerville, SC for awhile and it was amazing. Then, unfortunately, I moved to Ohio, bummer.

Anyways, I would go with Charlotte out of the listed cities but don't rule out cities in South Carolina.

CashmoneyDrew
12-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Nashville!

Hines
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
AZ is pretty nice.

JFLO
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Nashville!

Nashville is sicknasty!

I've only been there once, when I was 16, but it was really cool. There is so much to do there, so yea, I wouldn't rule it out either.

The Unseen
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Florida. Do it do it do it

P-L
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Florida. Do it do it do it
I'm actually moving to Ft. Fauderdale early next year. The fiance got into grad school there.

diabsoule
12-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Go somewhere that has a good economy right now. You don't want to be stuck somewhere that has a high unemployment rate. Do some research into some southern cities that have steady jobs in the field that you would like to get in. Also, consider housing costs, living costs, and entertainment. There's a lot to consider when moving, not just is it cool or not.

roidrunner
12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
it depends on what you are looking for. Houston sucks, Austin is really the only city worth going to in texas. You will have a constant supply of hot women, i mean you are next to UT. Charlotte stinks from what i remember. ATL is alright. Nashville is really nice, so is Louisville, i also hear Savannah is also really nice.

Paul
12-08-2009, 09:57 PM
it depends on what you are looking for. Houston sucks, Austin is really the only city worth going to in texas. You will have a constant supply of hot women, i mean you are next to UT. Charlotte stinks from what i remember. ATL is alright. Nashville is really nice, so is Louisville, i also hear Savannah is also really nice.

Hey, **** you.

roidrunner
12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
no offense, i did not enjoy Dallas that much, Houston is boring, and well i really dont think there is much in EL Paso.

TACKLE
12-08-2009, 10:20 PM
So, it appears that after graduation, I'll be moving with a friend to some place down South. The only question is, where? We both need a change of scenery, so out of the Northeast, really. We're considering a few options right now. It looks like Charlotte, N.C, Atlanta, Ga., and somewhere in Texas (probably Austin or Houston) are the leading contenders. Any opinions, comments or suggestions? Much appreciated.

Don't go south. Go North. North of the 49th parallel.

That, or go on a pilgrimage to Fremont, Ohio.

roidrunner
12-08-2009, 10:33 PM
it basically depends on what your vie is, cause every city is special, are you a drinker, or a woman chaser, or an herbalist. Dont say all, cause all cities have them some are just more known for one rather than another.

Jughead10
12-08-2009, 10:36 PM

What are the reasons for the cities you listed above? I think Atlanta is terrible. I've been there once for a long weekend and it was terrible. Raleigh is better than Charlotte in my opinion unless of course you're getting a job in banking or finance which Charlotte is a good spot for. Also everything I've heard is that Houston is terrible and Austin is great. Definitely would choose Austin over Houston. Just my two cents.

roidrunner
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
raleigh or winston salem are really nice. Charlotte is kinda ghetto, the same goes with ATL.

Babylon
12-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Move to Seattle. People need a lot of help with their punctuation around here.:)

jballa838
12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Move to Seattle. People need a lot of help with their punctuation around here.:)
this. nicest city ever.

or you could be the non mormons in utah that everyone trys to convert.

therock6000
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I can personally vouch for the awesomeness of Austin or Ft. Worth. Sorry Houston...awful traffic and miserable humidity

fischbowl
12-08-2009, 10:55 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6696543-md.jpg

Buffalo, don't think of us as the Northeast, more like the gateway to the midwest

roidrunner
12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Memphis is really fun actually

TACKLE
12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Buffalo, don't think of us as the Northeast, more like the gateway to the midwest

Or the Gateway to Hamilton.

fischbowl
12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Or the Gateway to Hamilton.

Yes, that too.

Hamilton is awesome in it of itself

terribletowel39
12-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I would do the Dallas area if you are thinking of some place in Texas. Houston sucks balls. Too much traffic. Austin is a fun place to visit every now and then. But I wouldn't want to live there for an extended period.

Austin is basically just a college town/music town. Dallas has that in Denton and a lot more. Just my two cents.

CashmoneyDrew
12-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm not a Memphis fan.

TACKLE
12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm not a Memphis fan.

Is anybody?

Brent
12-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Texas mother ******.

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Is anybody?

Roidrunner.

roidrunner
12-09-2009, 01:57 AM
i had a good time when i was there. But i was only there for a night. I would not pick it over louisville though.

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Snipey, you're a closet Texas fan, i knows this. Come to Texas!

Shahin
12-09-2009, 03:21 AM
I myself plan on moving out to California when I'm done with school with a few buddies of mine, always wanted to go out there.

Smart man.

Move to Charlotte?

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Go to Austin. I've heard nothing but great things about it. It's my younger brother's name, go there, lol. Either that or Nashville, lots of people seem to like Nashville as well.

Sniper
12-09-2009, 07:12 AM
What are the reasons for the cities you listed above? I think Atlanta is terrible. I've been there once for a long weekend and it was terrible. Raleigh is better than Charlotte in my opinion unless of course you're getting a job in banking or finance which Charlotte is a good spot for. Also everything I've heard is that Houston is terrible and Austin is great. Definitely would choose Austin over Houston. Just my two cents.

My aunt's friend might be able to get me a decent job in Atlanta. Charlotte's decent. My buddy's best friend lives there, so he's interested in moving there. I've never heard bad things about Austin, so I'm really thinking it's my #1.

Go somewhere that has a good economy right now. You don't want to be stuck somewhere that has a high unemployment rate. Do some research into some southern cities that have steady jobs in the field that you would like to get in. Also, consider housing costs, living costs, and entertainment. There's a lot to consider when moving, not just is it cool or not.

I've done some research. Unfortunately, journalism jobs aren't exactly in super-high demand at the moment, so maybe I'll have to find something else. My degree's in Spanish, however, with a journalism minor, so I'm sure that'd work in Texas. Housing costs are so much ******* cheaper in the South than in the Philadelphia/West Chester area. I mean, it's not even close. I saw some places for roughly $600 or so a month that would easily go for $1,200+ here.

Snipey, you're a closet Texas fan, i knows this. Come to Texas!

I'm typing this as I'm rocking a $6 Texas shirt that I got at Steve and Barry's after the Vince Young/USC game. It's a sign.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Go to Texas and do nothing but listen to Cross Candaian Ragweed, Randy Rogers Band, Eli Young Band, and Ray Wylie Hubbard, lol.