PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow: Who's it going to be?

Day One Pick
12-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Have we ever seen a more intriguing prospect than Tim Tebow? There's so many mixed reviews on Tebow as a pro prospect that it's hard to even begin to evaluate his future in the NFL. One thing I'm certain of, some teams going to fall in love with him on draft day. I fully expect Tebow to be selected in the first round of this years draft.

So who's it going to be?

I see Washington, Oakland, Denver, Seattle, Jacksonville, and Minnesota as all possibilities. What about the rest of you?

First round lock? Future NFL QB, or another position?

FUNBUNCHER
12-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I dunno where he goes, but I feel strongly too Tebow is selected in the first 32 picks.

His physical tools and intangibles far outweigh his negatives as a QB.

AntoinCD
12-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Obviously there's the whole Jacksonville rumour but if that doesn't happen I can see some team trade up to the latter part of the first to get him. Of all the teams at the top of the second, I could see Buffalo, Washington, possibly Oakland and possibly Carolina trading up to get him. Assuming they miss on the higher rated QB prospects.

The only other scenario I say with Tebow is that a team later at the first take him as a luxury pick.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-09-2009, 08:17 AM
If the redskins take OT Rusell Okung from Oklahoma state with their top pick, and they take Tebow in the 2nd, that would be very interesting.

DeathbyStat
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
The jags will take him to spike ticket sales

The Linebacker
12-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Jacksonville will NOT take him. Vic Ketchman, Jaguars Senior Editor, has made it abundantly clear that the Jags GM, Gene Smith, will take the best available player.

Evidence supports this, as last year, everyone had Jacksonville pegged as taking Crabtree, but when Monroe dropped to the Jags, they took him. Then in the 2nd round, the Jags proceeded to take another potential 1st round talent in Eben Britton.

The whole rumor started when someone decided to misquote Wayne Weaver, the owner, when he said that he would consider taking Tebow if he was the best player at the time of the pick.

This thing has gotten out of control and hopefully people will learn that the Jags won't pick Tebow unless he is at the top of their talent board.

Qualifier - I'm a Jags season ticket holder and UF grad. Tebow is a physical specimen, but has awful mechanics and his rah-rah nonsense will not work on the NFL level. The Jags already drafted a terrible mechanics QB in Leftwich. I'm pretty positive we've learned our lesson there.

TICKET SALES WILL NOT SPIKE WITH TEBOW, winning will increase ticket sales.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Jacksonville is going to take him. If somehow they pass on him, then it's Minnesota.

The Linebacker
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Jax will not take him. He just isn't a good QB and we don't need anymore converted receivers ******. He is approximately a 3rd round talent or later based on his QB abilities alone.

The Linebacker
12-09-2009, 10:31 AM
With an almost near certainty, the Jags GM will trade down to acquire more picks. If not, then BAP.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Jax will not take him. He just isn't a good QB and we don't need anymore converted receivers ******. He is approximately a 3rd round talent or later based on his QB abilities alone.
Lol, this has been proved since 2 years ago, the Jaguars do have a crush on Tebow. It's almost certain.

Babylon
12-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Not saying i'm totally against Tim Tebow but it will probably be some organization that has people running it that don't know what they're doing. I'm thinking Washington at this point. Jacksonville would be too obvious wouldnt it?

BGB
12-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Well Childress had pretty good luck with Harvin so I could see him dipping back into the talent pool at Florida and picking Tebow. He could learn from Favre for a year and worst case scenario we could have him lead blocking for Adrain Peterson if he doesn't work out at QB. Loadholt has also been pretty damn good in pass protection on the right side which would be Tebow's blind side.

The only reason I'm not to sure about this is Childress is a freak about throwing motion. See my sig, that's an actual quote from him.

descendency
12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
career special teamer

FUNBUNCHER
12-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Not saying i'm totally against Tim Tebow but it will probably be some organization that has people running it that don't know what they're doing. I'm thinking Washington at this point. Jacksonville would be too obvious wouldnt it?

You just hurt my feelings, Babylon.:(

The truth is a *****.

Borat
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I'll say Oakland. It just seems like the ridiculously awful pick Al Davis would make.

yourfavestoner
12-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Lol, this has been proved since 2 years ago, the Jaguars do have a crush on Tebow. It's almost certain.

What was proved and by whom was it proved by?

BuddyCHRIST
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Jacksonville will NOT take him. Vic Ketchman, Jaguars Senior Editor, has made it abundantly clear that the Jags GM, Gene Smith, will take the best available player.

Evidence supports this, as last year, everyone had Jacksonville pegged as taking Crabtree, but when Monroe dropped to the Jags, they took him. Then in the 2nd round, the Jags proceeded to take another potential 1st round talent in Eben Britton.

The whole rumor started when someone decided to misquote Wayne Weaver, the owner, when he said that he would consider taking Tebow if he was the best player at the time of the pick.

This thing has gotten out of control and hopefully people will learn that the Jags won't pick Tebow unless he is at the top of their talent board.

Qualifier - I'm a Jags season ticket holder and UF grad. Tebow is a physical specimen, but has awful mechanics and his rah-rah nonsense will not work on the NFL level. The Jags already drafted a terrible mechanics QB in Leftwich. I'm pretty positive we've learned our lesson there.

TICKET SALES WILL NOT SPIKE WITH TEBOW, winning will increase ticket sales.

Maybe in theory but even when the Jags are making the playoffs you can get tickets outside the stadium for 10 bucks. Like now and that year they beat the Steelers.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Maybe in theory but even when the Jags are making the playoffs you can get tickets outside the stadium for 10 bucks. Like now and that year they beat the Steelers.
That's a good deal.

Bengalsrocket
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM

Well now I wish I was a jags fan lol.

phlysac
12-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I dunno where he goes, but I feel strongly too Tebow is selected in the first 32 picks.

His physical tools and intangibles far outweigh his negatives as a QB.

Perhaps it's just a misunderstanding of what you mean by "tools" but IMO Tebow's "tools" are what have prevented him from being an "ideal" QB.

He has average (at best) arm strength, some of the worst mechanics I've seen from a long-time starter, and questionable footwork.

Day One Pick
12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I'll say Oakland. It just seems like the ridiculously awful pick Al Davis would make.

I really agree Oakland is very possible. A typical Al Davis high profile, controversial pick.

Crickett
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Have we ever seen a more intriguing prospect than Tim Tebow?

Michael Vick.

Prophet
12-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Michael Vick.

Vick was not as intriguing. His pure speed made him seem as almost a sure thing which he proved in Atlanta.

Tebow will go in the first round. I am convinced there are enough goofy, senile owners around the league willing to take him with their first pick.

The media completely over blows the wildcat. We all know there is only one team in the league that actually utilizes the system.

KCJ58
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Rams will rake him in the 2nd round after they draft Suh :)

Babylon
12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Rams will rake him in the 2nd round after they draft Suh :)

That may not be that far fetched.

Shiver
12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I liked Troy Smith better as an NFL prospect and he went in the 5th round. I think once the scouts and general managers really look at him, really look at what his skill-set is, that is about where he will go.

Crickett
12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Vick was not as intriguing. His pure speed made him seem as almost a sure thing which he proved in Atlanta.

I don't see how that is true. Unprecedented speed for a quarterback, completely absurd arm strength (which sets him apart as a prospect from guys like Slash or Vince Young) and the ability to carry an offense entirely on his back. The combination of those three things to me, sets him apart.

I don't think he was the best QB prospect of all time, but as far as intriguing draft prospects go, yeah, I'd say Vick is #1 all time.

descendency
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Perhaps it's just a misunderstanding of what you mean by "tools" but IMO Tebow's "tools" are what have prevented him from being an "ideal" QB.

He has average (at best) arm strength, some of the worst mechanics I've seen from a long-time starter, and questionable footwork.

Questionable is a kind way to put it. He has 4 career snaps under center which hides his absolutely ABYSMAL footwok. Average arm strength is not a really bad thing. His mechanics are absolutely awful. If he were a shot putter, he might survive, but not a QB. He throws ducks not spirals. I'm surprised anyone can catch them.

Also, his intangibles are questionable as well. Can he read defenses (nope)? Can he feel the pocket (with the system around him, I'd say no)?

All he has is potential. He has the leadership, but he does not have physical tools or some of the required intangibles. I'd have him as a late round prospect at QB and a late round prospect overall.

He looks a lot like Byron Leftwhich than an NFL QB.

However, a lot of people think he won't make it out of the first round and some even have him in the top 10.

Him and Colt McCoy are college QBs that have a lot of people excited, but most of those people have never watched them on tape/recordings over and over and over to actually see how poor of a QB they actually are.

ALP1987
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
I could see a team with a stable QB currently taking him in th 2nd or 3rd and then trying to mold him into an NFL QB. Doe it work....well only time will tell.

I could also see a team drafting him and making him a big RB. A team that needs a big back to pair up with a slash back could be a good fit and you could still use him in the wildcat. Tebow isn't the fastest player in the world but he has good strength and great vision. H-Back is also a possibility.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I could see a team with a stable QB currently taking him in th 2nd or 3rd and then trying to mold him into an NFL QB. Doe it work....well only time will tell.
Hmmm... Indianapolis?

Paranoidmoonduck
12-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I liked Troy Smith better as an NFL prospect and he went in the 5th round. I think once the scouts and general managers really look at him, really look at what his skill-set is, that is about where he will go.

I'm inclined to agree. The idea of him going in the first two rounds seems ridiculous to me.

descendency
12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Hmmm... Indianapolis?

NE only has 2 QBs. I'd consider him in the 4th or 5th round.

But I'd almost be willing to bet on him not making it past pick 32.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
NE only has 2 QBs. I'd consider him in the 4th or 5th round.

But I'd almost be willing to bet on him not making it past pick 32.
To be honest, I wouldn't riot if we took him in the 1st.

broncofan7
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't see him as a first round pick, but some team will take a risk on him

The three teams I could see drafting him is the Washington Redskins (Daniel Snyder loves the big names), Oakland Raiders (Raiders love very athletic players), and the Jacksonville Jaguars (Already announced interest in him.)

ALP1987
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Hmmm... Indianapolis?

That could be an option but the only trouble i have with that is that Peyton Manning could play 5+ more years so the Colts would be using a pick this year for a QB that would be in his late 20's by the time he starts.

My dark horse team.....The Broncos. They use alot of the shotgun formation so that would be right up Tebow's ally. I think McD could really build an offense that would work with Tebow and they have the weapons needed to make him a success. Orton is average at best and Tebow could really be a weapon there.

descendency
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM

I'd cry for a week until he turned into the greatest OLB ever. . . :rolleyes:

Yea. I was talking as a late rounder, not in the first. If he goes where he should, I want him. If he goes above that... do not want.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd cry for a week until he turned into the greatest OLB ever. . . :rolleyes:
He says he's willing to play any position... I see a sign!

The Linebacker
12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Again, Jags will take BAP

A conversation with Weaver, Jags Owner ---

"The game is such an important part of this community, and Tebow is such an iconic figure that people would legitimately think, 'Wouldn't it be great if he was a Jaguar,'" Weaver said. "I'd be silly to sit here and think that's not going to be a huge thing.

"Clearly there's going to be a groundswell for Tebow, and we'll have to make that evaluation if we have a draft pick that's going to be anywhere near him," he said

People took that comment and ran with it. He clearly states that Tebow would have to be graded out to be around the pick the Jags are taking. Again, BAP.

Nalej
12-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Again, Jags will take BAP

A conversation with Weaver, Jags Owner ---

"The game is such an important part of this community, and Tebow is such an iconic figure that people would legitimately think, 'Wouldn't it be great if he was a Jaguar,'" Weaver said. "I'd be silly to sit here and think that's not going to be a huge thing.

"Clearly there's going to be a groundswell for Tebow, and we'll have to make that evaluation if we have a draft pick that's going to be anywhere near him," he said

People took that comment and ran with it. He clearly states that Tebow would have to be graded out to be around the pick the Jags are taking. Again, BAP.

So what you're saying is... the jags will trade up to the first pick of the draft and then select Tebow?

superman8456
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Teams that need a QB wont risk it on Tebow and dont have the luxury of being able to pick him. Almost every single other team in the NFL doesnt have the luxury of taking him in the early rounds either.

JT Jag
12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't riot if we took him in the 1st.Honestly, the Patriots are probably the place where Tebow would have the best chance to succeed.

They love motivational team leaders, which he is in spades. And sitting for a few years behind Brady could do him wonders.

Splat
12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I really hope he doesn't go to Oakland he is all ready going to have a up hill battle and going to Oakland would just make it worse.

wonderbredd24
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Troy Smith killed his own draft stock when he went on the banquet circuit before the National Title game and was in horrid shape for that game.

vikes_28
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Tim Tebow will have a better career than Jake Locker. Sig quote me.

gsorace
12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I never bought the idea of the Jags using a first round pick on a guy just to boost ticket sales, it just seemed to stupid

Day One Pick
12-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't see how that is true. Unprecedented speed for a quarterback, completely absurd arm strength (which sets him apart as a prospect from guys like Slash or Vince Young) and the ability to carry an offense entirely on his back. The combination of those three things to me, sets him apart.

I don't think he was the best QB prospect of all time, but as far as intriguing draft prospects go, yeah, I'd say Vick is #1 all time.

But Tebow is hailed as college football's all time greatest player. Then the whole "son of god" thing about Tebow. His winning attitude and just all around persona is what is going to get him drafted in the first round. Some owner, coach, or coordinator is just going to feel like they can make the whole package work and he can lead and carry a team and will them to win. This isn't my opinion, I just know out of 32 teams there will be atleast on taker in the first round.

Day One Pick
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM

That in itself would be a good topic. "Would you be pissed if your team took Tim Tebow in the 1st round." Anybody care to answer that?

I'm a Steelers fan and I can't say I would be mad. Confused yes.

Day One Pick
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Teams that need a QB wont risk it on Tebow and dont have the luxury of being able to pick him. Almost every single other team in the NFL doesnt have the luxury of taking him in the early rounds either.

That might be a good point. Maybe we're (most of us) are looking at it backwards. Maybe a team like the Patriots, Steelers, Colts, ect. could end up with Tebow.

FUNBUNCHER
12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Anyone think Tebow will play in any of the predraft NFL prospect games??

IMO his draft stock will soar or plummet based on how he performs in those evaluation practices and during actual game snaps.

Pat White solidified his draft prospects when he showed NFL coaches he could play under center and had a more than adequate arm with good accuracy.

Really, Tebow has no choice but to go if he has any hopes of being selected in the first 3 rounds.

Mr.Regular
12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I can see the Vikings taking a look at him in the late 1st. I do not think he is a first round prospect...or even close to it... but on FNIA Peter King said he asked a bunch of GMs around the league where they thought he'd go, and the average # was pick 33.... and 2 GM's felt they'd for sure take him in the late first, which is where King said they'd be picking. Obviously could be misinformation but if we're playing the guessing game I'd guess the Jags and Queens.

ElectricEye
12-09-2009, 10:21 PM

I would. Maybe gamble on him in the third, but he is a risky player and we have some big fat needs staring us down right now.

Prophet
12-09-2009, 11:31 PM

Oh.. I get your drift. We have different meanings of intriguing.
I agree with all you just said about MV.

Geason Noceur
12-10-2009, 01:17 AM
I can't wait to see how he does at the Senior Bowl and at the combine. I see some fumbled snaps at the Senior Bowl, a slower than anticipated 40 and great numbers in the bench press at the combine. I bet his Wonderlic score is going to be interesting.

Prophet
12-10-2009, 01:34 AM
I can't wait to see how he does at the Senior Bowl and at the combine. I see some fumbled snaps at the Senior Bowl, a slower than anticipated 40 and great numbers in the bench press at the combine. I bet his Wonderlic score is going to be interesting.

Should be a very interesting weekend for Tebow.
I'd think he could only hurt his draft stock by going. Getting only a week to practice under center in a pro offense dosen't bode well for many system guys. IMO all he will show is a big time bench.

The Linebacker
12-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Just a follow up on my previous post about Tebow only going to the Jags if he was BAP. Per AFC South Blog at ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/6775/architect-smith-talks-jags-and-yes-tebow

Tim Tebow: A local guy with a storied career in nearby Gainesville, Tebow would do a lot to perk interest in the Jaguars, who struggle at the gate. But that’s not going to be a factor in where Smith ultimately places the Florida quarterback on his draft board.

Smith said the Jags have a very good feel for Tebow, a Jacksonville product who he does believe can be a successful NFL quarterback. Smith called him an outstanding player and competitor.

“I’ve never drafted based off marketing, we have a department for marketing,” Smith said. “From my standpoint, we have a system we employ here and it’s best available player in the draft. If he’s the best available player when we’re drafting at whatever point in the draft, he would be a Jaguar. But we’ll stay with our system.”

RedVision
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
He does have a skillset somewhat similar to David Garrard as far as bulk, mobility and arm strengh

Staubach12
12-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I think the Jaguars will take him with their 2nd rounder.

RealityCheck
12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
I would. Maybe gamble on him in the third, but he is a risky player and we have some big fat needs staring us down right now.
You know who's a risky player? Brian Hoyer.

ElectricEye
12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
You know who's a risky player? Brian Hoyer.

That's not clever at all I hope you know. Not only has Hoyer looked competent when he's been on the field, but who spends a first round pick on a quarterback to play backup for three plus years when they have pressing needs?

RealityCheck
12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
That's not clever at all I hope you know. Not only has Hoyer looked competent when he's been on the field, but who spends a first round pick on a quarterback to play backup for three plus years when they have pressing needs?
Green Bay in 2005?

ElectricEye
12-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Green Bay in 2005?

Different situation. Rodgers was a much better prospect than Tebow and it was still a bad pick at the time. They went on to lose a whole bunch of games the next year. It turned out well, but I'm personally not willing to commit a significant resource into something that far away and I can almost guarantee the team isn't either. Not when we're losing games because we lack a competent defense and offensive line. That would be about as foolish and arrogant of a draft pick as you can make. We're soft in a lot of spots and a few guys are walking away next year. Absolute pipe dream, or rather, a nightmare.

JT Jag
12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Gene Smith on Tim Tebow:

“I’ve never drafted based off marketing, we have a department for marketing,” Smith said. “From my standpoint, we have a system we employ here and it’s best available player in the draft. If he’s the best available player when we’re drafting at whatever point in the draft, he would be a Jaguar. But we’ll stay with our system.”

Unbiased
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I think the Jaguars will take him with their 2nd rounder.

We don't have a second rounder.

To everyone saying he'll be a Jaguar, do any of you actually bother to listen to the general manager, the guy who makes the picks?

No, everyone wants to listen to the owner and the governor of Florida.

I just can't see how Tebow would be the best available player at ANY 1st round pick.

descendency
12-12-2009, 02:41 PM
We don't have a second rounder.

To everyone saying he'll be a Jaguar, do any of you actually bother to listen to the general manager, the guy who makes the picks?

No, everyone wants to listen to the owner and the governor of Florida.

I just can't see how Tebow would be the best available player at ANY 1st round pick.

Everyone listens to who pays the GMs salary. If he drafts a bust and Tebow actually succeeds, he'll be instantly fired. This is a CYA league as much as a copy cat league.

SKim172
12-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Tebow's chances would be improved if Alex Smith and Pat White heated up the rest of the season. Smith would show Urban Meyer QBs can play and White would show drafting Wildcat QBs is viable.

I rate Tebow about a 2nd-4th round guy. He's got intriguing potential, but clear negatives. A project with potential.

But, I would say he could be drafted anywhere from 1st to 5th. It depends on his offseason workouts. He's really gonna have to shine in the Senior Bowl.

I could see some team with a really bad front office taking him in the first round just on a whim. I'm counting out Minnesota, because they need the future QB right now to learn from the 1 or 2 seasons Favre might have left, not a project with potential to become that QB. Maybe the Browns - throw another QB into that mess and shake it until something comes out.

Al Davis is crazy - he might do anything. If he drafts Usain Bolt in April, I would only be mildly surprised.

Dan Snyder is starting down the Davis track - I could see him going unhinged enough to take Tebow.

But I still feel that if anyone takes Tebow in the first, it'll be Jacksonville. Not because of that crazy rumor, but because they really need some sort of hometown appeal. I expect they'll be going hard after Tebow regardless of what happens - maybe trade up in the 2nd to get Tebow if he's still available. No, Tebow alone will not sell out stadiums. But he will sell some seats and if he becomes a star, why, it'll be just like a movie, with the hometown hero being carried off the field by the team of misfits and castoffs, who no one believed in but themselves.

LonghornsLegend
12-12-2009, 04:29 PM
You have really got to question a team's scouting department if somebody takes Tebow in the 1st round, his mechanics are terrible and he makes the release Byron Leftwich has look extremely fast. He drops the ball well below his waise when he winds up, he's not accurate even with simple reads, he's rarely under center, the list goes on and on.

I'd be shocked if someone reached on him just because he's a good leader and scored alot of goal line TD's. Besides that, it's pretty tough to be a leader in the NFL if you can't win games, period.

Babylon
12-12-2009, 05:25 PM
You have really got to question a team's scouting department if somebody takes Tebow in the 1st round, his mechanics are terrible and he makes the release Byron Leftwich has look extremely fast. He drops the ball well below his waise when he winds up, he's not accurate even with simple reads, he's rarely under center, the list goes on and on.

I'd be shocked if someone reached on him just because he's a good leader and scored alot of goal line TD's. Besides that, it's pretty tough to be a leader in the NFL if you can't win games, period.

I think team's scouting departments are fine. What will probably happen is an owner will come in and say this frachise needs a new face and i want him to be it. May not be conventional but you know it'll happen.

Bezerk
12-13-2009, 12:04 PM
gene smith doesn't own the team

adamprez2003
12-13-2009, 01:15 PM
if tebow goes to jax in the 1st its not a move by the scouting dept but rather a business decision to try to get people in the seats. they are in a playoff race and had their game blackred out against the dolphins. the franchise will have to move soon if things dont improve soon

GaMeTiMe
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
A little surprised that I'm the first to say it, but Tebow will be a Cowboy...3rd round, with an outside chance at the 2nd.