PDA

View Full Version : Eagles extend Andy Reid

Splat
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Eagles extend Andy Reid (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/09/eagles-extend-andy-reid/)

"The Philadelphia Eagles have announced that long-time coach Andy Reid has signed a three-year contract extension.

Reid is now committed to the team through 2013."

tjsunstein
12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Personally think he's a very good coach but a lot of Eagles fans aren't exactly fond of him. Him and McNabb are leaving Philly together, whenever that may be.

Thumper
12-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Personally think he's a very good coach but a lot of Eagles fans aren't exactly fond of him. Him and McNabb are leaving Philly together, whenever that may be.

No, Donovan is gone in the next two seasons, many think the signs point to him being out after this season. Plus Andy Reid has developed Kevin Kolb to take the reigns in the future.

prock
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM
No, Donovan is gone in the next two seasons, many think the signs point to him being out after this season. Plus Andy Reid has developed Kevin Kolb to take the reigns in the future.

McNabb is leaving? Childress, go get him!

tjsunstein
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Donovan is an Eagle for life. He loves the city. Plus, if Reid believes that Kolb can lead the team better than McNabb even in 2 years, I think he's in for a rude awakening. A lot believe Kolb is the future. I just don't see it.

Go_Eagles77
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
While I think Reid would be better in a GM position, he is still in the better half of head coaches in the league IMO, so I don't disagree with this at all.

Bucs_Rule
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Donovan is an Eagle for life. He loves the city. Plus, if Reid believes that Kolb can lead the team better than McNabb even in 2 years, I think he's in for a rude awakening. A lot believe Kolb is the future. I just don't see it.

People said the same thing about Farve and Rodgers. The truth is no one knows until Kolb is given a shot. If the Eagles stay with McNabb until the he decides to retire they will have to draft another QB with a high pick.

The Eagles drafted Kolb because they believed and planned that he would take over for McNabb. Unless Kolb has disappointed the Eagles and done something to make them think he couldn't take over they should stick with their plan. Given how well he played, albeit in limited action I don't think thats the case.

Splat
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Donovan is an Eagle for life.

Tony Gonzalez is a Chief for life o wait...

You just can't say that in today's NFL.

As for some Eagles fans not liking Reid to me you should only replace you're HC if you can get someone better they would have hard time getting someone better then Reid.

The Unseen
12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Sniper might just misspell a word after hearing this

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Lawlzapalooza.

Go_Eagles77
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Lawlzapalooza.
Yeah if only we could get a head coach like Wade Phillips.

Oh wait.

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Wade Phillips has as many Superbowl rings as Andy Reid does.

Wait for it, wait for it.......

Here comes the NFCCG line.

Raiderz4Life
12-09-2009, 01:19 PM

Actually....Andy won one with the Pack and Brett Farve ;)

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't particularly care if he won one as an assistant. Wade Phillips isn't an assistant.

Bengalsrocket
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
People said the same thing about Farve and Rodgers. The truth is no one knows until Kolb is given a shot. If the Eagles stay with McNabb until the he decides to retire they will have to draft another QB with a high pick.

The Eagles drafted Kolb because they believed and planned that he would take over for McNabb. Unless Kolb has disappointed the Eagles and done something to make them think he couldn't take over they should stick with their plan. Given how well he played, albeit in limited action I don't think thats the case.

Yes, they'll have to spend another high draft pick on a QB but what team doesn't? It's not like the Kolb pick was a waste, he's already filled in nicely as a back up, and just having an "insurance" policy can be worth the 36th pick in my opinion.

Just because you spent a lot to get a guy, doesn't mean that he is the better QB and it doesn't mean you have to use to him. It would be foolish of Andy Reid to move on from McNabb if he doesn't believe Kolb gives him the best chance to win, both now and in the future.

MacNabb is 33 years old, the same age as Peyton Manning. Both are probably going to play for another 3 years, at least. Why are people in such a rush to anoint the future of the team when the current franchise QB still has so much left in him?

Bengalsrocket
12-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Just because you knew the counter argument before it happens doesn't make the point invalid.

You wouldn't have mentioned it if you didn't think it was at least somewhat relevant.

And yes, I'll take his 4 NFCCGs and Superbowl lose over wade phillips' time in Dallas =/

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
The goal at the beginning of the season is to go out and win the Superbowl, not to go out and make the NFCCG. He has failed to deliver just like Wade has.

Go_Eagles77
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I even said he would be better as a GM, his biggest flaws as a head coach come on game day. I still would take him over 75% of head coaches in the league.

Raiderz4Life
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
The goal at the beginning of the season is to go out and win the Superbowl, not to go out and make the NFCCG. He has failed to deliver just like Wade has.

Reid and Phillips don't belong in the same sentence. Reid's body of work is leaps and bounds much better than Wade's. Wade has been a failure and so has his teams. Reid has consistently put together playoff caliber teams and has had plenty success, yes he lost his 1 SB appearance but how many appearances does Wade have? How many times has he even made it past the 1st round?

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Andy Reid is the reason why the Eagles are great, and have been great for years. And as long as he's their HC, they will continue to be a consistently competitive team who has a shot to win the SB almost every year.

He's also the reason why they'll never win a SB with him as their HC.

One of the best GMs in the league. An excellent coach in the offseason, and from Monday through Saturday.

He is one of the best gameplanners in the league.

But his clock management skills, his refusal to run the ball, and his lapses during critical times in big games are the reason why he'll never win a SB as a HC.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
And seriously, comparing Andy Reid to Wade Phillips is like comparing an Ashton Martin to a fully loaded Toyota Camry.

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
LOL, so his biggest flaws are in the absolute most important aspect of his job, yet you would prefer him over 24 other head coaches?? LOL

And for the record, no one is comparing the two. I didn't even bring up Wade until one of the Eagles fans got butthurt that someone laughed at their joke of a coach.

Bengalsrocket
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM

That's a valid point and opinion, I'm not going to argue against it because it's not false. However, my opinion is that in the NFL there are different degrees of success, and Andy Reid has had more success than Phillips even if they both have failed to achieve their ultimate goal.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 01:37 PM
LOL, so his biggest flaws are in the absolute most important aspect of his job, yet you would prefer him over 24 other head coaches?? LOL

And for the record, no one is comparing the two. I didn't even bring up Wade until one of the Eagles fans got butthurt that someone laughed at their joke of a coach.

yup.

Andy Reid is far from a joke of a HC.

BmoreBlackByrdz
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Tony Gonzalez is a Chief for life o wait...

You just can't say that in today's NFL.

As for some Eagles fans not liking Reid to me you should only replace you're HC if you can get someone better they would have hard time getting someone better then Reid.

True, Wasn't Brian Dawkins supposed to be an Eagle for life?

TitanHope
12-09-2009, 02:52 PM
No such thing as a "player for life." Stopped hoping for that the day I say Air McNair in ratbird purple. :(

I, personally, think this is a good move. Probably would've waited until after the season, though.

D-Unit
12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
...and our DC Eagles fans cry tears of sadness.

BlindSite
12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
The thing about the eagles is they're not afraid to cut ties with anyone and if McNabb is cut I can see plenty of teams being boner filled for his services.

I like the signing long term for the Eagles, the team is always strong, sure they seem to get de-railed every year, but with the guys they've got in certain positions they'll be a dangerous force for the next half decade.

CC.SD
12-09-2009, 03:14 PM
And seriously, comparing Andy Reid to Wade Phillips is like comparing an Ashton Martin to a fully loaded Toyota Camry.

Ashton Martin has millions of Twitter followers. :D

yourfavestoner
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
The thing about the eagles is they're not afraid to cut ties with anyone and if McNabb is cut I can see plenty of teams being boner filled for his services.

I like the signing long term for the Eagles, the team is always strong, sure they seem to get de-railed every year, but with the guys they've got in certain positions they'll be a dangerous force for the next half decade.

Exactly. The Eagles sticking with Reid is very much like how the Steelers stuck with Cowher for so long. You know you have a good head coach and run a good organization. Keep fielding competitive teams, and you'll eventually get hot and go on that SB run. Remember that Cowher was seen as the guy who couldn't win the big one for a long time, too.

Sniper
12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I was hoping this wouldn't happen. ****. Cool, let's celebrate almost making it again! Get the Division Champs T-Shirt ready, because that's the most we'll ever celebrate.

Shiver
12-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Usually a situation like this usually occurs in College Football, where a Frank Solich or Lloyd Carr is fired for not winning championships and bowl games just aren't enough. I guess you could say Andy Reid is the NFL equivalent, but if you get rid of someone like that you risk your entire team imploding and not only do you not win any championships but you don't even make the playoffs. I think this is a smart extension, many people would kill to win the division every year and make the NFCCG five times.

Sniper
12-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I think this is a smart extension, many people would kill to win the division every year and make the NFCCG five times.

Good for them. It still means nothing unless you win it all.

Todd Bertuzzi
12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Eagles extend Reid

After yet another disappointing season the Philadelphia Eagles have decided to extend coach Andy Reid's contract for three more seasons, which will keep him with the club through the 2013/2014 season. The Eagles finished with a 10-6 record this season and after qualifying for a Wild Card spot, they were eliminated in the NFC Championship by the New Orleans Saints. This was the Eagles 5th NFC Championship appearance in the last 10 years where they are 1-4, with the only Super Bowl appearance coming back in '04 when they lost to the Patriots. Reid has been with the club since '99 and boasts a career coaching record of 107-68-1 in the regular season and a career record of 12-8 in the post season. The contract is said to be in the area of 5M a season.

Who's good?

Brent
12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Honestly, hearing people talk crap about Andy Reid is laughable. Try having coaches like Dennis Erickson or GMs like Terry Donahue. Honestly, I'd rather my favorite team at least make it to the NFCCG than not even get into the playoffs. I guess Jim Kelly was a ****** QB because he didnt win those 4 superbowls. Give me a ******* break.

Shiver
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM

So you are taking the Ricky Bobby approach to the NFL apparently?

http://static.pyzam.com/img/thumbs/bgs/lg/rickybobby.jpg

If you aint first your last

Sniper
12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
So you are taking the Ricky Bobby approach to the NFL apparently?

If you aint first your last

I take that approach to every sport. I ******* loathe when Eagles fans thump their chest about "zomgz 46 million NFC East championships" and "a million more playoff wins than Dallas since '96". Who gives a ****? We have no Super Bowls. The team with the #1 pick and the Super Bowl loser won the same amount of important things.

superman8456
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
True, Wasn't Brian Dawkins supposed to be an Eagle for life?

No one could have predicted the money the Broncos were gonna throw at him. Also, Dawkins had "buyers remorse" after signing the contract.

superman8456
12-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Kevin Kolb looked good in his two games he started this season. No reason to write him off yet as not the answer, because he very well could be the best thing to ever happen to the Eagles.

niel89
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Philly Cheese Steaks extend Andy Reid.

Sniper
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Kevin Kolb looked good in his two games he started this season. No reason to write him off yet as not the answer, because he very well could be the best thing to ever happen to the Eagles.

One was the Chiefs, the other the Saints who basically played prevent defense the entire game. Let's not get too excited.

Go_Eagles77
12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Philly Cheese Steaks extend Andy Reid.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/rikuana/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

MetSox17
12-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I take that approach to every sport. I ******* loathe when Eagles fans thump their chest about "zomgz 46 million NFC East championships" and "a million more playoff wins than Dallas since '96". Who gives a ****? We have no Super Bowls. The team with the #1 pick and the Super Bowl loser won the same amount of important things.

Spoken like a man that knows what the hell he's saying.

Bucs_Rule
12-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Having a great season but falling short is way more fun than a season of being lousy. Cardinal fans really enjoyed last season, it ended in disappointed but it was so much better than any other.

Raiders and Lions fans would love to have the Eagles past 6 years. Bad seasons stink, they are no fun.

Bucs_Rule
12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
repost. sorry/

Sniper
12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Having a great season but falling short is way more fun than a season of being lousy. Cardinal fans really enjoyed last season, it ended in disappointed but it was so much better than any other.

Raiders and Lions fans would love to have the Eagles past 6 years. Bad seasons stink, they are no fun.

Okay, but plateauing is one of the most annoying things. It indicates a lack of effort to address glaring needs from the front office, and it also indicates a lack of coaching ability when Reid's been making the same mistakes since he arrived in Philadelphia. Poor clock management, terrible use of challenges, over-reliance on the passing game with generally sub-par receiving targets (this season and 2004 notwithstanding, and even 2004 only saw one reliable WR), a disdain for the running game, repeated failures to convert on 3rd and short, and a host of other things have made him an easy target for Philly fans.

He will still call a four-yard pass on 3rd and 12 and hope that the receiver breaks 14 different tackles to get the first. He will still completely abandon the run way, way, WAY too early, despite a strong showing against playoff-caliber teams when the team balances the run and pass equally. The only time he ever learned was during Jeff Garcia's stay in Philadelphia. He didn't trust Garcia as much as he did McNabb, so he ran the ball a lot more and asked Garcia to make simple plays. Conversely, the defense stayed off the field more, and was a lot fresher when called upon. When they lost to New Orleans, it was because they (shockingly) strayed from the run.

He failed to address linebacker for the longest time, passing on a guy like David Harris to take Kevin Kolb. He failed to address getting a dominant WR for the longest time, despite having a top-3 depth chart at WR consisting of Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston and James Thrash. Reid's ego is uncontrollable. He is convinced that he can win throwing 40 times per game, when really, it's been proven that you can't. To appease the masses, he says that he considers screen passes running plays, so the numbers that we see are skewered, according to him. RUN THE ******* BALL. You'd think that as a former offensive lineman, he'd rely on the run. No. Shotgun incomplete, shotgun incomplete, play-action on 3rd and 10 when you never run and it's 3rd and ******* 10 ends in a sack is so ******* frustrating to watch. They'll look dominating one week and lose to the Raiders the next. They'll beat a good team with an almost 50/50 balance between run and pass, and then assume that that means they should throw it 48 times the next game.

**** Reid. Until he learns to stop being such an egotistical douchebag, he can go **** himself.

MetSox17
12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
The funniest thing about the Philly WR corps was that the Redskins WRs were so bad that they actually traded a draft pick for James Thrash. LMAO.