PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Portis done for good?

Splat
12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

"Washington Redskins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/was/) running back Clinton Portis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5937/) has been put on the injured-reserve list and won't be coming off of it till the season is over. But the question is whether Portis will even be able to resume his career (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/08/AR2009120804142.html), according to the Washington Post.

Portis hasn't been able to shake the effects of a concussion he got on November 8 when playing against the Atlanta Falcons (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/atl/). The team (and Portis' agent, of course) is saying that Portis will be back but he didn't sound so sure yesterday: "If it's my time, I think I had a great career."

The big issue is that Portis has had a vision problem since getting the concussion and it hasn't been getting better. Portis reportedly feels like his vision is good enough for him to get out onto the field but "the doctor feared if I took another hit like that it could get worse," he said."

DoughBoy
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I like Portis alot, but I would end it. Chances are if you get 1 severe concussion you will get another.

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I'd take it easy the rest of the season/off-season. He's a veteran and he doesn't need to be taking hits in Training Camp and Pre-Season. If when he does get back he still feels woozy after a few solid hits, he needs to call it quits then and there. There's no need to risk permanent brain damage.

UKfan
12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
That sucks to read, CP was one of my favourite players when I first got into the game, and he is a great character off the field as well

DiG
12-09-2009, 12:49 PM
theres a redskins forum that is already discussing this. hardly think it needs its own thread in nfl...either way, his comments came within in hour of hearing he was going on ir. he was depressed. i heard him on the radio. i do think hell be back next year after a strong offseason workout and i do think the skins will add another rb to compliment him and help share the workload.

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
theres a redskins forum that is already discussing this. hardly think it needs its own thread in nfl...either way, his comments came within in hour of hearing he was going on ir. he was depressed. i heard him on the radio. i do think hell be back next year after a strong offseason workout and i do think the skins will add another rb to compliment him and help share the workload.

You've had Ladell Betts for the longest time and they STILL gave Portis 30 carries a game.

CC.SD
12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
He definitely sounds like a guy who is done.

DiG
12-09-2009, 12:57 PM
You've had Ladell Betts for the longest time and they STILL gave Portis 30 carries a game.

betts never was a a good compliment to portis. portis is just a much better betts. and with portis at age 29 next year its time to start sharing the load and taking aware some of the burden. we need more of a sproles type role player.

Brent
12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
betts never was a a good compliment to portis. portis is just a much better betts. and with portis at age 29 next year its time to start sharing the load and taking aware some of the burden. we need more of a sproles type role player.
CJ Spiller?

MetSox17
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The fact that he does the same things Portis does should only cement my argument even more.

Forenci
12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
He's probably done, which is unfortunate as I always liked Portis, minus when he ran on the Giants.

Portis has always been pretty charismatic/funny guy too so I would guess there are plenty of sports media outlets who'd give him a job if he wanted it.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I always were a big fan of Clinton. He had a great career, and I guess it's about time to stop.

J52
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
The man is destined for a sports talk show.

Job
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
"Washington Redskins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/was/) running back Clinton Portis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5937/) has been put on the injured-reserve list and won't be coming off of it till the season is over.

That's redundant.

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
^ Lol captain obvious.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-09-2009, 02:45 PM
If he retires you can all but bank CJ Spiller being a Skins which I wouldn't mind. Still I think Portis comes back and shares the load with whoever. It's a shame he's been so hampered by injuries because had he been able to have a long career considering the pace he was on and the age he started in the league he could have finished top 10 all time in rushing yards.

CC.SD
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
No Champ Bailey mentions yet?

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
He just recently turned 28. That would be a shame if he's done. He had at least a couple of seasons left and could have pushed for the Hall of Fame.

the decider13
12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Absolutely loved Portis when he was on the Broncos and continued to follow his career on the Skins. I hope he recovers, but if he doesn't, he was still a helluva running back.

umphrey
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I can't believe all of these high profile major concussions happening. Is this because the NFL is more violent or because players/doctors are just now starting to report them and take the proper action? I know that if I got a concussion that affected my vision I wouldn't be back on the field until it was back to normal and any additional risks associated were gone. I'd have to think most players would feel the same way. I know they are ultra competitive football junkies but I'd think that a hit to the head that halfway blinded them would keep them off the field.

Forenci
12-09-2009, 03:34 PM
He just recently turned 28. That would be a shame if he's done. He had at least a couple of seasons left and could have pushed for the Hall of Fame.

He's really only 28? Wow. Seems like he's been in the league forever at this point. I would have guess he was 31-32 by this point.

Gay Ork Wang
12-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I dont think portis could push for the HoF

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 03:51 PM

He would've cracked 10000 rushing yards this season if he hadn't been concussed and he's only 28. If he plays 2 or 3 more good years he could probably get in on a down year because of his stats.

Shiver
12-09-2009, 04:04 PM
He would've cracked 10000 rushing yards this season if he hadn't been concussed and he's only 28. If he plays 2 or 3 more good years he could probably get in on a down year because of his stats.

Do you think he has 2 or 3 more good years? I am skeptical of that. His workload is much higher than his age would indicate seeing as how he immediate became a feature back from his rookie year at the age of 21.

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Do you think he has 2 or 3 more good years? I am skeptical of that. His workload is much higher than his age would indicate seeing as how he immediate became a feature back from his rookie year at the age of 21.

2 maybe, 3 probably not. I'm just saying he could push for those stats if he can get healthy. Big if though obviously. It also wouldn't hurt if the Redskins could put a better line in front of him and legit QB and HC presence.

CC.SD
12-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Co sign Portis won't make it. There's no such thing as a down year with the ridiculously backed up waiting list anyway.

DiG
12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Co sign Portis won't make it. There's no such thing as a down year with the ridiculously backed up waiting list anyway.

i dont think he makes it either but i also dont think his last 1000 yard year is in the books either.

CC.SD
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
i dont think he makes it either but i also dont think his last 1000 yard year is in the books either.

Why is Laron Landry not developing.

Splat
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Why is Laron Landry not developing.

He hasn't hit puberty yet.

descendency
12-09-2009, 05:17 PM
That's serious stuff. I mean, he won't just have vision problems in football. He's going to have ramifications from this his entire life.

I've always thought he was crazy (in a good way though), but he'd be seriously crazy not to retire if he is still having problems in training camp next year.

Forenci
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Much like Donovan McNabb I think Portis will fall short because of injury problems, and the fact neither of them have won a Super Bowl. More so McNabb because ultimately most people view Super Bowls as an indicator of a QB's success.

I don't really agree with it, but it is what it is I suppose. Although McNabb does have some really impressive numbers, assuming he continues to add to them for another 2-4 years too.

D-Unit
12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't think Portis is done for good, but I do think their 1 RB system should be done for good.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah this is just an accumulation of taking a pounding for so long. Portis honestly has got to be the best pass blocking RB in the game considering he has zero technique. He just throws his body into 280 pound DE's. Also he has a very physical running style despite having a relatively smaller frame minus his tree trunk neck and shoulders.

LonghornsLegend
12-09-2009, 09:54 PM
If he retires you can all but bank CJ Spiller being a Skins which I wouldn't mind. Still I think Portis comes back and shares the load with whoever. It's a shame he's been so hampered by injuries because had he been able to have a long career considering the pace he was on and the age he started in the league he could have finished top 10 all time in rushing yards.

Where do you see Spiller being drafted? I think it's all but a lock the Skins take a QB early, or move up for a guy they like. Missed their chance on Sanchez, if they really like Clausen or Bradford I doubt they pass him up.

Spiller seems like a good late round 1st type of prospect, highly doubt he'd be there in the early or middle 2nd.

Sad to hear about CP, guy was a beast and laid it all on the line for Washington as a big bruising type RB when he traditionally wasn't. He started off so slim, as a speed back in a ZBS but added so much mass while keeping his speed and became one of the most complete backs in the league. His career was the model of consistency, other then the 2 seasons he was injured and didn't finish the guy put up pro bowl caliber numbers at RB across the board.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow.......

CP is one of my favorite players behind sean taylor. This is kind of depressing. Now looking at the Redskins draft, I want Noel Devine in the 2nd round.

ElectricEye
12-09-2009, 10:19 PM
This is sad, albeit not surprising.

He had the potential to accumulate all time numbers in Denver, but he hasn't been the same guy in Washington. He's a rare case of extra weight not helping a guy out as it seems to have had just a dramatic effect on his ability to be an effective back. He's been playing like a broken man in recent years. Just seems like he takes so much more of a beating now that he doesn't have the speed to outrun guys so much anymore. Something like this was bound to happen, however unfortunate it may be. Really liked the guy, hope he gets a chance to play again.

vikes_28
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
He will come to the Vikings next year and teach Adrian Peterson how to hold onto the football....

/sarcasm

I thought Portis was in his early 30's. I guess I thought wrong. But this is terrible. Anytime an injury ends a career its sad. And especially someone as young as Portis. I always thought that the Broncos were getting the short end of this deal when it happened. But now I see it as the skins unfortunately.

Bucs_Rule
12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Its sad when a player is forced out.

Gotta be tough, being a star player since high school and no longer being able to do it.

umphrey
12-10-2009, 10:43 AM
This is sad, albeit not surprising.

He had the potential to accumulate all time numbers in Denver, but he hasn't been the same guy in Washington. He's a rare case of extra weight not helping a guy out as it seems to have had just a dramatic effect on his ability to be an effective back. He's been playing like a broken man in recent years. Just seems like he takes so much more of a beating now that he doesn't have the speed to outrun guys so much anymore. Something like this was bound to happen, however unfortunate it may be. Really liked the guy, hope he gets a chance to play again.

Huh? I thought he's had some really good years in Washington considering his supporting cast wasn't as good. About him not being the same guy in Denver, he gained some weight, lost a little speed, but has been about as good. It's his team that's different. CP has been extremely consistent and his game has very few weaknesses in an era where teams like to use multiple backs who only do one thing well.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-10-2009, 10:53 AM
A lot of people forget that Portis was only 20 years old as a rookie coming out of Miami, the dude is only 28 right now, I mean I wouldn't blame him for retiring from football with no major injuries like a blown out knee, but I know Portis could play at least 3 more seasons if he was healthy and this concussion wasn't a lingering injury.

DeathbyStat
12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Redskins might be gunning for spiller

umphrey
12-10-2009, 10:58 AM
A lot of people forget that Portis was only 20 years old as a rookie coming out of Miami, the dude is only 28 right now, I mean I wouldn't blame him for retiring from football with no major injuries like a blown out knee, but I know Portis could play at least 3 more seasons if he was healthy and this concussion wasn't a lingering injury.

Personally I'd much rather tear apart my knee than have brain damage from multiple concussions. A lot of former players with the latter suffer from depression, suicide, dementia to name a few. Even though it would suck being in a wheel chair or a permanent limp or constant pain it's slightly preferable to what Portis might be facing.

Most players deserve what they are paid, many lesser known players deserve a lot more. They are lucky if their career lasts 10 years and afterwards they are sadly often left disabled with no marketable skill, medical bills and no health insurance.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I can't really say I'm surprised. The Redskins have run Portis like he was a much bigger runner. Ever since his first year in Washington, I was dubious that Portis would make it past 30 years old in the NFL so long as the Redskins treated him like a 240 lb. power runner.

I'll miss Portis, he was entertaining both on and off the field, but I hope that if this is as serious as this sounds, he doesn't open himself up to worse head injuries. Hopefully this serves as some sort of lesson for teams to not treat their tailbacks like they're disposable, but it probably won't.

Splat
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
As good as he has been had he not left Denver I think he would have done even better.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-10-2009, 02:50 PM
As good as he has been had he not left Denver I think he would have done even better.

There's little doubt of that. His YPC in Washington was a full 1.4 yards lower than it was in Denver.

Xonraider
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
He was my favorite player in the league for a while. I remember when he used to kill Oakland... I hated that **** but he was awesome.