PDA

View Full Version : Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State

broncofan7
12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
How does everyone feel about him.

He has great size at 6-5, 306 pounds. He should be able to make a smooth transition to a 3-4 defense. Plus with a strong season this year with 41 tackles, and 6 sacks. I could potentially see him as a top 15 pick.

What is everyone else's opinion on him?

RealityCheck
12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
A great player indeed, a probable 1st rounder.

princefielder28
12-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Like you mentioned he does have the flexibility to play in a 3-4, which can only help his stock. I'm willing to put him as a first round pick, but I think top 15 may be a bit of a reach at this point.

MaxV
12-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't mind Colts picking him up. I think he's a good fit in our system.

D-Unit
12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I think he's one of those highly rated draft prospects that never really pans out in the NFL. I mean he is a Penn St. D-Lineman afterall... lol

princefielder28
12-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I think he's one of those highly rated draft prospects that never really pans out in the NFL. I mean he is a Penn St. D-Lineman afterall... lol

I can agree with that a bit...he won't end up being spectacular but I think he'll be a nice player throughout his career

SenorGato
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM

I'd be more excited if he fell to the 3rd or later like a good rotational 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT usually does...

eagles6606
12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Odrick should end up being a pretty good player. He uses his hands well and has a pretty good motor. Good pass rusher and solid against the run. He could play either 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. He should be a first round pick, but top 15 won't happen. He should go in the latter part of round 1

Day One Pick
12-10-2009, 04:55 AM
I'm high on Odrick. I think he's the 2nd best 3-4 DE prospect behind only Suh. I think he's a top 15 pick, and we could see him go very high al la Tyson Jackson to the Chiefs last year. 3-4 DE is a very important position. The Steelers are currently getting killed without their all-world DE Aaron Smith.

D-Unit
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm high on Odrick. I think he's the 2nd best 3-4 DE prospect behind only Suh. I think he's a top 15 pick, and we could see him go very high al la Tyson Jackson to the Chiefs last year. 3-4 DE is a very important position. The Steelers are currently getting killed without their all-world DE Aaron Smith.
Top 15 pick really? Which teams in that range would do it?

I like the Steelers reference though. I could picture Odrick on the back of a Steelers jersey. But they just took Ziggy Hood. Would they go Odrick if they had a chance in Round 1? Hmmm... I don't think they'll be picking at the end of the round anymore.

princefielder28
12-10-2009, 02:11 PM

I like the Steelers reference though. I could picture Odrick on the back of a Steelers jersey. But they just took Ziggy Hood. Would they go Odrick if they had a chance in Round 1? Hmmm... I don't think they'll be picking at the end of the round anymore.

If the Steelers continue to fall they'll be looking in the direction of a Joe Haden b/c that secondary has been awful.

Day One Pick
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM

If Odrick is the BPA on the Steelers board they'll take him. They did take Hood (who I was pissed about, because I see him as a bad fit) as a future replacement for Aaron Smith. They are really lacking depth there right now and I think they see how important the position is with the way they are getting killed up front with Smith out.

Really any of the 3-4 teams in the top 15 will be looking at him. With all the new 3-4 teams I think anyone who fits into the system has a drastically increased value because there is only so many of these prospects to go around.

underscore
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Interesting thing is that he's over 300lbs, but looks like he could easily carry 20 more.

bruschis4all
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
He's built a lot like Seymour. Just doesn't look like he's 300 lb's. I'm a PSU fan and have seen him play numerous times. As a Pats fan I feel he's a good fit for them too. One thing I noticed this year was that there were many plays where he beat his block but either missed tackle or didn't wrap up good enough for a sack or tackle for loss. He's pretty young. Not a red-shirt. So, he should get stronger. Poor man's Seymour IMO.

SenorGato
12-10-2009, 10:38 PM
He's built a lot like Seymour. Just doesn't look like he's 300 lb's. I'm a PSU fan and have seen him play numerous times. As a Pats fan I feel he's a good fit for them too. One thing I noticed this year was that there were many plays where he beat his block but either missed tackle or didn't wrap up good enough for a sack or tackle for loss. He's pretty young. Not a red-shirt. So, he should get stronger. Poor man's Seymour IMO.

He's built like AND looks like Seymour...but yea, poor man's version at best.

I still think Oghobaase is closer in playing style to young Seymour.

foozball
12-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Can he play the nose in a 4-3?

eaglesalltheway
12-30-2009, 11:01 PM

Yes, he is a player who can take on the double team and hog up bluckers, while still being able to get the interior push you need out of either 4-3 DT. I see that as his second best fit behind 3-4 DE actually, as he isn't a truly elite pass rusher, by any means, for a DT. He will be a guy who won't be heard from much but opens up opportunities for guys around him. He isn't a playmaker, but he can become a playstopper.

superman8456
12-30-2009, 11:01 PM

Better fit at UT to

cdmPSU17
12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes, he is a player who can take on the double team and hog up bluckers, while still being able to get the interior push you need out of either 4-3 DT. I see that as his second best fit behind 3-4 DE actually, as he isn't a truly elite pass rusher, by any means, for a DT. He will be a guy who won't be heard from much but opens up opportunities for guys around him. He isn't a playmaker, but he can become a playstopper.

If you've seen Penn State games the last two seasons, you would know he makes his fair share of plays. He's been nothing short of disruptive for PSU. He has a very high motor and gives his best on every play. Watch the Capitol One Bowl tomorrow and I promise you will not be disappointed with his effort.

D-Unit
12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
If you've seen Penn State games the last two seasons, you would know he makes his fair share of plays. He's been nothing short of disruptive for PSU. He has a very high motor and gives his best on every play. Watch the Capitol One Bowl tomorrow and I promise you will not be disappointed with his effort.
Courtney Brown and Jimmy Kennedy made plays for PSU too.

Unless they are LB or RB prospects, I don't touch PSU players.

YotoJets007
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM
I read somewhere on the internet that said he has been hanging out the bad crowd. Do you think you can gamble 1st round money on someone like him? I know I wont. 2nd Round at best for him or maybe 3rd Round.

underscore
12-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Odrick? You sure you're not talking about Bowman?