PDA

View Full Version : Best Prospects of the Decade

WMD
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
We're nearing the end of the 00's, so I figured you guys could come up with lists for the best Prospects of the Decade. I know these guys will be drafted in 2010 but.. we'll ignore that. Best Prospects from the 2000 Draft thru the 2010 Draft. Offensive, Defensive, Overall, by Position.. Top 5, Top 10, Top 20.. however you guys wanna do it. Obviously, ignore how they did in the Pros.

I didn't start following the draft closely until 2004 so I can't speak on the Drafts prior to that. Let's get some lists going!

SenorGato
12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
QB - Carson Palmer/Phillip Rivers
RB - Adrian Peterson/LT
FB - Care
TE - KW2/Davis
WR - Andre Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson

LT - D'Brick/Joe Thomas
LG - Hutchinson
C - Mangold
RG - Andrews (nice call)
RT - Oher since thats where he is now.

Thats offense...

TACKLE
12-09-2009, 09:37 PM
If I had to pick one guy at each position this is who I'd pick.

QB - Michael Vick
RB - Reggie Bush
WR - Calvin Johnson
TE - Kellen Winslow
OT - Robert Gallery
G - Shawn Andrews
C - Nick Mangold

DE - Mario Williams
DT - Ndamukong Suh
LB - LaVar Arrington
CB - Terrance Newman
S - Sean Taylor

WMD
12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2000&round=round1

There's 2000, you can go up to 2008.

WMD
12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Leonard Davis was drafted #2 Overall. Was he looked at as a LT and the Cardinals just played him at Guard, or was he strictly a Guard? That's pretty crazy, if he was drafted as a Guard he must've been an absolutely insane prospect at the position.

TACKLE
12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Leonard Davis was drafted #2 Overall. Was he looked at as a LT and the Cardinals just played him at Guard, or was he strictly a Guard? That's pretty crazy, if he was drafted as a Guard he must've been an absolutely insane prospect at the position.

I actually just looked through that draft history before my first post. Davis played LT at Texas. The Cardinals thought Davis was going to be their LT but he lacked the feet. He played his first few years as a guard with the thought that he'd develop into a LT but it never really worked out.

murdamal86
12-09-2009, 09:49 PM
This should be a good thread

Thumper
QB- Michael Vick
RB- Adrian Peterson
WR- Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson
TE- Vernon Davis
OT- Joe Thomas
OG- Davin Joseph/Shawn Andrews
C- Nick Mangold

DE- Mario Williams/Julius Peppers
DT- Haloti Ngata/Albert Haynesworth (HM- John Henderson)
LB- Dan Morgan/Aaron Curry/Patrick Willis (HM- AJ Hawk/Keith Rivers)
CB- Antonio Cromartie/ Terrence Newman
S- Laron Landry/Sean Taylor

You will be able to add Ndamukong Suh and Eric Berry to that list soon.

DeepThreat
He was drafted as a tackle and busted so they moved him to guard, like the Raiders would later do with Gallery.

Sean Taylor and Kellen Winslow Jr. might be the most insane prospects I've ever seen.

DeepThreat
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
My list:

QB: Mike Vick
RB: AP
WR: Andre Johnson/Megatron
TE: K2
LT: Joe Thomas
LG: Steve Hutchinson
C: Jeff Faine
RG: Shawn Andrews
RT: Jordan Gross (spent a lot of his career there)

DE: Mario Williams/Courtney Brown
DT: Gerrard Warren/Ndamukong Suh
OLB: LaVarr Arrington/A.J. Hawk
ILB: Dan Morgan
CB: Antrell Rolle/Pacman Jones
S: Sean Taylor/Roy Williams

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 09:56 PM
QB: Carson Palmer
HB: Reggie Bush
HB: Adrian Peterson
FB: Brian Leonard
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Charles Rogers
TE: Kellen Winslow Jr.
OT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
OT: Robert Gallery
OG: Leonard Davis
OG: Steve Hutchinson
C: Nick Mangold
DE: Julius Peppers
DE: Mario Williams
DT: John Henderson
DT: Ndamukong Suh
OLB: A.J. Hawk
MLB: Patrick Willis
OLB: LaVar Arrington
S: Sean Taylor
S: Eric Berry
CB: Terrence Newman
CB: Deangelo Hall

K: Sebastian Janikowski
P: Dustin Colquitt

TACKLE
12-09-2009, 09:59 PM
QB- Michael Vick
RB- Adrian Peterson
WR- Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson
TE- Vernon Davis
OT- Joe Thomas
OG- Davin Joseph/Shawn Andrews
C- Nick Mangold

DE- Mario Williams/Julius Peppers
DT- Haloti Ngata/Albert Haynesworth (HM- John Henderson)
LB- Dan Morgan/Aaron Curry/Patrick Willis (HM- AJ Hawk/Keith Rivers)
CB- Antonio Cromartie/ Terrence Newman
S- Laron Landry/Sean Taylor

You will be able to add Ndamukong Suh and Eric Berry to that list soon.

I know your looking back on the guys who had the best physical tools but there are some problems.

First of all, Cromartie missed his entire junior season with a torn ACL and still declared. Although everybody knew he had physical ability, there were a lot of questions surrounding him. He ended up going #19 which is where most people thought he would end up.

Adrian Peterson was obviuosly a hell of a player and prospect but there were some serious concerns on whether he could stay healthy. He only played about half a season in both his sophomore and junior seasons. By the time the draft rolled around there were even talks that Marshawn might be taken before AD because people were speculating AD would fall.

Ngata was always physically a beast but I don't think anyone predicted him going any higher than Buffalo at #8.

Though good call on Shawn Andrews. I forgot all about him.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Gotta give some love to Sean Taylor, best saftey prospect ever.

Lets not forget back to 2000, Lavar Arrington was a MONSTER.

ElectricEye
12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Without getting too deep;

QB: Carson Palmer
RB: Adrian Peterson/Reggie Bush
TE: Kellen Winslow
WR: Charles Rogers/ Calvin Johnson
T: Joe Thomas, D'Brickashaw Ferguson
G: Steve Hutchinson(I guess, but nobody really pays much attention to guards and they aren't super projetable measurable players anyway.)

DE: Julius Peppers, Mario Williams
DT: Ndamukong Suh, Gerrard Warren
OLB: Aaron Curry, Lavar Arrington
ILB: Patrick Willis, AJ Hawk(although he could play either spot)
CB: Antonio Cromartie, DeAngelo Hall
S: Sean Taylor, Michael Huff

Mr.Regular
12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I've been watching and studying the draft for a while now, but hardcore since 2005 so I'll only do my team from then until now.

2005-2010

QB: JaMarcus Russell
RB: Reggie Bush
TE: Vernon Davis
OT: Joe Thomas
OG: Brandon Albert
OC: Nick Mangold

DT: Suh
OLB: AJ Hawk
ILB: Patrick Willis
CB: Antrel Rolle* (toughest one for me to do... If I remember I had Revis and Hall ranked about the same, and I'm still getting a read on Haden. Jenkins last year was up there too.. I remember I liked Rolle better than Pacman)
S: Eric Berry*(assuming he comes out, if not definitely Landry)

ElectricEye
12-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I know your looking back on the guys who had the best physical tools but there are some problems.

First of all, Cromartie missed his entire junior season with a torn ACL and still declared. Although everybody knew he had physical ability, there were a lot of questions surrounding him. He ended up going #19 which is where most people thought he would end up.

Adrian Peterson was obviuosly a hell of a player and prospect but there were some serious concerns on whether he could stay healthy. He only played about half a season in both his sophomore and junior seasons. By the time the draft rolled around there were even talks that Marshawn might be taken before AD because people were speculating AD would fall.

I actually don't have problems at all with these. Cromartie was a really, really, really good prospect just because of how physically rare he was. There were questions about him actually translating to the field, but you don't see 6'3 4.3 corners around very often. In terms of viewing him as a prospect and throwing out draft position, he belongs. Especially given that he's established himself a bit.

The Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch thing looks completely batshit in hindsight, but you're right to bring that up. Still, that was only one side of that. There were people who thought Adrian Peterson was one of the best runningback prospects EVER. After the combine was over, most of the Marshawn Lynch crap died down anyway.

Shiver
12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
QB - Michael Vick
RB - Reggie Bush
WR - Calvin Johnson
TE - Kellen Winslow II
OT - Robert Gallery
OG - Leonard Davis
OC - Nick Mangold

DE - Mario Williams
DT - Haloti Ngata
OLB - LaVar Arrington
MLB - Patrick Willis
CB - DeAngelo Hall
S - Sean Taylor

ElectricEye
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Leonard Davis was a left tackle prospect. People need to stop sliding him into guard. That kind of undermines things a bit.

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Leonard Davis was a left tackle prospect. People need to stop sliding him into guard. That kind of undermines things a bit.

The only reason I put Davis at OG is because that's what NFL.com had him listed as when he was drafted.

ElectricEye
12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
The only reason I put Davis at OG is because that's what NFL.com had him listed as when he was drafted.

He was brought into be the left tackle of the future if I remember correctly. He played guard initially, but I'm pretty sure they imagined him playing left tackle.

It's foggier than I thought though, but in principal, I don't think the Cardinals drafted him with the intention of getting a full time guard.

phlysac
12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
QB - Michael Vick
RB - Reggie Bush
RB - LaDainian Tomlinson
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
WR - Calvin Johnson
TE - Kellen Winslow, Jr.
OT - Mike Williams
OG - Shawn Andrews
C - Jeff Faine
OG - Steve Hutchinson
OT - Robert Gallery

DE - Courtney Brown
DT - Ndamukong Suh
DT - Glenn Dorsey
DE - Julius Peppers
OLB - LaVar Arrington
ILB - Jonathan Vilma
OLB - Terrell Suggs
CB - Terence Newman
CB - DeAngelo Hall
S - Roy Williams
S - Sean Taylor

K - Sebastian Janikowski
P - B.J. Sander

energizerbunny
12-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I'll extend this question to past 15 years.

QB - Jamarcus, Leaf, Vick
RB - Adrian Peterson/Ricky Williams
FB - Rob Konrad/ Mike Alstott
WR - Charles Rogers/Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson
TE - Vernon Davis, Jeremy Shockey, Winslow
LT - Boselli/Ogden/Pace/Gallery
G - Chris Naeole, Hutchinson, Grubbs, Faneca
C - Jeff Faine/Mangold
RT - Willie Anderson, Kyle Turley, Jamal Brown (played RT @ OU)

DE - Peppers, Williams , Courtney Brown (He was insane, go look at his college TFL #'s), Terrell Suggs (if it wasnt for that slow 40 he would of gone top 3),

DT - Darryl Russell, Ngata, Suh, BJ Raji, Sapp, Tommie Harris

OLBs - Hawk, Arrington, Aaron Curry,
MLBs - Dan Morgan, Patrick Willis, Chris Claiborne, Urlacher

CBs - Shawn Springs, Charles Woodson, Newman, Jammer

S - Sean Taylor, Troy Palumalu, Huff, Landry

K - Janikowski/ Mike Nugent
P - Lechler

KR - Hester

Thumper
12-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Ngata was always physically a beast but I don't think anyone predicted him going any higher than Buffalo at #8.

Though good call on Shawn Andrews. I forgot all about him.

I understand your point, but the topic was best prospect and prospect to me equates to potential and at 6'2" with 4.3 speed and crazy athleticism Cromartie was physically the ideal corner.

Also Ngata was a physical monster at 6'4" and 338 pounds running a 5.13 and benching 225 37 times.

And IMO AD was the best prospect, the only reason he wasn't picked higher was because of injury concerns but everyone knew that he was the best running back prospect of the decade, people have been saying he would be the best ever since his freshman year and saying he would go to the hall of fame. IMO Adrian Peterson was a better pure RB prospect than Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden.

Saints-Tigers
12-09-2009, 10:59 PM
I had it:

QB: Vick
HB: Bush
WR: Calvin Johnson( Andre Johnson isn't that close either)
LT:D'Brick
G: Shawn Andrews
C: LeCharles Bentley

DT: Suh, Glen Dorsey, Ngata
LB: Lavar Arrington, Derrick Johnson
CB: DeAngelo Hall, Terrence Newman
S: Sean Taylor, Eric Berry

Suffice to say, I thought the Mario Williams draft was one of the strongest ever, I had all 3 QBs rated really high, Ngata really high, Ferguson really high, and Vernon Davis really high... only one of the top 10 I wasn't really high on like everyone else was AJ Hawk.

Mr.Regular
12-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I had it:

QB: Vick
HB: Bush
WR: Calvin Johnson( Andre Johnson isn't that close either)
LT:D'Brick
G: Shawn Andrews
C: LeCharles Bentley

DT: Suh, Glen Dorsey, Ngata
LB: Lavar Arrington, Derrick Johnson
CB: DeAngelo Hall, Terrence Newman
S: Sean Taylor, Eric Berry

Suffice to say, I thought the Mario Williams draft was one of the strongest ever, I had all 3 QBs rated really high, Ngata really high, Ferguson really high, and Vernon Davis really high... only one of the top 10 I wasn't really high on like everyone else was AJ Hawk.
How awesome was 2006?! 2007 was pretty damn good too. 09 was alright, 08 was pretty bad, and 05 was God awful. Im thinking 2010 will be a notch below 2007 quality, but above 2009, 08, and 05.

Prophet
12-09-2009, 11:22 PM
QB - Palmer/Vick
RB - Bush
WR - Calvin Johnson/Fitzgerald/C.Rogers
TE - Davis/Winslow
OT - Gallery/Samuels/J.Thomas/Brick
DE - Peppers/Williams/C.Brown
DT - Suh/Robertson
LB - Arrington/Hawk/Curry
CB - Hall/Rolle/Newman
S - Berry/Taylor/Landry

K - Janikowski (hahaha)

SenorGato
12-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Defense:

3-4 DE - Richard Seymour
3-4 OLB - Suggs/Ware/Merriman

4-3 DE - Peppers/Williams (personal fav. was Justin Tuck)
4-3 DT - Kevin Williams (totally could have played 3-4 DE if drafted by a 3-4 team)

MLB/ILB - Willis

CB - Revis, Terrence Newman
S - Sean Taylor

RaiderNation
12-10-2009, 01:16 AM
QB Palmer/Vick
RB Bush/AD
WR Calvin Johnson
TE Vernon Davis/KW2
OT Joe Thomas
OG Shaun Andrews
C Nick Mangold

DE Julius Peppers
DT Ndamukong Suh
LB Lavar Arrington
CB Deangelo Hall
S Sean Taylor/Eric Berry

BigBanger
12-10-2009, 02:45 AM
QB - Philip Rivers, NC State
RB - Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
TE - Vernon Davis, Maryland / Kellen Winslow Jr, Miami (FL)
WR - Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh
OT - Joe Thomas, Wisconsin
OG - Branden Albert, Virginia
C - Nick Mangold, Ohio State / Ryan Kalil, USC
OG - Ben Grubbs, Auburn
OT - Jake Long, Michigan

DE - DeMarcus Ware, Troy
DT - Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
DT - Haloti Ngata, Oregon
DE - Terrell Suggs, Arizona State / Mario Williams, NC State
OLB - AJ Hawk, Ohio State
MLB - Patrick Willis, Mississippi
OLB - Shawn Merriman, Maryland / Derrick Johnson, Texas
CB - Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh
SS - Troy Palumalu, USC / Michael Huff, Texas
FS - Sean Taylor, Miami (FL) / Ed Reed, Miami (FL)
CB - Terrence Newman, Northwestern

AC IS ART
12-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Sean Taylor
Kellen Winslow
Vernon Davis
Lavar Arrington
Laron Landry
Adrian Peterson
Patrick Willis
AJ Hawk
Shawne Merriman
Michael Vick
Antonio Cromartie
Joe Thomas
Julius Peppers
Mario Williams
Vernon Gholston
Brick Ferguson
Megatron
Carson Palmer
Glenn Dorsey
Reggie Bush
Larry Fitzgerald
Aaron Curry
Vince Young
Ndamakong Suh
Robert Gallery

CC.SD
12-10-2009, 03:22 AM
As prospects here is my list. Some of the names in this thread don't make too much sense, were not even considered best in their own draft at their position.

Carson Palmer
Bush
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Kellen Winslow

Joe Thomas (coming off the injury even)
Shawn Andrews
Alex Mack
Steve Hutchinson
Jake Long

Mario Williams
Glenn Dorsey
Gerard Warren
Julius Peppers

Lavar Arrington
Aaron Curry
AJ Hawk

Sean Taylor
Laron Landry
Pacman Jones
Deangelo Hall

niel89
12-10-2009, 03:59 AM
damn man Calvin Johnson was just a perfect prospect.

GhostDeini
12-10-2009, 04:01 AM
Wonder why nobody has mentioned Bryant McKinnie. He was one of the most dominant tackles in college football history, never allowing a sack and shutting out Dwight Freeney when he was leading NCAA in sacks.

Props to that one guy who mentioned Shawne Merriman. I know DeMarcus Ware turned out the better player but Merriman was the best prospect in that entire draft.

Finally, the overall best prospect I've seen this decade was the late great Sean Taylor. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/brawleyboy25/sean.jpg

Sveen
12-10-2009, 07:09 AM
I have only followed the Draft since 2006 (I'm from Norway). So here is my very limited list from 2006 to 2009.

QB: Vince Young
FB: Le'Ron McClain
OG: Ben Grubbs

DT: Glenn Dorsey
LB: A.J. Hawk
CB: Leodis McKelvin
S: LaRon Landry

K: Mason Crosby
P: Daniel Sepulveda
RS: Devin Hester

senormysterioso
12-10-2009, 07:32 AM

Just a few issues here...how could Rivers be the top QB prospect of the decade when he wasn't even the first QB taken in his class? Hindsight being 20/20, he's a great player. And Terrence Newman went to Kansas State.

umphrey
12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Guys who shouldn't be on this list:

Adrian Peterson: He was coming off a season ending injury and lots of people thought he wouldn't stay healthy in the NFL. Here are the RBs that were taken earlier than him: McFadden, Bush, R Brown, Benson, Cadillac Williams, Tomlinson, Jamal Lewis. Bush was easily the best running back prospect of the decade.

Jamarcus Russell: Debatable since he went first overall, but that was all Al Davis. IMO there were some much better QB prospects because so many people profiled Russell as a boom or bust guy who was a big man with a big arm who had a long way to go mentally. Vick, for example, was similar in a lot of ways except had 4.3 speed and had phenomenal running ability. Carson Palmer was a more elite prospect because he had much less bust potential and fit the mold of the classic pocket passer that so many of the elite QBs are. Stafford as well, I'm suprised he didn't get a mention as a runner up.

Ozzy
12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
It is a hard list to make because most just go with who are the best pro players at the time. Well here is my list according to what they were and could have been coming out of college. Players that impressed me the most in college football and not going off of what they did at pro players.

QB Michael Vick: Virginia Tech
RB Reggie Bush: USC
FB Le'Ron McClain: Alabama
TE Kellen Winslow Jr: Miami FL
WR Larry Fitzgerald: Pittsburgh
WR Calvin Johnson: Georgia Tech
OT Bryant McKinnie: Miami FL
OG Shawn Andrews: Arkansas
C Nick Mangold: Ohio State
OL: Andre Smith: Alabama
OT Robert Gallery: Iowa

DE Julius Peppers: UNC
DT Ndamukong Suh: Nebraska
DT Glenn Dorsey: LSU
DE Mario Williams: NC State
OLB LaVarr Arrington
ILB Rolando McClain: Alabama
OLB AJ Hawk: Ohio State
CB Quentin Jammer: Texas
SS Eric Berry: Tennessee
FS Sean Taylor: Miami FL
CB Joe Haden: Florida

K Sebastian Janikowski: Florida State
P Daniel Sepulveda: Baylor
Return Man: Ted Ginn Jr.

The main ones for me that are obvious were Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Vick, Julius Peppers, Sean Taylor and Robert Gallery.

Sad thing is, if you look at only 1st round prospects, the group of corners are pretty weak overall. That is why I put Haden on their, because few of those players had star potential before they got to the NFL. Sure some are stars now but most of them came from later rounds who turned out to be better players in some cases. And Andre Smith was clearly pre end of the season, that was just odd but before that who did not want the kid?

It is sweet to see so many current defense prospects this year on so many lists. And in the end I bet it turns out that way, this is a great class of prospects overall depending on what juniors come out. P.S. looking back the 1st round of the 2005 class is extremely weak, wow.

GhostDeini: Wonder why nobody has mentioned Bryant McKinnie. He was one of the most dominant tackles in college football history, never allowing a sack and shutting out Dwight Freeney when he was leading NCAA in sacks.Just saw this quote after posting, completely agree, hard to argue him with the hype and success he had at Miami.

ElectricEye
12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Guys who shouldn't be on this list:

Adrian Peterson: He was coming off a season ending injury and lots of people thought he wouldn't stay healthy in the NFL. Here are the RBs that were taken earlier than him: McFadden, Bush, R Brown, Benson, Cadillac Williams, Tomlinson, Jamal Lewis. Bush was easily the best running back prospect of the decade.

Again, that's extremely debatable. More than a few people didn't have the problems with Adrian Peterson some people had. None of those guys there were better "prospects" in my opinion, with perhaps the exception of Bush. For as many people who said Adrian Peterson was overrated, there were just as many who stayed faithful with him. I vividly remember rocking an "I Remember Adrian Peterson" avatar here and posting in support of him, along with others, in a lot of threads.

umphrey
12-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I think in the general manager world he was a scary player to draft because no one wants a running back who is hurt half the time, and taking one top 10 means you plan on feeding him the ball at least 20 times a game and if you can't you failed. I'd bet at the time they would have felt much more comfortable with Bush, Tomlinson, McFadden.

Note: I realize that Bush was a top prospect that most people didn't think would get 20 carries a game but he was expected to touch the ball that many times easily catching passes and returning kicks.

Remember how shocked people were when Bush didn't go first overall? I suppose you can argue that Peterson was #2, although I disagree, but no question Bush was #1.

Ozzy
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Again, that's extremely debatable. More than a few people didn't have the problems with Adrian Peterson some people had. None of those guys there were better "prospects" in my opinion, with perhaps the exception of Bush. For as many people who said Adrian Peterson was overrated, there were just as many who stayed faithful with him. I vividly remember rocking an "I Remember Adrian Peterson" avatar here and posting in support of him, along with others, in a lot of threads.Clearly the only thing was the injury history, him as a player, he was elite and could be argued that he would be on the list for a RB. As a freshman, how can you not be impressed with what he did, and really no player has come into college with the same kind of impact at running back that he had. So yeah he could easily be on the list and there is really nothing to argue. I have Bush but that is just because he was so amazing in college, but would I have Peterson on their without the injury history? Hell yeah, no question. So yeah really nothing to debate, Peterson is easily part of this group, all depends on who is watching.

umphrey
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
So you want to start ignoring injury history? If we do that we better start these lists over from scratch. Injury history is a bigger detriment to RB than any other position as a prospect, IMO.

I agree on this: Peterson was definitely the second most impressive runner in college and better than Bush when we're talking about ability translating to the pro game.

ElectricEye
12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I think in the general manager world he was a scary player to draft because no one wants a running back who is hurt half the time, and taking one top 10 means you plan on feeding him the ball at least 20 times a game and if you can't you failed. I'd bet at the time they would have felt much more comfortable with Bush, Tomlinson, McFadden.

Two things that are completely wrong with this post; let's look at the 2007 draft. Who picked above the Vikings?

Raiders; Coming off a horrible season where it became glaringly obvious that Andrew Walter was not going to be a solution for them. If they had taken anyone besides Russell or Quinn they wouldn't have been really trying.

Lions; Calvin Johnson might have been the one player in the draft with more potential than Adrian Peterson. They also had spent a first round pick on Kevin Jones recently, and while he was injured, they were, at this point, hoping he could return to the form he showed his rookie year.

Browns; Joe Thomas made more than a couple of the all decade lists here. They had also hoped to get some production out of the recently signed Jamaal Lewis. Runningback was a need, but they were so bad that they couldn't really ignore the offensive line.

Bucs; Another team that had spent a high pick on a runningback they hoped would pan out for them. Caddy had got hurt that year, but people had little reason to believe he wouldn't recover.

Cardinals; They just given a massive contract to Edgerrin James. They would have gotten killed for taking AD.

Nobody really had a pressing need for a runningback that year. This brings me into my next point; nobody usually does. Runners are so easy to find, especially with rise of the two back system philosophy. By the time the 2007 Draft had rolled around, runners were already a devalued commodity. Peterson might have fell a bit because of his running style and injury issues, but that wasn't the only reason he wasn't a top five pick. Draft position doesn't even really matter with a thing like this anyway. We're talking about pure prospects. The vast majority of people who saw AD run in college would agree with me that he probably was the best runningback prospect in the past twenty years, let alone ten. The only other person to really come to mind there is Reggie Bush...but you could argue, not retroactively either, that he had his share of issues as well.

brat316
12-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Robert Gallery was the best LT prospect of the decade can't miss LT. He was an awesome PROSPECT, but sucked as a pro player.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-10-2009, 10:48 AM
RB - Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
TE - Vernon Davis, Maryland / Kellen Winslow Jr, Miami (FL)
WR - Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh
OT - Joe Thomas, Wisconsin
OG - Branden Albert, Virginia
C - Nick Mangold, Ohio State / Ryan Kalil, USC
OG - Ben Grubbs, Auburn
OT - Jake Long, Michigan

DE - DeMarcus Ware, Troy
DT - Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
DT - Haloti Ngata, Oregon
DE - Terrell Suggs, Arizona State / Mario Williams, NC State
OLB - AJ Hawk, Ohio State
MLB - Patrick Willis, Mississippi
OLB - Shawn Merriman, Maryland / Derrick Johnson, Texas
CB - Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh
SS - Troy Palumalu, USC / Michael Huff, Texas
FS - Sean Taylor, Miami (FL) / Ed Reed, Miami (FL)

Nice overall list, only thing I disagree with is Darrelle Revis was not one of best CB prospects in the past 10 years. I mean hes playing great now and everything, but honestly I considered someone like Pacman Jones, Deangelo Hall better CB prospects overall.

umphrey
12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Two things that are completely wrong with this post; let's look at the 2007 draft. Who picked above the Vikings?

[snip].

Well, you never addressed my point. IMO NFL GMs highly value health in running backs, especially someone they intend to pay to be a feature back, and when that red flag comes up they are automatically docked from elite prospect status.

Like I said, I agree that Peterson was an amazing runner. See my previous post.

ElectricEye
12-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Well, you never addressed my point. IMO NFL GMs highly value health in running backs, especially someone they intend to pay to be a feature back, and when that red flag comes up they are automatically docked from elite prospect status.

Health was a concern but that doesn't take away from what he was as a prospect. Not that health doesn't come in to play, but Peterson was such a talent that I thought it would come together for him no matter what. The entire injury thing was overblown anyway. Didn't have any real, serious injuries. It would be different if he had something with his legs or his knees, but it was just an ankle sprain and a collarbone injury.

keylime_5
12-10-2009, 11:43 AM
QB-Carson Palmer
RB-Adrian Peterson
WR-Calvin Johnson
TE-Kellen Winslow Jr.
OT-Robert Gallery
OG-Shawn Andrews
C-Nick Mangold

DE-Mario Williams
DT-Ndamukong Suh (does he count for this decade?) if not....Gerard Warren
LB-LaVarr Arrington (does he count for this decade too?) if not...AJ Hawk
CB-Terence Newman
S-Sean Taylor

BigBanger
12-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Just a few issues here...how could Rivers be the top QB prospect of the decade when he wasn't even the first QB taken in his class? Hindsight being 20/20, he's a great player. And Terrence Newman went to Kansas State.
Philip Rivers has been the best QB I've seen in college football. That's more of a personal list.

Same thing with Revis... after Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson, Revis was 4th on my board. He's been by far my favorite corner prospect. I thought he was vastly underrated and anything outside the top 5 became a steal. That draft alone, for me, had the best LT prospect I've ever seen, the best WR prospect I've ever seen, the best RB prospect I've ever seen, the best CB prospect I've ever seen and the best MIKE backer prospect I've ever seen.

BigBanger
12-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Darren McFadden had more issues regarding injuries and the potential for more injuries with his running style and bony frame than just about any RB prospect I can think of.

Reggie Bush? People didn't even bother asking if a 205 pound back with his frame could handle the load. It was his biggest question mark... durability. Everybody, including myself, ignored all the concerns and looked at the highlight reel.

I'd bet at the time they would have felt much more comfortable with Bush, Tomlinson, McFadden.
McFadden? The guy had people calling him a top 20 pick, not a top 5 pick, a top 20 pick. He isn't even close to being in the discussion. Some people overrated him because he ran fast and then would compare him to Peterson, then people would get a reminder that Peterson is bigger and stronger (not to mention just as fast), and he had more patience and ten times better vision... as well as cut back ability and shiftiness. McFadden wasn't and never will be close to the prospect or player AD is or was. And McFadden fumbled a lot more.

4.33. That's why he was drafted so high and by? Oakland?

In reality, he wasn't even the best RB on his own team and he wasn't the best RB in his class.

Prophet
12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Reggie Bush? People didn't even bother asking if a 205 pound back with his frame could handle the load. It was his biggest question mark... durability. Everybody, including myself, ignored all the concerns and looked at the highlight reel.

Agreed. The fact that the media dubed the 06 draft the "Reggie Bush sweepstakes" should be proof enough that he was the highest rated RB prospect of the decade.

SenorGato
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Forgot about Brandon Albert at G...I thought that guy was a sick G prospect.

He's playing LT now, no? How's he doing there?

Also, maybe I'm being a really hardcore homer, but again all I see is D'Brick getting underrated. Had he come out in '05 he would have been a top 10 pick, and he was a no doubt top 5 pick in a loaded '06 draft.

GhostDeini
12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Is somebody really trying to tell me Adrian Peterson shouldn't be mentioned ??????????? Have you lost your mind ? He is a top 3 NFL prospect of the entire decade: Sean Taylor, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson. Like I've said before, he is the only 18 year old I've ever seen that was ready for the NFL.

And for those saying Robert Gallery, you guys are also losing it. I don't care about 40 time. That doesn't make an elite prospect. His arms were short as hell and he wasn't even that strong. McKinnie, Thomas, Long were all better Left Tackle prospects.

murdamal86
12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Is this based on hype and how they panned out or just hype when coming out of college?

initial_flo
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Is this based on hype and how they panned out or just hype when coming out of college?

Just hype that's it and that's all.

ElectricEye
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Neither I would say. From a prospective standpoint, hype and results matter very little. I would go with talent as the measurement here.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Ngata wasn't an elite prospect because people fell in love with Bunkley because he looked like the Hulk with his shirt off.

Thumper
12-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Ngata wasn't an elite prospect because people fell in love with Bunkley because he looked like the Hulk with his shirt off.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/JOENEJALJMOD/bunkley_gal_060429.jpg

wonderbredd24
12-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Steve Hutchinson, G and no one else is even close

dex
12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
People putting Jamarcus Russell on the list have to be joking.

If all you needed was arm strength at the QB position then i could agree but it's not. He wasn't all that bright, not that good at reading defenses, accuracy was still a issue in college and ect.

Shane P. Hallam
12-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Same reason I fell in love with Andre Smith.

senormysterioso
12-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Same reason I fell in love with Andre Smith.

http://www.dontboothebirds.com/img/andre-smith.jpghttp://www.firstshowing.net/img/blob-img-sm.jpg

I see a definite resemblance

murdamal86
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Steve Hutchinson, G and no one else is even close

wasn't Toniu Fonoti rated very high coming out of college? Obviously nowhere the prospect Hutch was, but still.

Michigan
12-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmm...

QB- JaMarcus Russell
RB- Reggie Bush
FB- Brian Leonard
WR- Peter Warrick
WR- Calvin Johnson
TE- Vernon Davis
OT- Robert Gallery
OG- Steve Hutchinson
C- Ryan Kalil
OG- Branden Albert
OT- Bryant McKinnie

DE- Mario Williams
DT- Dewayne Robertson
DT- Glenn Dorsey
DE- Courtney Brown
OLB- LaVarr Arrington
MLB- Dan Morgan
OLB- AJ Hawk
CB- Quentin Jammer
CB- DeAngelo Hall
FS- Sean Taylor
SS- Roy Williams

WMD
12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Now let's see some lists, people! Who are the Top 5/Top 10 offensive and defensive prospects of the decade? That should be fun.

Thumper
12-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Offense:
1. Michael Vick
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Reggie Bush
5. Carson Palmer

Michigan
12-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Now let's see some lists, people! Who are the Top 5/Top 10 offensive and defensive prospects of the decade? That should be fun.

Hmm

Offense
1. WR Calvin Johnson
2. WR Peter Warrick
3. WR Larry Fitzgerald
4. OT Robert Gallery
5. WR Andre Johnson
6. RB Reggie Bush
7. OT Bryant McKinnie
8. WR Charles Rogers
9. OT Jake Long
10. OT Joe Thomas

(WR and OT seem to produce prospects with the least noticeable flaws)

Defense
1. OLB LaVarr Arrington
2. DE Mario Williams
3. DE Courtney Brown
4. DE Julius Peppers
5. FS Sean Taylor
6. MLB Dan Morgan
7. OLB Aj Hawk
8. DT Dewayne Robertson
9. OLB Aaron Curry
10. MLB Patrick Willis

senormysterioso
12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Hmmm...

QB- Mike Vick
RB- Reggie Bush
FB- Brian Leonard
WR- Larry Fitzgerald
WR- Calvin Johnson
TE- Vernon Davis
OT- Robert Gallery
OG- Steve Hutchinson
C- Nick Mangold
OG- Shaun Andrews
OT- Joe Thomas

DE- Mario Williams
DT- Dwayne Robertson
DT- Ndamukong Suh
DE- Courtney Brown/Julius Peppers
OLB- LaVarr Arrington
MLB- Patrick Willis
OLB- AJ Hawk
CB- Quentin Jammer
CB- Terrence Newman
FS- Sean Taylor
SS- Michael Huff (he's a FS, but oh well)

I like you're list for the most part, I made a few changes

Prophet
12-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Offense
1. Michael Vick
2. Reggie Bush
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Robert Gallery
5. Jake Long

Defense
1. LaVarr Arrington
2. Mario Williams
3. Julius Peppers
4. Ndamukong Suh
5. Sean Taylor

SenorGato
12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Top 5 on offense:

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Reggie Bush
4. Andre Johnson
5. Carson Palmer/Larry Fitzgerald

Defense:

1. Sean Taylor
2. Julius Peppers
3. Lavvar Arrington
4. Mario Williams
5. Patrick Willis/AJ Hawk

BuddyCHRIST
12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I'll go with the guys I had highest rated, a few busts.

QB: Quinn
RB: McFadden
WR: Calvin
TE: Vernon
DE: Peppers
DT: Suh
LB: Derrick Johnson
CB: Hall

I haven't been following the draft that intensely for the whole decade (prolly about 3/4) so some early guys I didn't have an opinion on (Arrington)

Supporting Caste
12-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I just came into this thread to say Suh. The guy is probably the best prospect I've ever seen.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Not counting the upcoming class...

Top 10 overall

1) Calvin Johnson
2) Michael Vick
3) Mario Williams
4) Larry Fitzgerald
5) Sean Taylor
6) Carson Palmer
7) Robert Gallery
8) Julius Peppers
9) Eli Manning
10) Adrian Peterson

SenorGato
12-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Health was a concern but that doesn't take away from what he was as a prospect. Not that health doesn't come in to play, but Peterson was such a talent that I thought it would come together for him no matter what. The entire injury thing was overblown anyway. Didn't have any real, serious injuries. It would be different if he had something with his legs or his knees, but it was just an ankle sprain and a collarbone injury.

Yea, those Peterson healthy issues never got to me. They were pretty freaky (the collarbone) and the guy is just an elite amongst elite athletes. He was basically Calvin Johnson as a RB prospect...

P-L
12-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Hmm... Tough. Let's see.

Offense
1. Adrian Peterson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Michael Vick
4. Calvin Johnson
5. Andre Johnson
6. Reggie Bush
7. Robert Gallery
8. Jake Long
9. Vernon Davis
10. Joe Thomas

Defense
1. Mario Williams
2. Sean Taylor
3. Julius Peppers
4. LaVar Arrington
5. Courtney Brown
6. Terrence Newman
7. Roy Williams
8. Glenn Dorsey
9. DeAngelo Hall
10. Pacman Jones

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
QB- Mike Vick
RB- Edgerrin James
FB- Ricky Williams (I cheated)
WR- Peter Warrick/ Calvin Johnson
TE- Kellen Winslow
OT- Bryant McKinnie/ Joe Thomas
OG- Shawn Andrews/ Davin Joseph
C- Nick Mangold

DE- Julius Peppers/ Courtney Brown
DT- Kevin Williams/ John Henderson
OLB- Lavarr Arrington/ Derrick Johnson
MLB- Ernie Sims (I cheated again, he made it cause he hit so damn hard)
CB- Antrell Rolle (Shut L Fitz doooown)/ Dre Bly/ Champ Bailey
S- Sean Taylor :(

K- Mason Crosby
P- Dustin Colquitt

wogitalia
12-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Personally I feel if you didn't go in the top 2 in your position in your own draft then you have no case on this list and I really only say that for the special situations where you have guys like Eli Manning being picked ahead of Rivers for his name as much as anything or the Raiders throwing out the order with guys like DHB.

I have only really followed since the 2004 draft and even then I really only started following passionately in 2005. With that said, anyone who makes my list from prior to that I know was a pretty special prospect because I have heard as much and there are some guys that I just don't know as prospects.

QB
1. Carson Palmer - I know was basically considered the perfect QB prospect.
2. Michael Vick - Outrageous athletic ability and a cannon. Also had a lot of hype.
3. JaMarcus Russell - The Cannon, good accuracy in college in a tough conference. Only knock was he was only a junior and some work ethic issues.
4. Matthew Stafford - Was generally graded as a elite last year.
5. Phillip Rivers - The general consensus that I felt at the time was he was a better prospect than Eli. They are basically the 5/6 for me.

Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn were the guys who would have been elite if they had come out as juniors, but by going back were over analysed to the point that they fell as prospects and both probably would have made the list as juniors.

RB

1. LT - From what I hear was pretty much the perfect RB prospect.
2. AP - Outside of injury concerns and an overly upright running style and a lack of evidence regarding his receiving, was a pretty much perfect prospect.
3. RB - There were concerns if he could be an everydown back and about his size, but was still graded elite and had the media thing covered.
4. McFadden - Elite Speed, great stats, ran well. Didn't really have any knocks on him as a prospect.
5. Jamal Lewis - I'm guessing with his size/speed combo he would have been a pretty highly rated prospect. I don't know, but I can't see anyone else in the decade that was all that highly rated coming out, so I assume he must have been higher.

There really is a clear cut top 4 that I know of and I assume 5th, McGahee is the honourable mention because without blowing out his knee he would have been an elite rated back also.

WR

1. Calvin Johnson - Size, Hands, Speed, Highlight Reel, Sick nickname. Complete package.
2. Charles Rogers - Busted hard, but anyone who got picked over the prospect that was Andre Johnson is a hell of a prospect.
3. Andre Johnson - See Johnson description, minus the nickname.
4. Larry Fitzgerald - Size, Hands, Highlight reel, lacked the elite timed speed.
5. Braylon Edwards - Had it all coming out of college.

Mike Williams is probably the honorable mention here, had he not have been kept out of football for a year, I think he would have graded elite, basically a similar line to how Fitzgerald is above.

OT
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Was the highest rated OL guy that I have seen as a prospect.
2. Joe Thomas - A close second to Ferguson.
3. Robert Gallery - If Al Davis took him over some of the freaks in his draft, you know he was an elite prospect, I imagine he was a better prospect than my 1-2, but I just don't know for sure.
4. Jason Smith - Was considered an elite LT prospect last year.
5. Jake Long - Was considered an elite RT prospect but there were doubts on him at LT, which is why he falls.

Guys like Jake Long make up the rest of the list for me, guys who graded as elite RT prospects(Andre Smith for eg.) but not as LT, they lose points for being the lesser value position basically but may be better prospects.

OG

1. Steve Hutchinson - Guard taken with pick 17 says it all.
2. Davin Joseph - A monster prospect of a guard also. Again, first round status says the kind of prospect you are at guard.
3. Kendall Simmons - I'm basically grading on 1st round status now as he was before my time and I can't think of any guards that went as high as him.
4. Ben Grubbs - Was highly rated and highly picked from memory.
5. Logan Mankins - Was again a first rounder, which says a lot about a guard.

I believe the above 5 are the only first rounders spent on guards.

OC

1. Nick Mangold - Was the highest rated center that I have seen, I can remember seeing him rated as the best OL in his draft, which given where D'Brickashaw ranked amongst OTs should say something. May be the best OL prospect I have seen, position aside.
2. Alex Mack - Was also pretty close to the perfect center.
3. Jeff Faine - I don't know a lot about him as a prospect other than that he was highly rated.
4. Chris Spencer - Was very highly rated in his draft.
5. Max Unger - Was rated very highly because of his versatility. I think he breaks my own top 2 rule though.

DE

1. Julius Peppers - The myth of how good he was as a prospect will haunt all future DEs.
2. Mario Williams - Except maybe this guy who was every bit his equal.
3. Dwight Freeney - Less than ideal size was all that stopped him being a scarier prospect than Peppers.
4. Vernon Gholston - There were concerns but he was graded elite.
5. Brian Orakpo - Gholston's almight bust in year 1 probably hurt Orakpo as a prospect, funny how that can work out.

Honourable mention to Courtney Brown, I know next to nothing about him, but if you went 1st overall, you must have been a pretty damn good prospect.

DT

1. Glenn Dorsey - Was a massively touted prospect who has landed in a horrible situation.
2. Amobi Okoye - Was also very highly touted.
3. Vince Wilfork - Remember him being probably the highest rated NT that I have seen.
4. BJ Raji - Just edged out by Wilfork
5. Tommie Harris - Again, just remember him being highly rated.

There are probably some glaring omissions here but I just haven't really concentrated on DT as prospects in my time following at all and outside of Sapp, you hear more about busts at DT than anything which makes obtaining unbiased opinions on them hard.

LB

1. Patrick Willis - Was the elite of elite at the position.
2. Aaron Curry - Ditto, considered the complete package.
3. AJ Hawk - Was a beast of a prospect.
4. Lavar Arrington - You still hear stories of how good a prospect he was.
5. DeMarcus Ware - Was an elite OLB prospect, one of the first guys that lead the Rushbacker getting high grades movement.

CB

1. Terrence Newman - I know he was such a good prospect that he is still a borderline bust and he is a very good CB.
2. Pacman Jones - Was considered truly elite in a pretty solid group of CBs
3. Darelle Revis - I remember it being considered a free fall when he fell as far as he did.

Will do the rest later...

phlysac
12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Just a couple very minor nit-picks...

OG
Shawn Andrews was drafted 16th overall in 2004

CB
Darelle Revis - I remember it being considered a free fall when he fell as far as he did.
Being a Pitt homer, I remember than MANY believed Leon Hall to be the top CB in the 2007 draft.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Being a Pitt homer, I remember than MANY believed Leon Hall to be the top CB in the 2007 draft.

I remember people were shocked when I had Revis ranked higher. Not that Hall has been a slouch this year. He's probably a top 10 corner right now.

yourfavestoner
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
We're nearing the end of the 00's, so I figured you guys could come up with lists for the best Prospects of the Decade. I know these guys will be drafted in 2010 but.. we'll ignore that. Best Prospects from the 2000 Draft thru the 2010 Draft. Offensive, Defensive, Overall, by Position.. Top 5, Top 10, Top 20.. however you guys wanna do it. [b] Obviously, ignore how they did in the Pros.[b]

I didn't start following the draft closely until 2004 so I can't speak on the Drafts prior to that. Let's get some lists going!

Lots of revisionist history in this thread.

QB: (tie) Eli Manning, Carson Palmer
RB: Adrian Peterson
TE: Kellen Winslow
LT: Robert Gallery
G: Leonard Davis

DT: Gerrard Warren
OLB: Lavar Arrington
MLB: Patrick Willis
CB: Terrance Newman

AntoinCD
12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Personally I feel if you didn't go in the top 2 in your position in your own draft then you have no case on this list and I really only say that for the special situations where you have guys like Eli Manning being picked ahead of Rivers for his name as much as anything or the Raiders throwing out the order with guys like DHB.

I have only really followed since the 2004 draft and even then I really only started following passionately in 2005. With that said, anyone who makes my list from prior to that I know was a pretty special prospect because I have heard as much and there are some guys that I just don't know as prospects.

QB
1. Carson Palmer - I know was basically considered the perfect QB prospect.
2. Michael Vick - Outrageous athletic ability and a cannon. Also had a lot of hype.
3. JaMarcus Russell - The Cannon, good accuracy in college in a tough conference. Only knock was he was only a junior and some work ethic issues.-Only really went above Brady Quinn in a lot of people's minds after the Sugar bowl if I remember right.

4. Matthew Stafford - Was generally graded as a elite last year.
5. Phillip Rivers - The general consensus that I felt at the time was he was a better prospect than Eli. They are basically the 5/6 for me.

Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn were the guys who would have been elite if they had come out as juniors, but by going back were over analysed to the point that they fell as prospects and both probably would have made the list as juniors.

RB

1. LT - From what I hear was pretty much the perfect RB prospect.
2. AP - Outside of injury concerns and an overly upright running style and a lack of evidence regarding his receiving, was a pretty much perfect prospect. The injury concerns where huge at the time. I remember a lot of people having Marshawn Lynch over AD
3. RB - There were concerns if he could be an everydown back and about his size, but was still graded elite and had the media thing covered.
4. McFadden - Elite Speed, great stats, ran well. Didn't really have any knocks on him as a prospect.
5. Jamal Lewis - I'm guessing with his size/speed combo he would have been a pretty highly rated prospect. I don't know, but I can't see anyone else in the decade that was all that highly rated coming out, so I assume he must have been higher.

There really is a clear cut top 4 that I know of and I assume 5th, McGahee is the honourable mention because without blowing out his knee he would have been an elite rated back also.

WR

1. Calvin Johnson - Size, Hands, Speed, Highlight Reel, Sick nickname. Complete package.
2. Charles Rogers - Busted hard, but anyone who got picked over the prospect that was Andre Johnson is a hell of a prospect.
3. Andre Johnson - See Johnson description, minus the nickname.
4. Larry Fitzgerald - Size, Hands, Highlight reel, lacked the elite timed speed.
5. Braylon Edwards - Had it all coming out of college.

Mike Williams is probably the honorable mention here, had he not have been kept out of football for a year, I think he would have graded elite, basically a similar line to how Fitzgerald is above.

In general I would think of putting Crabtree in that list too, only late injuries and Al Davis caused him to fall

OT
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Was the highest rated OL guy that I have seen as a prospect.
2. Joe Thomas - A close second to Ferguson.
3. Robert Gallery - If Al Davis took him over some of the freaks in his draft, you know he was an elite prospect, I imagine he was a better prospect than my 1-2, but I just don't know for sure.
4. Jason Smith - Was considered an elite LT prospect last year.
5. Jake Long - Was considered an elite RT prospect but there were doubts on him at LT, which is why he falls.

Guys like Jake Long make up the rest of the list for me, guys who graded as elite RT prospects(Andre Smith for eg.) but not as LT, they lose points for being the lesser value position basically but may be better prospects.

OG

1. Steve Hutchinson - Guard taken with pick 17 says it all.
2. Davin Joseph - A monster prospect of a guard also. Again, first round status says the kind of prospect you are at guard.
3. Kendall Simmons - I'm basically grading on 1st round status now as he was before my time and I can't think of any guards that went as high as him.
4. Ben Grubbs - Was highly rated and highly picked from memory.
5. Logan Mankins - Was again a first rounder, which says a lot about a guard.

As a guard I would put Brandon Albert there as well as many experts saying he could go as high as 10 to the Pats as a guard.

OC

1. Nick Mangold - Was the highest rated center that I have seen, I can remember seeing him rated as the best OL in his draft, which given where D'Brickashaw ranked amongst OTs should say something. May be the best OL prospect I have seen, position aside.
2. Alex Mack - Was also pretty close to the perfect center.
3. Jeff Faine - I don't know a lot about him as a prospect other than that he was highly rated.
4. Chris Spencer - Was very highly rated in his draft.
5. Max Unger - Was rated very highly because of his versatility. I think he breaks my own top 2 rule though.

DE

1. Julius Peppers - The myth of how good he was as a prospect will haunt all future DEs.
2. Mario Williams - Except maybe this guy who was every bit his equal.
3. Dwight Freeney - Less than ideal size was all that stopped him being a scarier prospect than Peppers.
4. Vernon Gholston - There were concerns but he was graded elite.
5. Brian Orakpo - Gholston's almight bust in year 1 probably hurt Orakpo as a prospect, funny how that can work out.

Honourable mention to Courtney Brown, I know next to nothing about him, but if you went 1st overall, you must have been a pretty damn good prospect.

DT

1. Glenn Dorsey - Was a massively touted prospect who has landed in a horrible situation.
2. Amobi Okoye - Was also very highly touted. I always thought the biggest thing said about Okoye was that he was only 19 and he got overrated due to that
3. Vince Wilfork - Remember him being probably the highest rated NT that I have seen.
4. BJ Raji - Just edged out by Wilfork I would put Harris, Kevin Williams, John Henderson, Richard Seymour etc all above Raji
5. Tommie Harris - Again, just remember him being highly rated.

There are probably some glaring omissions here but I just haven't really concentrated on DT as prospects in my time following at all and outside of Sapp, you hear more about busts at DT than anything which makes obtaining unbiased opinions on them hard.

LB

1. Patrick Willis - Was the elite of elite at the position.
2. Aaron Curry - Ditto, considered the complete package.
3. AJ Hawk - Was a beast of a prospect.
4. Lavar Arrington - You still hear stories of how good a prospect he was.
5. DeMarcus Ware - Was an elite OLB prospect, one of the first guys that lead the Rushbacker getting high grades movement.

CB

1. Terrence Newman - I know he was such a good prospect that he is still a borderline bust and he is a very good CB.
2. Pacman Jones - Was considered truly elite in a pretty solid group of CBs
3. Darelle Revis - I remember it being considered a free fall when he fell as far as he did.

Will do the rest later...

A few of my responses to those but overall a pretty good list.

Ill do safety

1. Sean Taylor-As a prospect he had everything
2. Laron Landry-People fell in love with his measureables and hitting style. Always overrated IMO
3. Roy Williams-Another player who was overhyped and meant to come in and change the safety position
4. Troy Polamalu-Big things were predicted and a lot thought he slid at the time
5. Ed Reed-Lasted to 24 because the value of a great ballhawk wasn't as appreciated even if it was only 7 years ago

katnip
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
No one remembers people saying the bust Dewayne Robertson was supposed to be a Warren Sapp type player?

holt_bruce81
12-16-2009, 04:28 PM
QB- Mike Vick
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
OL: Robert Gallery
OL: Jake Long

DE: Julius Peppers
DT: Glenn Dorsey
DT: Ndamukong Suh
LB: Derrick Johnson
LB: Patrick Willis
LB: Lavar Arrington
CB: DeAngelo Hall
S: Laron Landry

wogitalia
12-16-2009, 11:39 PM

I remember that Hall got type cast into a "cover 2" guy because people had serious concerns about his speed, both timed and game. I liked both a lot as prospects, but remember Revis generally being ranked higher.

1. Sean Taylor-As a prospect he had everything
2. Laron Landry-People fell in love with his measureables and hitting style. Always overrated IMO
3. Roy Williams-Another player who was overhyped and meant to come in and change the safety position
4. Troy Polamalu-Big things were predicted and a lot thought he slid at the time
5. Ed Reed-Lasted to 24 because the value of a great ballhawk wasn't as appreciated even if it was only 7 years ago

Looks pretty much how mine would have, except I probably would had Huff in at 4 and Reed to 6th, he was a pretty damn good prospect, another "ruined" by the Raiders.

Only really went above Brady Quinn in a lot of people's minds after the Sugar bowl if I remember right.

Most people that I saw had him ahead of Quinn as a "prospect", a lot of people, me included, thought that Quinn would be better, but Russell had the IT factors as a prospect and Quinn got over analysed as a prospect. There were people who would argue that Russell was more athletic and a better runner despite no evidence to support it.

The injury concerns where huge at the time. I remember a lot of people having Marshawn Lynch over AD

I can't recall anyone who had Lynch as a better prospect, just a safer one and perhaps a better fit for some teams. Purely as a RB though, AP was scary from the time he was a freshman.

As a guard I would put Brandon Albert there as well as many experts saying he could go as high as 10 to the Pats as a guard.

I didn't include him as a guard because he was a tackle in the majority of opinions I saw, though as a guard he would certainly have been up there, it makes an interesting point though, how much consideration do you give to the OTs that people rate highly at LT but grade elite at RT or OG, does that in fact make them a better prospect than the very good LT, makes the whole OL grading on this difficult.

Whilst on Guards, completely missed Andrews, probably would be #2 on the list. Always someone who sneaks under the radar.

I always thought the biggest thing said about Okoye was that he was only 19 and he got overrated due to that

I remember that being a massive positive that boosted his stock, he may well have got overrated, but he was dominant at the senior bowl and then the combine and he had the whole 19 year old senior thing that just put him up a level.

I would put Harris, Kevin Williams, John Henderson, Richard Seymour etc all above Raji

Yeah, I figured a lot of those guys were big time prospects, a few other guys from earlier drafts also, but I just don't know about them and whenever you hear about DT prospects they are almost always compared to Sapp, so those guys get forgotten and if like me you weren't around back then all you can go on is what you hear. For instance I know that guys like Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow and Carson Palmer were special prospects because I hear it all the time. Thing with DTs is it seems you can always find a problem, they seem to bust a lot and you hear those things more than how good a prospect they were.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I remember that Hall got type cast into a "cover 2" guy because people had serious concerns about his speed, both timed and game. I liked both a lot as prospects, but remember Revis generally being ranked higher.

This definitely wasn't the case. Revis was a late riser who got some extra stock because of his punt return skills, but Hall was rated higher pretty much everywhere.

fischbowl
12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Since no one cares but me:

K: Sebastian Janikowski, Mike Nugent, Nate Kaeding
P: Dustin Colquitt, Shane Lechler, Dave Zastudil
LS: Ryan Pontbriand, Bryan Jennings, Jake Ingram

phlysac
12-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Those questioning his speed were erased with his combine performance. He ran a sub 4.4 40 and had some of the fastest 10-yard split and 3-cone times in Combine history.

Many claimed those times answered all of the critics questions and solidified Hall as the #1 CB.

SenorGato
12-17-2009, 08:17 PM
This definitely wasn't the case. Revis was a late riser who got some extra stock because of his punt return skills, but Hall was rated higher pretty much everywhere.

One of the posters on a Jets message board was raving about Revis in October before the '07 draft...he was pretty big there.

phlysac
12-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I feel that the majority of disagreement in this thread is just a matter of how the Topic question is being interpreted.

Many are basing their thoughts on specific talent evaluation and internet scouting, while others are basing it on an overall national media perspective.

billsfootball15
12-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Im just going to do this overall and not by position:
1. Mike Vick
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Julius Peppers
4. Carson Palmer
5. LaVar Arrington
6. Reggie Bush
7. Sean Taylor

just my opinion for overall hype about player in final year of college and pre draft talk. I feel with the exception of Sean Taylor, all of these guys have the potential to be #1 on the list.

WCH
12-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I keep records of this crap, and here are my top guys by position:

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Larry Johnson
FB: Nate Ilaoa (a swing and a miss!)
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
G: Branden Albert

DT: Amobi Okoye (he's STILL only 22 years old, and has three years of NFL starting experience)
OLB: Lavar Arrington

K: Sebastian Janikowski
P: Shane Lechler

If they weren't kickers, then Janikowski's off-field issues would have been enough to drop him below Mason Crosby, but I like a kicker who's willing to drink himself so ******** that he can't remember that field goal that he missed 35 seconds ago. A self-induced "short memory." Now THAT'S dedication to the game.

phlysac
12-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I keep records of this crap

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Larry Johnson
FB: Nate Ilaoa (a swing and a miss!)

What type of records would explain Aaron Rodgers as being a higher rated prospect than...

Michael Vick
David Carr
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers

Larry Johnson wasn't even the first RB taken in his draft class let alone him being ahead of the likes of...

LaDainian Tomlinson
Reggie Bush
Adrian Peterson

Nate Ilaoa ????? He was a 7th round pick!

WCH
12-18-2009, 10:43 PM
What type of records would explain Aaron Rodgers as being a higher rated prospect than...

Michael Vick
David Carr
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers

Rodgers could read a defense and throw an accurate pass. Rivers came in #2 in my list. Palmer was #3. Vick was never on my radar as an elite QB prospect, and never on my list of top NFL QBs. Neither was Carr. Those are guys who couldn't do one or both of the things that I mentioned. We can talk about sacks and legal troubles, but they were fundamentally lacking in the mission-critical-skills department.

Larry Johnson wasn't even the first RB taken in his draft class let alone him being ahead of the likes of...

LaDainian Tomlinson
Reggie Bush
Adrian Peterson

Run instincts. If he hadn't spent his first several years behind Holmes, while Holmes was setting records, then people would view him differently. I also had Tomlinson, and Peterson ranked highly.

Nate Ilaoa ????? He was a 7th round pick!
Good run instincts, good receiver, very experienced in pass protection, passable measurables. All he had to do was learn to lead-block, and not eat himself out of the NFL. Sometimes you think that players are willing/able to do things that they aren't. This is why teams interview prospects, which is a luxury that we don't have. ;)

Oh yeah, did I mentioned that I had Ilaoa was a fullback prospect, not a RB prospect? You can routinely pluck those guys in the later rounds, or as UDFAs. It's perhaps the least valued position in the entire Draft process. Look back at how low they're usually draft: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=RB&type=position

Shame on me for actually being honest about how I graded the players when they came out. Next time I'll try to use more revisionist history and second-hand analysis.

phlysac
12-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Shame on me for actually being honest about how I graded the players when they came out. Next time I'll try to use more revisionist history and second-hand analysis.

I applaud your honesty. I just questioned your reasoning. I apologize that you get upset when someone points out that you evaluated players extremely differently than NFL Player Personel people did.

Again, I respect your honesty. I answered this topic as who I believed had the most potential from a National perspective. You answered it based on your, personal rankings. I commend that. I believe Reggie Bush was the most highly-ranked prospect of the decade, yet my personal belief was that he wouldn't make it. He's actually been even more successful than I thought he would.

So, in final, the biggest difference is how we each interpreted the question.

cajuncorey
12-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Manny Lawson looked beast at 6'6 245 running 4.3 and having a 45 inch vert

Owen Schmitt broke atleast 5 defenders facemasks in college, as well he liked to bash his own head in. the kid is 6'3 260 and can hang clean 480 for 8 reps which is rediculous.

yourfavestoner
12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
In what universe was Rivers considered a better prospect than Manning? His awkward, sidearm delivery and lack of arm strength were both often mentioned negatives, whereas Eli had virtually no flaws to speak of whatsoever.

Were they both elite prospects? Yes. Was Eli a better one? Absolutely.

WCH
12-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I applaud your honesty. I just questioned your reasoning. I apologize that you get upset when someone points out that you evaluated players extremely differently than NFL Player Personel people did.

Again, I respect your honesty. I answered this topic as who I believed had the most potential from a National perspective. You answered it based on your, personal rankings. I commend that. I believe Reggie Bush was the most highly-ranked prospect of the decade, yet my personal belief was that he wouldn't make it. He's actually been even more successful than I thought he would.

So, in final, the biggest difference is how we each interpreted the question.
It's all good.

Bush is interesting to me because he's actually been what I thought he would be, only less dynamic. I was expecting a better version of Brian Westbrook, or maybe Eric Metcalf, and he's still come up a bit short, thus far.

It's a bit amazing that so many people were so wrong about him: he was being compared to Gale Sayers (!), by pro scouts. It looks like virtually all of us were wrong about him. Back in 2005, even his haters wouldn't have tried to tell you that he wouldn't have managed a 600 yard rushing season after four years in the NFL. Guys like Kevin Smith do better than that every season.

Bush is actually starting to look like the Tony Mandarich of skill-position players. There's just no reason that he shouldn't be a thousand yard rusher, at a minimum. He showed the talent in college; and he showed the athletic ability on film and at the combine. I guess that, sometimes, being a multimillionaire 20-something can distract you from other things?

I'm not saying that he's not a useful player, because he is, but it's starting to look mind-numbing that he was ever mentioned with the likes of Westbrook...never mind Sayers. I remember people predicting that he would bust, for various reasons (I wasn't one of them) and props to you guys. Seriously, nice work. ;)

WCH
12-20-2009, 12:59 AM
In what universe was Rivers considered a better prospect than Manning? His awkward, sidearm delivery and lack of arm strength were both often mentioned negatives, whereas Eli had virtually no flaws to speak of whatsoever.

Rivers, albeit side-armed, was a more accurate passer, had started more games, and their ability to read a defense was basically a wash, in my estimation. If you flip-flop their last name, then Eli becomes the #2 prospect behind Philip, IMO. But we're starting to split hairs, here. I don't think that either team is griping about their guy.

BuffaloBillsFan
12-20-2009, 01:44 AM
QB: Jay Cutler
HB: Adrian Peterson
FB: Toby Gerhart
OG: Branden Albert

43DE: Mario Williams
34DE: Richard Seymour
DT/NT: Haloti Ngata
43OLB: AJ Hawk
34OLB: Shawne Merriman
CB: Dominique-Rodgers Cromartie
FS: Troy Polamalu
SS: Sean Taylor

Caddy
12-20-2009, 06:46 AM
The thing I love the most in threads like this one is how it's so easy to forget that a lot of the players we now consider the 'greatest' prospects of the last 10 years, weren't actually that.

CC.SD
12-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Rivers was basically considered a 2nd round pick coming out of freaking NC state, until the Senior Bowl when the bolts gushed over him. To say he was an elite prospect is actually pushing it IMO. Not that I'm complaining.

katnip
12-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm guessing people already said Calvin Johnson.. ?