PDA

View Full Version : How good is Rolando McClain?

KCStud
12-10-2009, 01:08 AM
My Chiefs are projected to draft him and I think he is well experienced. Had a few questions about him though.

Does he take on blocks well?
How is he in coverage?
How is his tackling?

TACKLE
12-10-2009, 01:26 AM
He is very good. Physically he has it all. He's 6'4 255 and probably runs a 4.6. He's tough, aggressive and can shed blocks. He's also developed as a blitzer and is solid in coverage. He is a really complete LB and would probably be a real good fit as a ILB in the Chiefs 3-4. He would bring the kind of toughness that D is lacking.

Duffman57
12-10-2009, 02:12 AM
He is very good. Physically he has it all. He's 6'4 255 and probably runs a 4.6. He's tough, aggressive and can shed blocks. He's also developed as a blitzer and is solid in coverage. He is a really complete LB and would probably be a real good fit as a ILB in the Chiefs 3-4. He would bring the kind of toughness that D is lacking.

I see a young Brian Urlacher or another great bama ILB in DeMeco Ryans when i see him. Although he lacks elite agility, he is the leader on the field, he doesn't only know what he is doing, but he knows what everyone else is supposed to be doing too, he sees plays develop extremely quickly and is VERY good at shedding blocks. He is an ideal 3-4 Ted ILB and will be one of the best in the NFL some day, if not right away. He still needs to develop his coverage skills and blitzing a bit like stated above, but those areas are easily improved when you have a stud athlete like this guy. He is the real deal

thebow305
12-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Not sure I like the Urlacher and DeMeco Ryans comparisons. I think he's much tougher than the two of them and much more polished as a blitzer at this stage.

There aren't a lot of players like him, if any in the NFL right now so it's hard to make a comparison at the moment. But he is the most complete linebacker in this draft.

I like him MUCH better than Aaron Curry last year. Just a notch below Patrick Willis IMO. Would LOVE to have him in Miami!

FUNBUNCHER
12-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Not sure I like the Urlacher and DeMeco Ryans comparisons. I think he's much tougher than the two of them and much more polished as a blitzer at this stage.

There aren't a lot of players like him, if any in the NFL right now so it's hard to make a comparison at the moment.

How do you quantify 'toughness' to even make that statement??

Is he in the class of a Cornelius Bennett or Derrick Thomas as an Alabama prospect??
Granted, that's not a one to one comparison because McClain is an inside 'backer and those two were primarily edge rushing OLBs, I'm just trying to assess his value in the draft.

Is he even a top 10 pick??

fenikz
12-10-2009, 05:25 AM
good enough to smack yo momma

3-4 ILB comparison = Karlos Dansby

Scott Wright
12-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Rolando McClain is very good.

It's a pretty safe bet he'll be among my Top 5 players overall, regardless of position or class.

Iamcanadian
12-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I think he is at least a top 10 prospect which for an ILB is quite high. He'll be an impact player at the next level and whoever drafts him will be a solid defensive team for years to come.

Ozzy
12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Like all have said, he is great, and I think he is better than Patrick Willis was in college. Just a great player and potential pro bowler easily.

Splat
12-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Good enough that I would not only be ok with the Chiefs taking him but would love it.

Chris
12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Extremely talented player, I think he is the best linebacker in the whole country. Even though Williams and Davis are playing well for Denver, getting a stud like this in their 3-4 would be extremely wise. Here is to Chicago continuously losing so we can have a pick high enough to get him.

ElectricEye
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Like all have said, he is great, and I think he is better than Patrick Willis was in college. Just a great player and potential pro bowler easily.

I wouldn't say that, Willis was a machine, even in college.

McClain is very good. If I could cherry pick any player in the draft for the Patriots to have, it would be him. That won't happen anymore, but still. Very versatile skill set and he has the production and physical tools to back it up. He's at worst, a top fifteen pick. Probably will go top ten.

AgentM
12-10-2009, 10:44 AM
He sure would look good taking over for Farrior in the Steeler's defense, that much I know.

JFLO
12-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Rolando McClain is very good.

It's a pretty safe bet he'll be among my Top 5 players overall, regardless of position or class.

I haven't heard too many people naming him a Top 5 player, but I have him ranked #9 overall right now behind players like Derrick Morgan, Joe Haden and Russell Okung.

CC.SD
12-10-2009, 01:56 PM
He's srsly good k?

D-Unit
12-10-2009, 01:56 PM
With the way ILBs tend to always unexpectedly fall on draft day, what's the lowest you could see him falling?

gpngc
12-10-2009, 02:07 PM
He doesn't have the sideline-to-sideline range that some of these other crazy LBs had (Curry, Willis), but he's as good as anyone as the "quarterback of the defense" + he can tackle with anyone. He's VERY smart, has adequate quickness, and is always around the ball. The term "all-over-the-field" may not be as accurate in the NFL as it is in college for him because he doesn't have the extraordinary athletic ability of most NFL skill players. He's still a beast and one heck of a football player.

The thing about these can't-miss MLB prospects is that they rarely ever bust and usually end up meeting or exceeding expectations... (Vilma, Beason was OLB but same deal, Mayo, Willis, etc.)

I will be very surprised if McClain isn't one of the leading tacklers in the NFL next season.

Babylon
12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
With the way ILBs tend to always unexpectedly fall on draft day, what's the lowest you could see him falling?

I dont think it's a real deep year for LBs so he probably wouldnt fall very far. The group could have used Mark Herzlich to make it somewhat on the level of last year, which right now it isnt.

SenorGato
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Best LB prospect since Willis all of 3 drafts ago.

I like the Dansby comparison to a point. He's probably the 6'2/6'3 Dansby is rather than the 6'4 he's listed at too...

I'd say he's a top 20 pick, but he's one of the ten best players in this draft imo. It's just that he's a LB that'll have him fall, but even that could change.

vidae
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I've been watching some Alabama games and I'm impressed. I still think safety is a bigger need for the Chiefs, but if we came away from this next draft with McClain I wouldn't be upset at all.

Bengals78
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
He is this good: <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

JFLO
12-10-2009, 04:39 PM

I don't think he falls that far because his stock has been on an incline rather than decline all season long.

Players like Brandon Spikes, James Laurinaitis, Dan Connor, Rey Maualuga, they seem to hit their peak when they are juniors. There athleticism isn't going to get any better while their productivity is likely to either stay the same or go down.

Now, I'm not sure if McClain has hit his peak on total athleticism, but it seems that he is a lock for a Top 20 pick at this phase of the draft process.

P-L
12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I like him more than I liked Patrick Willis coming out.

LizardState
12-11-2009, 10:22 AM
As a hardcore Bama fan I've watched him for a long time now, as an ILB with sideline to sideline range & even blitzing responsibilities I like the Patrick Willis comparisons. Ryans as a Crimson Tide LB is a better college LB comparison as he is MLB for the Texans.

One of the intangibles he possesses is watching the QB's eyes & throws in coverage & getting a hand on balls in the air, he has deflected, batted or intercepted balls in almost every game I've watched -- he even deflected a Tebow 3rd down pass in the SECCG Saturday that stopped a 4th qtr. Gators drive. In college ball the short middle routes are almost always open, but McClain does a great job in shutting them down in Alabama games.

I have McClain going as high as the 2nd or 3rd pick in my mock to Cleveland, but since the Browns beat the lapsing Steelers Thurs. night for a 2-win rcd, maybe to Tampa or KC (that would vidae or splat very happy), any team that needs both run & pass defense help ASAP.

Brown Leader
12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Guess I'm the only one not in love with this guy. Looks like a slower, softer Karlos Dansby to me. That's still worthy of the 1st round and I wouldn't be upset if Browns picked him (not top 5), but I'm not gushing over the guy.

vidae
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
(that would vidae or splat very happy)

Safety is still a huge need but I think I've finally taken a sip of the koolaid and would prefer McClain over Berry. Don't let Splat know I said that though.

KaneMarko
12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
If the Chiefs end up with McClain, this Chiefs' fan is doing backflips on draft day. The kid is VERY good. Physically, it's all there. High character kid and has a high field IQ. Frequently you see the kid directing the ENTIRE Alabama defense. Not just the linemen or the other linebackers. But he controls the ENTIRE defense.

The ONLY thing I can complain about, and I admit I'm nitpicking, is that I wish he was a little bit more of an a--hole on the field. Sometimes I see him helping the opposition up and such. Not a fan of that. But again, that's nitpicking.

But the kid is the total package in my estimation.

For whatever reason, the Chiefs aren't allowing DJ much PT. Which leads me to believe DJ isn't a part of the Chiefs' future. That being the case, the Chiefs have only 1 legit starting LB that can been viewed as being a part of this team in the future (Vrabel is well into the twilight of his career). That being Tamba Hali. The guys we have out there at ILB right now are backups at best. So McClain has to be high on their list of picks for the first round. And if the Chiefs can land him, the defense gets better. The kid is VERY good.

KaneMarko
12-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Safety is still a huge need but I think I've finally taken a sip of the koolaid and would prefer McClain over Berry. Don't let Splat know I said that though.

I think safety is a huge issue too. McGraw and Mike Brown aren't starters. Berry is tempting. But I'd rather have McClain. Maybe we can get his teammate Justin Woodall later in the draft to play safety.

CC.SD
12-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I am not at all a fan of KC picking up a safety. With Page coming back it is a need, but not a ridiculous need for a team in need of some real blue chip building blocks. The idea that Berry is the best player in the draft, well that's probably true, but in terms of how a player can impact a football game I think a team in straits as dire as the Chiefs are needs to look for more. In a perfect world I think they draft McClain and stick him in the heart of their D for the next 10-15 years.

vidae
12-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I would have disagreed with you a few weeks ago but we have one starting caliber LB on our roster (Tamba Hali) and it is a pretty important position in the 3-4. I still think DJ could be a good ILB, but he probably won't be back next year, so McClain gets the nod over Berry for me now.

jimbo
12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
He will be an elite 3-4 ILB. I don't think he would be as good in a 4-3.

bigbuc
12-11-2009, 07:39 PM
He doesn't have the sideline-to-sideline range that some of these other crazy LBs had (Curry, Willis), but he's as good as anyone as the "quarterback of the defense" + he can tackle with anyone. He's VERY smart, has adequate quickness, and is always around the ball. The term "all-over-the-field" may not be as accurate in the NFL as it is in college for him because he doesn't have the extraordinary athletic ability of most NFL skill players. He's still a beast and one heck of a football player.

The thing about these can't-miss MLB prospects is that they rarely ever bust and usually end up meeting or exceeding expectations... (Vilma, Beason was OLB but same deal, Mayo, Willis, etc.)

I will be very surprised if McClain isn't one of the leading tacklers in the NFL next season.

I'm sorry I saw him in the SEC championship game run down Jeffery Demps who's a 100 meter guy on a quick sweep run to the left.