PDA

View Full Version : What will keep Ryan Matthews out of the 1st

foozball
12-12-2009, 03:45 AM
He's got size, speed, power, production...what's keeping him from getting more 1st round consideration?

Injury concerns?
1 year wonder?
Level of competition?
Lack of receptions?

FUNBUNCHER
12-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Timed speed and years of productivity.

Being selected in the 2nd - 3rd for a RB is no great shame anyway. In the modern NFL, there is no position with greater depth than RB. Guys can literally come in off off the street and be starting on Sunday.

Day One Pick
12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Running backs just aren't going off the board at a rapid pace lately. Look around the league at all the good, quality running backs there are already. I can assume that's going to automatically push down the positions value as a whole. It's simple supply and demand.

Now on to Mathews as a player. I think the biggest thing that will hurt Mathews is his level of competion. He's a good looking prospect with a lot to like and a lot of upside. You then have to look at the other RB's in this class. C.J. Spiller, Toby Gerhart, and then some potential underclassmen including; Jonathan Dwyer, Javid Best, and Joe McKnight. Depending on a given teams preference, I could see Mathews as right in the middle of this group. A lot will depend on how early the first RB goes off the board.

descendency
12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
It's kind of interesting, players that have short careers (RBs) are stocked in the NFL and players that have long careers (QBs, LTs, etc) are always in shortage.

wonderbredd24
12-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Questions regarding his durability

ElectricEye
12-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I really like Matthews. He probably isn't a first rounder, but he's a good solid, second round pick. He can do it against major conference talent as well, so it's not like he's just tearing up the WAC.

RealityCheck
12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Lack of teams needing a RB, durability concerns.

grushcow
12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Inability to be a 3 down player, average receiver and struggles with blitz pick up. Often overlooked but can really hold back some backs at the next level.

Thumper
12-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Injury issues. This guy is the real deal though and he will be a stud in the NFL if he can stay healthy.

tjsunstein
12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Value at the position, team needs.

12-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Reminds me of Huggy Bear (Justin Fargas). In a deep draft class this year he could fall all the way to the early third round. Some team is gonna love this guy because he's super productive, runs hard, outstanding vision, and has great character. Not much else you could ask for from a RB prospect. He'll never be a threat as a receiver, though I'm sure it's something he'll improve upon once he reaches the pros. He is also just as fast as Huggy Bear when he first entered the league.

bergo23
12-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I am hoping the Bolts take him in the second, after a road grader RT to clear the way for our next franchise RB. He will never be LT (people forget LT was sub 4.4 at the combine).

KingmanIII
12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I think the biggest thing that will hurt Mathews is his level of competion.
Mathews' career stats against 11 BCS conference teams and Boise State:

216 carries, 1196 yards (5.5370 average), 15 touchdowns.