PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Alualu

BigRob
12-12-2009, 10:00 AM
What can you guys tell me about him? 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE/DT? What round is it looking like for him? He just seems to me to have the perfect build for a 3-4 DE.

ElectricEye
12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I actually don't like his build for a 3-4 defensive end. He's not lengthy enough for my taste. He's an ultra productive player and he's already has experience playing the position, so he has that going for him. I would take him as early as the second round.

BigRob
12-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I actually don't like his build for a 3-4 defensive end. He's not lengthy enough for my taste. He's an ultra productive player and he's already has experience playing the position, so he has that going for him. I would take him as early as the second round.

He is a little short at 6-3, but I would be more concerned with his arm length. 6'3" v. 6'5 is not that big of a deal if he has long arms. I am more concerned with how he uses his hands and whether he could play 3-4 DE with his style of play. Thanks for the info on him.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't really think he's going to be a great option as a 5-tech in the NFL. Alualu's strength is his motor and leverage and I expect that he'll be mostly looked at as a rotational LE in a 43.

TACKLE
12-12-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't really think he's going to be a great option as a 5-tech in the NFL. Alualu's strength is his motor and leverage and I expect that he'll be mostly looked at as a rotational LE in a 43.

Really, LE in a 4-3. I know you've probably had a lot of opportunities to watch him but personally I think his best fit is as DT in a 4-3 whether that's as a NT or 3-tech. No player in this draft plays with better leverage than Alualu and he also very strong at the point of attack. I just son't see the athleticism for him to be a 4-3 DE though I agree with you that he's not a great fit as a 5-tech.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I just don't think he anchors well enough to make it as a DT in the NFL. He plays with great leverage, but he is more of a penetrator than someone who will hold down a lane (unlike former Cal lineman Brandon Mebane). He does use his hands well though and was quick enough to lead California in sacks this year (he had 7.5).

His lower body is immensely strong and he tips the scales around 290, but he saw a lot of time at DE for Cal because he could chip the TE, close the edge, and generate some pass rush. I think ultimately he's a rushing situation strongside end for a 43 defense (to begin with, anyway). Then again, if his upper body can handle more weight, then he could stick as an 3-tech somewhere, but it would have to be team like the Colts or something.

edit -

Check out this highlight to see what I'm talking about. He's a DE all the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72KQ_NzX8NU

Ozzy
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Good call, kid is a potential star, real standout from last season and he is playing even better this year. Outstanding young prospect and clearly is a DE all the way in a 3/4.