PDA

View Full Version : FCS/DI-AA prospects?

JhawkFitness
12-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I was watching the FCS semi-final playoff games this weekend and noticed some good football players on teams like Montana, Villanova, and Appy St.

I don't get to see a lot of those games over the season like I'm sure some others do.

Who are some of the better prospects at the FCS level?

Ones who stood out to me are;

Armanti Edwards, QB, ASU
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0902/ncf_g_edwards_195.jpg

Chase Reynolds, RB, UM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/a0/844/5a0844f0-bbb3-11de-9ebf-001cc4c03286.preview-300.jpg

Matt Sczzur*, WR, Nova
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2489042.jpeg
(only a JR)

billybeejr
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Isn't Edwards 5'11'' 175?

FUNBUNCHER
12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
First hurdle to clear will be height/weight/speed for all of them, then film.

There are pro prospects to be found in 1-AA and lower levels, however, almost every season.

derza222
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I can go into a little more detail on Szczur if need be, but to keep things simple he is kind of treated like Percy Harvin was at Florida, only at the FCS level. He returns kicks, is used in the Wildcat, catches passes, gets the ball occasionally on reverses and bubble screens. He was Villanova's most versatile offensive weapon and so they try to get the ball into his hands quite often in a variety of different ways. Won OPOTY in the CAA which seems to be pretty clearly the best conference at the FCS level by a long shot.

Doesn't have great size at around 5'11 and I would guess 185-190, or the strength of Harvin, but he does break tackles at this level when he gets a head of steam. If you watch him run the Wildcat it becomes pretty evident that when he hits a hole he has a good chance of getting through it for a big gain, but he won't push a pile any. In the open field he has pretty good moves which help him on returns and he seems to have break away speed on returns and in the open field on offense...but that is at the FCS level. Despite playing very good teams for that level in a strong conference, he has quite a jump to make.

As was previously said about all of these prospects but it definitely fits Szczur, speed will be a major factor. Not sure how he times or if he's more quick than fast but he can get away from people in a hurry in the open field, I could see him running somewhere between 4.45 and 4.55 but I'd guess somewhere in the low 4.5 range just because it's tough to judge against slower players. He's got the size and quickness to be a slot and special teams guy in the NFL so that should be sufficient, but he'll need to show speed as said and work on catching the ball in traffic (not something he's asked to do terribly often).

I'd say a lot of the same questions people had about Harvin could be asked of Szczur though he has been a WR his whole time here and will have level of competition questions...but he's always been the guy whose hands you want the ball in so he does it in a lot of ways that he probably won't in the NFL as he probably won't be a featured player. 'Nova runs a gadgety offense and doesn't throw the ball a whole lot with a ton of success (QB Chris Whitney is a great player and leader but not a tremendous thrower though he gets the job done and doesn't turn it over too much, I always think an FCS Tim Tebow when I watch him play). They run it a lot and get it to Szczur all over the place...when he's getting passes downfield he's generally open but has made some very nice catches as well. But as I said, it's nowhere near a pro style offense so figuring out a route tree and everything could be a major question. Blocking I'll be honest I haven't watched him do enough, but in a relatively run based offense I'm sure he is asked to block quite a bit.

Another factor is his potential baseball career. He was drafted by the Dodgers in I believe the 38th round out of high school and elected not to sign. One of the reasons he came to 'Nova was the coaches gave him the opportunity to play baseball and football. He led the team in batting average as a third baseman last year and should get drafted again this year...nobody is really sure what sport he will end up at or where he is leaning so that's a major question mark as well.

Overall though you're looking at a really versatile guy and a jack of all trades who is a great athlete for the FCS level...whether or not that translates is tough to say but he's fun to watch and he should definitely get a shot to try to make a team somewhere if he elects to take his shot with football.

As for some others, I think senior LB Osayi Osunde has a shot to be on a roster as a UDFA somewhere, we also have an OL whose name slips me who apparently is also getting looked at by the pros...Junior QB Chris Whitney is a physical guy who loves to block and at 6'2 230 could get a chance to make a transition to fullback...JR LB Terrell Thomas put up big numbers this year and is a good athlete for the level and at 230 also may get a UDFA shot next year...I love JR RB's Aaron Ball and Angelo Babbaro and both are explosive and talented for this level but I'm not sure they have the requisite size/speed to play in the NFL and being in a RBBC won't help their cause...A guy to watch for down the road IMO is SO CB James Pitts, the guy who got run over in the W&M game if anybody watched it and had to leave the game, but he's a playmaker who is always in on turnovers and has good size at 6' or just under along with nice athleticism, if he has the speed he'll be a guy to watch as well.

bored of education
12-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Big Vlad Ducasse from THE UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS! Some project him to play G at the next level but I think he could be a better RT than Loadholt.

RealityCheck
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Don't forget UMass guard Vladimir Ducasse. He's just as good as Iupati.

no bare feet
12-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Don't forget UMass guard Vladimir Ducasse. He's just as good as Iupati.

He played LT there.

underscore
12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Norfolk State WR Chris Bell (if he declares).

He was a stud D-1A recruit for Penn State, but had some off the field issues before being encouraged to transfer. He had an excellent season this year and has NFL size and speed.

RealityCheck
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
He played LT there.
But he projects as a NFL guard anyway.

derza222
12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
A non-homer guy I'd like to put out there is Holy Cross QB Dominic Randolph. He's been incredibly efficient this season and has some nice career numbers. Good enough arm to maybe be a backup in the NFL and a really nice decision maker. Amazing that a non-scholarship league like the Patriot League can have two NFL QB prospects (Fordham QB John Skelton is also highly regarded, I think Scott has him in the top 10 senior QB's).

phlysac
12-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Division II and "Homer"... but completely LEGIT

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/17/akwasiowusuansah.jpg
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah

Hines
12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Is it true that Owusu-Ansah isn't that fast?

bored of education
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
About .1 seconds less on the 40 than Frantz Joseph ;)

phlysac
12-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Fast enough to be the best coverage corner and return man in Div II.

I see him as a FS at the next level at the worst. If he runs a 4.4 he could definitely play CB.

12-15-2009, 09:25 PM
http://media.gatewaync.com/wsj/images/2009/11/12/hudgins.jpg

Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon

Elon's Terrell Hudgins Rewrites The NCAA Record Book: A LOOK AT TERRELL HUDGINS' RECORDS...NCAA Records - 207 - combined receptions in one season (FCS record with former teammate Michael Mayers in 2007) - 395 - career receptions (all NCAA Division I record) - 123 - receptions in a season (done in 2009; FCS record) - 8.8 - career receptions per game (FCS record) - 5,250 - career receiving yards (all NCAA Division I record) - 116.7 - career average yards gained receiving per game (FCS record) - 28 - career games gaining 100 or more yards receiving (all NCAA Division I record) - 1.2 - career touchdown passes caught per game (ties FCS record) - 34 - career games with a touchdown catch (FCS record) - 4 - career 1,000-yard receiving seasons (all NCAA Division I record)...SoCon Records: 10 - games in a season with 100 or more receiving yards (done in 2009) - 5 - consecutive games with 100 or more receiving yards (done once in 2006 and twice in 2009) - 2,538 - combined receiving yards in a season (with former teammate Michael Mayers in 2007) - 3 - career 200 or more receiving yard games (tied) - 52 - career receiving touchdowns - 1,633 - receiving yards in a season (done in 2009)...Elon Records: 16 - receptions in a game (vs. Liberty and at Furman in 2007; at Furman in 2009) - 4 - touchdown receptions in a game (vs. Liberty in 2007) - 18 - touchdown receptions in a season.

broncofan7
12-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Armanti Edwards will be nothing more than a wildcat/receiver in the NFL.

I really like Arthur Moats defensive end out of JMU, has a knack for getting to the quarterback. Should be a good fit for any 3-4 team looking for a rush linebacker. Could potentially go around the 6th or 7th round.

B-Dawk
12-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Szczur had a nice game last night, very versatile. if he can put up a respectable 40 time he should get a shot somewhere

Brent
12-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon
was he just the only target at Elon against bad competition? 207 receptions? jeebus

phlysac
12-19-2009, 10:18 AM
was he just the only target at Elon against bad competition? 207 receptions? jeebus

No, those were the most receptions in history by a WR duo.

in 2007 - Hudgins had 117, teammate Michael Mayers had 90.

wicket
12-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Szczur had a nice game last night, very versatile. if he can put up a respectable 40 time he should get a shot somewhere

doesnt really need a good 40 as a catcher

derza222
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
doesnt really need a good 40 as a catcher

For whatever reason I was under the impression that he plays third, looks like he's actually an outfielder though who catches some too...based on his comments last night though if he gets a good enough contract it does look like he'll elect to go with baseball after this coming season.

JhawkFitness
12-19-2009, 11:09 AM
For whatever reason I was under the impression that he plays third, looks like he's actually an outfielder though who catches some too...based on his comments last night though if he gets a good enough contract it does look like he'll elect to go with baseball after this coming season.

Probably a smart move, if he goes 6th round or up he'll probably get a lower 6-figure signing bonus at the least.

Philliez01
12-19-2009, 03:59 PM
He's a JR only and probably the only reason I'm posting this is because he's a friend of mine from my high school BUT:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZEX7oRr7a1c/SwC1iLalkJI/AAAAAAAALy8/ljHhrUjS4W0/s576/Cbarner033.jpg

Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova.

Pretty good athlete, quick for his size and a good blocker. Very smart guy too.

tolnaballa
12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Pat Paschall, RB, North Dakota State
6-1, 198
1397 yards on 207 attempts
6.7 ypc and 16 td's

Rushed for 146 on 21 carries against a Bowl Team in Iowa State.

First Team All American in 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_Qn4FCdE4

derza222
12-19-2009, 05:31 PM
He's a JR only and probably the only reason I'm posting this is because he's a friend of mine from my high school BUT:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZEX7oRr7a1c/SwC1iLalkJI/AAAAAAAALy8/ljHhrUjS4W0/s576/Cbarner033.jpg

Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova.

Pretty good athlete, quick for his size and a good blocker. Very smart guy too.

From everything I've read and heard, Ijalana is pretty highly thought of. I don't think you're giving him quite enough credit, he's a pretty solid player in his own right.

RealityCheck
12-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I do have Hudgins as one of my top sleepers. He's late 2nd-early 3rd talent imo.

Philliez01
12-19-2009, 05:46 PM
From everything I've read and heard, Ijalana is pretty highly thought of. I don't think you're giving him quite enough credit, he's a pretty solid player in his own right.

He does have a lot of accolades, I was just fearful of looking like a "homer" or something similar since I know him. Dude is an animal though, I'm pretty sure he's started every game of his college career since he was a true frosh. Great durability and when he was at RV, he was around 280-290 we heard. Now he's put on 30-40 pounds of muscle and even grew an inch. He's nearly as good as they come when it comes to FCS OL.

descendency
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Alex Carrington from Arkansas State (DE) and Austen Lane from Murray State (DE).

ElectricEye
12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
One of the ones who was intruiging the crap out of people at the start of the season was Kelton Tindal. Supposedly ran a hand timed 4.22 for scouts at a workout. Didn't do so well this season as I understand though. Plays in a funky offense and wasn't even the best receiver on his team this year. Don't think he's a draftable player, but he'll get a camp invite if he's that fast.

RealityCheck
12-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Alex Carrington from Arkansas State (DE) and Austen Lane from Murray State (DE).
Arkansas State is FBS.

broncofan7
12-20-2009, 08:21 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rW-OJ48AJBU/Rt1vqh0elZI/AAAAAAAACpQ/31G2TPGbN3E/s320/Skelton-duq.jpg

Jon Skelton, QB Fordham

He has great size at 6'5 and 256 pounds. He has a strong arm and very accurate. I believe during the combine he will be able to showcase his skills and fly up some draft boards. He could be a good developmental quarterback and I could see him going as early as the 4th round.

12-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I do have Hudgins as one of my top sleepers. He's late 2nd-early 3rd talent imo.

Could be a draftable prospect; 6th-7th round to UDFA.

drglas
12-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Appy State, Montana, and Villanova get mentioned, but where's the love for the William & Mary Tribe?

They played Villanova close in the semi-final game, and their only other losses on the season came against Villanova (a game where the Tribe was statistically superior) and Richmond (the 2008 National Champions) in a very close game.

W&M has several players who will be getting looks in the NFL.

1. Adrian Tracy, DE. Projects as an OLB, but is a solid athlete. One of the best defenders in the FCS this year playing for the best defense. Pro scouts attended most of his games, and he should be drafted.

2. Sean Lissemore, DT. Another solid defender with a good work ethic. May not be drafted but projects as a UDFA signing for sure.

3. RJ Archer, QB. Dark horse right here. Converted WR who only played QB for a season and a half. Very smart passer with a good knowledge of how the recieving game works. Very mobile, accurate, good arm. Has trouble with the deeper passes, but has a lot of potential if he sticks. UDFA signing again as well.

William & Mary seems to always get overlooked, despite a solid season with the top defense in the FCS. CB Derek Cox was a third round pick last year and is now starting for the Jaguars, and of course, S Darren Sharper is still one of the top defenders at his position. W&M produces some solid talent despite stringent academic requirements.

CAA in general is a great conference. Villanova will definitely send some great players this year, and Richmond, JMU, and Delaware have a couple of guys as well.

murdamal86
12-23-2009, 09:22 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rW-OJ48AJBU/Rt1vqh0elZI/AAAAAAAACpQ/31G2TPGbN3E/s320/Skelton-duq.jpg

Jon Skelton, QB Fordham

He has great size at 6'5 and 256 pounds. He has a strong arm and very accurate. I believe during the combine he will be able to showcase his skills and fly up some draft boards. He could be a good developmental quarterback and I could see him going as early as the 4th round.

I like him. Hopefully he has a good showing at the combine because down the road, he could be a starting NFL quarterback.

will99890
12-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Keep an eye out for Pat Simonds. WR from Colgate. Went to high school pretty close to me. 6'5" 210. Probably runs around a 4.5-4.65 but he's strong for his build and has great hands (returned punts for the last two years). Could be a solid possession guy.

Just noticed in Scott's rankings that he is 6'6" 223. I think those might be a little overestimated but he still has great size regardless.

Hines
12-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Appy State, Montana, and Villanova get mentioned, but where's the love for the William & Mary Tribe?

They played Villanova close in the semi-final game, and their only other losses on the season came against Villanova (a game where the Tribe was statistically superior) and Richmond (the 2008 National Champions) in a very close game.

W&M has several players who will be getting looks in the NFL.

1. Adrian Tracy, DE. Projects as an OLB, but is a solid athlete. One of the best defenders in the FCS this year playing for the best defense. Pro scouts attended most of his games, and he should be drafted.

2. Sean Lissemore, DT. Another solid defender with a good work ethic. May not be drafted but projects as a UDFA signing for sure.

3. RJ Archer, QB. Dark horse right here. Converted WR who only played QB for a season and a half. Very smart passer with a good knowledge of how the recieving game works. Very mobile, accurate, good arm. Has trouble with the deeper passes, but has a lot of potential if he sticks. UDFA signing again as well.

William & Mary seems to always get overlooked, despite a solid season with the top defense in the FCS. CB Derek Cox was a third round pick last year and is now starting for the Jaguars, and of course, S Darren Sharper is still one of the top defenders at his position. W&M produces some solid talent despite stringent academic requirements.

CAA in general is a great conference. Villanova will definitely send some great players this year, and Richmond, JMU, and Delaware have a couple of guys as well.

Mike Tomlin also went there.

JLaw45
12-24-2009, 03:18 AM
My team played Holy Cross this year and so I got to get familiar with Dominic Randolph live. The guy came in and played as advertised. The only reason he didn't throw up 500 on us was because his team ran more than they usually do(our run defense was not great this season) and took some pressure off of him.

If I'm not mistaken, up until this game(just past the halfway point of the season) he was also the teams leading rusher.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Haven't seen much of the smaller school prospects play, one prospect I have seen multiple times is Curtis Pulley from Florida A&M. He was a former Mr. Kentucky and held the starting qb job for UK before losing it to Andre Woodson. I think his real position will be WR though which he play part time at UK. With 6'4 205lbs size to go along with 4.5 speed and a 36 inch vertical I see him as a better prospect then Armanti Edwards at WR. He does have a misdemeanor count of marijuana possession.

nofalcons10
01-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Keep an eye out for Pat Simonds. WR from Colgate. Went to high school pretty close to me. 6'5" 210. Probably runs around a 4.5-4.65 but he's strong for his build and has great hands (returned punts for the last two years). Could be a solid possession guy.

Just noticed in Scott's rankings that he is 6'6" 223. I think those might be a little overestimated but he still has great size regardless.

here's a brief video highlight of pat simonds.

http://news10now.com/watertown-north-news-1052-content/sports/sports_news/487717/raiders-finish-with-win

his height and size are legit.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3643714.jpeg

he's a small schooler like marques colston and miles austin. if the saints were to get him i hope that he can run routes better than ramses barden.

his skills will be on display at the east-west shrine game.