PDA

View Full Version : Darren McFadden

The Legend
12-14-2009, 07:15 PM
So what do you guys think about this kid? Just barley averaging 3 yards. I know he doesn't have any help at all on the offense, but do you guys ever think he will become anything? Should the Raiders trade him? How much could they even get for him?

In almost 30 games he has rushed over a 100 yards once, and 50 yards twice.

Splat
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm not ready to give up on him he might not ever live up to the hype but I still feel he will end up having a solid career.

Paranoidmoonduck
Why would you ask this right after he put up 95 total yards on the Redskins?

senormysterioso
So what do you guys think about this kid? Just barley averaging 3 yards. I know he doesn't have any help at all on the offense, but do you guys ever think he will become anything? Should the Raiders trade him? How much could they even get for him?

In almost 30 games he has rushed over a 100 yards once, and 50 yards twice.

I think he's on a Cedric Benson sort of career track. He's got talent

Hurricanes25
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
He may never become a great RB but I think he can become a weapon in the passing game coming out of the backfield.

fenikz
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
tell oakland to get a o-line

The Legend
12-14-2009, 07:21 PM

He had one nice catch for 50 yards. And averaged 2 yards a carry for 20 yards. He hasn't gone over 25 yards in 11 weeks.

wonderbredd24
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Darren McFadden has never looked like Darren McFadden since coming into the league.

He looks like Ki-Jana Carter after all his knee injuries when he came back with the Saints briefly... just a shell of himself.

Maybe people were onto something with his little legs

Paranoidmoonduck
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
He had one nice catch for 50 yards. And averaged 2 yards a carry for 20 yards. He hasn't gone over 25 yards in 11 weeks.

More accurately, he torched LaRon Landry twice in the first quarter for a total of 74 yards.

My point is that he's been battling injuries since last year and just made his first semi-healthy start in a long while and all he did was be Oakland's best offensive producer on the day. Oakland's offense in the second worst in the NFL. Were you expecting him to rush for 100?

The Legend
12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
More accurately, he torched LaRon Landry twice in the first quarter for a total of 74 yards.

My point is that he's been battling injuries since last year and just made his first semi-healthy start in a long while and all he did was be Oakland's best offensive producer on the day. Oakland's offense in the second worst in the NFL. Were you expecting him to rush for 100?

No, I just don't believe he will ever be able to succeed in the Raiders offense.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-14-2009, 07:30 PM
No, I just don't believe he will ever be able to succeed in the Raiders offense.

The way it is now? With JaMarcus Russell leading it? No argument there. I don't believe anyone will be able to succeed in that offense.

The Legend
12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
The way it is now? With JaMarcus Russell leading it? No argument there. I don't believe anyone will be able to succeed in that offense.

It comes down to more then that. No offensive line, no wide receivers, no quarterback, and no other offensive talent after Zach Miller. The play calling is horrible too. I believe he has to find a way out of there. Getting hit before you get the ball every play isn't going to help his injury history, which is going to lead to him never becoming anybody.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Right. But what is the point of this thread?

To discuss how talented players on hopeless teams don't produce like we were expecting? What a shock. Furthermore, what was everyone expecting from McFadden anyhow? It wasn't like we all couldn't see he wasn't a powerback coming out of Arkansas. It wasn't like it wasn't fairly clear that he needed to be a successful zone-blocking rush system to maximize his potential as a runner.

Moreover, here are his career numbers...

10 starts, 239 touches, 1225 yards, 5.1 YPT, 5 TD

and here are Michael Bush's career numbers...

7 starts, 213 touches, 1052 yards, 4.9 YPT, 5 TD

and here are Justin Fargas' number the last two years...

17 starts, 371 touches, 1501 yards, 4.0 YPT, 4 TD

Based on that, besides for injuries, I don't see anyway you can't conclude that McFadden hasn't been Oakland's most productive tailback. So what's the point of this thread?

Babylon
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
McFadden, Russell, DHB.....who's doing the drafting there?

tjsunstein
12-14-2009, 08:12 PM
McFadden, Russell, DHB.....who's doing the drafting there?

Just wait until next year. They're going to finally get the last piece to the puzzle.

msolimani
12-14-2009, 08:21 PM
As far as I'm concerned the Cowboys might've had the Super Bowl winning triplets, but the Raiders have themselves something special. They have the NFL combine winning triplets, you tell me whats better...

EvilNixon
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
He's running behind a porous line. He'll be fine when the talent matches the solid coaching on the line.

jkpigskin
12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
i was in complete agreement with mike mayocks assessment on mcfadden of his lack of strength and he has done NOTHING to prove otherwise... i dont think ive ever seen him break a tackle. He gets dropped with arm tackles. His big games have been when the the wholes have been massive and he can just use his speed, but this league aint just about speed.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-14-2009, 08:56 PM
McFadden's game was always getting to the second level and controlling angles and using his stiff-arm to keep defenders off (which still work, ask LaRon Landry). Didn't take a genius to know that if the offensive line couldn't get McFadden to the second level he wasn't going to morph into a steamroller.

cvv84
12-14-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm not buying the whole blame the offensive line theory. I mean the Packers offensive line isn't the greatest yet Ryan Grant is doing pretty good. It just seems like the Raiders draft picks take a few years to develop, i.e. Robert Gallery, Nnamdi Asomugha, and Michael Huff. When you look at it too the Raiders are actually pretty good at finding talent minus the 1st round. Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Trevor Scott, Zach Miller, Louis Murphy, and Chaz Schilens are guys I wouldn't mind on my team. If I were the Raiders I'd trade out of the 1st round every year until Al Davis dies.

Saints-Tigers
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Runningbacks are as good as their O-line allows them to be. Doesn't matter how special a back is, if he's constantly getting hit before his feet can really get going, he'll look mediocre.

Injuries aren't helping either.

RaiderNation
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
We arent using him right. He isnt a dive RB, we need to use him on runs off tackle. He has looked good at WR too. Id love to get the QB coach from Miami and have him as our OC. We need to use the wildcat alot more.

vikes_28
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I think he needs a better team to play on.

Shiver
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I think McFadden was a product of the "Wildhog" offense. In fact, it was the Razorback's scheme that inspired the NFL to pick it up and use it in sub-packages. It was in that scheme that played to McFadden's strength as a runner.

This begs the question: would it be smart for Oakland to scrap the passing attack at the moment (or lack thereof) and go with a scheme that plays to their personnel? I think so, but Al Davis would never abandon the "vertical passing attack."

Paranoidmoonduck
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
We arent using him right. He isnt a dive RB, we need to use him on runs off tackle. He has looked good at WR too. Id love to get the QB coach from Miami and have him as our OC. We need to use the wildcat alot more.

There's plenty of 3 and 4 holes running plays that McFadden had success running last year. Problem is, the offensive line isn't up blocking them this time around.

D-Unit
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
He's got the chicken leg syndrome. Just like Reggie Bush. He's not done, but he can only run specific types of plays. Pair him with Toby Gerhart and Oakland will have a great running attack.

21ST
12-14-2009, 09:44 PM

he got most of them on sorry ass laron landry

Stash
12-14-2009, 10:47 PM
I'd say McFadden's disappointing start is a combination of a few things that have been mentioned. The Raiders line hasn't blocked as well this year, he was hurt a lot the previous year, and they haven't exactly used him right either. But to me the bigger problem is they just aren't using him enough. He's getting less than 10 carries a game and around 2 catches a game this season. It's just plain stupid not to put the ball in the hands of your most explosive/dynamic player more than that. Then again, when Russell is your QB and your splitting time with 2 other backs, touches can be hard to come by.

Saints-Tigers
12-14-2009, 11:50 PM
There's plenty of 3 and 4 holes running plays that McFadden had success running last year. Problem is, the offensive line isn't up blocking them this time around.

No one will listen, once they decide a player can't "run between the tackles" they'll parrot that over and over.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I'd say McFadden's disappointing start is a combination of a few things that have been mentioned. The Raiders line hasn't blocked as well this year, he was hurt a lot the previous year, and they haven't exactly used him right either. But to me the bigger problem is they just aren't using him enough. He's getting less than 10 carries a game and around 2 catches a game this season. It's just plain stupid not to put the ball in the hands of your most explosive/dynamic player more than that. Then again, when Russell is your QB and your splitting time with 2 other backs, touches can be hard to come by.

McFadden's been hurt this year too though. Trust me, I want them to use him more too, but the game yesterday was apparently the first game where he's been healthy enough to be used as he was.

With the quarterback situation in shambles, it'll be interesting to see how the team uses McFadden in the next three games.

No one will listen, once they decide a player can't "run between the tackles" they'll parrot that over and over.

I guess you have some experience in that, huh?

FUNBUNCHER
12-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Don't be fooled, McFadden by far is Oakland's best RB, but if he doesn't get 20+ carries/game, he'll never flash.

He's the second coming of OJ Simpson but DMC needs to carry the rock fulltime, not in a platoon type situation.

He's still the same prospect he was coming out of Arkansas IMO, he just needs to get fully healthy.

Saints-Tigers
12-15-2009, 03:44 AM
McFadden's been hurt this year too though. Trust me, I want them to use him more too, but the game yesterday was apparently the first game where he's been healthy enough to be used as he was.

With the quarterback situation in shambles, it'll be interesting to see how the team uses McFadden in the next three games.

I guess you have some experience in that, huh?

It's just the way it is. I said that Benson would look nice in a better situation for a long while, and everyone was like BUSTTTTTT

It's hard to hit homerun plays when you get 2-5 carries and establish 0 rhythm.

Rosebud
12-15-2009, 04:08 AM
I thought that he could be better than AD when he was a prospect. He still has that explosiveness, balance and foot speed. I haven't watched oakland enough to know what's going wrong but until he no longer has those tools I'm not ready to say he's done. That said if oakland wants to ship him out I'd love to have him in a giants uni. Jacobs, Bradshaw, Run DMC and Brown? Viktoriezzz!!

EvilNixon
12-15-2009, 08:00 AM
We need better interior line play. DMC is a willing inside runner,and will stick his head down and churn,but he's usually just running into a brick wall because Satele,*random RG* aren't getting any push. Gallery's been good,and Henderson is ok,but without good interior line play,he'll continue to look bad.

wogitalia
12-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Run DMC reminds me in ways of Chris Johnson in his running, the major difference is that CJ has the elite line that gets him to the 2nd level and DMC doesn't. If he gets 20 carries and gets a hole on 15 of them, he will put up close to 100 yards and at least one big play.

Of course the other big problem is that he can't stay healthy, a lot of questionable injuries, the kind that you question how much the player really wants to be out there and to be honest, who would blame him for doing his time and getting out of a bad situation. Certainly has the Ced Benson or Thomas Jones, blow up when you get a chance in a decent situation vibe going.

jriles0522
12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
All this stuff about o-line I mean come on. Maybe it is a factor, but it doesn't mean the guy shouldn't make a big play every now and then.

Don't tell me that if CJ and DMC switched teams they would have similar production.

I mean who blocks for Steven Jackson? Even Jamaal Charles busts some big runs and the Chiefs line is terrible. Both teams are not a pass threat either.

The 49ers have put frank gore over 1,000 3 years in a row, and they don't have a good line. Alex Smith/Shaun Hill don't take pressure off.

Even Fred Jackson and Lynch have a game every now and then.

DMC is busted. He's a wuss.

RealityCheck
12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
No. He'll have a breakthrough season next year or the following. Just wait.

vidae
12-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Of course he's not done. He's in his second year as a professional player. Some people need to temper expectations, especially based on the team he's on. He's not going to dominate the league running behind that OL or with that offense, but give the kid time.

People are too quick to call someone a bust.

AJHawk50
12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
No I wouldn't consider him done. Way too early in his career and its not like he's the worst in the league or anything up til this point.

umphrey
12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
He'll do really well once he goes to another team and splits carries. I envision him averaging 12 carries at 5.5 YPC and 40 yards receiving if he played for Dallas or New Orleans instead of F Jones, Bush.

E-Man
12-17-2009, 02:33 PM

I was thinking this, but I was wanting a Raider fan to confirm since we don't get many Raider games here. It seems like they just don't use him enough. If he was getting a substantial amount of carries then I'd wonder if he's a bust, but it seems like he's stuck in a terrible offense that doesn't even use him. As was posted earlier, he's averaging more yards per carry than the other two Oakland backs. For whatever reason he's just not being given the ball. I figured they would force feed him the ball because of his huge draft status and contract, but that's not the case for some reason.

HawkeyeFan
12-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Trade him to the Lou, let him back Steven Jackson up! I promise I won't complain.

katnip
12-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I voted yes. I can't/don't watch many Raiders games.. But he doesn't seem too agile to make open field moves to me

Oh wait.. didn't see the trade option. As I'll admit I've never seen the o-line block good enuff out in Raider land

12-21-2009, 11:59 AM
McFadden will be a good back in my book once he sheds himself of his 'fumblitis'. Until then he can be productive (like in yesterday's game) and it's not going to mean very much if he's going to make that one costly turnover that almost costs his team the game.

The run blocking on this team has certainly improved greatly over the course of the last few weeks, but so has McFadden's health. In reality he hasn't been completely healthy since the first quarter of his rookie year. The player you saw yesterday and who you'll see in the final two weeks of the season is a better indication of what to expect from him in the coming years. A guy who'll be the lightning to another guy's thunder (Michael Bush) who'll find a way to make explosive plays that can shift the momentum of the game in his team's favor with his 15-20 touches a games.

SwagU
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I think with the acquisition of a LT in the offseason Bush and DMC will both have big years for the Raiders next season.