PDA

View Full Version : Will Ryan Mallett pull a Mark Sanchez?

RochesterRox19
12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Last season, Sam Bradford was expected to go into the draft (or at the very least, more people thought he'd come out than didn't). He was considered a much more finished prospect than Mark Sanchez. Yet, it was Mark Sanchez who made the jump. Bradford's decision to stay in school probably was a factor in his decision to come out.

With Jake Locker deciding to stay in school, that leaves Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford as the two "premier" QB's in the draft. However, as Scott pointed out, there's a LOT of teams with needs at QB.

Now that Locker is out of the picture, do you think Mallett will take advantage of the QB "supply/demand" issue, if you will? Would he be wise or dumb to do so?

Babylon
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Last season, Sam Bradford was expected to go into the draft (or at the very least, more people thought he'd come out than didn't). He was considered a much more finished prospect than Mark Sanchez. Yet, it was Mark Sanchez who made the jump. Bradford's decision to stay in school probably was a factor in his decision to come out.

With Jake Locker deciding to stay in school, that leaves Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford as the two "premier" QB's in the draft. However, as Scott pointed out, there's a LOT of teams with needs at QB.

Now that Locker is out of the picture, do you think Mallett will take advantage of the QB "supply/demand" issue, if you will? Would he be wise or dumb to do so?

First off let's get off this thing that a guy is dumb if he does A or B. Having said that i would question whether Bradford coming out of a spread offense as a redshirt soph was more ready than Sanchez even though Sam had more starts.

To me Mallett needs another year to be a complete QB, similar situation i think to Locker in terms of throwing% and his supporting cast. I think because of limited mobility he may not be chosen as high as some think if he does come out this year but another year may help his game as a whole.

ElectricEye
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Mallet is a cut and dry case of a guy than needs another year. His numbers look better than they actually are playing in Petrino's offense. He has some real, major flaws in his game that need to be corrected before he's ready for the NFL. He would probably be a first round pick at this point with Locker staying, but to me, I think he needs more time.

brat316
12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I still think Sam Bradford will suck. We always talk about system Qbs, yet it seems like Sam almost gets a pass just because of his arm.

princefielder28
12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
If Mallett wants to get paid then it's a great time to go

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Say a team like Minnesota or Seattle took a flyer on Mallett in round 1? Let him sit for awhile, say a season or more, learn from Favre or Hasselback during that time. Would this be the ideal situation if Mallett goes into this draft?

RochesterRox19
12-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Say a team like Minnesota or Seattle took a flyer on Mallett in round 1? Let him sit for awhile, say a season or more, learn from Favre or Hasselback during that time. Would this be the ideal situation if Mallett goes into this draft?

Ah, drafting a QB who isn't quite a finished product yet and having him sit a year learning from a vet. This is a dying art. But to answer your question, I think this is the ideal situation.

Seriously though, to people who say Mallett needs "another year", why can't that year be spent training in a pro camp?

AntoinCD
12-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I think Mallett should stay for another year an develop his skills. Unless he really thinks he can go top 15 or if he is really worried of a rookie wage scale then I don't see the downside in staying. Why not stay another year, possibly challenge Locker for the top overall QB and then if needed sit another year in the pros. The percentage of bust QBs who were juniors is far higher than seniors

Babylon
12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Ah, drafting a QB who isn't quite a finished product yet and having him sit a year learning from a vet. This is a dying art. But to answer your question, I think this is the ideal situation.

Seriously though, to people who say Mallett needs "another year", why can't that year be spent training in a pro camp?

I dont think a team like Seattle can invest a 1st round draft choice and have a guy sit for a year or two, they probably would have done it with Locker but i dont think Mallett has Jake's potential (my take).

As for having a year as a backup in the pros being equal to playing every saturday against SEC competition i think you learn a heck of a lot more doing the latter.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I dont think a team like Seattle can invest a 1st round draft choice and have a guy sit for a year or two, they probably would have done it with Locker but i dont think Mallett has Jake's potential (my take).

As for having a year as a backup in the pros being equal to playing every saturday against SEC competition i think you learn a heck of a lot more doing the latter.

Why would Seattle be able to do this with Locker but not Mallett?

Scotty D
12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
He should come out, he's a beast. I knew it since I watched him his freshman year at Michigan.

Babylon
12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Why would Seattle be able to do this with Locker but not Mallett?

If you're going to take an underclass QB to sit for a year or two to me it makes more sense to go with the local hero who in my opinion has a much bigger upside than a Ryan Mallett.

Don Vito
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
He definitely would benefit from another year, but this year he looked nothing like the train wreck he was at Michigan. His receivers really sucked when it came to drops this year, I thought they had a nice young group but DJ Williams was the only sure handed bet for Mallett. He has a ton of talent and should stay another year, pretty much every Arky offensive player is returning. If they work hard and get used to his lasers, Mallett and that offense could do big things.

ThePudge
12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
He doesn't have as many "serious" flaws as some here are letting on and it makes you wonder if people here are watching games or looking at numbers, reading what others here say, and forming an "opinion" based off that. My bet would be the latter.

Personally I think Ryan Mallett could have given Jake Locker a real run this season to be the first QB selected. A high first round talent that some are really sleeping on here. A Top 15 selection this year, perhaps #1 in 2011 (Sorry Locker fans). haha You had to know there couldn't a Ryan Mallett discussion without me throwing my hat into the ring.

A piece I wrote on him in my last board...

- Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett is not a finished product, and no one is under the impression that he is. He needs to improve his accuracy and consistency, as well as footwork in and outside the pocket. To fully complete his development, Mallett needs to become more of a quarterback than a ball-thrower. He needs to be able to command his team in the huddle and he needs to emerge as a true team leader.

With that all said, he has unbelievable natural tools. He has one of the strongest arms I've ever seen in football. The zip this guy puts on deep outs and passes over 40 yards is unreal. He has tremendous size, standing well over 6'6 and weighing in at over 235 pounds. He shows poise, accuracy on his intermediate-deep routes, and the ability to put the ball 70+ yards downfield or squeeze a ball into the tightest spots. He also protects the ball remarkably well for his aggressive style (4 interceptions). Athletically, he's more similar to JaMarcus Russell coming out of LSU than Andrew Walter out of ASU. He definitely shows the ability to move and to pick up yards with his legs, but like Russell, he lacks development of footwork in and outside the pocket.

There's just simply too much natural talent and ability there to overlook Mallett as a serious NFL prospect. In the beginning of the season Mallett was unproven and extremely raw, but he's settled in at Arkansas, looks a lot more comfortable, and has improved his game a startling amount. He's not anywhere near complete, in fact, of any Top Three Round QB prospect this year, he probably has the furthest to go as well as overall development. Still, God has given him the most natural talent of the bunch, and of just about all of recent QB prospects. If Ryan Mallett makes the move to come out this year, he's likely to find a way into the Top 15-20. If he stays, he's the frontrunner for the #1 pick in 2011.

After MSU...

Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett completed 18 of 34 passes for 310 yards 5 Touchdowns and 2 Interceptions in a 42-21 win over Mississippi State. Some may gripe about his 53% completion percentage on the day, and two interceptions, but I’m willing to bet people didn’t watch every pass Mallett threw on Saturday. I’m happy to say I did. While his shortcomings were evident at times, he showed a remarkable amount of improvement and displayed a little of everything against the Bulldogs. Mallett went up top, put balls over his receivers shoulder, and scored. Mallett surveyed the field, checked down, and scored. Mallett rolled out of the pocket, bought time with his feet, threw across his body, and scored. I’m more confident than ever that he can make all of the throws JaMarcus Russell could coming out of LSU, perhaps more. He has a beautiful play-action fake and throws a near immaculate deep ball. All day he did what the Razorbacks coaches and his teammates needed him to do.

For a guy who doesn’t get much credit for intangibles, he’s incredibly poised and doesn’t get rattled easily. He went 3/3 in the redzone, including two Td passes. Both times he forced passes into tight spots and ended up getting picked off, he led his team back. I haven’t seen Mallett rattled and he’s absolutely scary when he gets in a rhythm. He seems to be a fine teammate as well and you can tell his line & receivers rally around him and feed off his presence. He seems to be clearing up a lot of misconceptions about himself as a player and person every week. I wrote above in my initial thoughts that Mallett remained more of a ball-thrower than a quarterback, and I think I may be eating some crow already as he has some innate QB skills. He surveys the defense, makes good pre-snap reads, and goes through his progressions quickly, not taking the amount of sacks and hits you’d expect behind a very average offensive line. Mechanically, his release is quick, high, and he throws a very pretty ball. His accuracy is one of his stronger points as he can put the ball in the tightest spots, almost always gives his receivers a chance to catch the ball with his location, and shows the ability to time his receivers very well coming out of breaks and running full stride.

Mallett still showed some drawbacks as a prospect, not everything was perfect. His footwork in the pocket remains average, more inconsistent than anything, and out of the pocket he looks significantly more comfortable moving out to his right and throwing the ball than he does to his left. He’s still getting a lot of balls dropped and a big part of it is how hard he throws the ball on short to intermediate routes. He needs to find some touch on those passes, especially over the middle of the field, if he wants to be a complete player. That kind of thing will get him into some trouble at the next level.

Man, what a prospect though. I tried to go out on a limb in my original post, mentioning Mallett as a potential Top 15 pick this year. I really don’t consider that going out on a limb anymore. So how’s this, if Mallett declares in 2010, he will be a Top 10 pick and is going to have a better chance than some think at being the first Quarterback off the board.

I feel the performance against LSU didn't change my opinion on him at all, but rather reinforced a lot of the things I saw in him both flaws and strengths.

He's a very legitimate prospect with a chance to make a lot of money this year or next.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Any idea who would be working with Mallett now that Paul Petrino is gone?

ThePudge
12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
If you're going to take an underclass QB to sit for a year or two to me it makes more sense to go with the local hero who in my opinion has a much bigger upside than a Ryan Mallett.

How could any QB possibly have a much bigger upside than Ryan Mallett? Do you think mobility outside the pocket is that important? Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, and Phillip Rivers have had most of their success inside it.

Some act like Mallett's a statue and act as if he has no game throwing on the run or reading defenses from outside the pocket.

superman8456
12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
You're always going to benefit with more experience. Period.

It doesnt matter if he gets that experience over another college football season or in an NFL training camp. Personally, I think he should go pro.

He has everything necessary to be a top QB in the NFL, and I think he has very few flaws.

Babylon
12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
How could any QB possibly have a much bigger upside than Ryan Mallett? Do you think mobility outside the pocket is that important? Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, and Phillip Rivers have had most of their success inside it.

Some act like Mallett's a statue and act as if he has no game throwing on the run or reading defenses from outside the pocket.

If he's in a class with Rivers, Mannings et all then mobility isnt an issue, i havent seen enough yet that makes me think he is.

As for Locker i think he has what Mallett offers plus much better escapability and to me is more of a leader. I know you like Mallett and i wish him the best, he could be the #1 pick this year or next and i'd say congrats.

Big Black
12-15-2009, 06:54 PM
IMO, with Paul Petrino leaving the program, Mallett could be as good as gone even if he could use another season of experience.

the statistics for underclassmen QBs having success in the NFL right away aren't good. however, with the looming rookie wage scale and with many teams needing a franchise QB (Carolina and St. Louis to name a few), Mallett could choose to go pro.

it boils down to whether or not he has a chance of going top 10 since Mallett will surely be a top 5 pick next year if he puts up the same stats he did this year. if an NFL advisory board tells him that he's sure to go in the 1st round, Mallett could be gone.

JT Jag
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I still don't see what separates Mallett from JaMarcus Russell at this point.

Ryan Mallett's redeeming features:
1. Huge arm
2. Outstanding size

JRTPlaya21
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Mallett appears to be smarter then Russell from what I can tell. Listening to JaMarcus string thoughts together is painful.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I like Ryan Mallett. I don't know if I like him enough to spend a top 15 pick on him this year, but I think he's capable.

His mobility actually isn't that bad. Considering his size, it's about as good as you can expect. My only issue here is that he seemed kind of uncoordinated as a freshman at Michigan. However, I didn't notice it at Arkansas as much.

My other big concern would be playing under the Petrinos. That offense has a tendency to make everyone who plays under it look better than they are. What's the deal with Paul Petrino leaving? Will they still be running the same system at ARK next year? If so, I'm not sure how critical staying in school would be. Obviously it would still help regardless - but worth the money difference? I dunno.

I think this is a prime opportunity for him to pull a Sanchez and get paid. I thought he was a better prospect than Clausen going all the way back to when they played in the US Army AA game, and that hasn't changed. If he stays in college, certainly not a bad decision. He has things to work on for sure

Halsey
12-15-2009, 09:22 PM

1. Huge arm
2. Outstanding size

So big, strong armed QB's should be avoided because of JaMarcus Russell? Should teams also ignore big, athletic DE's because of Courtney Brown? Look out for fast WR's! They might be the next Troy Williamson! Power RB's are a big no-no too. They could be the next Ron Dayne! :roll:

Or, you could actually pay attention and see Russell's physical talents aren't the problem. It's his work ethic and other intangibles that are the problem. There's been no reason to think Mallett's physical talent will cause him to be the next JaMarcus Russell. That kind of comparison is for people who can't evaluate a prospect beyond height, weight speed.

ThePudge
12-15-2009, 10:23 PM

1. Huge arm
2. Outstanding size

Work ethic, which was Russell's downfall. Mallett is accurate and has many innate QB skills that you look for intangibly.

Prophet
12-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Mallett appears to be smarter then Russell from what I can tell. Listening to JaMarcus string thoughts together is painful.

I dont think Mallett is a Rhodes scholar but he certainly appears to be brighter than JaMarcus and although Ryan talks like an absolute hick, he has a decent grasp on the english language. Not to mention I doubt Mallett is the kind of guy that will blow his salary and signing bonus on daimond earings and Range Rovers for everyone in his family.

The only thing comparable about the 2 is size and monster arm strength. In the way of charecter and work ethic its not even close.
Mallett would be smart to stay in school, he is still pretty raw and could use the year to develop.

Although if he decides to pull a Sanchez I could see his draft stock rise quickly. Seeing as Bradford should drop, Mallett is the leading candidate to be the #2 guy. Guys with tremendous upside and raw ability usually see their stock rise as the draft gets closer.

wogitalia
12-16-2009, 01:13 AM

How is that a bad thing? Russell was the #1 pick over Quinn, who was probably a better prospect than any of the QBs this year. If Mallett is at the same level as Russell as a prospect, that is a positive.

Plus, Mallett doesn't have the weight issues that Russell did and just because Russell got lazy in the pros does not mean Mallett will.

Also... I think he would be reckless to go back to school if he gets a first round grade, it is only going to cost him money. It cost Leinart, Quinn and most likely Bradford money in the last few years. Mallett could very easily grade as a top 10 pick, just not worth the risk financially to go back to school, especially the way that seniors get hammered these days, you can't really win, Juniors need the experience but seniors get picked to pieces and are too old.

CC.SD
12-16-2009, 02:00 AM
If this becomes a real tactic in terms of draft declaration in QBs, it is totally the dirty sanchez.

vikes_28
12-16-2009, 02:17 AM
I would love for Mallett to come out and have the Vikings draft him. The more I think about it, the more it excites me.

diabsoule
12-16-2009, 02:20 AM
I would love for Mallett to come out and have the Vikings draft him. The more I think about it, the more it excites me.

You want the next JaMarcus? Why not just sign the real deal in the off-season?

I kid, I kid. I think that would be a savvy move but only if he is allowed to sit a couple of seasons (1-3) and learn the finer nuances of the quarterback position. He has a great arm, incredible size and strength, and a decent amount of leadership but it's accuracy, mobility, and touch on his passes that need to be corrected.

Landing with a stable organization that has a solid coaching staff will benefit the guy and learning behind Brett Favre couldn't hurt.

vikes_28
12-16-2009, 02:58 AM

I kid, I kid. I think that would be a savvy move but only if he is allowed to sit a couple of seasons (1-3) and learn the finer nuances of the quarterback position. He has a great arm, incredible size and strength, and a decent amount of leadership but it's accuracy, mobility, and touch on his passes that need to be corrected.

Landing with a stable organization that has a solid coaching staff will benefit the guy and learning behind Brett Favre couldn't hurt.

No doubt. Since everyone is giving the vikings Mallett in their mocks I thought I should watch him. I watched him and I liked what I saw. But yes I agree that he could learn a thing or two from Favre. The thing that Favre and Mallett have in common is that they are both gunslingers. And if the Vikings do not win the superbowl this year, I can guarantee that Favre will be back. Mallett's completion % is the way it is because he doesn't have anyone elite to throw to.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Honestly, if Mallett can go out and have a big day against East Carolina and handles the offseason barrage alright, I think he has a great shot at being the first quarterback off the board. It's not like his competition is amazing or anything.

Flyboy
12-16-2009, 03:36 AM
First QB off the board, Paranoid? Really? Even before Clausen?

ElectricEye
12-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Honestly, if Mallett can go out and have a big day against East Carolina and handles the offseason barrage alright, I think he has a great shot at being the first quarterback off the board. It's not like his competition is amazing or anything.

As much as I don't like his lack of polish, yeah, I could see that. There's going to be a few teams who don't quite like Clausen for one reason or another. East Carolina has an awful passing defenses too, so it's more than a possibility.

prock
12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Ryan Mallet is a large human being. His potential is just about unlimited. As a Vikings fan, I would prefer Mallet to Bradford for sure.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
First QB off the board, Paranoid? Really? Even before Clausen?

Easily. With some lingering concerns regarding attitude for Clausen, it's not hard to see that some teams could sour on him once they dig deeper. Clausen is the more polished product, to be sure, but Mallett has those tools that stand out larger once the college season is over and a general dissatisfaction with either Clausen or Bradford by NFL teams could launch him into the top 10.

Babylon
12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Easily. With some lingering concerns regarding attitude for Clausen, it's not hard to see that some teams could sour on him once they dig deeper. Clausen is the more polished product, to be sure, but Mallett has those tools that stand out larger once the college season is over and a general dissatisfaction with either Clausen or Bradford by NFL teams could launch him into the top 5.

I'd really like to find out about the whole attitude thing with Clausen, is it he rubs some the wrong way being from California/Notre Dame or does it go deeper than that? It's almost like let's see some proof or people should let it go.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I'd really like to find out about the whole attitude thing with Clausen, is it he rubs some the wrong way being from California/Notre Dame or does it go deeper than that? It's almost like let's see some proof or people should let it go.

Right now it's nothing but whispers. But we're not the people with the most access nor are we the people looking at investing 30+ million into the kid. If we hear anything at all, it probably won't be more than a rumor that a few teams are dropping Clausen down their boards or prefer some other guy more.

But from what I have heard, Clausen runs the risk of being perceived as being aloof from his teammates at Notre Dame and being generally arrogant. No idea if it's true or not.

P-L
12-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't like Mallett as the first quarterback off the board. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's a train wreck waiting to happen. He has enormous potential but is so far from reaching it at this point. He needs to go to a team where he doesn't have to start right away. If some team like the Rams or Browns draft him, it will be very difficult for him to find success. Minnesota would be an ideal situation for him, assuming Favre stays another year.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't like Mallett as the first quarterback off the board. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's a train wreck waiting to happen. He has enormous potential but is so far from reaching it at this point. He needs to go to a team where he doesn't have to start right away. If some team like the Rams or Browns draft him, it will be very difficult for him to find success. Minnesota would be an ideal situation for him, assuming Favre stays another year.

Assuming that St. Louis or Cleveland draft a quarterback. In this case, I think Mallett rising to the top of the quarterback group would have to be met by Bradford and Clausen sinking down a bit. Let's look at the teams that could use a quarterback and are projected to pick in the top 10...

St. Louis - May simply be picking too high to justify taking a QB. I'd still be surprised if they passed on Suh.
Cleveland - I'd be surprised in general if they take a QB. It depends who comes into that organization, but Brady Quinn may have earned himself one more chance.
Washington - I'd be flat out surprised if they let Jason Campbell walk the way he's playing.
Seattle - Mallett could sit for a year here.
Denver - Same here.
Buffalo - Not so much here, but at least Mallett is less of a reach at this point.

I don't think NFL teams are stupid. Taking Mallett is recognizing that you'd rather see how he develops than saddle yourself with how Bradford and Clausen have developed. That said, it wouldn't shock me if the top 5 winds up being all defense and linemen. There's no doubt that St. Louis needs a QB, but assuming they pick #1, the pressure to pick Suh is going to be intense. Outside the top 5, Mallet being the first QB off the board looks a lot more feasible.

JFLO
12-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I would take Mallet over Clausen at this point. To me, Clausen is the safer pick but his ceiling is no where near Mallet's.

Mallet will definitely need some more time to refine his game, but once he gets it down, he should be one of the best in the league.

Also, I don't think he is as "bad" as some people are perceiving. He lead the SEC in:

1) Passer Rating
2) Passing Yards
3) Touchdowns

I don't know about you guys but that looks pretty good to me, not to mention the fact that he may have the best arm in all of football and probably has the best size of any college quarterback.

Most people are paying attention to the deficits in Mallet's game and fail to realize that he (maybe aside from Locker) has the most potential of any "draftable" quarterback in the nation.

Yea, he tries to force a ball every now and then, but what NCAA quarterback doesn't? He obviously needs more adjustment on his longball accuracy but is definitely capable of doing that with time.

Right now, I think he is the best quarterback in the class, now that Locker has decided to return.

If he declares, he is a first round pick, most likely in the first half.

ThePudge
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM

His accuracy is tremendous actually, aside from occasionally firing balls over a receivers head or forcing a ball into a very tight spot. He often hits receivers between the numbers 15-25 yards downfield, only to have them drop it. He is adept at getting out of the pocket, moving to his right and throwing on the run, and lacks touch on only short routes (0-10 yds). He struggles moving to his left, doesn't have a whole lot of foot quickness. Still, with his cons, you made a few specific areas of concern seem very broad and general. I certainly like him more than I did JaMarcus Russell and think he'll actually be successful in the NFL.

He's not perfect by any stretch, but the guy has some tools that no other player does, and he's better than advertised by many here. Some read too deep into certain statistics, and not enough value is put on what he has shown on the field, the improvements he made week in and week out, and the immediate success he was able to have against the nation's strongest competition despite playing with a very young, drop prone receiving core.

He's good.

LonghornsLegend
12-16-2009, 04:02 PM
No doubt. Since everyone is giving the vikings Mallett in their mocks I thought I should watch him. I watched him and I liked what I saw. But yes I agree that he could learn a thing or two from Favre. The thing that Favre and Mallett have in common is that they are both gunslingers. And if the Vikings do not win the superbowl this year, I can guarantee that Favre will be back. Mallett's completion % is the way it is because he doesn't have anyone elite to throw to.

I think you guys would have to trade up. No way Mallet is around past pick 20 this year or next(which is likely where you guys are picking), he's too talented to fall even that far. You guys would need to move up top 10 to have even a shot at him, which I think he's worth it, just see very little to make me believe he'd be there when you guys pick.

Babylon
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I think you guys would have to trade up. No way Mallet is around past pick 20 this year or next(which is likely where you guys are picking), he's too talented to fall even that far. You guys would need to move up top 10 to have even a shot at him, which I think he's worth it, just see very little to make me believe he'd be there when you guys pick.

Brady Quinn went 22nd and Aaron Rodgers went 24th, i could easily see Mallett lasting that long.

LonghornsLegend
12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Brady Quinn went 22nd and Aaron Rodgers went 24th, i could easily see Mallett lasting that long.

I don't believe either of those 2 had anyone drooling over their long term potential at the QB position either. That's an entirely different situation. Not to say they weren't good prospects in their own right, but when your talking about a QB with tremendous potential, their typically overdrafted, especially if their a pretty good overall prospect anyway.

Babylon
12-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't believe either of those 2 had anyone drooling over their long term potential at the QB position either. That's an entirely different situation. Not to say they weren't good prospects in their own right, but when your talking about a QB with tremendous potential, their typically overdrafted, especially if their a pretty good overall prospect anyway.

I remember Quinn being in the conversation for a top 3 pick to the Browns (their 1st #1) before the draft and also the 8th pick to Miami. I guess i'm just having a hard time getting my arms around all this Ryan Mallett love, i think it's a little premature.

senormysterioso
12-16-2009, 04:49 PM

Aaron Rodgers was going to go number one overall until the league decided that everybody that Jeff Tedford was even tangentially associated with would flop as a pro. The Packers drafted him against the wishes of Lord Favre remember...a reporter asked Thompson what he would do if Rodgers was there at 24 and he answered that he wouldn't be there but if he was he would most definitely take him.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2009, 05:01 PM

The reason Quinn and Rodgers fell was because there wasn't a widespread need for a quarterback.

CC.SD
12-16-2009, 05:15 PM
and because Ted Ginn had such a swell family.

San Diego Chicken
12-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Mallett is in the same position as Jevan Snead was last year as the 'hot' prospect from the SEC with the raw physical tools. Their career tracks are pretty similar too, as transfers from big name schools. But it's weird, nobody talks about Snead anymore at all. Yeah he had a rough season, but he lost his top WR and his LT to the NFL, and the team still can go 9-4 with a bowl win.

Anyway, I guess my point is I don't see the big difference between 08 Jevan Snead and 09 Ryan Mallett in terms of draft stock. Arm strength is the most overrated aspect of evaluating quarterbacks by far.

Halsey
12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Mallett is in the same position as Jevan Snead was last year as the 'hot' prospect from the SEC with the raw physical tools. Their career tracks are pretty similar too, as transfers from big name schools. But it's weird, nobody talks about Snead anymore at all. Yeah he had a rough season, but he lost his top WR and his LT to the NFL, and the team still can go 9-4 with a bowl win.

Anyway, I guess my point is I don't see the big difference between 08 Jevan Snead and 09 Ryan Mallett in terms of draft stock. Arm strength is the most overrated aspect of evaluating quarterbacks by far.

People on these boards and their meaningless comparisons.

Here I'll play along: Eric Berry plays in the same conference that Reggie Nelson did. Reggie Nelson was a hot prospect playing in the SEC. Eric Berry is the same as Reggie Nelson. Avoid him! Speed is the most overrated aspect of evaluating safeties by far! Slow safeties are clearly the way to go!

LonghornsLegend
12-16-2009, 11:31 PM

Here I'll play along: Eric Berry plays in the same conference that Reggie Nelson did. Reggie Nelson was a hot prospect playing in the SEC. Eric Berry is the same as Reggie Nelson. Avoid him! Speed is the most overrated aspect of evaluating safeties by far! Slow safeties are clearly the way to go!

People like to use lazy comparisons as I say.

Same reason people were calling Orakpo Gholston because he came out one year after, was really big and a workout warrior, so omg they must be exactly alike and Orakpo is going to bust just like Gholston did because they both have big muscles!!1!1

ThePudge
12-16-2009, 11:51 PM

Agree completely. Snead's game isn't the least bit relevant when talking about Ryan Mallett's. Two completely different players with two different types of seasons, and more than likely two different future.

San Diego Chicken
12-17-2009, 03:50 AM

It just struck me that both were transfers that had immediate success at their new schools. Both players are known for being raw yet talented prospects.

If you want to talk about how fickle this board can be, Snead was talked about as having first round potential at this time last year. He went back to school, underwhelmed, and now isn't being mentioned, at all, when it comes to quarterback prospects. Is that in the cards for Ryan Mallett? Maybe, maybe not.

It wasn't so much me comparing them as prospects; more me comparing their situations at a comparable point. You're jumping to conclusions - you never heard me say to avoid strong armed QB's. You never heard me say that Mallett and Snead are the same player. You have faulty premesis.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-17-2009, 04:17 AM
If you want to talk about how fickle this board can be, Snead was talked about as having first round potential at this time last year. He went back to school, underwhelmed, and now isn't being mentioned, at all, when it comes to quarterback prospects.

That's not this board, that's the nature of the whole process.

Last year people saw a talented sophomore post solid numbers, including some very strong performances against some of the better teams on Mississippi's schedule. Snead was therefore projected as potentially being part of the conversation for top quarterbacks for the 2010 draft. Snead went out, and while his overall numbers only fell a little, his play against good competition plummeted. I think both can be laid somewhat to rest at the loss of talent on that offense (as well as playing from behind more because of losses on the defense), but Snead didn't look the same really. And so his stock falls. If you can't hack it, for whatever reason, your stock will fall.

Personally, if Snead does come out (I can't imagine he will) I still like him as a sleeper in the 4th or 5th round. But this is a fickle process. If you want to get drafted high, you have to play well and demonstrate improvement over your college career.