PDA

View Full Version : Slight Spin: Who was the top prospect this decade?

murdamal86
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Looking back on the decade, what prospect I guess you can say was the highest rated coming out of college? Disregard how they turned out in the NFL, just remember how high they were rated and touted.

soybean
12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Probably calvin or vernon davis.

wicket
12-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Id say Eli Manning but other options are:
Calvin Johnson
Glenn Dorsey

YAYareaRB
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Calvin Johnson

P-L
12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Adrian Peterson for me, but I know I'll be in the minority.

murdamal86
12-16-2009, 05:02 PM
For people saying Calvin Johnson, would you say he became the top of the decade before Feb. 26th, 2007 aka before he ran the 4.35?

CC.SD
12-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Carson Palmer obviously.

Babylon
12-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Out of college i'd list a few based on highest grade:

Lavar Arrington
Carson Palmer
Sean Taylor
Joe Thomas
Patrick Willis
Julius Peppers
Eli manning
Calvin Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Jake Locker:(

Crickett
12-16-2009, 05:15 PM
For people saying Calvin Johnson, would you say he became the top of the decade before Feb. 26th, 2007 aka before he ran the 4.35?

No, but should that matter that once his speed was quantified that he was set apart? Its not like the 4.35 was the sole determining factor.

To me, this is like asking if you thought Chris Johnson was a first round prospect before you saw just how fast he really was quantified.

Calvin Johnson is the best prospect of the decade and very probably the best WR prospect of all time. Because of his size, speed, production, catching ability, attitude, big play ability and everything else you look for in a WR.

Every time you said imagine if.

Imagine if Santana Moss wasn't so short.
Imagine if Randy Moss was an upstanding citizen.
Imagine if Larry Fitzgerald was really really fast.
Imagine if Braylon Edwards was better at catching the ball.
Imagine if Matt Jones could actually play WR and wasn't a coke head.

There just wasn't that missing element with Calvin Johnson.

So what exactly is the problem putting him ahead of the rest once we saw his 40 time and that he was just that fast?

JFLO
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM

I think he would still be one of the elite, if not the best prospect if he had ran a 4.4.

His already freakish abilites and body control were just mind blowing. A receiver like him only comes around once every 10-15 years.

I'm not sure if I would name him #1 though, for the decade. I think Joe Thomas deserves some credit as well as players like Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush (pre bust).

Also, cannot forget Sean Taylor.

ClayMiller4
12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Calvin Johnson. The man was and still is an absolute freak. 6'4, 230, 4.35, incredibly productive, great ball skills, nice hands, and a humble personality set him apart. Also up there are Mario, Bush, Peterson, Taylor, Thomas, Vick, Manning, Rivers, Lavar, Dorsey, and Fitz.

GaMeTiMe
12-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't know, people were a bit crazier for McFadden than some of the other names being listed...

Borat
12-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Alex Smith followed closely by JordyZZzzZZ.

12-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Reggie Bush.

murdamal86
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
No, but should that matter that once his speed was quantified that he was set apart? Its not like the 4.35 was the sole determining factor.

To me, this is like asking if you thought Chris Johnson was a first round prospect before you saw just how fast he really was quantified.

Calvin Johnson is the best prospect of the decade and very probably the best WR prospect of all time. Because of his size, speed, production, catching ability, attitude, big play ability and everything else you look for in a WR.

Every time you said imagine if.

Imagine if Santana Moss wasn't so short.
Imagine if Randy Moss was an upstanding citizen.
Imagine if Larry Fitzgerald was really really fast.
Imagine if Braylon Edwards was better at catching the ball.
Imagine if Matt Jones could actually play WR and wasn't a coke head.

There just wasn't that missing element with Calvin Johnson.

So what exactly is the problem putting him ahead of the rest once we saw his 40 time and that he was just that fast?

I wasn't being THAT detailed with the question. Me bringing up that 4.35 was me asking did that put any remaining questions about his speed (i know game and straight line speed are different but you KNOW how much scouts value 40 times) to bed and solidified him as possibly the top prospect of the decade? That's all. I'm not saying "well what if such and such ran a 4.1" or anything like that.

keylime_5
12-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Probably calvin or vernon davis.

kellen winslow Jr. graded out as a better TE prospect. Davis just had freaky combine numbers. So I wouldn't say Davis was the best TE prospect this decade, let alone the best overall.

My money is Calvin Johnson. Everything you want in a WR. Julius Peppers is probably 2nd. I was always a huge Adrian Peterson fan, lot of people including NFL people backed off b/c of his injury issues in college and his running style.

Crickett
12-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I wasn't being THAT detailed with the question. Me bringing up that 4.35 was me asking did that put any remaining questions about his speed (i know game and straight line speed are different but you KNOW how much scouts value 40 times) to bed and solidified him as possibly the top prospect of the decade? That's all. I'm not saying "well what if such and such ran a 4.1" or anything like that.

Sorry, I went a bit overboard. I figured the implication was that the only thing that made Calvin arguably the top prospect this decade was his 40 time. :(

Matthew Jones
12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
The best I can remember off the top of my head have been Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow, Robert Gallery, Mario Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Patrick Willis, DeAngelo Hall, and Sean Taylor. That's by position.

Draft King
12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Michael Vick, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, and Sean Taylor.

ThePudge
12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and Reggie Bush were my 1, 2, and 3 players in the past 5 years (or since I've attended the draft.) If I were to go back to 2000 I'd include Carson Palmer and Sean Taylor in the running.

phlysac
12-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Reggie Bush.

When the media is saying that you're better than Gale Sayers... completely WRONG but I've never seen a prospect get more clout than Bush. The entire country (media) laughed out loud at the Texans for selecting Mario Williams (correctly).

I have no memory of any other situation where the team selecting #1 was basically laughed at.

In fact, late in the season when the 49ers were playing the Texans (when they were tied for worst record in the NFL), the media dubbed the game the "Reggie Bush Bowl"

diesel
12-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Calvin Johnson, easily. Size, Hands, Route running, and then at the combine we saw the speed.

Prophet
12-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Calvin Johnson.
The best and most complete WR prospect ever.

DeepThreat
12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Sean Taylor.

Rosebud
12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Calvin Johnson, Run DMC, Eli, sean taylor, Mario Williams and Suh for me.

Nalej
12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Adrian Peterson for me, but I know I'll be in the minority.

Not really. It's a tie between AD and Megatron.

Halsey
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
If you're comparing all prospects side by side, then I'll go with the best prospect at the most important position: Carson Palmer.

However, I'm not sure Palmer was as highly rated a QB prospect as Calvin Johnson or Julius Peppers were for their position. It's hard to compare prospects at different positions.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Reggie Bush / Sean Taylor

Vox Populi
12-16-2009, 09:43 PM
QB: Mike Vick
RB: Reggie Bush
WR: Calvin Johnson
TE: KWII
OL: ???
DE: Julius Peppers
DT: ??? (Suh???)
LB: LaVarr Arrington
CB: ??? (Pacman/DeAngelo???)
DB: Sean Taylor

The people that aren't in the ??? are definitely guys you'd called once in a decade prospects, and they really have been for this decade. Only VD and Mario Williams my contend for their positions. CB, DT and OL are tough, there wasn't any OL with out of this world intangibles. DT's, I think Suh probably will end up as the best prospect from the decade. Other than him, maybe Seymour??? CB is the one thats had the least. No Woodson or Champ Bailey for this decade :(

Malaka
12-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Prospect of the decade... not going by position just overall has got to be Michael Vick. Unheard of speed and agility, cannon-arm, leadership (led VT to a National Title game, and another bowl game).

He was everything you could want in a QB, its too bad he turned out to be a giant douche, but even if he wasn't would I call him a bust? No, he was the leader of that team, led them to playoffs, and was a pro bowl caliber player who although inaccurate was slowly developing as a passer, but you cannot deny is amazing running ability.

Preston
12-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Calvin Johnson and Sean Taylor (and Suh, if we're counting this year as well) were both potential all-time great prospects; name a safety or wide receiver prospect better!

Shahin
12-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Carson Palmer obviously.

Yeah i'm gonna go with this.

niel89
12-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Calvin Johnson. He had no weaknesses. Everything was a strength.

Day One Pick
12-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Based on the thread title, the only answer is Reggie Bush. I've never seen a prospect get more buzz or hype than Bush. He had very few haters too, if any.

PickedOffTwice
12-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Based on the thread title, the only answer is Reggie Bush. I've never seen a prospect get more buzz or hype than Bush. He had very few haters too, if any.

I remember a lot of people questioning his ability to run between the tackles. Also, nearly everybody pointed out that he can't continue his video game style approach to search for the big play: left, right, reverse the field, stop, burn LB sideline to sideline and score. Wouldn't fly in the NFL.

He was hyped by the big Networks, but around message boards and knowledgeable football fans I recall quite a few question marks concerning Bush. By no means he was a clear cut can't miss prospect like Calvin Johnson. That may just be my selective memory, though.

Saints-Tigers
12-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Calvin Johnson, purely if you go position by position. Besides the fact that his skill package is complete, he's a high character guy, and BY FAR the best size and speed combo. When you honestly think about it, he puts Andre Johnson a nd TO to shame with his size, and he's faster and jumps higher! What the hell!

Mike Vick, Reggie Bush and Julius Peppers though...

umphrey
12-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Calvin Johnson, Carson Palmer, Julius Peppers, Reggie Bush, Mike Vick

Highest out of those I'd have to go with Peppers.

Sean Taylor and Patrick Willis couldn't be the top prospect because of the positions they played. The guys I mentioned were just as elite as prospects but played the money positions. Except for Bush arguably, but he got hyped up more than anyone I think.

PACKmanN
12-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Reggie Bush.

When the media is saying that you're better than Gale Sayers... completely WRONG but I've never seen a prospect get more clout than Bush. The entire country (media) laughed out loud at the Texans for selecting Mario Williams (correctly).

I have no memory of any other situation where the team selecting #1 was basically laughed at.

In fact, late in the season when the 49ers were playing the Texans (when they were tied for worst record in the NFL), the media dubbed the game the "Reggie Bush Bowl"

What happened to that GM? brought 5 starters to that team in 7 picks, not bad. 4 in which have pro bowl talent.

SenorGato
12-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Calvin Johnson/Sean Taylor.

Before CJ there was AJ. Sucks for Andre that he's on a decent team at best through his early years and some of his prime. I hope the Texans do something while he's there, and they probably will since he makes it happen.

Buc Baller12
12-17-2009, 09:32 PM
guys how was ladainian tomlinson rated as a prospect coming out of TCU in 01?

phlysac
12-17-2009, 09:37 PM

Extremely highly from what I remember. Just the way the draft plays out shows how highly he was rated in that draft compared to other prospects.

I think he was definitely one of the top 3 ranked RBs of the past decade.

ToldLikeItIs
12-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I would consider Patrick Willis about as can't miss as can't miss goes when he came out.

phlysac
12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I would consider Patrick Willis about as can't miss as can't miss goes when he came out.

Yet last year most considered Aaron Curry a better draft prospect than Willis in '07.

RaiderNation
12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Michael Vick, Carson Palmer or Calvin Johnson for me

FUNBUNCHER
12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Calvin Johnson. The man was and still is an absolute freak. 6'4, 230, 4.35, incredibly productive, great ball skills, nice hands, and a humble personality set him apart. Also up there are Mario, Bush, Peterson, Taylor, Thomas, Vick, Manning, Rivers, Lavar, Dorsey, and Fitz.

CJ is 240#, even more freakdom.

BTW, Larry Fitzgerld was an extremely high rated prospect, with many arguing he was the perfect WR except for straight line speed.

Goon61
12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Chris Johnson

Job
12-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Chris Johnson

Hello Al Davis. This is the wrong CJ you're talking about.

CC.SD
12-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Kind of an iffy prospect since he came out of a basically a single wing offense and had played a bunch of fullback (I know...) but his measurables blew him up the draft board, notably past Deuce McCallister. No reputation at all for catching the ball. He wasn't really considered an elite prospect until right up near the end.

Easiest way to put it is that the Chargers traded down from #1 to #5 overall and were never really in danger of losing out on Ladainian. Not bad for a guy who became what he is today.

yourfavestoner
12-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Mario Williams

foozball
12-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Offense

QB: Carson Palmer
The prototype QB. Had size, arm strength, accuracy, a track record, and leadership abilities

RB: Adrian Peterson
Had size, speed, toughness, and ability to run between the tackles. Only question was durability and fumbles. People want to put Bush here, but there were questions about his style, ability to run between the tackles, and size. You don't get that with Peterson.

WR: Calvin Johnson
Big, fast, hands, character, and production.

TE: Vernon Davis
Debating whether to put Kellen Winslow here, but Vernon's superior measurables puts him over the top

OT: Joe Thomas
I think people forget how good of a prospect he was because he didn't go #1 and well...he plays for the Browns. There weren't questions about his strength or size like D'Brick and he had a better reputation as a pass blocker than Jake Long

OG: Steve Hutchinson
Guards don't typically go 17th overall, but Hutchinson had some unreal athletic ability and put up some great numbers at the combine

C: Nick Mangold
I think everyone will agree that Mangold was the most hyped Center prospect to come along in some time

Defense

DT: Tommy Harris
This was a difficult pick, as there have been quite a few elite DTs in the past decade, but I think Harris was the freakiest athlete so far. 6'3 295lbs running 4.78 and dominated every other combine event except for the bench (respectable 29 reps compared to John Henderson's 24 and Albert Haynesworth's 17)

DE: Julius Peppers
It was between Mario and Julius, but Julius wins out because of his higher production throughout college and there were no questions about his motor.

OLB: Lavar Arrington
Although he didn't quite live up to expectations, he was a great prospect and deserved all the hype.

ILB: Patrick Willis
When you pair instincts, beastliness, and 4.38 speed...you get the top ILB prospect of he decade. Only real "weakness" was that he didn't have prototypical size at 6'1 242lbs.

CB: Terence Newman
Had prototypical size at 5'11 190lbs and speed at 4.37 to go along with production, which won him nearly every DB award his senior year.

FS: Sean Taylor
RIP

SS: Eric Berry
He hasn't officially declared yet, but I expect he will. I almost put Troy Polamalu here, but Berry is getting alot more hype and had more career interceptions.

SickwithIt1010
12-20-2009, 12:35 AM
OT: Joe Thomas
I think people forget how good of a prospect he was because he didn't go #1 and well...he plays for the Browns. There weren't questions about his strength or size like D'Brick and he had a better reputation as a pass blocker than Jake Long

Thomas was definitely up there, but id have to argue that Gallery was the All-World Tackle when he came out, watching his highlights from college you would have thought he wouldve been the greatest tackle of all time.

WCH
12-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Reggie Bush.

Yeah, Bush was this decade's Tony Mandarich. He was the most hyped guy, the next great player, the guy that we were going to name awards after.

...And then he wasn't. Crap.