PDA

View Full Version : Arrelious Benn declares for the 2010 NFL draft

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-16-2009, 05:24 PM
My man Regis, DC's own baby!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/wires/12/16/2060.ap.fbc.illinois.benn.1st.ld.writhethru.0389/

GaMeTiMe
12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
I like Benn and the Boldin comparisons are enticing..but I liked Adarius Bowman too..

Matthew Jones
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
I am a big Arrelious Benn fan. The Boldin comparison is right on in my opinion. Hard to see a situation in which he doesn't rank among the top wide receivers going into the draft.

superman8456
12-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm not a big fan of Benn's at all. I think he is a little overrated and isnt that productive.

He is a poor mans Boldin.

DraftBreakdown
12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't really see Boldin in him. I actually see a raw Hines Ward. I don't think (obviously) he's as good of a blocker, or that he runs routes nearly as well but I see a lot of Ward in his body language and his fluidity and maybe even his hands. Thoughts?

ElectricEye
12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't really see Boldin in him. I actually see a raw Hines Ward. I don't think (obviously) he's as good of a blocker, or that he runs routes nearly as well but I see a lot of Ward in his body language and his fluidity and maybe even his hands. Thoughts?

He's bigger, faster, and more athletic than Ward ever was.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
glad hes coming out.

SehornLives
12-16-2009, 11:12 PM
This guy is a joke, has done NOTHING this year, will test out no better then Reily Cooper at the combine, yet I'm sure will be drafted in the first round based on some view that his "upside" is huge. Golden Tate, Jordan Shipley, Mardy Gillard, Eric Decker, Reily Cooper, and even Blair White will have better NFL career's then him. I would take anyone of them over Benn in a heartbeat.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Damn y'all don't like Benn?? I mean its hard to put up numbers w/ Juice Williams as your QB, so of course other receivers are going to have the stats. I've seen him play since he was a sophmore in HS, so I'm a big time fan. IDK about the Boldin campirson, he reminds me of Eric Moulds in his prime...

LonghornsLegend
12-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I liked him prior to the season, but he didn't impress me much this year at all. I know Illinois' situation and Juice did regress, but he doesn't look very polished IMO. I will pass on him and all his supposed 'upside' that we hear about every year that players never reach and take a guy like Mardy Gilyard, Golden Tate, and the highly slept on Danario Alexander over him every day of the week.

I like upside as much as the next person/coach/GM, but at WR I prefer guys who actually know how to play the position and do the little things. I bet Alexander is drafted much later then Benn and ends up a much better pro then him.

Sniper
12-16-2009, 11:37 PM
This guy is a joke, has done NOTHING this year,

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/juice%20williams_Rose_Bowl.jpg

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-17-2009, 01:23 AM
LMAO @ Sniper

Scott Wright
12-17-2009, 02:06 AM
I really like Benn.

I guess you can blame him for choosing to go play for Ron Zook but tt's not his fault he had Juice Williams as his quarterback. Anyone who holds that against him on Draft Day will be missing out. In my opinion he's a first round talent and probably my #2 wideout.

vikes_28
12-17-2009, 02:21 AM
Juice! Like Scott, I'm also very high on Benn. He's managed to rack up stats with Juicey as his QB. Lol.

Scott Wright
12-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Just like scouts will you need to take into account his situation.

Sure Benn wasn't very productive but it was through no fault of his own.

Ask yourself this: What if Benn had been at Notre Dame and Golden Tate at Illinois.

Unbiased
12-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Personally, I don't think Juice Williams was the reason for Benn's subpar junior season; I think it was the departure of offensive coordinator Mike Locksley.

I mean, how can you blame it all on Juice when Benn had a great year as a sophomore with Juice as his QB?

I think the Illinois offense as a whole regressed from 2008 to 2009.

ncst8fan83
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
If Calvin Johnson can be productive with Reggie Ball as his QB, then Benn should be adequate with Juice Williams throwing him the ball. Less than 500 yards receiving is NOT adequate.

Sniper
12-17-2009, 11:08 AM
If Calvin Johnson can be productive with Reggie Ball as his QB, then Benn should be adequate with Juice Williams throwing him the ball. Less than 500 yards receiving is NOT adequate.

No one's claiming that Benn is on Johnson's level.

ElectricEye
12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Nope, Benn is just a really good talent. Megatron isn't a good standard to use for somebody.

murdamal86
12-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Grand Opening

Grand Closing

Good job with that Snip because Juice Williams regressed something serious this year. The whole offense went into the tank

holt_bruce81
12-17-2009, 07:03 PM
I really wouldn't mind the Rams taking him with their 2nd round pick. Although I don't think they see Receiver as big of a need as some of the fans in St. Louis do.

superman8456
12-17-2009, 07:08 PM
2 TD's is not nearly as productive as a 1st round pick should be.

ElectricEye
12-17-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't even get how anyone can knock Benn's production then turn around and say Decker was productive when he was playing in the same conference and putting up similar numbers. Really not all that different. The touchdown numbers are night and day, but that's the Juice factor.

Sniper
12-17-2009, 07:19 PM
2 TD's is not nearly as productive as a 1st round pick should be.

ElectricEye
12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I expect someone will try to, at some point, make the case that Juice threw for 22 touchdowns last year and was a productive player statistically. So I'm preemptive http://jamie-online.com/random-jamz/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/facepalm.jpging them.

descendency
12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
No one's claiming that Benn is on Johnson's level.

People think he's a top 10 talent, but Calvin Johnson is a prototypical top 10 WR. So, There are some that do. Him and Dez Bryant get that kind of attention. Neither are.

ElectricEye
12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
People think he's a top 10 talent, but Calvin Johnson is a prototypical top 10 WR. So, There are some that do. Him and Dez Bryant get that kind of attention. Neither are.

No, Calvin Johnson was a top decade talent. Nobody thinks he or Dez Bryant are Calvin Johnson and nobody is giving them that type of attention or thinks either of them have that type of talent. You're just wrong about that. You weren't around here during that time, wouldn't expect you to know, but you're off a long, long way.

Sniper
12-17-2009, 07:25 PM
People think he's a top 10 talent

No, they don't.

ElectricEye
12-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I think Benn's a top ten talent, but he doesn't deserve to go there. I think he's far more talented than Dez, despite the fact Bryant will go higher. Benn just hasn't earned being drafted up there on the field as of yet. I do give him major leeway because of Juice, but I prefer my top ten picks to be slightly more productive regardless or quarterback play. Still deserves to be a top twenty pick and probably one of the first three wide receivers selected.

broncofan7
12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Definitely has the talent but I believe he may slip to the second round thanks to the ineptness of Illinois's quarterbacks.

bearsfan_51
12-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Benn dropped a fair amount of easy passes too. You can only put so much on Juice.

jimbo
12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
His route running is great and he has good speed, he just has awful hands. He could be a nice steal for a team in the second round if he's able to hold onto the ball.

RealityCheck
12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Benn is a sure first rounder, but I wouldn't say he's Top 10 talent.

hagy34
12-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Ask yourself this: What if Benn had been at Notre Dame and Golden Tate at Illinois.

This is all that needs to be said.

nepg
12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I get the "lack of production wasn't his fault" bit, but that doesn't mean that he'll prevail over the lack of production whether it was his fault or not. People gave Troy Williamson the same pass.

You can do all the "what if's" and excuses all you want, but the fact is that he wasn't productive, and never gained the valuable experience from being a productive receiver. You can't make up for these things. You can't rewrite his college career.

I don't remember too many (any? excluding QB converts like Randle El) WRs that have come into the NFL and have success after being relatively unproductive at the college level.

katnip
12-19-2009, 03:38 PM
To me Benn isn't to far behind Bryant as a prospect

LonghornsLegend
12-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Then Tate's stats would be terrible and Benn's much better, but I don't see how any of that tells how good one will be at the next level.

It's not like Benn's situation was that much worse then that of DHB last year at Maryland, but DHB still managed to put up 600+ receiving yards with 5 TD's in an abysmal offense that rarely passed the ball.

Benn just isn't a very polished WR, he seems like he'll get overdrafted due to physical traits which happens alot but too many times I see those guys bust at WR more then any other position.

hagy34
12-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I get the "lack of production wasn't his fault" bit, but that doesn't mean that he'll prevail over the lack of production whether it was his fault or not. People gave Troy Williamson the same pass.

You can do all the "what if's" and excuses all you want, but the fact is that he wasn't productive, and never gained the valuable experience from being a productive receiver. You can't make up for these things. You can't rewrite his college career.

I don't remember too many (any? excluding QB converts like Randle El) WRs that have come into the NFL and have success after being relatively unproductive at the college level.

Troy Williamson had speed and that was it. The only reason he went that high is because the Vikings screwed up when trying to instantly replace Randy Moss.

Halsey
12-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I haven't really watched Benn play much, but I hear and see good things: Good size, similar to Anquan Boldin, good work ethic. That's what Kiper was saying about him today, anyway. Kiper and some other dude interviewed him today and he came across as a sharp, reasonably modest guy.

roscoesdad27
12-19-2009, 06:00 PM
This guy is a joke, has done NOTHING this year, will test out no better then Reily Cooper at the combine, yet I'm sure will be drafted in the first round based on some view that his "upside" is huge. Golden Tate, Jordan Shipley, Mardy Gillard, Eric Decker, Reily Cooper, and even Blair White will have better NFL career's then him. I would take anyone of them over Benn in a heartbeat.

You have to take into account how players physical measuarbles translate to the next level...all those guys you would take over benn will get ate up in press coverage becuase they dont have the size or/and speed to beat it, benn has both the size and speed making him a rare talent. The guys you mentioned are slot recievers with the exception of decker who could possibly be #2....benn is a true #1 guy.

SehornLives
12-19-2009, 10:16 PM
You have to take into account how players physical measuarbles translate to the next level...all those guys you would take over benn will get ate up in press coverage becuase they dont have the size or/and speed to beat it, benn has both the size and speed making him a rare talent. The guys you mentioned are slot recievers with the exception of decker who could possibly be #2....benn is a true #1 guy.

False, False, False....#1 Cooper and White both have the same size/speed combo as Benn, with more production (I know, you probably can't comprehend that being possible, but it will be proven at the combine). Decker is JUST as physical as Benn, with a bit less speed, but with better hands. Shipley, Tate & Gillard are more skilled route runners with more quickness and better hands. Just figured I'd contest your post. Cooper will beat Benn in EVERY drill at the combine.....laugh all you want now, but you read it hear first.

will99890
12-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Sometimes you just gotta watch a lot of games to understand some prospects. Stats really don't mean anything to me. Illinois isn't a great team, so Benn didn't see too many chances. But when he gets the ball in his hands in the open field he makes DBs pay for tackling him. That is a quality that no drill at the combine or pro day can measure. Benn may have some concentration issues from playing on a horrible team. I don't see any other problems with him as a prospect. Definitely big enough, fast enough, and strong enough to succeed. Just needs to work on the usual rookie stuff (blocking, route running, catching with the hands).

Watch some of his film from last year. Much better highlights.

wicket
12-19-2009, 11:03 PM
False, False, False....#1 Cooper and White both have the same size/speed combo as Benn, with more production (I know, you probably can't comprehend that being possible, but it will be proven at the combine). Decker is JUST as physical as Benn, with a bit less speed, but with better hands. Shipley, Tate & Gillard are more skilled route runners with more quickness and better hands. Just figured I'd contest your post. Cooper will beat Benn in EVERY drill at the combine.....laugh all you want now, but you read it hear first.

Even if the rest would've made sense that simple error made you lose all credibility.

FUNBUNCHER
12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I have question marks about Benn because at times he seemed to not be Illinois' #1 WR last season.

Was Juice Williams any worse than Calvin Johnson's QB, Reggie Ball?
There's a mystery about his numbers that needs to be answered before I would take him in the top 25, no matter how great his tools are.

Hines
12-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Personally, I don't see no way he gets passed Baltimore if they don't make a splash in free agency.

El Peefs?????
12-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I have question marks about Benn because at times he seemed to not be Illinois' #1 WR last season.

There's a mystery about his numbers that needs to be answered before I would take him in the top 25, no matter how great his tools are.

Illinois has had much better RB's than GT had when Calvin/Ball were there. Juice Williams was a horribly inaccurate thrower (which seemingly got worse over time) on a run first team; plus Benn isnt Calvin Johnson.

He has impressed me the majority of the time I've seen him play. He has a lot of Anquan Boldin in him if you ask me, he looks exactly like him with the ball in his hands. Big physical guy who is a nightmare for DB's to bring down.

nepg
12-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Another reason I'm not a fan of him. He was invisible this year. He wasn't even Illinois' #1 WR...

Sniper
12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
He was invisible this year.

http://buckeyebanter.com/images/football/preview04.jpg

He wasn't even Illinois' #1 WR...

Yeah, he was.

cdmPSU17
12-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I've seen him play many times and one thing that really stood out to me was his run after catch ability. He would just run over safties. I kinda tend to believe his lack of productivity was a result of his QB and Zook's offense. He always looked like a first rounder to me.

With that being said, I am praying he somehow falls to Miami in the second round, since everyone and their mother knows the Tuna isn't spending a first rounder on a wideout.

dansaint
12-22-2009, 09:23 PM
there was a reason why late in the year...Juice went to the bench and Jacob Charest was the QB. Charest can actaully throw the ball downfield and be accurate.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Everyone is wrong on saying Juice Williams was the reason why Benn performed bad this year. Juice was still throwing him the ball his sophmore year when he had over a thousand yards. The difference is they changed offensive coordinators from Lockesly to Mike Schultz. Just to let you know how good Schultz was he didn't last the year at Illinois.