PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Campbell declares for the draft

Sportycliche
12-18-2009, 09:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4753887

Article says he was told he could be drafted in the middle of the 1st round to the middle of the 2nd round.

Where does he rank among OTs? Behind Okung and Trent Williams?

terribletowel39
12-18-2009, 09:08 AM
His name alone should give him 1st round consideration.

He will be another Maryland workout warrior like Merriman and Davis. Hopefully he will turn out as good as them.

Hines
12-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I have him as my third OT right now behind Okung and Anthony Davis.

diabsoule
12-18-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0905/this-is-my-boomstick-demotivational-poster-1242598575.jpg

Scott Wright
12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Campbell's a freakish talent but durability is a big concern.

Workout Warrior who is more potential than production at this point.

Shane P. Hallam
12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
I do like his potential a lot. If he stays healthy, I do think he could have an NFL future as a LT. Reminds me a bit of Chris Williams as a prospect (who hasn't panned out,) but a team will take a shot early on him I imagine.

Poz51
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Campbell's a freakish talent but durability is a big concern.

Workout Warrior who is more potential than production at this point.

Durability is the major concern, turf toe sounds like nothing but can be lingering problem, and minor knee (MCL) concerns, forced him to miss time this year. Work out warrior who's potential exceed's his production is how I see him as well. I think his athletic ability will overshadow his minimal body of work, and someone could reach on him as high as the top ten, and with all the teams that look like they will be drafting in the top 10 (Buffalo, Washington, Seattle, Detroit, Oakland, KC, etc...) that need a left tackle, I would find it hard to believe he makes it out of the top of the second round, with someone trading up (if he falls) to take him later in the first as a real possibility as well.

SuperMcGee
12-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Sure, he could have stayed in school. He could have even been king. But in his own way, he is king.

Giantsfan1080
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd still rank Davis a little ahead of Campbell but I can see a team falling in love with Campbell's athleticism.

D-Unit
12-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Loads of raw talent, but he would benefit from sitting and learning for at least 2 years if the team is to benefit without dealing with a lot of mistakes. I see him being taken early in Round 2 and having a career similar to Winston Justice... Who is a good player now, but had a very rough start.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Hopefully Davis decalres so the Skins have a lot of backup plans if we miss out on Okung. I'd be ecstatic if we landed Anthony Davis or Bruce.

Matthew Jones
12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I see him as a first round pick. Potential matters more than production in the draft for most teams and he's certainly got a lot of talent. I think he has a shot to go in the top half of the first round, especially with the pretty bad season Trent Williams put forward. For those doubting that he's even a first round pick, consider this - Duane Brown was one.

CC.SD
12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.honcho-sfx.com/Images/Products/Ash_black_crbr_cl.jpg

RaiderNation
12-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I have him somewhere behind Okung, Davis and Bulaga.

Giantsfan1080
12-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Hopefully Davis decalres so the Skins have a lot of backup plans if we miss out on Okung. I'd be ecstatic if we landed Anthony Davis or Bruce.

I expect Davis to declare the Monday after the bowl game on Saturday.

broncofan7
12-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I really like him and see him as the second tackle behind Okung. I could see him as a top 10 pick by draft time simply because a team with love his athleticism i.e. the Raiders.

ThePudge
12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I see him as a first round pick. Potential matters more than production in the draft for most teams and he's certainly got a lot of talent. I think he has a shot to go in the top half of the first round, especially with the pretty bad season Trent Williams put forward. For those doubting that he's even a first round pick, consider this - Duane Brown was one.

Duane Brown was a slightly better football player than Bruce Campbell, and proved himself through Post-season All-Star games, where his stock jumped from 5th-7th Round to 3rd Round. Through his struggles at Left Tackle, also, Trent Williams was still the better player. Bruce hasn't put it together yet, though he will have more than just "a shot" at going in the first round based on how he'll measure and workout without pads on. I don't want to say Campbell is a Top 20 pick, but that's where he may end up. A very average player with many holes and inconsistencies in his game, but one that a team will likely fall in love with. Right now, he's my #4 OT behind Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, and Trent Williams (RT) by a hair.

P-L
12-18-2009, 06:50 PM
People are all so down on Trent Williams because he had a bad season as a left tackle. Fact is, he's still an excellent right tackle prospect. Trent Williams is a far better right tackle than Bruce Campbell is a left tackle.

BigBanger
12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
People are all so down on Trent Williams because he had a bad season as a left tackle. Fact is, he's still an excellent right tackle prospect. Trent Williams is a far better right tackle than Bruce Campbell is a left tackle.
Trent Williams is not as good as Eben Britton. He's not as strong at the point of attack and his foot speed is below average. Britton has the toughness and technique to make up for his limitations. Williams looks lackadaisical when he's on the field. Add that with sluggish feet and average technique? And we're not talking about a very good football player. All this top 15 talk is garbage. He isn't, never was and never will be.

Campbell looks worse than dog ****. If he was getting second round talk, that would make me sick. First round? Holy ****. Just goes to show how terrible you can be on the field and people wont notice.

Duane Brown was actually good in college, and he's pretty solid in the pros (great run blocker and fits that zone scheme very well). They're not at all similar though. One was very athletic (Brown) and the other is really big and athletic for his size -- meaning he's an average athlete that's really tall, long and heavy. People equate the latter to a freak, which he's not. He has a better chance of being a bust than even a mild success.

ThePudge
12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Trent Williams is not as good as Eben Britton. He's not as strong at the point of attack and his foot speed is below average. Britton has the toughness and technique to make up for his limitations. Williams looks lackadaisical when he's on the field. Add that with sluggish feet and average technique? And we're not talking about a very good football player. All this top 15 talk is garbage. He isn't, never was and never will be.

Campbell looks worse than dog ****. If he was getting second round talk, that would make me sick. First round? Holy ****. Just goes to show how terrible you can be on the field and people wont notice.

Duane Brown was actually good in college, and he's pretty solid in the pros (great run blocker and fits that zone scheme very well). They're not at all similar though. One was very athletic (Brown) and the other is really big and athletic for his size -- meaning he's an average athlete that's really tall, long and heavy. People equate the latter to a freak, which he's not. He has a better chance of being a bust than even a mild success.

Campbell at 6'5 1/2 310 running a 4.82 and benching 490+ would be just slightly above average. He also is built, toned, and just an overall physical specimen. He's eye candy for NFL scouts and coaches, whether you can see around your personal opinion or not. I would agree that he's definitely not there as a player, and no one is saying he is. His coaches loved him at Maryland, he played "ok" there, and has enough to be considered in the first round mix. Whether you would personally take him in the first or second round really is irrelevant considering it's more than likely he'll fit into the first or early second day.

Eben Britton had short arms and has serious issues letting defenders get under him and get into his body, as well as possessing average foot quickness. Trent Williams, a thicker, more explosive, longer-limbed player has a real chance to excel at Right Tackle, like he did a year ago. Williams' stock isn't nearly as low as some are letting on and there's a very good reason why he's stayed near the top of many boards. At 6'5 318, with loads of experience, an improved football IQ, explosiveness and power in the run game, and overall tremendous physical ability, he's going to get his shot earlier rather than later. He struggled at Left Tackle, but still is a hell of a Right Tackle prospect. He is... and was, a good player and you may be very sad on draft day when all these crappy players go in the first round.

billsfootball15
12-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Here's what I think at the Tackle Position:
1. Okung - Ok St.
2. Davis - Rutgers
3. Campbell - Maryland
4. Williams - Oklahoma
5. Bulaga - Iowa

D-Unit
12-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I used to be high on Campbell, but I'm with BigBanger. Why anyone would care about his 40 time is beyond me. I don't like the way he defends or run blocks. He doesn't have the kind of strong ox like legs that drives defenders and he almost plays top heavy. NFL speed rushers would work him even though he has athleticsm in his feet. His technique is so terrible that it almost seems like he doesn't care. I can see him getting in the doghouse fast. Buyer Beware. Could be fantastic if developed right and brought along slowly but don't expect a lot coming out of the gate.

My favorite Tackle is Charles Brown, who no one talks about.

phlysac
12-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Am I off my rocker for seeing alot of similarities between Bruce Campbell and Sebastian Vollmer?

SuperKevin
12-18-2009, 10:13 PM
He's going to have the biggest learning curve and adjustment time of the major OT prospects but his potential will make it worth it to some teams. I see him as a viable pick in Buffalo since he has some similarities to Langston Walker, who was solid in Buffalo.

ElectricEye
12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.girlpants.org/manpants/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bruce_campbell_evildead.jpg

Automatically a sentimental favorite.

Bosanac01
12-19-2009, 04:11 AM
Bruce Campbell will have the best NFL career of any lineman in this draft. His stock will rise fast come draft day. Just great size, amazing talent, and that nastiness about him is crazy!!

RealityCheck
12-19-2009, 05:26 AM
I'd say he's on a three-way tie at #2 with Williams and Davis.

Day One Pick
12-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Russell Okung
Anthony Davis
Bryan Bulaga
Bruce Campbell
Jason Fox

I've seen Campbell in the top 10 of some mocks, he doesn't belong there. I do think he'll probably go in the first round (20's somewhere). Packers maybe?

He a raw freak who at this point looks the part but will probably need a year or two to develope. He's a Maryland prospect, so expect an impressive combine from him.

He'll probably get drafted 20 spots later than he would have in the 2011 draft. Provided his senior season went well.

nepg
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
OL is one of the positions in the draft where potential is more important than the college resume (which is almost useless), imo. And the way teams draft reflects this notion. That puts Campbell in the Top 15 range pretty easily.

ThePudge
12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
OL is one of the positions in the draft where potential is more important than the college resume (which is almost useless), imo. And the way teams draft reflects this notion. That puts Campbell in the Top 15 range pretty easily.

I can't necessarily agree there, though I think you touched on a decent point. Well decorated interior Offensive Linemen don't usually translate effectively to the NFL. A successful OT in college isn't necessarily a good prospect, but it certainly helps to have a solid-spectacular career resume. I can't remember any OL nearly as raw as Bruce Campbell being drafted in the Top 15. I agree that his upside is staggering considering his sheer size, athleticism, and his nastiness which is as valuable an OT tool as as any.

A cross between Demetrius Bell and Sebastian Vollmer as prospects with some added physical tools, and big conference exposure. He has a ways to go to be considered a unanimous first round pick, but he'll have every chance to prove himself (for draft stock) in February.

D-Unit
12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
I can't necessarily agree there, though I think you touched on a decent point. Well decorated interior Offensive Linemen don't usually translate effectively to the NFL. A successful OT in college isn't necessarily a good prospect, but it certainly helps to have a solid-spectacular career resume. I can't remember any OL nearly as raw as Bruce Campbell being drafted in the Top 15. I agree that his upside is staggering considering his sheer size, athleticism, and his nastiness which is as valuable an OT tool as as any.

A cross between Demetrius Bell and Sebastian Vollmer as prospects with some added physical tools, and big conference exposure. He has a ways to go to be considered a unanimous first round pick, but he'll have every chance to prove himself (for draft stock) in February.
I don't get that at all.

SuperKevin
12-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Langston Walker is a good comparison for Campbell? Sure Campbell is much more athletic but their builds and strengths in the running game while having questions in pass protection lead to a solid comparison

TACKLE
12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I'll say a poor man's Winston Justice.

Babylon
12-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I'll say a poor man's Winston Justice.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

TACKLE
12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Campbell is a poor run blocker and plays really high. Physically, he is similar to Justice and like Justice he can be effective in pass pro because of his athleticism and long arms.

ThePudge
12-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't get that at all.

Both were raw physical specimens who hadn't put it together on the field as prospects. Bell was a raw, big, long-limbed, athletic LT prospect out of Northwestern State who hadn't put it together on the field and dominated like he should. His level of competition, unrefined technique, and lack of core strength and upper body strength really held him back. Vollmer, another raw physically gifted prospect possessed little experience, but an NFL body type, athleticism, nimble feet (ahead of Campbell), and some real strength and power. His struggles as a prospect were his inexperience, football IQ, and occasionally lax technique. It was a lazy comparison, far from perfect, but I've never been really a comparison guy anyway. Everyone is their own player.

If I were to compare his game to a current NFL player, it'd be a young Winston Justice as someone said before. Justice was not near ready even during his second year in the NFL, and I see Campbell as similar there.

redbills
12-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Both were raw physical specimens who hadn't put it together on the field as prospects. Bell was a raw, big, long-limbed, athletic LT prospect out of Northwestern State who hadn't put it together on the field and dominated like he should. His level of competition, unrefined technique, and lack of core strength and upper body strength really held him back. Vollmer, another raw physically gifted prospect possessed little experience, but an NFL body type, athleticism, nimble feet (ahead of Campbell), and some real strength and power. His struggles as a prospect were his inexperience, football IQ, and occasionally lax technique. It was a lazy comparison, far from perfect, but I've never been really a comparison guy anyway. Everyone is their own player.

If I were to compare his game to a current NFL player, it'd be a young Winston Justice as someone said before. Justice was not near ready even during his second year in the NFL, and I see Campbell as similar there.

D.Bell didn't start playing football till his Sr. year in high school or his fresh. year at Northwestern State. So saying he "hadn't put it together on the field and dominated like he should." Well maybe cuz he only played football for like 4 years had something to do with that.

ThePudge
12-19-2009, 07:51 PM
D.Bell didn't start playing football till his Sr. year in high school or his fresh. year at Northwestern State. So saying he "hadn't put it together on the field and dominated like he should." Well maybe cuz he only played football for like 4 years had something to do with that.

Yes, that's right. I believe Vollmer started playing around that same time as well, if not later. They hadn't fully put it together on the field. Bruce Campbell hasn't yet put it together on the field. Doesn't go to much further than that. As I said a lazy comparison with some similarities.

redbills
12-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I do agree they do compare as far as they are raw, athletic etc. To bad Bell hasn't been able to play the full 16 games, he was also hurt during camp.