PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis is Expected to Announce Decision to Enter NFL Draft

broncofan7
12-20-2009, 07:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4758405

Another talented tackle in the draft, I have him as my 3rd tackle and a first round pick.

JFLO
12-20-2009, 08:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4758405

Another talented tackle in the draft, I have him as my 3rd tackle and a first round pick.

expected...

He's my second best OT at this phase of the process and will be a Top Ten pick come April.

Russell Okung has almost locked up the spot as the #1 OT but Davis isn't too far behind him, loads of potential.

Scott Wright
12-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I love Anthony Davis,

There is a good chance he'll be my #2 OT.

Davis has more natural talent than Russell Okung.

ElectricEye
12-20-2009, 09:45 AM
The best middle ground between Bruce Campbell and Okung. He'll be a top twenty guy.

CC.SD
12-20-2009, 10:13 AM
I love Anthony Davis,

Yessss the seeds are sewn...

I actually think Okung is at best the 3rd OT in this class behind Davis and Bulaga as a RT. Bruce Campbell could surpass as well.

the_legend_killer
12-20-2009, 10:17 AM
On SportsCenter a few days ago McShay said that if Davis entered the draft he could make a run at being the top OT in the draft and a top-10 pick. Then again, that's McShay. But I could see him going there maybe, but top-20 seems more likely with a chance of top-10 with some good workouts.

TACKLE
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I love Anthony Davis,

Totally agree. Okung is more polished at this point but Davis definitely has a greater upside.

scottyboy
12-20-2009, 11:21 AM
:( :( :(

come on, OP, you couldn't wait until I made this thread :(

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/16569-1/AnthonyDavis.jpg

oh you will be missed Anthony

bored of education
12-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I really don't know how I feel about Davis. I thik he could be an absolute stud but sometimes I see him play he just sucks. His inconsistancies can be viewed as just progressing and learning though. he sucked a lot in the beginning of the year, but he shut down some very good pass rushers then went quiet a few games. He definatly has the talent to a be a stud though.

Babylon
12-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I really don't know how I feel about Davis. I thik he could be an absolute stud but sometimes I see him play he just sucks. His inconsistancies can be viewed as just progressing and learning though. he sucked a lot in the beginning of the year, but he shut down some very good pass rushers then went quiet a few games. He definatly has the talent to a be a stud though.

I've seen him look average on occasion also (they all do at some point). I think the risk really bad teams are going to run in this draft is to take a tackle real early. I like the depth and i'm not convinced yet that the player you can get in early round 2 is eventually going to be as good as one you would take early in round 1.

scottyboy
12-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Davis has had a below average year for him, but his previous work is nothing to scoff at, having outstanding frosh and soph years. but let's not forget, he's working with a ridiculously young O. The ground game is good, but looks not so hot at times due to our young RB's loving torun East and West, which will hurt our ground #'s at times. Also, a true freshman QB, who holds the ball WAY too long.
Davis' quick feet and mobility can't be overlooked at all. THey spotlighted him on a Sanu wildcat TD run last night where he pulled and had the sealing block.(or it was the run Sanu got tripped at the 1, but still). He's got great mobility for someone that massive. Yeah, the "weight concerns" will come up, but he was over weight for one year. Then he lost it. Big deal. If it happens at the combine and he's over weight, then ok, something may be a red flag, but he gets a pass. He's single handedly shut down some of the best pass rushers in the Big East and the C-USA DPOY last night. His potential is through the roof.

JRTPlaya21
12-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the Redskins :).

RaiderNation
12-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Hes my 2nd OT, could be a top 10 pick

Giantsfan1080
12-20-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't believe you couldn't wait for Scotty to make this thread. :) For real though Davis is going to shoot up the board as the draft gets closer and closer. Let's not forget Davis is only 20 years old right now and will probably be the youngest player in the NFL next year. He has so much potential it's scary.

descendency
12-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Yessss the seeds are sewn...

I actually think Okung is at best the 3rd OT in this class behind Davis and Bulaga as a RT. Bruce Campbell could surpass as well.

A RT doesn't go top 20 though, intentionally. (Unless the QB is left handed).

FUNBUNCHER
12-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Welcome to the Redskins :).

+1 and a brew, sir.

Borat
12-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I want him in SF ... badly.

essential
12-21-2009, 12:46 AM
I want him in SF ... badly.

finally the bills will be in front of SF and you won't be able to take a STUD right before us (Willis, Crabtree). Davis is my #1 OT, and I hope Okung goes first and the Bills get Davis around #7-9, wherever we end up.

ThePudge
12-21-2009, 09:09 AM
A RT doesn't go top 20 though, intentionally. (Unless the QB is left handed).

Andre Smith wasn't drafted to play LT, and that's 6th Overall. Michael Oher wasn't Top 20, just outside actually, but he was drafted to play RT opposite Jared Gaither. Right Tackle remains a very important position in the NFL. You may be able to find a good one in the 2nd-3rd, but teams have the opportunity to find a great one in the 1st.

That said, I think Anthony Davis is a Top 15 cinch at Left Tackle, though may play on the right side if the team drafting him has an established starter at LT.

RealityCheck
12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
He goes to Oakland, Buffalo or Arizona imo.

RealityCheck
12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4765128

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Saying the NFL "has been in my heart for a while," Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis is skipping his senior season and entering the draft.

"It's always been in the back of my head and now that the opportunity is here, I sat down with my coaches and my family and we decided that this my best move," said Davis, who has been projected as a first-round pick.

Some experts have slotted Davis as the third-rated draft-eligible offensive tackle prospect behind Oklahoma State's Russell Okung and Oklahoma's Trent Williams.

Sorry, somehow didn't notice it. My bad.

Cicero
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Behind Trent Williams? Not on my board.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Behind Trent Williams? Not on my board.

Not mine either and I like Williams more than most.

#1 #1 #1

Babylon
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
He goes to Oakland, Buffalo or Arizona imo.

Add Seattle, their O-line is so messed up they may have to grab a tackle there even with a Taylor Mays on the board.

Jonny
12-22-2009, 07:26 PM
The problem with Davis is that he just didn't care at all this year and went through the motions. He has NFL stud written all over him and knew it.

SwagU
12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I really hope he comes out, as of right now he is my 2nd OT but I dont have him that far behind Okung. Davis looks pretty good on tape, I was really impressed on how he seals the edge on speedy pass rushers so well. If he comes out guaranteed a top 15 pick, would love to see my Raiders take him.

RaiderNation
12-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Id love him in Oakland too. Move Henderson to RT

SwagU
12-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Id love him in Oakland too. Move Henderson to RT

Totally agree, I always thought Henderson was too slow and unathletic to play LT. Davis would shut that blind spot down nicely for our QB and open up lanes for our backs way better then Henderson for sure. I think a duo of Green and Henderson would be pretty good at RT though.

Thumper
12-22-2009, 08:11 PM
He is the best offensive tackle in this draft, he is the next Andre Smith, Shawn Andrews and Jason Peters. He is huge and has great technique and fantastic feet. Plus, he is versatile and can play 4 of 5 offensive line spots. And, IMO he has much more upside than Okung or Bulaga.

Hurricanes25
12-22-2009, 08:16 PM
He is the best offensive tackle in this draft, he is the next Andre Smith, Shawn Andrews and Jason Peters. He is huge and has great technique and fantastic feet. Plus, he is versatile and can play 4 of 5 offensive line spots. And, IMO he has much more upside than Okung or Bulaga.

The fact that he can play 4 of the 5 offensive line spots gives him more value imo. It's one of the most underrated things when evaluating offensive linemen. If he doesn't work out at LT, you can move him to Rt or inside to guard. It's a nice luxury to have.

Babylon
12-22-2009, 10:42 PM

The problem there is no one is saying he is the next Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady or Jake Long. This class is shaping up as average.

superman8456
12-22-2009, 10:45 PM
The problem there is no one is saying he is the next Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady or Jake Long. This class is shaping up as average.

No ones saying that because Jake Long, Ryan Clady, and Joe Thomas were all on a level where they could step in on day 1 and continue the dominance they displaying in college. Most of the tackles in this class are going to have some growing pains.

brat316
12-22-2009, 10:57 PM
What about Trent Williams?

scottyboy
12-22-2009, 11:51 PM

eww. how dare you insult Anthony Davis.
Mark this down, he'll be the best OT from this class by FAR.

Thumper
12-22-2009, 11:52 PM
eww. how dare you insult Anthony Davis.
Mark this down, he'll be the best OT from this class by FAR.

Hey, Shawn Andrews was one of the best offensive guards in the NFL definitely top 3 and Jason Peters has been lockdown for the most part this season and is the best run blocker from the LT spot.

scottyboy
12-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey, Shawn Andrews was one of the best offensive guards in the NFL definitely top 3 and Jason Peters has been lockdown for the most part this season and is the best run blocker from the LT spot.

Shawn Andrews WAS good. for like, 2 seasons. then he turned all rudy cool, emotional and sucks/injured.

Peters was good in Buffalo until he sucked balls, and now is average and being defended by an Eagle fan.

Davis is much better than them and will have a MUCH better career. His talent and potential is just crazy. There's something special about this kid, and I really mean it. Tomorrow I'll do a write-up with his strengths and weaknesses, really breaking him down. This kid, I feel, has Orlando Pace potential. no joke at all.

brat316
12-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Peters is monster in the run blocking, gets up field really quick. In pass block, he is average to a little above average.

vidae
12-23-2009, 01:25 AM
I've been on the Eric Berry/Rolando McClain bandwagon for a while now (I'd prefer McClain, but either would do I suppose) and have been pretty adamant about not taking an OT in the first, but if we took Davis in the first I'd not only agree with the pick but really like it as well.

brat316
12-23-2009, 02:05 AM
Davis should only be the first OT taken in the right situation. Some teams like the lions, Tampa, who ever else needs a starter right away would be better of with Okong.

But if you have a little time to sit him or start him on the opposite side and let him work in then by all means he should be the first one off the board.

Its all depends on the situation, he is good and probably has the most potential but he needs some time to develop or he is gonna be up and down like Branden Albert. Given Davis has more experience at LT then Albert, but I think both can be compared pretty equally.