PDA

View Full Version : Rankings Updated

Scott Wright
12-21-2009, 09:07 AM
It's been awhile since I last updated my player rankings so after working on them all weekend here are the final results. There are now 350 seniors included, along with Sleepers, Overrated / Underrated and a Top 100 Overall. I'll incorporate underclassmen after the deadline next month.

Scott's Wright's 2010 NFL Draft Rankings
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

princefielder28
12-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Just skimming over it, looks pretty good there Scott. I'm curious to know why Tebow sits at the #1 QB and LeFevour sits at #9. Their skill sets are similar but what's the reason(s) for the gap?

DiG
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
A lot of boards that I've seen have had Trent Williams falling more towards the end of the season based on the idea that he is more suited as a RT at the NFL level. It's interesting that he has stayed in the top 5 in your senior ranking still.

Curious, where was Iupati in your previous rankings? Is he one of the biggest risers?

Scotty is going to LOVE seeing D'Imporio on your underrated list.

Daryll Clark is a guy also that is interesting to see so high on your qb rankings. I have to admit I dont much about the guy probably because hardly anyone talks about him. I'll have to do some research.

Scott Wright
12-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Just skimming over it, looks pretty good there Scott. I'm curious to know why Tebow sits at the #1 QB and LeFevour sits at #9. Their skill sets are similar but what's the reason(s) for the gap?

I went back and forth on my #1 and #2 quarterback slots...

I gave the slight edge to Tebow for a couple of reasons:

1) The more I see of McCoy the less I like him. He was exposed by an NFL style defense / scheme against Nebraska and I have a feeling it's going to be even worse against Alabama.

2) Even if Tebow can't play quarterback he can still help a team in a number of other ways. Tight End. Fullback. H-Back. Wildcat. If McCoy doesn't pan out at quarterback you got nothing.

As for LeFevour, I have maintained all along that he's a great college player but very overrated as a pro prospect. In fact, he may be this year's Graham Harrell. LeFevour and Tebow do share some similarities (size, spread offense, etc.) but LeFevour's arm strength is much worse, he hasn't faced SEC competition like Tebow has and his intangibles are inferior as well.

redbills
A lot of boards that I've seen have had Trent Williams falling more towards the end of the season based on the idea that he is more suited as a RT at the NFL level. It's interesting that he has stayed in the top 5 in your senior ranking still.

Curious, where was Iupati in your previous rankings? Is he one of the biggest risers?

don't think he changed the top 32.

edit: yea he did nevermind, I just looked at the top 10.

RealityCheck
Great job, Scott, keep up the good work.

redbills
12-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Why didn't you add the undercalssmen that declared?

Scott Wright
12-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Iupati was my #1 OG from the start and he only moved up about 10 spots in the overall. I have always been very high on him and he is a legit late 1st / early 2nd rounder in my book.

As for Williams, he may not be a left tackle in the pros but at the very least he is still a great right tackle prospect. Also, Williams is in my Top 5 overall now but once the underclassmen get factored in he'll likely drop 5-10 spots. Despite some struggles this year I still really like Williams.

DiG
12-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Iupati was my #1 OG from the start and he only moved up about 10 spots in the overall. I have always been very high on him.

As for Williams, he may not be a left tackle in the pros but at the very least he is still a great right tackle prospect. Also, Williams is in my Top 5 overall now but once the underclassmen get factored in he'll likely drop 5-10 spots. Despite some struggles this year I still really like Williams.

That makes sense. You have Iupati as your #1 OG but where do you think he would fall as an OT prospect?

Scott Wright
12-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Why didn't you add the undercalssmen that declared?

It's just too hard to add them one by one as they declare, especially once the floodgates open.

I have always added them all at once after the deadline.

ElectricEye
12-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm a bit curious why Charles Scott is still ranked above guys like Ben Tate and Montario Hardesty. Both of those guys won't have the oversized back/lack of speed concerns Scott has. Scott also hasn't shown that he's really all that durable through the years either. Hardesty and Tate are also superior receivers, from what I've seen as well. All of them are one year wonders, with the exception of perhaps Tate, but Scott has gone down a level while Hardesty and Tate have stepped it up.

Day One Pick
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I can appreciate your effort, but I doubt you want sugar coated feedback. I counted 9 prospects on your big board who I feel don't belong.

Mays and Williams both in the top 5 is puzzling to say the least. Remember all the hype Duke Robinson got last year? Think Duke Robinson when you think Trent Williams.

I really don't get calling Gearhart a FB and then putting him on your big board. If you truely believe he's a FB how could he carry enough value to be on your big board? Personally I see Gearhart as a mid 3rd to 4th round prospect in the mold of Brian Leonard. Leonard seems way more athletic and he's barely staying in the league.

You say Ducasse can play tackle or guard. It would be more realistic if it said he was a tackle who will have to play guard. 16th overall?

Do you think Patrick Robinson will get better in the NFL? Because right now he struggles to cover college receivers. He has some upside and physical ability, but to rank him 12th overall blows my mind. He looks like a late 2nd round pick at best, but probably falls into the mid 3rd.

Kyle Wilson, see Patrick Robinson but add he plays against less elite talent in the WAC. This is dubbed as a poor CB class and you have 3 senior CB's on your big board.

Tenth seems aweful high for Greg Hardy after this train wreck of a senior season. Same with Gresham. A TE in the top ten better have Vernon Davis type skill sets.

Selvish Capers 33rd? You do know he's a RT in WVU's gimmicky offense right? Not even a very good one. He's like a 4th or 5 round prospect.

D'Anthony Smith 46th? This guy always almost makes the play. He's just a step too late. Great effort guy, but about 2 steps behind in the NFL.

Sorry to disagree, I'm not trying to be harsh. Just trying to help out.

CashmoneyDrew
12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm a bit curious why Charles Scott is still ranked above guys like Ben Tate and Montario Hardesty. Both of those guys won't have the oversized back/lack of speed concerns Scott has. Scott also hasn't shown that he's really all that durable through the years either. Hardesty and Tate are also superior receivers, from what I've seen as well. All of them are one year wonders, with the exception of perhaps Tate, but Scott has gone down a level while Hardesty and Tate have stepped it up.

I agree. I can't speak for Tate as I didn't see him play but one game, but Montario Hardesty should be ahead of Scott IMO. He had an excellent year holding off the number one recruit in the nation and running behind an offensive line that included two six foot, 260 lb walk-ons and a converted TE freshman at right tackle. I would've liked to see what Hardesty could have done behind an o-line like Bama's.

Also, Scott why did Rico McCoy drop on your rankings? He had a really good year.

cajuncorey
12-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I can appreciate your effort, but I doubt you want sugar coated feedback. I counted 9 prospects on your big board who I feel don't belong.

Mays and Williams both in the top 5 is puzzling to say the least. Remember all the hype Duke Robinson got last year? Think Duke Robinson when you think Trent Williams.

I really don't get calling Gearhart a FB and then putting him on your big board. If you truely believe he's a FB how could he carry enough value to be on your big board? Personally I see Gearhart as a mid 3rd to 4th round prospect in the mold of Brian Leonard. Leonard seems way more athletic and he's barely staying in the league.

You say Ducasse can play tackle or guard. It would be more realistic if it said he was a tackle who will have to play guard. 16th overall?

Do you think Patrick Robinson will get better in the NFL? Because right now he struggles to cover college receivers. He has some upside and physical ability, but to rank him 12th overall blows my mind. He looks like a late 2nd round pick at best, but probably falls into the mid 3rd.

Kyle Wilson, see Patrick Robinson but add he plays against less elite talent in the WAC. This is dubbed as a poor CB class and you have 3 senior CB's on your big board.

Tenth seems aweful high for Greg Hardy after this train wreck of a senior season. Same with Gresham. A TE in the top ten better have Vernon Davis type skill sets.

Selvish Capers 33rd? You do know he's a RT in WVU's gimmicky offense right? Not even a very good one. He's like a 4th or 5 round prospect.

D'Anthony Smith 46th? This guy always almost makes the play. He's just a step too late. Great effort guy, but about 2 steps behind in the NFL.

Sorry to disagree, I'm not trying to be harsh. Just trying to help out.

i completly agree you got it correct broseph

Day One Pick
12-22-2009, 06:51 AM
i completly agree you got it correct broseph

Atleast someone addressed my post.

BigBanger
12-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Toby Gerhart shouldn't be on this if you're calling him a FB. It seems like you just threw his name, along with the two prospects ahead of him, on your board based purely on the fact that they are a household names. The NFL doesn't care about household name players in college and guys like Tebow, McCoy and Gerhart are average players at the next level, that is, if they reach their full potential and find themselves in the ideal situation.

Taylor Mays is a strong safety in the NFL. It's become abundantly clear that the guy has terrible instincts for the FS position and even worse ball skills.

I have a big problem with Trent Williams being called a more talented version of Jammal Brown (forget the where you have him on your board). Brown is/was much bigger / stronger with much better athletic ability and length. I have never seen Williams drive a defender 15 yards off the ball like Brown has. Williams looks slow (maybe magnified by playing out of position) on the left side, but what's gonna happen when he's on the right side in the NFL? Is he still going to look slow? I think that's a yes, and I think he's a third round RT prospect with almost no potential. Pretty much, what ya see is what ya gonna get. And I don't like what I see. He also looks lazy and his body language is piss poor.

I love CJ Spiller as much as the next guy, but I don't think he's a mid first round guy. If he goes to a ZBS, then I think he can be a successful runner, but I don't think he's anything more than a complementary back, which means, he's not a first rounder. Early second, and if I have the luxury, why not the first round? I just don't see the mid first round value in a "slash" player. I think he'll be a good player, but if he's not my stud #1 back, then I'd have trouble paying him all that money to be a backup.

I haven't watched years of Greg Hardy, but I know two things, he's always injured and he's always injured just enough to make him look bad. I hear all these great things about size/speed combo and then I watch him, and he's a complete ghost. I see no explosiveness, no toughness, no physicality, no nothing. Like Wooton, I've never seen the guy live up to the hype. Wooton looks extremely slow and unathletic. He's like a James Hardy type for DEs. Maybe that has something to do with his injury, but he was obviously playing too far away from the ball as a 43 DE and needs to kick inside at the next level, but even then, I don't how good he'll be. I haven't seen anything (aside from the measurables) from either of these two to warrant a late first / early second round grade. You add in the injuries, then I'm not touching either until round 3 and Wooton until round 4 or 5. I'll take a guy like Norwood, and without question Brandon Graham, since those guys are high motor guys that play balls-to-the-wall on every down. I could care less about their size (Norwood is a bigger concern since he's still very raw and doesn't really have a true position), but they seem to maximize their skill set.

AntoinCD
12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Taylor Mays is a horrible tackler and the last place he needs to be is in the box. He has the speed and athleticism to break up big plays from the free safety spot but lacks ball skills for INTs. Taylor Mays is not a strong safety IMO

eagles6606
12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
When he wants to, Taylor Mays can form tackle. This whole year Taylor Mays has been picked apart. But what people don't talk about is he has been a very productive player for 4 years and is having his best statistical season this year. Yes he needs some work in pass coverage, but thats why they have Dback coaches in the NFL. Mays is a physical freak, who has been a star at the college level, and has top notch intagibles. He is getting picked apart too much and should definately be a top 15 pick in the 2010 NFL draft.

jballa838
12-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Mays just throws his shoulder at people and hopes they fall down. I don't agree with him being #2 overall as a prospect, but I respect Scott enough to accept it.
CJ Spiller at 5 is amazing. Gamechanger at this level and the next level.
Kyle Wilson is a little underrated. Nobody threw at him over the past two years, for a very good reason.

And anyone remember when people were pissed about Jacob Hester being a FB in scott's rankings? What position does he play now in San Diego? thank you.

and finally Shipley over Alexander doesn't seem very logical. Especially when Shipley will run a 4.6 and just further the white WR stigma.

YAYareaRB
12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
McCoy could actually play 3-4 OLB because he knows what the QB is thinking

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Just a few notes:

1) Some of the racist e-mails I've gotten about Toby Gerhart and my opinion of him are just disgusting. It disturbs me to know there are people like that out there.

2) Keep in mind that my "Top 32" only includes seniors. In other words a guy who is #16 now will probably drop to the late-20's or early-30's once underclassmen are included. In my opinion there are only about ten senior prospects who carry legit first round grades.

3) BigBanger - Couldn't disagree with you more on Hardy. Even though he always seems to be banged up and playing at less than 100% he still consistently manages to make his presence felt. I've yet to watch Hardy play and not come away impressed. It's scary to think how good he could be when healthy.

BamaFalcon59
12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Scott, I see you have a couple of Virginia Tech. safties ranked (Kam, Morgan), but there is little doubt in my mind that Cody Grimm will get drafted. He played whip for us, but with his athleticism (very underrated) and lack of size (5'11 205) he likely moves to strong safety at the next level.

He likely ends up a special teams ace, but I'm sure he finds a spot on a team in any case. Had an amazing year for VT (99 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 5 PB, 5 PD, 7 FORCED FUMBLES), along with a great one last season splitting time (71 tackles, 14 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 1 PB, 1 PD, 2 FF).

Won't be a high pick, but he'll get in there. I could see him being a Coy Wire type player, not a regular starter, but he can line up at SS or LB and make plays while being a special teams ace.

scottyboy
12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
wooo Mccourty at 68!!!

SenorGato
12-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Vince Oghobaase is way better than the 16th best DT in this draft. Mullins?

Nice to see Mike Neal getting some love and starting his offseason rise. I like him better than Magee from last year.

Nice on the Colin Peek love, and I'd like to learn more about Asante at S.

These DE's will be fun to rank and re-rank in the offseason. There's just a ton of talent there.

griff2213
12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Patrick Robinson at #12???????? He can't cover anyone. Jeez.

jballa838
12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Scott, Matt Asiata the runningback from Utah is appealing for a 6th year of eligibility after getting hurt this year, and for some reason Utah always wins these cases.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Scott what do you think of Earl Mitchell former H-Back now DT? Reminds me a little bit of Brodrick Bunkley size/athletic wise.

I like the rankings for your top two corners(Robinson and Cox). I know there are not alot of Patrick Robinson fans here but there was no pass rush from FSU line this year which was the real problem.