PDA

View Full Version : Adams vs Carriker vs Anderson vs Bazuin

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Intro
There have been a lot of talks lately about these 4 players. Many feel Gaines Adams is the pick, with his outstanding pass-rush skill... some feel we should take Carriker the Giant, for his size and run support... some feel Anderson, with his ability to do both, is the best pick... and some feel, from what they've heard from the coaches, that Bazuin is a 3rd round pass-rushing option and a "Marinelli-guy". I figured I'd post the scouting reports of each and leave the rest open for discussion.

First, the strengths:

Gaines Adams
An outstanding athlete...Extremely quick and agile with very good speed...Has a tremendous first step and a great burst to close...Has very long arms and uses his hands well...Has the frame to get bigger and develop physically...Looks fluid when dropping into coverage...A terror in opponents backfields and just seems to have a knack for getting to the quarterback...Productive and disruptive...Versatile and also has the ability to play outside linebacker for a 3-4 team at the pro level.

Adam Carriker
Has outstanding size and a big frame...Has tremendous strength and is extremely powerful...Holds his ground and is exceptional against the run...Has a motor that never stops...Solid tackler...Instinctive and pursues well...Is technically sound and uses his hands well...Is versatile and could play a number of different roles and positions...Very productive...Tough guy and a hard worker with great intangibles.

Jamaal Anderson
Has great size with a large frame and long arms...A smooth athlete with excellent agility...Strong and powerful...Terrific pass rusher who can be effective with either a bull-rush or finesse moves...Does a quality job versus the run...Motor runs non-stop...Very good in pursuit and has a burst to close...Is versatile and could play a number of different roles depending on the scheme he is in...Has a ton of upside.

Dan "Buzz" Bazuin
Aggressive and has an outstanding motor...Decent athlete with adequate timed speed and good quickness...Has a terrific first step and great anticipation...Good in pursuit and has a burst to close...Instinctive and always around the action...Is smart and a hard worker with top-notch intangibles...Just has a knack for making plays in the backfield and was extraordinarily productive throughout his career.

Then, the weaknesses:

Gaines Adams
Does not have the ideal bulk you look for and needs to add some weight...Does not play the run nearly as well as he does the pass...Needs to get stronger...Can play with better pad level and leverage...Struggles when blockers are able to lock on...Might be a bit of a DE / OLB 'tweener...Becomes somewhat one-dimensional at times...Will get overly aggressive and run himself out of plays...Intelligence???

Adam Carriker
Is not overly athletic and lacks great timed speed...A DE / DT 'tweener...He might be too tall and has trouble protecting his lower body...Is not a great natural pass rusher...Is not explosive and doesn't have a burst to close...Has battled through a series of minor injuries during his career...May not be a good fit for every team.

Jamaal Anderson
Does not have a lot of starting experience...Timed speed and quickness are good but not great...Still pretty raw and will need some technique work...Will play too high and needs to display more consistent leverage...He will struggle to separate from blocks at times...You could run the risk that he is simply a one-year wonder.

Dan "Buzz" Bazuin
A bit undersized...Is not very stout against the run...Lacks elite agility and change of direction skills...Has some trouble disengaging from blocks...Can use his hands and play with better leverage...Can be overaggressive at times...He'll miss some tackles and run himself out of plays...Didn't always play against top competition.

My Take
If the coaches feel that DE should be drafted in the first round, i'll have to side with "Iamcanadian" on this one and say GAdams should be the pick. Yes, Carriker and Anderson offer more against the run, but the Cover 2 is successful from the pressure the DLine creates. Many feel that Adams is "too small" to play DE in the NFL, but I disagree. He has the frame to grow and has the talent to succeed.

If the Lions can manage to trade down (to #5, for example), they can then package their picks and try to move back into the 1st round to fill another need (for say, Patrick Willis). Leaving this draft with GAdams AND PWillis will give our team two playmakers at two important positions... the Dwight Freeney and Brian Urlacher that our defense needs.

If we leave round 1 without a DE, Bazuin has to be the pick in round 3. If the coaches feel that he can come in and dominate, that leaves the first two rounds open to fill different needs (OL, WR, MLB or CB).

So, that's my take. If we stay in round 1, Adams should be the pick. But, if we leave round 1 without a DE, Bazuin should be grabbed in round 3. Either way, we're headed for a great draft this year.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-12-2007, 08:18 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/carriker_adam
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/adams_gaines
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/anderson_jamaal
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/bazuin_dan

My pick is Jamaal Anderson. Anderson is Gaines Adams with the size already. He is taller than Adams and has 20 lbs on him. Anderson can still get to the quarterback and if taught some technique by one of the best in Marinelli he should excel against the run as well. The Lions were actually pretty good against the run last year until Rogers, Cody and James Hall went down and that had a lot to do with Marinelli. Adams had a 4th round grade last year if he came out early from the interview I read on Espn. Anderson is coming out early and has a Top 10 grade. Anderson played some on the Right side of the line which is what we need because I think Kalimba and White would be on the left side of the line to be an edge rusher due to their smaller size. Since we have two smaller D-Ends already I would prefer Anderson because he still has pass rush ability but is larger. Anderson played against a little better competition in my opinion in the SEC as well. Also Anderson is an honor roll student which lead me to believe high character guy. Adams one weakness is intelligence. My opinion could change based on Anderson's pro day if he has really poor numbers but right now, trade down and get Jamaal Anderson.

JPLUFF
03-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I like Carriker's potential to play everywhere on the line, but playing a cover 2 it should be Adams. If we end up with any of the choices though I wouldn't mind.

asmitty45
03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Love carriker's versatility, he's also so massive that he not only gets to the passer but can stuff the run, in the end i think he'll be the best DE in this draft

detroit4life
03-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Carriker will not be drafted by the lions. Lookat his scouting report now im not saying that means everything but his weakness is pass rushing the one thing a DE in this system needs. Adams will be the pick over Anderson but i wouldn't mind either. The fact is Adams fits the cover 2 anderson could mayb fit the system but isn't the ideal fit and Im pretty sure Marinelli will take the player that fits over the player that might fit

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Carriker will not be drafted by the lions. Lookat his scouting report now im not saying that means everything but his weakness is pass rushing the one thing a DE in this system needs. Adams will be the pick over Anderson but i wouldn't mind either. The fact is Adams fits the cover 2 anderson could mayb fit the system but isn't the ideal fit and Im pretty sure Marinelli will take the player that fits over the player that might fitAgree completely... I was thinking the same thing. We can't draft a player, regardless of how good he is, if he doesn't fit the scheme. Anderson seems to have more upside and gives better run support, but Adams is faster and more athletic. I also think there's a greater chance that Anderson may struggle in the NFL (due to his lack of experience), but he, of course, could prove that wrong.

I really think that, if we draft a 1st round DE, it should be Adams. Take the player that fits the system the best and go with it.

Jagonsucker
03-12-2007, 01:28 PM
I think we should really focus on trading down and getting Willis yo know?

Severe Punishment
03-12-2007, 01:40 PM
A trade down with the Vikes (we'll give ya Marcus Johnson who can play RT) to swap spots with ya...you can take P-Willis and get a starting RT all in 1 shot....
We get Calvin Johnson and the world is a better place.

what do ya say :)

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
A trade down with the Vikes (we'll give ya Marcus Johnson who can play RT) to swap spots with ya...you can take P-Willis and get a starting RT all in 1 shot....

what do ya say :)Hmm...

What's the full trade? Your 1st, Marcus Johnson and what?

I think we should really focus on trading down and getting Willis yo know?I want Willis (as everyone knows)... but Iamcanadian brought up a good point: why not move down a few spots, draft GAdams, then use some of the picks to move back up and draft Willis? That way, we fill two huge needs with a few picks, and still have picks left in the mid-late rounds to add impact players.

I really want Willis... but, if we can get both Adams and Willis, I think the team would be better off.

Severe Punishment
03-12-2007, 02:46 PM
How about a conditional 3rd next year to go along...you're getting
a starting RT , ability to draft patrick Willis for less and a 3rd rounder.

All we'd get is to move up 5 spots :D.....sound good ?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-12-2007, 02:49 PM
No way I would ever want to trade with the Vikings, Packers or Bears and give them a Top 5 pick. To see Calvin Johnson in a purple uniform would make me sick. Marcus Johnson is no better, no worse than George Foster. If Millen did something like this I would lose it.

LIONHE4RT
03-12-2007, 03:42 PM

Give us Hutchinson instead of Johnson and we'll take it!

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Depends if we can deal down or not. I don't want a DE at 2, so if we go in another direction in round one, then I am all for Bazuin in the third, and another DE in the 4th or 5th as well.

If we deal down, I suppose I'd be alright with Gaines, but I am still skeptical of his abilities. I think he is a fairly high bust factor. I love Carriker, but he doesn't fit our defense very well. Too bad. Anderson is good if we deal down past 5.

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
How about a conditional 3rd next year to go along...you're getting
a starting RT , ability to draft patrick Willis for less and a 3rd rounder.

All we'd get is to move up 5 spots :D.....sound good ?
No deal. Johnson isn't worth it.

Depends if we can deal down or not. I don't want a DE at 2, so if we go in another direction in round one, then I am all for Bazuin in the third, and another DE in the 4th or 5th as well.

If we deal down, I suppose I'd be alright with Gaines, but I am still skeptical of his abilities. I think he is a fairly high bust factor. I love Carriker, but he doesn't fit our defense very well. Too bad. Anderson is good if we deal down past 5.I'd love to deal down, fill a different need and draft Bazuin... but i'm beginning to think that we shouldn't pass on GAdams. Moving down and moving back up seems to be a great move in this draft.

Whatever happens, it'll be the right move. But, if we draft a first round DE, I still feel it should be Gaines Adams.

WMD
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I'd like to see Victor Abiamiri thrown into the mix too...

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I'd like to see Victor Abiamiri thrown into the mix too...Yes... very much so. I consider him a 2nd round pick... which is why I didn't include him. If we draft a 1st round DE, it'll be one of the three listed (Adams/Anderson/Carriker). If we DON'T, I think they'll be relying on Bazuin in round 3.

If they trade down and fill other holes, he may be one of the 2nd round targets.

Man... we've got a lot of options in this draft.

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Yes... very much so. I consider him a 2nd round pick... which is why I didn't include him. If we draft a 1st day DE, it'll be one of the three listed (Adams/Anderson/Carriker). If we DON'T, I think they'll be relying on Bazuin in round 3.

If they trade down and fill other holes, he may be one of the 2nd round targets.

Man... we've got a lot of options in this draft.

Round three is Day One . . . :confused: lol

detroit4life
03-12-2007, 05:59 PM

yeah right and have to face CJ twice a year...u'd have to give up your entire draft to move up with us

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Round three is Day One . . . :confused: lolEeeeedited. Meant, of course, "1st round".

Severe Punishment
03-13-2007, 12:33 AM
C'mon...Marcus Johnson is young...he can change ! :D