PDA

View Full Version : Major Wright...overrated/underrated?

foozball
12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on Major Wright? Solid size/speed combo with a reputation as a big hitter. But what about his ballskills/coverage ability? And why are his stats down so much this year? Are his abilities masked by UFs awesome defense?

broncofan7
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I think he's a little under-rated due to the fact that I never hear his name mentioned when people discuss safeties.

He has the talent, and I originally had him potentially as a first round prospect but his numbers have declined a bit this year (I haven't seen a ton of Florida games so I can't answer the question why his numbers have dropped). He'll probably stay back another year and try to rebound off of his weak year.

Thumper
12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Overrated. He reminds me of Reggie Nelson way too much. He can hit with the best of them, that has been his trademark for as long as I can remember but my impression of him is that he kind of lacks awareness on the field. In some ways he seems like Brian Dawkins (size, hitting, temperament) but he doesn't measure up in the mentals aspect of the game. Also I think is a guy who has the problem that he is such a big hitter and he loves being known for that so he is always going for the big hit instead of just wrapping up (ala Reggie Nelson).

Also the reason his production is down is because he is on a rotation with Will Hill and Ahmad Black.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Reggie Nelson, Jarvis Moss and Derrick Harvey have all turned out to be Gator bums....Major Wright will too

PossibleCabbage
12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Definitely overrated. I'm not sure he should be a Captain, let alone a First Lieutenant. Not a bad prospect, but this is a good year for safeties and he really doesn't stand out.

murdamal86
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Reggie Nelson, Jarvis Moss and Derrick Harvey have all turned out to be Gator bums....Major Wright will too

so because previous players from one school have been bums, players in the future are doomed to? Stop it

to me he's a bit overrated though. He's a hard hitter but his coverage skills leaves a lot to be desired

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
so because previous players from one school have been bums, players in the future are doomed to? Stop it

to me he's a bit overrated though. He's a hard hitter but his coverage skills leaves a lot to be desired

Nah my man, I don't really believe that...I just hate the damn Gators, lol. But we both agree that Major Wright is overrated!

murdamal86
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Nah my man, I don't really believe that...I just hate the damn Gators, lol. But we both agree that Major Wright is overrated!

Lol I know you didn't, i was messing with you but I believe he's going to be a dude in the league. Watching him for the past 3 seasons, I have not seen much besides an occasional big hit to suggest that he's going to be able to stick with a slot wr or an athletic TE. Sadly he's a player I don't think an extra year is going to do him any good

yourfavestoner
01-11-2010, 04:58 PM
He's probably perfect where he's being looked at now: a mid-round pick. He was way overrated going into the season when people were calling him a first/second rounder and the third best safety in the class behind Berry and Mays.

He's ok in coverage, and his role in the scheme is very similar to Mays' as USC. He was making big strides in his coverage at the end of 2008 (when the entire defense was playing out of their minds) but sort of plateaud. He's the essential "jack of all trades" type player in that he does everything pretty well, but doesn't bring you any spectacular qualities, either.

Will Hill (the next Sean Taylor) is a big reason why none of the UF safeties had big numbers, as he basically rotated into both the FS and SS sports. On the flip side, Wright didn't really have to do much either, as he had two first round corners on the outside and a slew of first day picks in the front 7.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Let's be real Jarvis Moss has to count for at least 3x the bust of any normal bust, and Harvey might too. At least Reggie is just a regular bust. :D

yourfavestoner
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Let's be real Jarvis Moss has to count for at least 3x the bust of any normal bust, and Harvey might too. At least Reggie is just a regular bust. :D

Harvey>>>>>>>>Reggie

Reggie Nelson might be the worst safety I have ever seen. Ever.

regoob2
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Depends where you have him rated.

He's a 3rd rounder likely depending on how he works out. He has starting FS potential/athleticism.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Harvey>>>>>>>>Reggie

Yah but at least he wasn't chosen 8th overall. I remember throwing somethign at a wall when it came out AJ Smith had turned down a 1st from both TN and Dallas for Michael Turner, because I wanted Nelson so badly.

You know I have this safety fetish and it keeps backfiring on me...loved Laron Landry, loved Nelson, loved Thomas Davis (who is still a beast but not even a safety anymore). Sean Taylor really spoiled me. It's almost enough to make me question my undying love for Taylor Mays, but I'm lying right now.

yourfavestoner
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Depends where you have him rated.

He's a 3rd rounder likely depending on how he works out. He has starting FS potential/athleticism.

He projects to more of a SS for me in the NFL. I think his skillset fits much better coming down into the box, covering the hook/curl zones, and matching up with TEs. I always thought the UF coaching staff had things backwards with Black and Wright. Wright played FS by default after starting there his entire freshman season and getting used to making all the calls and being the quarterback of the secondary.

FUNBUNCHER
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Is Reggie Nelson that bad?? He was so instinctive in college!!! I don't watch many Jags games, I just thought he hadn't emerged in a big way yet, but I never thought he had a achieved bum status.

Tell you what, if the Jags were willing to trade Nelson for Landry straight up, if I were Skins GM Bruce Campbell I do that deal tonight.

BaLLiN
01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Harvey>>>>>>>>Reggie

CC Brown and Roy Williams say hi

murdamal86
01-11-2010, 06:44 PM

To this day, he says he regrets leaving early.

Hey at least Brandon Siler is looking good lol

murdamal86
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Is Reggie Nelson that bad?? He was so instinctive in college!!! I don't watch many Jags games, I just thought he hadn't emerged in a big way yet, but I never thought he had a achieved bum status.

Tell you what, if the Jags were willing to trade Nelson for Landry straight up, if I were Skins GM Bruce Campbell I do that deal tonight.

I would take Derrick Gibson in his current form where ever he's at right now over Reggie Nelson. That's how bad he's been

regoob2
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
He projects to more of a SS for me in the NFL. I think his skillset fits much better coming down into the box, covering the hook/curl zones, and matching up with TEs. I always thought the UF coaching staff had things backwards with Black and Wright. Wright played FS by default after starting there his entire freshman season and getting used to making all the calls and being the quarterback of the secondary.
I think with his lack of size he's going to have to play FS. I dont see him as a Bob Sanders caliber player.

Hines
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Will Hill is 100xs better than Wright IMO. That said, I think Wright is a lot like Ryan Clark.

The Linebacker
01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Actually, as a Jags fan, I'd just like to say, Nelson has no field awareness and takes terrible angles. He has all the physical skills in the world, so I'm hoping if they Jags can't get any trade value out of him, that they attempt to switch him to CB.

Harvey actually hasn't been bad at all. Played pretty well this year. He got the most QB pressures on the team (not really saying much, but still). Harvey was just drafted too high.

yourfavestoner
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Will Hill is 100xs better than Wright IMO. That said, I think Wright is a lot like Ryan Clark.

That's actually a really good comparison.

Thunder&Lightning
01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
what kinda prospect is he? 2nd round?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiTwOqReuJQ

P-L
01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
He's probably more of a mid-round prospect. Think 3rd-5th range.

BaLLiN
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
IMHO i think he'll be ok, probably a mid third rounder

yourfavestoner
01-13-2010, 12:46 PM
This thread was, like, ten spots down
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37295

SUP
01-14-2010, 08:16 AM
im a bigtime Gator Homer, and honestly, I dont see Major doing much in the NFL.

He is flat out bad in space. Fails to locate the ball, has passed us numerous shots at easy picks to instead go for a kill shot on the WR. Not a sure tackler, hits hard but doesnt always wrap up. I think part of him leaving is because Hill and Finley are coming on strong. Throw Black into the mix, and well, not a lot of snaps to be had.

I wish him all the best, and I will always remember the hit on Manny Johnson on the Opening drive for the NC. (probably could of made a play on the ball as well).

yourfavestoner
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
im a bigtime Gator Homer, and honestly, I dont see Major doing much in the NFL.

He is flat out bad in space. Fails to locate the ball, has passed us numerous shots at easy picks to instead go for a kill shot on the WR. Not a sure tackler, hits hard but doesnt always wrap up. I think part of him leaving is because Hill and Finley are coming on strong. Throw Black into the mix, and well, not a lot of snaps to be had.

I wish him all the best, and I will always remember the hit on Manny Johnson on the Opening drive for the NC. (probably could of made a play on the ball as well).

Yup, pretty much sums it up. I thought I'd see him take much bigger strides this year than he did.

Rosebud
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I like Wright, although I also liked Nelson. He very well may slip, but I think he could be a really good fit at SS for a team that has very similar safety roles. He has great range and tenacity who takes pretty good angles to the ball/ball career. He isn't a good at playing the ball in the air, but he's disruptive and can cover enough ground in coverage to not be a liability while also making a good impact coming forward. In late round two/round three I think he'll be a nice find for the right team.