PDA

View Full Version : Case Keenum=Drew Brees

Mr.KnowItAll
12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I really think he should come out this year. He has thrown over 40 tds each of the past two years so scouts know what there getting with him. He is pin-point passer with good mobility and a stronger arm then people give him credit for. This isn't as much of a dink and dunk offense as it used to be when Art Briles was head coach. Evidence of this is he has thrown 29 passes of 30+ yards which is second in the nation. With a good bowl game I can see him moving into the 2nd round.

Brent
12-22-2009, 10:34 AM
he's too short, and his arm isnt strong enough to be higher than a 4th rounder.

ElectricEye
12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
ITT; Every single spread quarterback under 6'3 is Drew Brees.

Shane P. Hallam
12-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I really think he should come out this year. He has thrown over 40 tds each of the past two years so scouts know what there getting with him. He is pin-point passer with good mobility and a stronger arm then people give him credit for. This isn't as much of a dink and dunk offense as it used to be when Art Briles was head coach. Evidence of this is he has thrown 29 passes of 30+ yards which is second in the nation. With a good bowl game I can see him moving into the 2nd round.

No. Case Keenum isn't an NFL QB IMO and is much more Graham Harrell than Drew Brees. Watch Keenum at Houston and watch Brees at Purdue. There is a HUGE difference. Keenum not only lacks height, but his arm strength is pretty terrible. I really don't think he can get the ball where it needs to go fast enough for the NFL.

Day One Pick
12-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I think he = Colt Brennan personally or maybe one of the many other Houston QB's to throw for a million yards.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I questioned how many have seen him play. Being in dallas I have seen two of his games this year. Houston isn't that much of a short spread passing game with new coach Kevin Sumlin there from OU. Definantly has a stronger arm then Colt Brennan.

Here is an article from Tony Pauline talking about the buzz surrounding Keenum in scouting circles.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/12/21/draft.bowl/1.html

ElectricEye
12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
I questioned how many have seen him play. Being in dallas I have seen two of his games this year. Houston isn't that much of a short spread passing game with new coach Kevin Sumlin there from OU. Definantly has a stronger arm then Colt Brennan.

Here is an article from Tony Pauline talking about the buzz surrounding Keenum in scouting circles.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/12/21/draft.bowl/1.html

I've seen him play against Oklahoma State, Memphis, and Southern Miss. He ain't no Drew Brees. I don't even think he's Kevin Kolb. This obviously is one of your first times at this rodeo. Just watch how it plays out.

redbills
12-22-2009, 11:04 AM
ITT; Every single spread quarterback under 6'3 is Drew Brees.

^^^^ this, every QB under 6'2 is Brees.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I've seen him play against Oklahoma State, Memphis, and Southern Miss. He ain't no Drew Brees. I don't even think he's Kevin Kolb. This obviously is one of your first times at this rodeo. Just watch how it plays out.

Drew Brees was in more of a spread offense under Joe Tiller then Keenum is under Sumlin. Brees is 6 ft while Keenum is listed at 6'2 but will probably measure at 6'1.5 They both are extremely accurate quaterbacks. You don't throw 29 passes of 30+ yards and have a terrible arm. They aren't 5 yard bubble screens were the wr breaks it these are down field throws.

With Kolb he had better size but his accuracy was not even close to Keenum and he was a second round pick.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Colt Brennan is the next Brees.

ThePudge
12-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Drew Brees was in more of a spread offense under Joe Tiller then Keenum is under Sumlin. Brees is 6 ft while Keenum is listed at 6'2 but will probably measure at 6'1.5 They both are extremely accurate quaterbacks. You don't throw 29 passes of 30+ yards and have a terrible arm. They aren't 5 yard bubble screens were the wr breaks it these are down field throws.

With Kolb he had better size but his accuracy was not even close to Keenum and he was a second round pick.

Kolb was very accurate, had more or less prototype size, and had an NFL arm, which is Keenum's #1 concern. Now, he was still considered a slight reach at the top of round two and probably could have fallen to the third if the Eagles hadn't drafted him to play in their WCO. Every team had their QB that year, for Philly it was Kolb, for Miami - John Beck, and Detroit's man was Drew Stanton.

Houston's offense simply consists of many bubble screens, and with those four/five receiver sets, finding single coverage is all too easy. Most of his big plays have been made after the catch, after he has found the open man. Though it's not a spot on comparison, I think he compares to Graham Harrell and has similar pro potential, which = not a whole lot. I don't see Keenum as a draftable prospect and due to his weak physical ability, coupled with inexperience under center, he's more likely to have to fight for a roster spot.

Remember, Drew Brees isn't the rule, he's the exception to the rule.

jimbo
12-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Saying every short QB is the next Drew Brees is like saying every 6th round QB is Tom Brady. They're both exceptions to the rule.