PDA

View Full Version : First Scouting Reports!

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Just finished my first scouting report of the year!

Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Brandon-Graham.php

This year I decided to separate the points with "---" rather than the usual "..."

I just felt like it made them pop out a little bit more. Hopefully you agree!

The goal is to have all of the confirmed Senior Bowl guys done (100) before I leave for Mobile, AL on January 23. In other words look for a bunch of these in the next month or so!

jballa838
12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I do like the --- over the ... . nice report too, i think he could end up being a very good 3-4 DE.

fear the elf
12-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I do like the --- over the ... . nice report too, i think he could end up being a very good 3-4 DE.

you mean OLB? He's about 40lbs shy of playing 3-4 DE don't you think?

ElectricEye
12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
It works fine. Nice writeup :) Excited about both Graham and more scouting reports.

Day One Pick
12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
All seems pretty fair and accurate to me. Nice job on this one. One thing I did notice though is the Round 2 or 3 part. Not sure if that's a typo. I think he's atleast a top 50 pick.

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
One thing I did notice though is the Round 2 or 3 part. Not sure if that's a typo. I think he's atleast a top 50 pick.

He's definitely on the high end of that "Round 2 / 3" grade.

The next grade up is just "1st Round". I wouldn't feel comfortable putting him in that category.

fear the elf
12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Top 50 would fall into Rd 2. That's just the breakdown, I believe prospects fall in one of these categories: Rd 1, Rd 2 - 3, Mid Rd, Late Rd - FA

jballa838
12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
you mean OLB? He's about 40lbs shy of playing 3-4 DE don't you think?
Him at 6'2 268 with his motor is big enough for a 3-4 i think. he plays with good leverage and can help out in the run. I don't think he is explosive enough to play 3-4 OLB, so really he's kind of a tweener. he could also play strongside de on some 4-3 teams, but I'm not the biggest fan of him as a pure pass rusher.

Day One Pick
12-22-2009, 11:04 AM

The next grade up is just "1st Round". I wouldn't feel comfortable putting him in that category.

I could see the 49ers taking him in the top 15. I see him as high as 10, 11, 12, wherever the 49ers pick and as low as about 50. Teams will have mixed reviews on him. If I had to wager money on where he gets drafted I'd put my money on him going in the 1st.

I really think the LaMarr Woodley comparison's will help him a lot. Woodley is already easily atleast the 5th best 3-4 OLB in the league. Personally I think he's the 3rd best.

Day One Pick
12-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Him at 6'2 268 with his motor is big enough for a 3-4 i think. he plays with good leverage and can help out in the run. I don't think he is explosive enough to play 3-4 OLB, so really he's kind of a tweener. he could also play strongside de on some 4-3 teams, but I'm not the biggest fan of him as a pure pass rusher.

Too short and not long enough arms to play 3-4 DE. There are some 3-4 DE's who are around 6-2 or 6-3, but they are certainly exceptions. He would only get a shot to play 3-4 DE if he was a later round pick. No team would go that far against the grain and spend a high pick on him to play 3-4 DE.

The ideal 3-4 DE is 6-5 290.

jballa838
12-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Too short and not long enough arms to play 3-4 DE. There are some 3-4 DE's who are around 6-2 or 6-3, but they are certainly exceptions. He would only get a shot to play 3-4 DE if he was a later round pick. No team would go that far against the grain and spend a high pick on him to play 3-4 DE.

wasn't chris long 6'3 270? and wasn't he picked 2nd overall to play 3-4 DE?

ElectricEye
12-22-2009, 11:13 AM

More like 6'6 310. Richard Seymour is the absolute prototype for the position in the modern day game. 6'5 290 is good size, but yeah. I agree with your point though. Don't think Graham is suited for being a 3-4 DE at all.

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
wasn't chris long 6'3 270? and wasn't he picked 2nd overall to play 3-4 DE?

Chris Long was viewed as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB.

jballa838
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Alright then.. I stand corrected. Still like this guy as a 4-3 strongside defensive end.

Hurricanes25
12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Great write-up. I just have 1 question. Do you pick players at random or do you have some sort of order? (In terms of scouting reports)

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Here is #2:

Ciron Black, OT, L.S.U.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Ciron-Black.php

As for the order, I am obviously doing the Senior Bowl invites first but I basically just do whoever interests me the most at the time. No rhyme or reason to the order.

Day One Pick
12-22-2009, 12:17 PM

To add to that, his coach Al Groh publicly said he would "wear down at 3-4 DE."

Cigaro
12-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Like the '---' change. Overall, like the report.

AntoinCD
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Fully agree there on Ciron Black and I think he could have a big fall on draft day. How do you think at this point Joseph Barksdale stacks up against him and do you think he should declare?

descendency
12-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Scott... you didn't put Brandon Graham in the top 5 overall??? Big 10 fans are going to riot.

Good report in my opinion.

edit: Ciron Black is a mid round guard in my opinion. His footwork is painful to watch.

the --- definitely works better.

killxswitch
12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
The --- are way better.

Glad to see these going up. This should be a fun draft.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Graham is my super secret dream pick in the 2nd round to the Bolts. Please do not promote him any further.

cajuncorey
12-22-2009, 12:49 PM
To add to that, his coach Al Groh publicly said he would "wear down at 3-4 DE."

virginia runs a 3-4 and he played de at virginia thats why that dude thought he was drafted to play 3-4 de

descendency
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
virginia runs a 3-4 and he played de at virginia thats why that dude thought he was drafted to play 3-4 de

They run a composite 34 defense. He played some with his hand in the ground but it was always from outside of the TE. He occasionally lined up at RDE in a 43 position.

He was mainly an edge rusher (OLB in 34, DE in the 43).

edit: Similar to the one Bill Belichick was running in the pre-season and Rex Ryan ran in Baltimore.

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Here is #3:

Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Javier-Arenas.php

gpngc
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Black gets the job done. Of course he's not going to have great quickness or agility- he's gargantuan.

He'll be starting at RT for an NFL team next year at this time.

Good kid, smart, DURABLE, coachable. Improve the quickness, get the weight down a little, coach his hands- he can get even better.

Solid 2nd round pick IMO.

AntoinCD
12-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I know he has made some very big plays for 'Bama and his danger as a return man is huge but if he runs a 4.6 I don't see him going in the 2-3 range. I could see him as a faller.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Ciron Black a heavy footed waist bender...no shock there. He's not mobile enough to be a guard but I could see him finding success as a mauling RT somewhere.

ThePudge
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM

Scott, I'm not calling you out here, but I think you'll change your view on Graham (fairly dramatically) by the end of February. You'll be on hand in Mobile to watch him up close and personal and I think you're going to love what you see. Similar to Sedrick Ellis in 2008, or B.J. Raji a year ago, I think you're going to see Brandon Graham look like a man among boys by mid-week.

His strength, energy, and efficiency at Defensive End was impressive all season and I believe he'll show a different side of himself at the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine. We're talking about a guy that was a Linebacker in HS, moved to DE almost by necessity, and may be moving back to a more natural position at the NFL level. He's been listed as a workout warrior, despite the popular consensus being that he's a bit too short for DE and maybe a bit too slow for OLB. Rumor has it he's capable of running in the mid 4.6s and benching almost 500 pounds (475 confirmed). I'm not too much of a numbers guy, but his bench press number may turn some heads (strength+shorter arms.)

He'll need to show teams that he can run and change direction in coverage to fully reach his draft potential, but I think we'll find (a bit later on in the process) that coaches and scouts will fall in love with his play on the field, his effort/attitude/passion, and yes, his physical ability which I think will shock the draftniks and the casual fan.

As a prospect, I'm higher on him than former Purdue DE Anthony Spencer and former teammate LaMarr Woodley. Right now, I'm at the bold end of the Brandon Graham spectrum, grading him in the bottom half of the Top 15 (14th Overall on my board). This is not something where I'm telling you straight up you are wrong, that'd be stupid considering your position and the fact that we are early on in the process; but, it's a prediction that I feel fairly confident about.

He may not be the eye candy that Ricky Sapp is, or Jason Pierre-Paul is, but I think he'll attract a different type of evaluator. He's a gamer, a competitor, he's a football player, and he's going to shine in interviews (speculation). So basically, I'm going to call that Brandon Graham will be a Scott Wright favorite during Senior Bowl practices, and should end up in the first round in April.

edit: Definitely like the "---" You're right, it definitely makes each point pop a bit more. I think you found something that really works there and makes your evaluations easy to read and follow.

eagles6606
12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Some players are atheltes and some are football players. Brandon Graham is a football player

ThePudge
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Some players are atheltes and some are football players. Brandon Graham is a football player

I think he's an athlete and a football player. That's what I expect to surprise some.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1780323

- Just a high school scouting report. I don't put much value in them, but it has a couple interesting points. His report lists instincts (at ILB) as a big strength for him, and cites his ability to play sideline to sideline as well as downhill.

"Graham is arguably the best inside linebacker in the nation. Brandon is very aggressive and he has the ability to slip blocks in the box and make plays. Always arrives to the football in a nasty mood. Quick enough to play sideline-to-sidline. Very smooth and fluid in his footwork."

He's put on weight since he's gotten to college, but most of it is in sheer muscle mass. I think he'll 'wow' some people when he takes off his shirt in Mobile, then again in Indianapolis. His stock may be at the back half of the first-->second round right now, but as I said earlier, I expect him to be a man amongst boys at the Senior Bowl, he certainly was all year.

descendency
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
I think he's an athlete and a football player. That's what I expect to surprise some.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1780323

- Just a high school scouting report. I don't put much value in them, but it has a couple interesting points. His report lists instincts (at ILB) as a big strength for him, and cites his ability to play sideline to sideline as well as downhill.

"Graham is arguably the best inside linebacker in the nation. Brandon is very aggressive and he has the ability to slip blocks in the box and make plays. Always arrives to the football in a nasty mood. Quick enough to play sideline-to-sidline. Very smooth and fluid in his footwork."

He's put on weight since he's gotten to college, but most of it is in sheer muscle mass. I think he'll 'wow' some people when he takes off his shirt in Mobile, then again in Indianapolis. His stock may be at the back half of the first-->second round right now, but as I said earlier, I expect him to be a man amongst boys at the Senior Bowl, he certainly was all year.

I'd put him in the first to the Patriots if I thought he could play ILB in the NFL. If he can run 4.6 or 4.5 even I think he'll help his stock. I think most people are down on him because they don't think he can play DL (or jack linebacker) in the NFL. (I'm not saying they/we are not wrong)

edit: Similar to Tedy Bruschi.

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Here is another one!

Anthony Dixon, RB, Mississippi State
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/RB/Anthony-Dixon.php

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Scott hit on Graham's big problem which is that his frame might be maxed out already and that's tough to get away with in the first round unless you are Howie Long's son. I think he's going to be terrific but would rather see him rushing the passer than playing ILB, even in a 3-4 where he would still get plenty of blitzing opportunities.

Cigaro
12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
I think Anthony Dixon will be a decent steal. Should be a solid #2.

ironman4579
12-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd have to disagree with quite a few of the negatives on Graham. I think you'll see what kind of an athlete he is once he gets to the combine. Kiper has consistently called him a fantastic athlete, so there's definately a difference of opinion there (although Mel also has also called Obi Ezeh the 4th best junior MLB, so he may have slipped quietly into senility).

I would completely disagree with the "not explosive" and "lacks a burst" part of the evaluation. Graham might have the best first step of any DE in the draft. His explosion off the snap is incredible. I'd personally say you completely missed the boat on those negatives.

CJSchneider
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Just curious Scott, what decides the order you do these in?

vidae
12-22-2009, 05:55 PM
This is a fun time of year. I always look forward to these. This means it's getting close to draft day!

LonghornsLegend
12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Just curious Scott:

Do you think you'll finish with all the scouting reports of all the players by the time the Draft gets here? I know your doing this by yourself and you won't find any complaints from me or really anyone here, but I noticed those were some gripes from some outsiders that came through which was they were coming to find info about certain players but they didn't have a scouting report up until well after the draft.

It's certainly understandable trying to run this site on your own and having limited time, just felt I'd run it past you since people who don't frequently visit had that complaint and that seemed to be the only problem they had with the site.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
This is a fun time of year. I always look forward to these. This means it's getting close to draft day!

Yeah only 121 days!

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Just curious Scott:

Do you think you'll finish with all the scouting reports of all the players by the time the Draft gets here? I know your doing this by yourself and you won't find any complaints from me or really anyone here, but I noticed those were some gripes from some outsiders that came through which was they were coming to find info about certain players but they didn't have a scouting report up until well after the draft.

It's certainly understandable trying to run this site on your own and having limited time, just felt I'd run it past you since people who don't frequently visit had that complaint and that seemed to be the only problem they had with the site.

I had full scouting reports on every player in my rankings, 350+, done before Draft Day last year and will do so again this time around. Each one takes about an hour to input and format.

Scott Wright
12-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Last one for tonight:

Dekoda Watson, OLB, Florida State
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OLB/Dekoda-Watson.php

You will probably be able to tell by reading Watson's report that I'm a fan. He was actually right on the fringe of a 2 / 3 Star grade and he may get a bump before all is said and done.

fischbowl
12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Scott, I'm calling for Thomas Austin and Naaman Roosevelt next. World needs to know how freaking awesome they are

Hines
12-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Is Watson strictly a 43 LB? Could be play inside in a 34 with added weight?

Scott Wright
12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Is Watson strictly a 43 LB? Could be play inside in a 34 with added weight?

Strictly 4-3 in my opinion. Probably needs to be in a Tampa 2.

NIN1984
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Graham is one of the guys when you watch him play and you just know he is gonna be a good pro. if he falls to the 2nd, some team is gonna get a huge steal.

PickedOffTwice
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Here is #3:

Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Javier-Arenas.php

I don't want to nitpick here, since you probably got a lot to do right now. Just saying that you contradict yourself in this one:

The first Strength you state is "very athletic".

Then in the Weaknesses you state "Below average timed speed --- Is not a great leaper --- Will struggle to turn and run with speedy wide receivers downfield".

Scott Wright
12-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't want to nitpick here, since you probably got a lot to do right now. Just saying that you contradict yourself in this one:

The first Strength you state is "very athletic".

Then in the Weaknesses you state "Below average timed speed --- Is not a great leaper --- Will struggle to turn and run with speedy wide receivers downfield".

I guess that's fair but in my mind those things aren't mutually exclusive.

For example, Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins is a great athlete who was a stud in baseball, football and basketball in high school. However, I doubt he runs a 4.4 or has a 40-inch vert.

fischbowl
12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
I guess that's fair but in my mind those things aren't mutually exclusive.

For example, Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins is a great athlete who was a stud in baseball, football and basketball in high school. However, I doubt he runs a 4.4 or has a 40-inch vert.

Cretin Derham's own.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Last one for tonight:

Dekoda Watson, OLB, Florida State
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OLB/Dekoda-Watson.php

You will probably be able to tell by reading Watson's report that I'm a fan. He was actually right on the fringe of a 2 / 3 Star grade and he may get a bump before all is said and done.

I think he will be a steal for someone running a 4-3. Will test extremely well at the combine with his strength and speed.

STsACE
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM

He played DE in Michigans 3-4 this past year. He's big enough to play obvious passing downs as a 3-4 DE situationally. I'm really hoping he tries to knock off about 10lbs and tries to improve his quickness and 40 speed before the combine. He looks like one of the guys who doesn't quite fit a specific scheme, but if he lands with a team that has a creative DC, they could use him well at multiple positions. He does look eerily similar to Lamaar Woodley. If he lands on the right team, he could end up being a true stud.

Heres a little tidbit about Graham his freshman and sophmore year at Michigan. He was around 300 lbs if not over as freshman and he played between 280-290lbs as a sophmore. He could put on the extra weight and try to play there but he'd be nothing more than a situational pass rusher and probably move his stock to the later rounds.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/brandon-grahams-a-monster-for-michigans-defense/

In high school, Graham starred as a 240-pound middle linebacker. But he ballooned to 310 pounds during his senior year at Detroit Crockett after the Michigan High School Athletic Association suspended him for playing in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Unable to run track, Graham spent the spring gorging on Popeye’s chicken and grilled pitas from the local Coney Island. Michigan coaches were stunned when he reported for summer workouts, and trainers made him wear a heart monitor while he conditioned.

“They were like, ‘Whoa, what happened?’” Graham said. “I didn’t think I was big, but then I really looked in the mirror and I was like, ‘Yeah, I did get big.’ I didn’t even notice it.”

Graham played nose guard and defensive tackle in passing situations as a freshman, slowly working off the weight. He played between 280 and 290 pounds as a sophomore, a little less as a junior, and got down to his current 265 by following a strict diet and working out religiously with Michigan director of strength and conditioning Mike Barwis.

YotoJets007
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I still think he will be limited to Tampa 2 DE. Short and burst type DE I see in Graham and thats it. For now, of course.

Sniper
12-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Graham was "a biscuit away from DT", according to former UM DT Terrance Taylor. He played in the Capital One Bowl in 2007 against Florida as a sophomore at 287 pounds, and was more or less a one-trick pony. He was a good pass-rusher, but somewhat of a liability as a run-stuffer. In the past two years, he's blossomed. He plays the run as well as he plays the past. He's relentless, strong as a ******* bull, and is the best all-around DE available. I'll put money on the fact that he'll be the best DE/3-4 OLB of this draft. He has no business as a 3-4 DE, but anywhere else, he'll be amazing.

yourfavestoner
12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Just finished my first scouting report of the year!

Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Brandon-Graham.php

This year I decided to separate the points with "---" rather than the usual "..."

I just felt like it made them pop out a little bit more. Hopefully you agree!

The goal is to have all of the confirmed Senior Bowl guys done (100) before I leave for Mobile, AL on January 23. In other words look for a bunch of these in the next month or so!

I've always thought the reports would look cleaner and less cluttered if you listed everything by bullets instead of separating them with elipses.

Strengths:
-Good bulk
-Aggressive with a non-stop motor
- Very strong and powerful
- Tough and physical
- Does a great job in pursuit
- Good tackler
- Plays with excellent leverage
- Holds his own versus the run
- Uses his hands well
- Has a lot of range
- Smart with great instincts
- Hard worker
- Offers some versatility
- Super productive.

That looks much better than one long clump.

Forenci
12-23-2009, 02:33 PM
I love Watson. Every time I watched Florida State he seemed to be making plays all over the field. Like Scott said he's probably more fit for a Tampa 2 type defense, but I absolutely would love to see him on the Giants if he lasted to the 3rd-4th round, undersized or not.

I would imagine he'd be a good special teams player too.