PDA

View Full Version : Centers?

RaiderNation
12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I think we all agree O'Dowd is probably at the top of the center rankings. What about after that? Havent seen much disscussion about them.

JFLO
12-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I like Matt Tennant better than O'Dowd at this point, but both are going to be good pros at the next level.

I'm not completely sold on Maurkice Pouncey, but if he doesn't work out at center, I think he could play well at guard.

descendency
12-22-2009, 02:55 PM
the top centers are all underclassmen. So this draft could be completely devoid of centers. Stefen Wisniewski of Penn State is the likely #2. If neither declare, then you may not see a center until day 3 of the draft. Maurkice Pouncey is another potential junior to declare. Matt Tenant is the #1 center who is a senior and he is getting early to mid 3rd round grades.

Hurricanes25
12-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Can anybody tell me anything about Eric Olsen from Notre Dame. I just found out that he grew up about 5 minutes from where I live. Haven't seen much of ND this year but I have heard that he is pretty good.

RaiderNation
12-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Ive heard alot of good things from JD Walton from Baylor

Shane P. Hallam
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Ive heard alot of good things from JD Walton from Baylor

I haven't seen as much of Walton as I'd like, but a lot of people do like him. I am high on Tennant as well and been impressed with every game I have seen of him.

Day One Pick
12-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Can anybody tell me anything about Eric Olsen from Notre Dame. I just found out that he grew up about 5 minutes from where I live. Haven't seen much of ND this year but I have heard that he is pretty good.

I think he's the best center in the draft. Poor man's Nick Mangold.

SenorGato
12-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Eric Olsen is underrated as hell, as it seems alot of ND guys are when they lose.

Hey, is BC putting out any other OL this year?

Unbiased
12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Eric Olsen is underrated as hell, as it seems alot of ND guys are when they lose.

Hey, is BC putting out any other OL this year?

I'm not sure, but keep an eye on Thomas Claiborne, a junior guard. He's a converted DT who impressed me VERY much this year. He should only get better with time.

fischbowl
12-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Thomas Austin Zomgz

GoHuskers
12-23-2009, 09:31 AM
I've seen a couple of JD Walton's games, he's pretty solid, probably draftable IMO. I will admit I'm not an expert on grading centers though.

Rosebud
12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think the giants let Tennant fall out of round two. I think DT and SS are bigger needs than C but C is still a big need with O'hara's decay and Coughlin loves BC lineman especially quick, technically sound and nasty lineman.

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't think the giants let Tennant fall out of round two. I think DT and SS are bigger needs than C but C is still a big need with O'hara's decay and Coughlin loves BC lineman especially quick, technically sound and nasty lineman.
That's funny considering you don't have any. Hahaha! :D

You guys like finesse linemen, like William Beatty.

Forenci
12-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Yes, well, I'd rather have a great pass protector like Beatty as opposed to a road grater who isn't as efficient at pass blocking.

I wouldn't really call Kareem McKenzie, Dave Diehl, or Chris Snee 'finesse' linemen either. O'Hara and Seubert I will give you though. Two guys who need to be replaced, ironically enough.

That having been said, I'd love to grab Tennant. Coughlin loves his BC linemen as Rosebud mentioned as well so it wouldn't surprise me to see him taken by us in the second round, and honestly I'm not opposed to it at all. O'Hara is awful now.

An offensive line with Beatty at LT, Diehl at LG, Tennant at C, Snee at RG, McKenzie/Guy Whimper/whoever at RT is pretty good.

Fly_EaglesFly
12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
with jamal jackson's acl tear yesterday, the eagles will prolly look for a center early

Splat
12-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I could see the Chiefs grabbing a C in the second round with one of their two picks its a big need and they could be the first to team to grab one.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
with jamal jackson's acl tear yesterday, the eagles will prolly look for a center early

Not early. The franchise is pretty confident with their line and the backups already in place. Every draft they use their later picks on oline anyways.

Rosebud
12-29-2009, 01:44 AM

William Beatty is a very technically sound lineman who's far better in the run game than his weight and frame would indicate because of that skill and physicality. Meanwhile Snee, Diehl and McKenzie all fall on the bigger and nastier side of players at their position as forenci mentioned.

So a potential OL of
LT Beatty
LG Diehl
C Rookie/Seubert
RG Snee
RT McKenzie/Whimper certainly fits the bill.

wicket
12-29-2009, 04:37 AM
woCan anybody tell me anything about Eric Olsen from Notre Dame. I just found out that he grew up about 5 minutes from where I live. Haven't seen much of ND this year but I have heard that he is pretty good.

good player, doesnt get beat but he makes to many stupid penalties, was selected a team captain which was kind of impressive with all the egos and big names around southbend.
Good pass protector but has some way to go as a run blocker but thats more a question of time and teaching than lack of physical ability.

IMO he would fit better in a power blocking scheme than a zone blocking scheme although the differences for the center are limited. (and although inexplicably ND ran a zbs )

edit: Played center only for his senior season, played guard in the years before that.

Caddy
12-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Center has to be the least interesting position in the draft... I'd rather watch footage of punters.

wicket
12-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Center has to be the least interesting position in the draft... I'd rather watch footage of punters.

long snappers say HI!

Caddy
12-29-2009, 05:11 AM
long snappers say HI!

Dude Long Snappers > Quarterbacks...

wicket
12-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Dude Long Snappers > Quarterbacks...

by that logic:
centers> quarterbacks

;)

Caddy
12-29-2009, 06:14 AM
by that logic:
centers> quarterbacks

;)

Using logic doesn't help anyone!

RedVision
12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
What do you guys think about A&M's Kevin Matthews? I though he played well yesterday (altough I didn't watch the whole game, what a snoozefest).
Of course, he got the DNA part, gotta love thoses matthews. Surprised that Scott doesn't have him ranked at all...

fischbowl
12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
long snappers say HI!

Are you serious? As the NFLDC special teams pundit, I find huge value in long snapping. I know I'm a rare breed

Powerhouse22112
12-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I like Eric Olsen's versatility having played center this year and guard in years past. I think it could boost his draft stock just a little.

Nard_Dog
12-29-2009, 05:47 PM
My Top Five

1. Kris O'Dowd
2. Maurkice Pouncey
3. Matt Tennant
4. Eric Olsen
5. J.D. Walton

socentre44
12-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Jeff Byers from SC might be a nice late round pick at center. Injury history early on in his college football career might be an issue, but he's a high motor guy with an MBA.

RedVision
12-29-2009, 06:40 PM
What do you guys think about A&M's Kevin Matthews? I though he played well yesterday (altough I didn't watch the whole game, what a snoozefest).
Of course, he got the DNA part, gotta love thoses matthews. Surprised that Scott doesn't have him ranked at all...

hate to bump but...

YotoJets007
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
hate to bump but...
He is fast but not strong. It sounds like ZBS to me for now.

I like Eric Olsen's versatility having played center this year and guard in years past. I think it could boost his draft stock just a little.

I think many teams will want him as G first. Like Chris Chester but less athleticism/speed.

vidae
12-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Kris O'Dowd will come off the board with our first pick in the second. You heard it here first!

FlyingElvis
12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
^ I hope not. I'd like to see him in a Pats uni next year. But with 3 2nd round picks and none in the 3rd I think NEs best move is grabbing the best C left with our 2nd round pick - #64, hopefully. ;)