PDA

View Full Version : I took the actual Wonderlic

foozball
12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
So I had a job interview and after the 1st interview I was asked to take an assessment test. I was told by the manager that it was the actual Wonderlic used for the NFL Draft.

Just for some information so you guys don't think I'm an idiot, I'm a recent graduate from Texas A&M with a business degree and scored a 1270 on the GRE (750 quantitative/520 verbal).

I have to say, it was pretty tough and I could easily see Vince Young scoring single digits. I myself didn't even finish (I think I skipped like 5-7 questions near the end). It wasn't all multiple choice and some math questions were fill in the blank. I believe it was 50 questions in 30 minutes.

Anyways, I ended up getting a 2nd interview so I think I had a decent score at least.

Day One Pick
12-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Well that's pretty cool. It makes me wonder if there a place online to take the test and see your score. If there isn't there should be.

P-L
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Well that's pretty cool. It makes me wonder if there a place online to take the test and see your score. If there isn't there should be.
There are some sample wonderlics online, but not the real thing.

Xonraider
12-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Did you study for it? Do NFL prospects study for it?

redbills
12-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Well they know they will take it so obviously yes.

foozball
12-23-2009, 03:57 PM

No. Didn't know I was going to take it.

ThePudge
12-23-2009, 04:33 PM

There's not really many ways to study for the Wonderlic when no one really knows what's on it and there aren't many practice tools. I doubt many sit down and crack the books for the Wonderlic.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Agents go over the Wonderlic with there clients before many times.

redbills
12-23-2009, 04:36 PM
There's not really many ways to study for the Wonderlic when no one really knows what's on it and there aren't many practice tools. I doubt many sit down and crack the books for the Wonderlic.

Well if a was a agent I'd make my guys go over stuff so they don't score a 2. I bet most if not all go over stuff if not they are dumb.

Kinda like state test for high school (ie OGT), you don't know what things will be on it as it changes year to year, but you just don't say "**** I don't know what will be on it so screw it".

Xonraider
12-23-2009, 04:37 PM

Yeah I know they know they will take it, but I don't know if there is some sort of study guide for it or whatever... stupid question anyways.

Hurricanes25
12-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Agreed. I also feel that the Wonderlic does not affect a prospects draft grade at all so there is really no point to study for it. I don't want to just single him out but see Vince Young.

ThePudge
12-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Well if a was a agent I'd make my guys go over stuff so they don't score a 2. I bet most if not all go over stuff if not they are dumb.

Kinda like state test for high school (ie OGT), you don't know what things will be on it as it changes year to year, but you just don't say "**** I don't know what will be on it so screw it".

I'm sure some find a way to prep for it, but at that time of year it'd be far from my biggest concern as an agent or player to do well on the Wonderlic. There's so much these guys are preparing for, physically and mentally, that I'm sure some/or most don't really give it the time of day. I think mentally, agents are more concerned about their clients' ability to answer questions they may face in interviews with NFL coaches, evaluators, and position coaches rather than having them study for a [fairly] meaningless test.

descendency
12-23-2009, 05:08 PM
I wonder what you would study? I mean, it's 6th grade math and reading comprehension. (I'm not calling anyone stupid, but quite frankly, most people don't read, write, or compute on a 6th grade level.)

Mr.KnowItAll
12-23-2009, 05:31 PM
These guys prepare for EVERYTHING! They go to places like Athletes Performance in Arizona and live there for 2 months just for whats at the combine. This includes Wonderlic test prep, combine drills, interview prep, etc.

underscore
12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
The only way to prep for it is to do yoga.

Just relax and read the entire question.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-23-2009, 06:58 PM
The only way to prep for it is to do yoga.

Just relax and read the entire question.

That's one way or the players who actually get drafted prep by taking the test before it's only there careers

underscore
12-23-2009, 07:16 PM
That's one way or the players who actually get drafted prep by taking the test before it's only there careers

Yes, you prep for such a test by reading exactly what the question asks, not what you think it asks because you're skimming over it in an effort to rush through.

What's the Wonderlic really test in the end? How well one can work under pressure. No studying can prepare you for that.

2 Live Crew
12-23-2009, 10:31 PM
There are sample questions on the internet somewhere...its basically middle school level stuff...just a lot of questions to answer in a short time, but the questions aren't hard at all really.

I'm sure they prep for it but probably don't spend too much time on it...I don't think many scouts put a whole lot of emphasis on a wonderlic. If I was a prospect, it would be at the bottom of my list of things to do before the draft I think.

phlysac
12-23-2009, 10:42 PM
It's the variable of being timed that seems to be the issue. If the person taking the test has any reading difficiencies whatsoever, regardless of their intellect, they will struggle to score well.

Mr.KnowItAll
12-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, you prep for such a test by reading exactly what the question asks, not what you think it asks because you're skimming over it in an effort to rush through.

What's the Wonderlic really test in the end? How well one can work under pressure. No studying can prepare you for that.

You must not know much about the combine process so I'll inform you. Agents spend probably close to 12 million a year just to Prep their clients before the combine. A major part of the Prep is for the Wonderlic and Interviews. These performance facilities have a schedule these guys go through from when they wake up till they sleep. EVERYTHING that they will go over at the combine is prepped for two months by some of the best trainers former NFL players and coaches. If you need articles proving what I say here let me know.

WCH
12-24-2009, 10:40 PM
The samples that we see on the internet are generally something like "the first twelve questions." Well, the Wonderlic is said to increase with difficulty as the test goes on. So when we look at these sample questions and think "pffft, these stupid jocks are ********," we're being stupid. In reality, the distribution of average scores, by position, is not unlike what we'd expect to see in any work environmen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test

Byrd430
12-28-2009, 09:55 PM
I took a sample Wonderlic test as part of a college course. Scored a 35 on it, but it was rather tough. I can't fathom how somebody only scores a 6 on it, because they do have some easy easy gimme questions. But, then again, one of the questions that I thought was the easiest on the test, I got wrong.

It's a tricky little test. It's designed to trick you. Tests shouldn't be like that. So the Wonderlic is a waste of time for the NFL imo. Has nothing to do with real life intelligence or football skills.

Brent
12-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm a recent graduate from Texas A&M
I think I knew this but I dont remember

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I took a sample Wonderlic test as part of a college course. Scored a 35 on it, but it was rather tough. I can't fathom how somebody only scores a 6 on it, because they do have some easy easy gimme questions. But, then again, one of the questions that I thought was the easiest on the test, I got wrong.

It's a tricky little test. It's designed to trick you. Tests shouldn't be like that. So the Wonderlic is a waste of time for the NFL imo. Has nothing to do with real life intelligence or football skills.

Well, to be fair, when you're in the NFL, the other team is trying to trick you. The Wonderlic probably serves two purposes: 1. to see how a player thinks on his toes under that kind of pressure, and 2. to see who actually took the initiative to study for it.

the_legend_killer
12-29-2009, 12:32 AM
All Vince Young does is win. Unless it's the Wonderlic.

brasho
01-10-2010, 03:07 PM

If you know so much about the Wonderlic and everything else, how could you make such a stupid 5th grade mistake and use "there" instead of "their"?

Seriously, as an English teacher I do my best to bite my tongue with the various idiotic spellings and misuse of simple words on blogs but when some guy's on here beating his chest about how smart he is... I gotta call him out.c

Oh, and BTW, the agents do spend a lot of money on getting their clients ready for the combine, but interviews are only a small portion of it. Most agents send their players off to facilities to work on 40 times, bench press, as well as agility and position drills.

Brent
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
but interviews are only a small portion of it.
I disagree entirely. I think interviews play a good part in the decision making process.

marshfield
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I had to take it when I interviewed for my current job. I scored a 34. I didn't know I had to take it until the interview. It wasn't that hard but the time seems to fly.