PDA

View Full Version : Jones on the trading block?

Macarthur
03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
According to theboysblog.com, Jones is on the block for the right price.

I wouldn't mind trading if we get a 2nd rounder. It gets more iffy for me if all he pulls is a 3rd.

Assuming it gets done, I know many folks would want to draft a RB. However, what do you guys think of using Tyson Thompson & Barber in a rotation? Tyson has legit homerun speed. I would love to see him get 12-15 carries a game.

Anyone know how his rehab is going? What do you guys think of a Barber Thompson RB tandem?

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 01:39 PM
First off, if we did trade Julius, we better not draft a RB, that would be just pointless because we got rid of one that is solid, and then just drafting one, which would be stupid. So if we do trade him, it is most likely saying that Barber is our future RB. We will probably sign him to a big contract as well, becuase neither of our RBs have big contracts, and julius' is up after this year, and marion's is in 2 years. On tyson thompson, yea I wouldn't mind giving him 6-10 carries to get a legit homerun threat. And on his rehab, I remember listening to The Lunch Break in DC.com, and Nick Eatmen said that he saw tyson Thompson and he was so mad that they put him on injured reserve because he was ready to go and 100%. This was around week 15 I believe. But, Tyson may not be on the team next year, because Miles Austin took his kick return duites, and he isn't going to give them back. So who knows if he will even be on the team. But if we get a 2nd for julius, I would love it, because we already have pretty much no holes, so we could really have some good depth on this team. I just love Marion Barber because he plays with such emotion and desire not to go down, which julius does not. Marion's style is kind of like Jim Brown, just refusing to go down. So I wouldn't mind the trade.

Here is the link:

http://theboysblog.com/

It also says Rivera's rehab is going good, and he wants to play again. Ehh, I don't real ly like that, just retire. He probably has no shot at starting, but I guess he could be a good veteran back-up.

Thoughts?

Macarthur
03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
That's good news on Thompson. I think we need to keep Thompson, kickoffs or not. And that's even more obvious if JJ gets traded. I would be fine going into the season with Thompson getting 6-10 carries & Barber getting 10-20 a game.

Rivera will provide some veteran leadership. I think I read somewhere that we wouldn't gain anything on the cap if we let him go so we might as well keep him for depth.

bigmac076
03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Have we not argued about this freaking subject enough? This maybe new to 'theboysblog.com', but we have discussed this topic over and over again. BORING!!

leroyisgod
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Not this discussion again!!!

Macarthur
03-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm new to this board. Sorry. What did you guys decide on the subject so I know how to think?

bigmac076
03-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm new to this board. Sorry. What did you guys decide on the subject so I know how to think?
we decided we are not going to trade.

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2007, 01:22 PM
we decided we are not going to trade.

who is we? you have no idea what the cowboys will do on draft day

bigmac076
03-13-2007, 01:39 PM

I was being sarcatic really, I mean the guy wants me to tell him how to think so I gave him the concencus opinion around here. No trade.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Thank you. BigMac, as of right now, the safe bet is that we are trading julius, and I bet we will. What source do you have that says we won't trade him? Your not Jerry Jones. Just because you say that doesn't mean it won't happen. It probably will happen, to be realistic.

Here is another, RELIABLE, source:

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10057134

Im_a_Romosexual
03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
I am 99% sure we keep JJ.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 01:52 PM
I am 99% sure we keep JJ.

I'm 99% sure your wrong.

bigmac076
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Thank you. BigMac, as of right now, the safe bet is that we are trading julius, and I bet we will. What source do you have that says we won't trade him? Just because you say that doesn't mean it won't happen. It probably will happen, to be realistic.

Here is another, RELIABLE, source:

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10057134

pipe down, right now I really could care less. We have the O-Linemen we need for this coming season and whether its Julius Jones/Marion Barber, or Marion Barber/draft pick runnning behind that line, its looking good. As far as Adam Schefter, I wouldn't say he's the symbol of reliability.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
It is NFL.com though, but yea I agree, if this o-line lives up to its billing, as LSU would say, any RB will look like a pro-bowler.

JJJ888
03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
If Barber is our feature back next season, you'll probably be talking about trading him at this point next year...let's just say that he's MUCH better because of the role he plays.

mtmock
03-13-2007, 05:09 PM
i think it is 50-50 w/ julius...its way too hard to predict a trade in this league...i think barber and thompson can get the job done or if he is trade maybe get lorenzo booker in r.4 or something...idk what to think on this whole topic i know i want a r.2 pick out of it though

Im_a_Romosexual
03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm 99% sure your wrong.

Ill take that 1%

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Ok, have fun with it.

mtmock
03-13-2007, 08:29 PM
who or what would you trade him for be specific...me to the browns for #35

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
a 2nd rounder.

Staubach12
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I could definately deal with Barber for a 2nd. Bills 2nd rounder. That would be nice.

TNewFan41
03-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Yes it would. So we could get our safety in round 1, Tank Tyler with the bills pick, Sidney Rice with #54, and Manuel Ramirez with our 3rd rounder.

Now, if that happens, baring any major injuries, if we don't win the SB, it will be a dissapointment. I mean if we added those players, what hole do we have?

OMG I love it.

leroyisgod
03-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Yes it would. So we could get our safety in round 1, Tank Tyler with the bills pick, Sidney Rice with #54, and Manuel Ramirez with our 3rd rounder.

Now, if that happens, baring any major injuries, if we don't win the SB, it will be a dissapointment. I mean if we added those players, what hole do we have?

OMG I love it.

I think Sidney Rice will be long gone before 54. Some foolish team will take him in the 1st round.

TNewFan41
03-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Ehhh, probably, but it would be nice.

robert_in_bigd
03-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Trading Julius for a second and convert that into Bush or Hunt. Big bruisers who can run.

leroyisgod
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Trading Julius for a second and convert that into Bush or Hunt. Big bruisers who can run.

Then you have no speed at RB. I don't really like this at all.

UTPATS
03-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I think Sidney Rice will be long gone before 54. Some foolish team will take him in the 1st round.

If Rice isnt there, one of those good WRs will be. What about Jason Hill at 54?

leroyisgod
03-14-2007, 10:11 AM
If Rice isnt there, one of those good WRs will be. What about Jason Hill at 54?

No thank you...If you're not Johnson, Meachem, Bowe, Gonzalez, Smith or Davis- I don't want you on day one.

Macarthur
03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
No thank you...If you're not Johnson, Meachem, Bowe, Gonzalez, Smith or Davis- I don't want you on day one.

I disagree. I think there is good value on WR, especially in the 3rd. I really like Allison (may not be there in the 3rd) and I think Higgins could be a poor man's Santana Moss.

TNewFan41
03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Robert In BigD are you serious? Trade Julius and draft a RB?!?!!??!!? THAT IS SO STUPID!! If we trade Julius, it means barber is our guy.

If we trade Julius, it means we have put our trust in baber, we would draft a RB on the 1st day, that is just stupid. EVERYONE get that through your heads.

LonghornsLegend
03-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Robert In BigD are you serious? Trade Julius and draft a RB?!?!!??!!? THAT IS SO STUPID!! If we trade Julius, it means barber is our guy.

If we trade Julius, it means we have put our trust in baber, we would draft a RB on the 1st day, that is just stupid. EVERYONE get that through your heads.

its really not, i wish you would stop acting as if it is....

if we got tony hunt in the 3rd, he could do exactly what jones does, with barber starting, and be ALOT cheaper in the long run...he would be playing on a rookie contract, jones would be leaving, or tryingn to sign a bigger deal...

see how that makes sense now? not saying its the right thing to do, but its not stupid or crazy

TNewFan41
03-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Forget it, Jerry set today that Julius will probably be a Cowboy. I heard this on Talkin' Cowboys.

dang it!!!

bigbluedefense
03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
They should get rid of him. For a RB, I simply don't understand how you can make it as an NFL RB without having any vision. Jones has no vision at all, its amazing that he lasted this long. He has potential, but you can't teach vision, and Dallas shouldn't wait around for it to happen.

Macarthur
03-14-2007, 03:02 PM

I just don't understand why you think this is so stupid. I would trade JJ for Peterson in a heartbeat. I know that's not likely, but would you really call that stupid?

I'm not saying it will happen or that I would even want it, but what gives you the right to call that stupid and basically call everyone thick headed that thinks that's a possiblity.

robert_in_bigd
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
How many Draft Value points do you think Julius is worth?

I give him early 3rd -- 250 points.

Thoughts?

robert_in_bigd
03-14-2007, 04:52 PM
They should get rid of him. For a RB, I simply don't understand how you can make it as an NFL RB without having any vision. Jones has no vision at all, its amazing that he lasted this long. He has potential, but you can't teach vision, and Dallas shouldn't wait around for it to happen.

Amen. Jones has very limited upside and after this season I am not sure his value will get any higher for us. Same as Burnett -- you have to find value for these guys before you lose them or they are simply labeled "Bust."

mtmock
03-14-2007, 04:55 PM
id put him around 460-500 or so

robert_in_bigd
03-14-2007, 04:56 PM

Aren't you Mr Ramonce Taylor sub 4.3? Hmmm last I checked your man-crush could not break 4.5 at the Combine running at 200 lbs. But moving along ....

I am not sure what football school you come from but if you can get a Hunt or Bush (bruisers who can run 25 times per) that can also catch the ball you have really helped your offense in 1st and 2nd down.

Julius, in addition to having poor vision, is a liability in the passing game. He is not a good pass catcher and is a poor blocker. If you can upgrade the position .... who cares if you lose speed. Either way Tyson Thompson can run fast and he is a tailback like Julius.

robert_in_bigd
03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
id put him around 460-500 or so

Early Second? No way. Maybe if he had a 1200 yard season and a longer term contract.

Maybe late second at best.

TNewFan41
03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Aren't you Mr Ramonce Taylor sub 4.3? Hmmm last I checked your man-crush could not break 4.5 at the Combine running at 200 lbs. But moving along ....

I am not sure what football school you come from but if you can get a Hunt or Bush (bruisers who can run 25 times per) that can also catch the ball you have really helped your offense in 1st and 2nd down.

Julius, in addition to having poor vision, is a liability in the passing game. He is not a good pass catcher and is a poor blocker. If you can upgrade the position .... who cares if you lose speed. Either way Tyson Thompson can run fast and he is a tailback like Julius.

First ooff I was talking about feild speed, and second off I said that before Ramonce ran his 40.

Thank you, come again.

leroyisgod
03-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Go f yourself!!!

mtmock
03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Jerry jones says there is almost no chance jones gets traded he liked our rotation last year and hopes all 3 of our rb's contribute .

TNewFan41
03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Yes he did say that sadly.........

But he did say we could make a move on draft day, hehehehhee!!!

Im_a_Romosexual
03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
hopefully down

robert_in_bigd
03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
First ooff I was talking about feild speed, and second off I said that before Ramonce ran his 40.

Thank you, come again.

LOL, whatever.

bigbluedefense
03-15-2007, 10:08 AM
If Jones does stay, they need to compliment him with a FB. Whenever you have a RB that lacks vision, he tends to do much better with a lead FB who can show him the way.

I have no numbers to prove it, but I bet if you look at the tape, Jones probably was more productive with a FB in front of him opposed to the 2 TE base set without a motioning Hback.

JJJ888
03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I think Julius is much more productive with a fullback...or at least he was last year when many of us felt he was being limited by Parcells...now, he could be much better this year if he is given the freedom to run and find his own holes. Remember, he was very good at that his rookie season on draw plays.

LSUALUM99
03-15-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not nearly as down on JJ as everyone else seems to be. I disagree with BBD, I think JJ is a top 20 back. He may never be a star, but he doesn't have to be with MBIII back there. Neither of them is a top 10 back in this league, but together the DUO is in the top 10 easily.

mtmock
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
he will stay and we will be super bowl champs next year;)

TNewFan41
03-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm not nearly as down on JJ as everyone else seems to be. I disagree with BBD, I think JJ is a top 20 back. He may never be a star, but he doesn't have to be with MBIII back there. Neither of them is a top 10 back in this league, but together the DUO is in the top 10 easily.

I'll agree with that statement.

bigbluedefense
03-15-2007, 06:26 PM

I think he should be second fiddle to MBIII. MBIII is the better RB in that 2 TE offense.

JJ struggles out of the 2 TE set, every time I see him, he just runs right into a linemen, unless the hole is huge, then he has breakaway potential, but then again, who doesn't in those situations?.

If you give him a FB, which he needs, you limit the passing attack because the FB in the iform simply isn't as good of a threat as a 2nd TE. If you motion the Hback to the FB position, you get less production out of the lead blocking because an Hback usually isn't as good of a lead blocker as a FB. Plus, by doing that on run plays out of the 2 TE set, you make it rather obvious that its a run play and defenses will react to that.

I think that while the duo is definately top 10 in the league, if you spell MBIII with a different back it might be even better. Im not a big fan of Jones, and his limitations don't match up well with the offensive system in place.

I think that MBIII is a good RB. I think he's somewhat underrated. Contrarily, I think Jones is a little overrated. I think they would actually be better if MBIII was the lead back, and they spelled him with a different back, like a Lorenzo Booker type.

shane_man
03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I think he should be second fiddle to MBIII. MBIII is the better RB in that 2 TE offense.

JJ struggles out of the 2 TE set, every time I see him, he just runs right into a linemen, unless the hole is huge, then he has breakaway potential, but then again, who doesn't in those situations?.

If you give him a FB, which he needs, you limit the passing attack because the FB in the iform simply isn't as good of a threat as a 2nd TE. If you motion the Hback to the FB position, you get less production out of the lead blocking because an Hback usually isn't as good of a lead blocker as a FB. Plus, by doing that on run plays out of the 2 TE set, you make it rather obvious that its a run play and defenses will react to that.

I think that while the duo is definately top 10 in the league, if you spell MBIII with a different back it might be even better. Im not a big fan of Jones, and his limitations don't match up well with the offensive system in place.

I think that MBIII is a good RB. I think he's somewhat underrated. Contrarily, I think Jones is a little overrated. I think they would actually be better if MBIII was the lead back, and they spelled him with a different back, like a Lorenzo Booker type.
We probably wont even be using the Two TE set anymore with Parcells gone... So hey...

Speaking of... Is there any decent Lead Blocking Fullbacks in this draft?

D-Unit
03-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Booker has some capability, but he HAS TO be used properly or he simply wastes downs. He should never be asked to rush up the middle. I have my doubts about him having the ability to break it out to the outside in the NFL as well. On screens, dump offs and mid to deep routes... basically anything to do with him catching the ball in space is where he can be most effective. In that sense he would be an interesting complement to MB3. ...but MB3 is a pretty good receiver in his own right.

If we trade Julius and get a guy like Antonio Pittman, that would be a badass duo.

D-Unit
03-15-2007, 07:10 PM
We probably wont even be using the Two TE set anymore with Parcells gone... So hey...

Speaking of... Is there any decent Lead Blocking Fullbacks in this draft?
Jerry said he doesn't plan on the offense changing and even with JG as our new OC, I don't think we'll be swaying too far from what we did last year. In the first year of implementation we did a helluva job coming in 5th in total offense... and that was WITH Bledsoe's first 4 games.

shane_man
03-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Jerry said he doesn't plan on the offense changing and even with JG as our new OC, I don't think we'll be swaying too far from what we did last year. In the first year of implementation we did a helluva job coming in 5th in total offense... and that was WITH Bledsoe's first 4 games.

I think we would be a more rounded offense playing a Fullback when Julius is in and two TE's when MB3's in... It wouldnt change whether teams think we are passing or rushing. But it gives our RB's the best chance to make bigger gains when we do rush...

(How much say did Garret have in Miami's offence last year?)

D-Unit
03-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I think we would be a more rounded offense playing a Fullback when Julius is in and two TE's when MB3's in... It wouldnt change whether teams think we are passing or rushing. But it gives our RB's the best chance to make bigger gains when we do rush...

(How much say did Garret have in Miami's offence last year?)
That sounds like a very predictable offense.

Being that he was simply the QB Coach... I would say it was minimal.

shane_man
03-15-2007, 08:41 PM
That sounds like a very predictable offense.

Being that he was simply the QB Coach... I would say it was minimal.

Its not predictable...

It just means we have two base offensive formations dependant on whos lining up at Running Back...

bigbluedefense
03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Booker has some capability, but he HAS TO be used properly or he simply wastes downs. He should never be asked to rush up the middle. I have my doubts about him having the ability to break it out to the outside in the NFL as well. On screens, dump offs and mid to deep routes... basically anything to do with him catching the ball in space is where he can be most effective. In that sense he would be an interesting complement to MB3. ...but MB3 is a pretty good receiver in his own right.

If we trade Julius and get a guy like Antonio Pittman, that would be a badass duo.

Yeah, maybe Booker was a bad example. Pittman would fit better. Even Tony Hunt would fit the bill. Imagine trying to stop the power of Hunt and Barber for 4 quarters? That would be awfully hard for defenses to do.