PDA

View Full Version : Who's Looking for a QB?

gpngc
12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
With one week left, everyone has seen what their young QBs are or aren't.

Here's where we stand in my estimation...

Definitely Need a QB

-Rams

-Vikings

-Seahawks

Probably Need a QB

-Bills (Brohm? Harvard? Captain Checkdown? They need to re-vamp the OL and find a new coach too so who knows.)

-Redskins (Campbell gets one more shot? I don't know, he's been in the league for a while now.)

-Raiders (But what do they do with humongous Russell and his humongous contract? Disaster situation.)

Maybe Need a QB (???)

-Browns (Trust Quinn? Andersonlol? Holmgren takes Hasselbeck for a year or two?)

-Jaguars (Garrard isn't bad at all, but he's not above average at all either and in that division, you need to be.)

-Broncos (Orton's OK I guess, but could definitely be upgraded. He'll likely be the starter again next season because there aren't too many starter-quality guys available in the draft or free agency.)

-49ers (Is Smith the guy who's going to lead them to the playoffs? Or is he just going to pad his stats against the Rams and Seahawks? He's done well enough to get the nod next year, they won't go after a QB IMO).

-Panthers (Matt Moore played great here down the stretch, and if you go by the last two games he should be the guy going forward on this team. However, you have to wonder how he couldn't beat out Jake Delhomme- maybe it was just terrible coaching decisions, or maybe he's not really as good as his past two starts would lead you to believe. Will Moore be the starter on opening day next year? I don't know, but it'll be tough to find someone else with no first round pick.)

That's 11 teams.

Here are the possible early-taken QBs in the draft and ALL of them have huge question marks and in my estimation only the top two will be considered potential franchise NFL quarterbacks and be drafted in round one...

Name (my projection)

Sam Bradford (top 10)
Jimmy Clausen (top 10)
Colt McCoy (2nd-3rd)
Tim Tebow (2nd-3rd)
Case Keenum (2nd-3rd)
Sean Canfield (2nd-3rd)
Tony Pike (4th-5th)
Dan LeFevour (5th-6th)

Free agents are Orton, Campbell, Chad Pennington, Tarvaris Jackson, and Kellen Clemens.

Would Philly deal Kevin Kolb? Any other young prospects with bright futures on teams already with a QB worth acquiring? These are the types of things these teams need to look into, because the QB well is nearly dry.

My main point is a lot of teams who need QBs are simply not going to get them this offseason. It could mean more years in the basement for the bottom-dwellers, and the teams with the elite QBs will reign supreme even longer.

RaiderNation
12-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I see Oakland either sticking with Russell, or cutting him and drafting a QB in the 3rd or 4th. Tony Pike and Sean Canfield seem like possible picks

Shane P. Hallam
12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Michael Vick is likely hitting the FA market as well. I imagine some team will take the shot with him (right or wrong).

superman8456
12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Honestly, the Eagles might be willing to deal Kevin Kolb. It's a pretty awkward situation for the Eagles because they have Vick as well. McNabb hasn't shown any signs of his career slowing down either so Kolb might want out to get a starting job elsewhere. Vick will definitely want out to get a starting job elsewhere though.

If the Eagles lose Kolb, they will definitely keep Vick.

RealityCheck
12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I'd throw the Colts in the maybe list. Like, they like to rest their starters... and they booed Curtis Painter.

Brothgar
12-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Honestly, the Eagles might be willing to deal Kevin Kolb. It's a pretty awkward situation for the Eagles because they have Vick as well. McNabb hasn't shown any signs of his career slowing down either so Kolb might want out to get a starting job elsewhere. Vick will definitely want out to get a starting job elsewhere though.

I don't know which of the two QBs the Eagles would want to ship though? I mean Kolb is the Eagle's future and McNabb is an oft injured star who is now reaching the Mid 30's with his long long LONG injury history it might be wiser do shop McNabb and not Kolb.

eagles6606
12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd put my money on the Eagles trading Vick, not Kolb.

superman8456
12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd put my money on the Eagles trading Vick, not Kolb.

Problem is, Eagles cant really trade Vick. Vick is on a one year contract with a team option for the 2nd year. So either the Eagles are going to keep him for the 2nd year or let him walk.

superman8456
12-29-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't know which of the two QBs the Eagles would want to ship though? I mean Kolb is the Eagle's future and McNabb is an oft injured star who is now reaching the Mid 30's with his long long LONG injury history it might be wiser do shop McNabb and not Kolb.

Eagles do not want to get rid of Kolb, but he will probably walk anyways. He wants a starting position in the league, and the Eagles wont be giving him that any time soon.

McNabb wont get shopped around because Andy Reid built the offense around him. McNabb is finishing his career in Philadelphia, or at least playing for us for the next 2-3 seasons.

I would like Vick to stay and to keep learning. He is valuable in the wildcat as well. He seems to be getting back in NFL shape now.

Shane P. Hallam
12-29-2009, 03:59 PM
With the contract he has, Vick is getting released.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-29-2009, 04:01 PM
-Redskins (Campbell gets one more shot? I don't know, he's been in the league for a while now.)

Time for the Redskins to unleash Colt Brennan :)

Addict
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Time for the Redskins to unleash Colt Brennan :)

Colt 'the Fury' Brennan! FTW!!!

also I'm not really sure the panthers deserve to be on that list. Matt Moore has played extremely well and him not beating out Delhomme had a lot to do with Fox believing in Delhomme very strongly and Delhomme's contract numbers.

Brothgar
12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Eagles do not want to get rid of Kolb, but he will probably walk anyways. He wants a starting position in the league, and the Eagles wont be giving him that any time soon.

That is unless they trade McNabb or he gets hurt again.

McNabb wont get shopped around because Andy Reid built the offense around him. McNabb is finishing his career in Philadelphia, or at least playing for us for the next 2-3 seasons.

Sure the offense was "built around McNabb" but it isn't like he's the only one who can run that offense. Every backup the Eagles have had (with some exceptions) have been able to run the offense with time. So I don't really see the Eagles as being forced to keep him around.

I would like Vick to stay and to keep learning. He is valuable in the wildcat as well. He seems to be getting back in NFL shape now.

I don't know what value Vick has had in the wildcat. I mean in theory he does because he can run a bit and throw the ball kinda but I havn't seen Vick have many good plays in his limited snaps this year.

superman8456
12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
That is unless they trade McNabb or he gets hurt again.

Sure the offense was "built around McNabb" but it isn't like he's the only one who can run that offense. Every backup the Eagles have had (with some exceptions) have been able to run the offense with time. So I don't really see the Eagles as being forced to keep him around.

I don't know what value Vick has had in the wildcat. I mean in theory he does because he can run a bit and throw the ball kinda but I havn't seen Vick have many good plays in his limited snaps this year.

Vick has had an impact from the wildcat later in season because he is still shaking off the rust and playing himself back into shape. He came to the Eagles about 15 pounds overweight and seemed like he lost a couple steps, and now he has to get all that back.

McNabb is not getting shopped around this offseason. He is finally fully recovered from his ACL injury and playing like one of the best. The Eagles arent forced to keep him around because this team can win games on its own, but they would need McNabb for a SB.

Kevin Kolb was very impressive in his two starts earlier this season. I think he is fully capable of helping this team win some games, but I want McNabb starting right now. But like you said, injuries may happen to McNabb and then I'll have to reassess the QB situation then, but until then McNabb is not on the block and is the starting QB for the Eagles until his current contract is up.

Babylon
12-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I would take Seattle out of the need column. They have Hasselbeck for one more year, have a project in Mike Teel and the big fish is Jake Locker who they'll mortgage the future for next year.

StorminNorman
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM

The Eagles should be more willing to trade McNabb than Kolb.

Colt 'the Fury' Brennan! FTW!!!

also I'm not really sure the panthers deserve to be on that list. Matt Moore has played extremely well and him not beating out Delhomme had a lot to do with Fox believing in Delhomme very strongly and Delhomme's contract numbers.

If Shanahan comes to Washington, I wonder if Cleveland will make a play for Colt Brennan. Holmgren loves his West Coast Offense, Jim Zorn is a possible option for Cleveland's OC position and Colt Brennan is a prototypical WC QB. I can't see him fitting Shanahan's scheme.

With one week left, everyone has seen what their young QBs are or aren't.

Here's where we stand in my estimation...

Definitely Need a QB

-Rams

I think this is the leader in the Michael Vick sweepstakes. If they don't believe Clausen is a franchise QB (I could EASILY see his personality rubbing Spags the wrong way) they could choose to develop Knull and bring in Michael Vick.

St. Louis's offensive coordinator comes from Philadelphia, so Vick will be familiar with the system. St. Louis's GM comes from Atlanta circa Michael Vick. Vick would be in a dome (which benefits his speed I believe) and he should pair well with Steven Jackson.

I believe in building a team towards your strengths, using the first pick on Suh or McCoy, pairing him with Chris Long, may be the best move for the Rams.

-Vikings

I wouldn't put them in the "must need" category. Their starting QB next year is already on the roster, be it Favre or Tavaris Jackson. Don't overlook the importance of Tavaris Jackson getting on the field during punt formations, his solidifying the QB2 spot or the fact he wasn't traded.

-Seahawks

Agreed.

Probably Need a QB

-Bills (Brohm? Harvard? Captain Checkdown? They need to re-vamp the OL and find a new coach too so who knows.)

I would move them up to Must Need.

Unless Shanahan falls in love with Campbell, he will want his own QB. Bump them to must need.

-Raiders (But what do they do with humongous Russell and his humongous contract? Disaster situation.)

You can't allow Russell to negate any QB move when you factor in the fact he couldn't get the starting job from Frye after leading his team against the Broncos. Russell, as long as Cable is coach, is gone. The humongous Russell contract is made even less important with the lack of salary cap.

You have to throw out Vick here because of Al Davis, but I think he may fall in love with Clausen or they could perhaps be truly happy with Gradkowski.

Maybe Need a QB (???)

-Browns (Trust Quinn? Andersonlol? Holmgren takes Hasselbeck for a year or two?)

If Mangini is still the head coach, I wouldn't be shocked to see Jason Campbell end up here. I believe Mangini was going to take in Jason Campbell back during the Cutler-trade days (I believe a trade was in place to send Quinn to Denver, Campbell to Cleveland and Cutler to Washington - Cutler initially believed he was heading to DC).

-Jaguars (Garrard isn't bad at all, but he's not above average at all either and in that division, you need to be.)

Tebow is the boring pick here, but I don't see how Jacksonville can trust Tebow to lead their team in the near future. I like Garrard, personally.

-Broncos (Orton's OK I guess, but could definitely be upgraded. He'll likely be the starter again next season because there aren't too many starter-quality guys available in the draft or free agency.)

A team that will likely look for a QB mid draft, unless they like the guy they got last year.

-49ers (Is Smith the guy who's going to lead them to the playoffs? Or is he just going to pad his stats against the Rams and Seahawks? He's done well enough to get the nod next year, they won't go after a QB IMO).

I would remove them from the list entirely.

-Panthers (Matt Moore played great here down the stretch, and if you go by the last two games he should be the guy going forward on this team. However, you have to wonder how he couldn't beat out Jake Delhomme- maybe it was just terrible coaching decisions, or maybe he's not really as good as his past two starts would lead you to believe. Will Moore be the starter on opening day next year? I don't know, but it'll be tough to find someone else with no first round pick.)

I think they definitely need to look at adding another QB. If the management, however, believes this is Fox's last year - they could likely avoid making a large QB addition here so that whoever they hire next year can pick his franchise Q.

YotoJets007
12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
2010 draft class for QB is very solid for backup job. That means Vick should draw some serious attention during this off season. I like Whitehurst and Kolb as well as Ainge over drafting a qb whose name is Jim Claussen.

Nard_Dog
12-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I would like to see Denver get a quarterback, but someone with a good arm to spread the field. The dream quarterback would be Sam Bradford, but with Chicago's win yesterday it's unlikely he will slip to the 9 to 12 spot.

WMD
12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Maybe one of those teams will trade for Drew Stanton!

Babylon
12-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I would like to see Denver get a quarterback, but someone with a good arm to spread the field. The dream quarterback would be Sam Bradford, but with Chicago's win yesterday it's unlikely he will slip to the 9 to 12 spot.

Probably depends on whether a Ryan Mallett comes out. If he does i could easily see Bradford as the 3rd QB taken and available for the Broncos.

YotoJets007
12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Probably depends on whether a Ryan Mallett comes out. If he does i could easily see Bradford as the 3rd QB taken and available for the Broncos.

I would forget Bradford and trade up and get Mallett if I were Broncos GM.

prock
12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
i sure hope mallet comes out. thats another person to be taken ahead of bradford, which gives a better chance of him falling to the twenties so the vikes can trade up and snatch him!

Cigaro
12-29-2009, 09:08 PM
As for why he couldn't beat out Delhomme, it's because it's John Fox. If you're a veteran, you're automatically starting. You have to seriously, I mean seriously **** up before he'll pull you.

JDR2882
12-29-2009, 10:19 PM
As for why he couldn't beat out Delhomme, it's because it's John Fox. If you're a veteran, you're automatically starting. You have to seriously, I mean seriously **** up before he'll pull you.

While Fox does tend to favor veterans, I believe more than that played in his decision to stick with Delhomme. Delhomme was given a large contract extension just recently and was/is a big part of Carolina Panther football. Add in the fact that coaches are reluctant to make a QB switch and that is why Matt Moore was not given a shot before now.

Carolina most likely brings Delhomme back next year. However, the play of Matt Moore should have vaulted himself into at the very least a competition with Delhomme for the starting position.

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Charlie Whitehurst will probably be a FA too...3rd rounder out of Clemson in 06 but got stuck behind Rivers and Volek with the clipboard. I can't imagine he sucks up a roster spot for a 5th straight year, he will be cut and some team could give him a look. Big arm and good mobility too.

RealityCheck
12-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Breaking down the situation:

Vick and Campbell will be FAs. St. Louis could be pursuing one of them.
Stanton, Kolb, Croyle and Whitehurst are underused in their teams, and could end up as starters in another team, via trade.
Delhomme, Favre and Hasselbeck may be retiring after the season.
We still have to know if Mallett and Bradford are declaring or not.

So let's wait until late February and see how it goes.

Brent
12-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Stanton, Kolb, Croyle and Whitehurst are underused in their teams, and could end up as starters in another team, via trade.
Stanton looked so horrible against the Niners on Sunday. No team would bother with starting that fool. Same could be said of Croyle & Whitehurst.

Bradford did declare.

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Stanton looked so horrible against the Niners on Sunday. No team would bother with starting that fool. Same could be said of Croyle & Whitehurst.

I have no sentiment one way or the other for Whitehurst, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in a #2 slot somewhere with a chance to compete for a starting job.

Hehe, in a #2 slot.

FUNBUNCHER
12-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I really hope that SHanahan and Colt Brennan make a love connection in DC!!

Last year was absolutely the worst time for Colt to have a hip injury, but that's life. And there's no way Brennan will ship out to Cleveland to compete for a job under a Jim Zorn run offense.

Zorn was constantly on Colt in TC and preseason for improvising in the passing game and throwing high risk passes to WRs outside of the offensive scheme.

Zorn couldn't handle Brennan's game, maybe Shanahan can.

I WISH the Eagles would trade Kolb - IMO he's capable of leading a solid team into the playoffs next year.

And why is Manning in his prime but Mcnabb is an 'older QB'?? Both are 33 years old with very little diminished skills, if at all.

StorminNorman
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Breaking down the situation:

Vick and Campbell will be FAs. St. Louis could be pursuing one of them.
Delhomme, Favre and Hasselbeck may be retiring after the season.

So let's wait until late February and see how it goes.

Stanton isn't underused. He would be lucky to be Stafford's Sorgi.

I really hope that SHanahan and Colt Brennan make a love connection in DC!!

Last year was absolutely the worst time for Colt to have a hip injury, but that's life. And there's no way Brennan will ship out to Cleveland to compete for a job under a Jim Zorn run offense.

Zorn was constantly on Colt in TC and preseason for improvising in the passing game and throwing high risk passes to WRs outside of the offensive scheme.

Zorn couldn't handle Brennan's game, maybe Shanahan can.

I WISH the Eagles would trade Kolb - IMO he's capable of leading a solid team into the playoffs next year.

And why is Manning in his prime but Mcnabb is an 'older QB'?? Both are 33 years old with very little diminished skills, if at all.

Compare Manning's Injury History with McNabb's. McNabb is also not in Peyton's league.

noondog
12-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Interesting thread.

One name I'm surprised hasn't come up (that I've noticed anyhow) is Derek Anderson. Imo, he would be one of the more sought after back-up QB's in the league right now for the right price. I know that his contract is cumbersome (to say the least), but he does bring experience and a big arm to the table. Maybe a new system would work for him.

I can't get on the Vick bandwagon as a starter next year. He has shown very little this year (not his fault) and has had the insulation of not having to be "the guy". For a team like STL to bring him in as the answer, or at least the short-term answer until Jake Locker comes out, doesn't make sense. Vick would require somewhat of a custom-fit offense to play within, and I just don't think that the rams are close enough to warrant doing that when they can draft a QB to build their franchise around for the next decade. The Bills are the only real team that I can see Vick starting for at this point...I think he could be a difference maker with them.

As for Stanton, Croyle and Kolb: I don't see Stanton as having any value to anyone at this point. He has shown nothing in the VERY little PT that he's had. Croyle I could see having value as a back-up behind someone like Quinn, but very little as a starter. Kolb is interesting...in the right system, I could see him flourishing as an injury replacement and taking over...much like Brady did when Bledsoe went down (not predicting the same end result mind you).