PDA

View Full Version : UCLA DT Brian Price declaring for draft

truth393
12-30-2009, 11:31 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/12/ucla-football-brian-price-nfl-draft.html
UCLA defensive tackle Brian Price said after the game that he would declare for the NFL draft.

Price, a 6-foot-2, 300-pound junior, said he has been mulling his decision for the past few weeks and decided, “I think the time is right. It’s been a tough decision.”

He is projected as a first-round pick and will be considered the third-best defensive tackle in the draft behind Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy.

He should be the 3rd DT taken in the draft.

Nard_Dog
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Right choice in my opinion, looks like a solid 2nd round pick.

keylime_5
12-30-2009, 11:37 AM
probably a late first. could crack the top 20. manbeast at UCLA.

RealityCheck
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Both staying and going would be good for him. Late 1st/early 2nd pick.

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Both staying and going would be good for him.

No that's not possible.

RealityCheck
12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
No that's not possible.
How not???

diabsoule
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
He was utterly unimpressive against Temple last night. That was my second time watching him play this year (first was against Tennessee) and I have to say that I haven't been impressed either times.

wicket
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I like it cuz it gives my saints options and at least it might push another good DT down to the end of round 2

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
How not???

He cannot both stay and go. :D

diabsoule
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I like it cuz it gives my saints options and at least it might push another good DT down to the end of round 2

Round 2? What are you wanting to do with our round 1 pick?

wicket
12-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Round 2? What are you wanting to do with our round 1 pick?

Depends on who is around obviously.
I have three things Id be fine with
-a good DT (marvin austin, dan williams)
-a good DE (everson griffen, JPP someone like that)
-sean weatherspoon

superman8456
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
-sean weatherspoon

Wouldn't the Saints benefit by someone who could start from day 1? JPP or Everson Griffen probably woulddnt. Only players you mentioned that could are Dan Williams (still questionable) and Sean Weatherspoon.

bigbuc
12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
He was utterly unimpressive against Temple last night. That was my second time watching him play this year (first was against Tennessee) and I have to say that I haven't been impressed either times.

I could understand about yesterday's bowl game... was not very good at all. But can I ask what didn't impress you about the Tennessee game? The guy had 5 solo tackles and 2 sacks and was living in the backfield that game.

wicket
12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Wouldn't the Saints benefit by someone who could start from day 1? JPP or Everson Griffen probably woulddnt. Only players you mentioned that could are Dan Williams (still questionable) and Sean Weatherspoon.

I think Griffen probably could and JPP could be brought more slowly by keeping grant around another year. The majority of the other pass rushers are more 3-4 guys than 4-3 guys outside of hardy who has to many ???? for round 1 probably

FUNBUNCHER
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I think he's the best player on UCLA's roster, but I had no idea he was considered a 1st round pick..

Todd Bertuzzi
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Top 25 pick.

princefielder28
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
He wasn't impressive yesterday but Temple is as good upfront as any team he's faced this season so it's not fair to judge him based purely off that game. I think he's a top 20 pick and he'll compete with Dan Williams for the 3rd DT selected.

OaklandRaider56
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM

How was he so unimpressive? I did notice him getting washed but that's because he's a gap-shooting, "live in the backfield" type of DT. Price can be whatever an NFL team needs him to be.. He has a good initial pop, pretty quick hands, keeps his feet, and is just flat out impressive athletically.

He had a real good second half and that Temple OL is pretty damn good.

Unbiased
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
23.5 tackles for loss and 7 sacks on the year

If you've only seen him a couple times, it would be difficult to form any opinion on him. I would be completely shocked if he didn't go in the top 20.

Babylon
12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I like him better than Mt. Cody. I actually thought he played pretty well against Temple.

terribletowel39
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I thought he played pretty well last night as well. Especially in the 2nd half. He was hustling to make tackles down the field and sideline to sideline. He shot through the line a few times and hurried Temple's QB. I've only seen that one game of him but knowing his name, I was watching him and I came away impressed. He definitely was impressive athletically.

RaiderNation
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I see him as a mid 1st to early 2nd type guy. Should make a good UT

gpngc
12-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Marvin Austin is better. Austin will be the clear #3 DT once he officially declares.

diabsoule
12-30-2009, 02:13 PM
-sean weatherspoon

The guy I want in New Orleans is Dan Williams. He's that big run stuffing DT that we need and that will allow Sedrick Ellis to penetrate and make plays in the backfield.

I like him better than Mt. Cody. I actually thought he played pretty well against Temple.

It really depends on the scheme you're running. Price is better as a 4-3 DT and Cody is a 3-4 NT.

Big Black
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM

you must have really high standards.

Brian Price was outright dominant in the Tennessee game. he had 4.5 tackles for loss and 2 sacks in that game. Price also helped shut out Temple in the second half yesterday. there was a series in the 3rd quarter where he knifed in and tackled the RB and then on the next play, shed a block and stopped the RB for no gain.

he is the most impressive DT not named McCoy and Suh, and if he were 2 inches taller, he'd give both of them a run for their money as a prospect.

TACKLE
12-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Marvin Austin is better. Austin will be the clear #3 DT once he officially declares.

Marvin Austin can't touch Brian Price as a player.

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Marvin Austin can't touch Brian Price as a player.

Cosign this.

BigBanger
12-31-2009, 04:36 AM
Normally I don't comment on posts like this when a couple people already address it, but the Tennessee game? Unimpressed? He was on a completely different level as those guys. He was about as dominating as college DTs get in that game.

I was really high on him at the start of year, but his balance is downright awful and he goes to the ground way too much, which is a major concern. Size I don't have an issue with since his arms so ******* long, I think his knuckles scrape the ground when he walks. He plays with a one-gap mentality, which is not something I like since he does get washed too much (McCoy has that same problem, but he's stronger at the POA than Price) and can be hit or miss against the run (i.e. 3 yard TFL on one play, creates a huge void in the front line the next play). He's talented and he's supposedly a hard worker with good character, but he's got a long ways to go technically.

I would have liked to see him stay and improve his strength and technique, but I don't think it will hurt leaving early. Probably wont have much success until year three if he pans out.

Haven't watched the Temple game yet...

Marvin Austin plays way too high way too often. Great motor and gives a ton of effort, but he needs another year in college, otherwise, he has bust written all over him.

GoHuskers
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Price is clearly the 3rd best DT in this draft, yes he's been inconsistent in some games but if he was consistent he'd be sitting up in the top 5 with Suh and McCoy. He's certainly better than the 2 project DT's Cody and Austin. Price could actually start day 1, The only way Cody plays his rookie season is if he loses 50 pounds.

ElectricEye
12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
I think he's one of the top fifteen players in the draft. Classic example of west coast under exposure. He played better towards the start of the year, but still, he played well. I didn't see the Temple game, but regardless, I don't think there's much of a question about his talent. Marvin Austin might have more upside if he declares, but Price is a much better player and doesn't lack upside either.

stephenson86
12-31-2009, 09:25 AM

he wasnt the best iver seen but temple have a stout OL

lance uppercut
01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
understanding it may not be his ideal scheme, but can he project to a 3-4? nose or DE?

RaiderNation
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
understanding it may not be his ideal scheme, but can he project to a 3-4? nose or DE?

IDK if he is tall enough for a 3-4 DE. Seems to me he is a 4-3 UT all the way

mellojello
01-06-2010, 10:50 PM
2nd round? Wow, that would be great value for any NFL team.

He's young (20 y/o)and only going to get better.