PDA

View Full Version : Riley Cooper Wants to Play in NFL

sbh15
12-30-2009, 01:51 PM
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/

my bad if anyone has posted this, interesting story though.

Babylon
12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
I mentioned it in an earlier post but glad you brought it up. I think his stock could go through the roof if he has a good combine. He's in the 6-3 215 range with outstanding speed and he's a heck of a blocker. He said he wants to run a 4.3,4.4 and i've seen nothing of his game that suggests he wont.

RealityCheck
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
If he really runs a 4.3 then his stock will rise up to the moon.

Babylon
12-30-2009, 02:19 PM
If he really runs a 4.3 then his stock will rise up to the moon.

4.3s wouldnt shock me. He ran it in highschool. He ran by a lot of SEC corners that had a lot of speedzzzzz.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Lol I forgot he was a baseball player. I read the thread title and LOL'ed.

no bare feet
12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I too, want to play in the NFL

Nard_Dog
12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Will probably go around were former Florida receiver Louis Murphy went.

sbh15
12-30-2009, 02:47 PM

That could be an almost perfect comparison. Murphy ran a sub 4.4 forty on one of his times, and they have similar size and production. If Cooper can do the same, he'll probably go a bit higher, since he's such a great blocker.

murdamal86
12-30-2009, 03:01 PM

That's about right. He has to catch the ball more consistently also. I think he'll be a solid slot receiver if he lands in the right situation. Never will be a number 1 and I don't know if he can be a number 2.

Babylon
12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
That's about right. He has to catch the ball more consistently also. I think he'll be a solid slot receiver if he lands in the right situation. Never will be a number 1 and I don't know if he can be a number 2.

He's so strong getting off press coverage i wouldnt limit him to the slot. As for whether he's a #1 or #2 that would probably depend on where he ends up.

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 03:25 PM

I called dibs.

Babylon
12-30-2009, 03:27 PM

At least get the benefits.

tobycantbestopped
01-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Cooper will beat both Benn & Bryant in every event at the combine, bank on it, and still get drafted behind both guys, go figure.

zachsaints52
01-01-2010, 10:41 AM
At least get the benefits.

Screw the benefits. I just wanna play.

Go_Eagles77
01-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Cooper will beat both Benn & Bryant in every event at the combine, bank on it, and still get drafted behind both guys, go figure.
Yeah because as we've seen in the past combine events prove how good a player really is.

Babylon
01-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah because as we've seen in the past combine events prove how good a player really is.

There have been a ton of guys who have seen their stock soar on good combines so i wouldnt discount them completely.

tobycantbestopped
01-01-2010, 12:32 PM
There have been a ton of guys who have seen their stock soar on good combines so i wouldnt discount them completely.

To be honest Babylon, I can really see Cooper pulling a Matt Jones and going late first with a lights out senior bowl & sub 4.4 combine.

brat316
01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I hope teams learned from the Matt Jones situation don't draft a project WR in the first round, one that makes a switch from Qb to WR.

With such a weak DB class and Rb class I think there will be quite a few WR taken in the first this year, so he can slip in. Thats if he blows up at the combine, senior bowl, and pro day.

tobycantbestopped
01-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I hope teams learned from the Matt Jones situation don't draft a project WR in the first round, one that makes a switch from Qb to WR.

With such a weak DB class and Rb class I think there will be quite a few WR taken in the first this year, so he can slip in. Thats if he blows up at the combine, senior bowl, and pro day.

Well I think that would be a pretty good possibility, and for the record, this isn't a weak RB class, both Spiller & Gerhart are top notch in my opinion.

brat316
01-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Well I think that would be a pretty good possibility, and for the record, this isn't a weak RB class, both Spiller & Gerhart are top notch in my opinion.

Keep giving me names, you gave 2 names. In that case all the positions are stacked.

RaidersInYoFace
01-01-2010, 12:56 PM

If he shows the same promise Murphy did his rookie year, He should be selected in the 3rd rd. Louis Murphy is a very solid #2 WR that runs great routes and very nice hands

So far Louis Murphy is making Heyward-Bey look like a little beach

Bey needs to give his money back and pay Louis Murphy

Babylon
01-01-2010, 12:58 PM
To be honest Babylon, I can really see Cooper pulling a Matt Jones and going late first with a lights out senior bowl & sub 4.4 combine.

It would have helped if Jones had developed better but he has been his own worst enemy (that may be a mental not physical problem).

I dont think Cooper is quite polished enough to get into the 1st. Size and speed wise he certainly is though.

Cigaro
01-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Pick me, pick me!

nhlkdog411
01-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I think he might get his wish after today's bowl performance :p

SenorGato
01-02-2010, 01:53 AM
If he shows the same promise Murphy did his rookie year, He should be selected in the 3rd rd. Louis Murphy is a very solid #2 WR that runs great routes and very nice hands

So far Louis Murphy is making Heyward-Bey look like a little beach

Bey needs to give his money back and pay Louis Murphy

I became a Murphy fan when I saw him throw two big blocks on the Russell to Miller TD against the Eagles. One is nice from a rookie WR, two...one way downfield that seals the deal...is very nice. Definitely looks like a solid player.

Like the comparison between the two players. I liked Murphy for the Jets last year, but I didn't expect him to be so polished. Hurt my bias against Florida players, though I liked him because he was underhyped at a big program. Cooper has the same thing going for him.

RGVBadBoy
01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
IF he runs a 4.3 at the Combine, Cooper will be wearing the Silver and Black in Oakland

SnowPatrol
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
I think after the Sugar Bowl his stock is on the rise, on his 80 yard bomb that guy was flying down the field, he totally dusted both the corner & safety that were chasing him. I'm not sure about sub 4.4 but low 4.4 seems pretty accurate to me. Late 2nd round anyone?

RealityCheck
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow got picked in the 1st.

01-04-2010, 08:34 PM

We have space for another Gator if we decide to not keep JLH around. You know Al's gonna fall for his speedzzz! Let's make it happen!!!

Babylon
01-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow got picked in the 1st.

He doesnt look like a polished route runner just yet so even with his blazing speed i doubt he gets near the 1st round. Matt Jones did it but teams might look at that result as a negative.

SnowPatrol
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
He doesnt look like a polished route runner just yet so even with his blazing speed i doubt he gets near the 1st round. Matt Jones did it but teams might look at that result as a negative.

I think Matt Jones is even more freaky then Cooper, Jones was 6'6 and 242lbs when he ran that 4.37, which has never been done before or since for that matter. There are a few, not many, at Cooper's 6'3ish height that have run sub 4.4, so the OMG factor, even if he breaks 4.4, won't be there like it was for Jones. BTW its a disgrace that Jones is not in the league anymore.

brat316
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I think Matt Jones is even more freaky then Cooper, Jones was 6'6 and 242lbs when he ran that 4.37, which has never been done before or since for that matter. There are a few, not many, at Cooper's 6'3ish height that have run sub 4.4, so the OMG factor, even if he breaks 4.4, won't be there like it was for Jones. BTW its a disgrace that Jones is not in the league anymore.

how is it a disgrace? He forced himself out of the league with his coke issues. And who is it a disgrace?

Babylon
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
how is it a disgrace? He forced himself out of the league with his coke issues. And who is it a disgrace?

Good to know there are zero players in the league that have never done drugs. Nice to see they've cleaned that up.

ElectricEye
01-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I really, really, really like Riley Cooper. The speed is legit. His hands and route running aren't always all there, but they aren't bad either. We'll see. Florida wide receivers are traditionally fools gold, but Harvin and Murphy have looked damn good so far. No reason to think Cooper can't have similar success.

Scotty D
01-04-2010, 11:36 PM

Its a disgrace to the racist followers of white football players

stlouisfan37
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Dallas newspaper suggested he would be a 4th or 5th round pick.

brat316
01-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Good to know there are zero players in the league that have never done drugs. Nice to see they've cleaned that up.

I never said their aren't players who have drug problems. The NFL does try and help these player, by keeping them in the substance abuse program. But if the slip up they are obviously gonna be on their way out.

Stamper
01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
i dont see him in the nfl, primarily cause he's white...... what?

Babylon
01-05-2010, 12:31 AM
I never said their aren't players who have drug problems. The NFL does try and help these player, by keeping them in the substance abuse program. But if the slip up they are obviously gonna be on their way out.

Agree. Jones may be his own worst enemy. His latest screwup was actually beer related. My guess is he'll get a chance next year but needs to show he's serious about the NFL. After the Eagles gave Michael Vick a second chance i figure it applies to just about everyone else.

As for where Cooper will go in the draft, seeing where Darius Heyward Bey was chosen based pretty much soley on size and speed, i can see Cooper's stock soaring for the same reason. Coopers numbers at Florida this year were clearly better than DHB's last year Maryland.

RealityCheck
01-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Dallas newspaper suggested he would be a 4th or 5th round pick.
No. Most likely he will be gone by the late 2nd.

SnowPatrol
01-05-2010, 10:32 AM

I think the guy made one mistake, Vick got another chance, Adam Jones got another chance, why not Matt Jones?

SnowPatrol
01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Its a disgrace to the racist followers of white football players

What the hell is that comment about????????????? I didn't say ANYTHING about Jones being white! If you like a player that happens to be white your a racist???????? I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, so I will let that go, besides your a mod and i just signed up, so whatever.

Hines
01-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I think the guy made one mistake, Vick got another chance, Adam Jones got another chance, why not Matt Jones?

Matt Jones got caught with coke more than once.

Regarding Cooper, I think he could be a solid slot reciever who could develop into a solid number 2. The Florida track record of recievers is not good, but it seems like Harvin and Murphy are breaking that.

jared
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Regarding Cooper, I think he could be a solid slot reciever who could develop into a solid number 2. The Florida track record of recievers is not good, but it seems like Harvin and Murphy are breaking that.

You don't put height, long speed, and unrefined route running in the slot.

SnowPatrol
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM

How does a 6'3 215lbs burner best "project" to the slot, and not on the outside where he can use his speed?

ElectricEye
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM
He's not what is viewed as a prototypical slot receiver today. Not in the Welker/Bess mold at all. He reminds me a bit of Miles Austin from a height/speed perspective(although I don't think he'll run 4.29 haha). If all goes right with him and he develops well, I could see him being a similar player.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Mike Vick was a pro Bowler, PacMan was very promising, Matt Jones was a bust.

PickedOffTwice
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM

I would say to himself. He has all the talent in the world and all the second chances needed. Yet, he pissed it away...

nhlkdog411
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
He's not what is viewed as a prototypical slot receiver today. Not in the Welker/Bess mold at all. He reminds me a bit of Miles Austin from a height/speed perspective(although I don't think he'll run 4.29 haha). If all goes right with him and he develops well, I could see him being a similar player.

He ran a 4.47 at the combine...I'll never understand why people would take Pro Day times over combine times...

SnowPatrol
01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Mike Vick was a pro Bowler, PacMan was very promising, Matt Jones was a bust.

Ummm no,

#1 Vick sucked, currently sucks, always will suck. He was nothing more then an ESPN media hype job.

#2. Adam Jones had one decent year, just like Matt Jones, then went on to commit one violent crime after another, and the only reason he is out of the league right now is because he ummmm SUCKS.

#3 Matt Jones had a great year, was really coming on, the light went on, and then, he made a DUMB mistake, and now is blacklisted. I just find it hard to believe that the NFL's fastest man IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE (this is not my opinion, its a fact based on his 4.37 combine time in the 40 yard dash)over 240lbs is not wanted on any NFL team unless that directive is sent from the top.

SnowPatrol
01-06-2010, 05:34 PM
He ran a 4.47 at the combine...I'll never understand why people would take Pro Day times over combine times...

lol I know right, he ran a 4.29 34 yard dash...lol

murdamal86
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Even though it was too early to tell and he was more of a TE, Cornelious Ingram was slated to get some quality PT for the Eagles too. I hope he recovers

TheSlinger
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
#3 Matt Jones had a great year, was really coming on, the light went on, and then, he made a DUMB mistake, and now is blacklisted. I just find it hard to believe that the NFL's fastest man IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE (this is not my opinion, its a fact based on his 4.37 combine time in the 40 yard dash)over 240lbs is not wanted on any NFL team unless that directive is sent from the top.

I'm a Jags fan and this is just lol. He did NOT have a great year he had an ok year because the only other receiving options were Reggie Williams (out of football) and, um... Dennis Northcutt? He's not fast. He's slow. If you've ever seen him run on a football field you'd know that. He has no interest in playing football or improving in any way. He does not want to go over the middle. He does not want to use two hands to catch a ball because that would leave his body exposed. He does not want silly rules to get in the way of his fun.

Saints-Tigers
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Ummm no,

#1 Vick sucked, currently sucks, always will suck. He was nothing more then an ESPN media hype job.

#2. Adam Jones had one decent year, just like Matt Jones, then went on to commit one violent crime after another, and the only reason he is out of the league right now is because he ummmm SUCKS.

1) Vick won lots of games, and really only had minor issues before the dog fighting.

2) Pac Man had lockdown potential, and actually flashed it

3) Wasn't Calvin Johnson 239 like Jones was at the combine, and didn't he run a faster 40? Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 at like 260.

Also, Matt Jones having "all the talent in the world" is a sham. He's really tall, and really fast in a straight line,that's not all the talent in the world, it's a piece to the puzzle, and his stiff hips, lack of receiver skills, and coke habit make his other attributes pretty useless.

SnowPatrol
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Dude, please, remember when the media propaganda was to blame the passing woes on the Falcons on their "terrible" receivers. Gee, what happened when Matt Ryan got there hmmm? They looked pretty good to me. Roddy White became a Pro bowl receiver. The problem was Vick sucked, they won a lot of games despite him, not because of him. As far as Jones/Johnson 40 time comparison. Johnson ran a 4.35 at 239lbs and Jones ran 4.37 @ 242lbs, on a slower track. Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 @ 253lbs, but again, on a faster track. Jones needs a chance, if he gets that, I think he could put up huge numbers.

TheSlinger
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Jones can't put up huge numbers because he doesn't want to.

yourfavestoner
01-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Dude, please, remember when the media propaganda was to blame the passing woes on the Falcons on their "terrible" receivers. Gee, what happened when Matt Ryan got there hmmm? They looked pretty good to me. Roddy White became a Pro bowl receiver. The problem was Vick sucked, they won a lot of games despite him, not because of him. As far as Jones/Johnson 40 time comparison. Johnson ran a 4.35 at 239lbs and Jones ran 4.37 @ 242lbs, on a slower track. Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 @ 253lbs, but again, on a faster track. Jones needs a chance, if he gets that, I think he could put up huge numbers.

I love this argument.

So Chris Redman is a better quarterback than Mike Vick? Roddy White had his his breakout year and first 1000 yard season with Byron Leftwich and Chris Redman throwing him the football.

ThePudge
01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Ummm no,

Pacman Jones was not considered a bust when he was actually on the field, even as a Top 10 pick, Matt Jones certainly was. Jones wasn't a terrible player, but for a player drafted in the first round, he was a disappointment. Who cares how fast he was at 242 pounds. He's down at 218 and isn't any faster. Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 at 239, and he's definitely a bit faster on the field. Jones never was able to become a natural receiver though struggling through sometimes shaky route running, inconsistent hands and focus, and was plagued largely by sheer mediocrity.

Also, nhlkdog, Pro Day times are very often used. Michael Mitchell didn't get drafted in the second round for the 40 he ran at the Combine, but the performance he put on in Athens at last year's Pro Day. Often times players will train harder specifically on the 40 yard dash for their Pro Day, motivated by the need to either improve their time, or simply only really try once. I've said before that 40 yard dashes (and most Combine-type numbers) are like the SAT, you only really keep the highest grade. If you're not too big on the draft process, I must inform you that Pro Day's are important and often close to, equal to, or of greater importance than college all-star weeks or the NFL Combine. As long as you know the weather/field conditions and the surface performed on, Pro Day numbers can easily be used.

nhlkdog411
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Pacman Jones was not considered a bust when he was actually on the field, even as a Top 10 pick, Matt Jones certainly was. Jones wasn't a terrible player, but for a player drafted in the first round, he was a disappointment. Who cares how fast he was at 242 pounds. He's down at 218 and isn't any faster. Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 at 239, and he's definitely a bit faster on the field. Jones never was able to become a natural receiver though struggling through sometimes shaky route running, inconsistent hands and focus, and was plagued largely by sheer mediocrity.

Also, nhlkdog, Pro Day times are very often used. Michael Mitchell didn't get drafted in the second round for the 40 he ran at the Combine, but the performance he put on in Athens at last year's Pro Day. Often times players will train harder specifically on the 40 yard dash for their Pro Day, motivated by the need to either improve their time, or simply only really try once. I've said before that 40 yard dashes (and most Combine-type numbers) are like the SAT, you only really keep the highest grade. If you're not too big on the draft process, I must inform you that Pro Day's are important and often close to, equal to, or of greater importance than college all-star weeks or the NFL Combine. As long as you know the weather/field conditions and the surface performed on, Pro Day numbers can easily be used.

The reason Pro Day times are stupid is that most are hand timed and most are on fast (or in some cases even sloped) surfaces..the combine is an even playing field and thus the ONLY good way to compare 40 times...unless your hurt or not there your Pro Day time shouldn't really be a factor relative to your combine time.

ThePudge
01-07-2010, 12:28 AM
The reason Pro Day times are stupid is that most are hand timed and most are on fast (or in some cases even sloped) surfaces..the combine is an even playing field and thus the ONLY good way to compare 40 times...unless your hurt or not there your Pro Day time shouldn't really be a factor relative to your combine time.

Well that's not true and history backs me up there. Pro Day times can be very significant, and what players do there is often more stock influencing than their post-season all-star game or the NFL Combine. Michael Mitchell went from an Undrafted Free Agent prospect to a Second Round pick based on hand timed, first-hand evaluation, at Ohio University's Pro Day, one that I was lucky enough to attend myself.

Pro Day times can be very legitimate... if they are run on fast surfaces, you factor that in. If they are ran on a slope or with a 15 mph wind at their back, it's factored in when looking at the relevant numbers. "Beanie" Wells in all reality ran an electronically timed 4.34 at his pro day. Now, we know Ohio State's surface is fast, so it's appropriate to add .1 seconds despite the fact that teammate Brian Robiskie ran even faster at the Combine than in Columbus. Wells' 40 time, accurately, was 4.44-4.47, certainly not the 4.59 he ran in Indianapolis.. saying otherwise would be hilariously juvenile, biased, and well, flat out incorrect.

Many prospects have ran a crappy Combine time, but bounced back, prepared differently and ran better at their Pro Day. Their stock certainly is aided if that's the case, so you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone here that Pro Day times are irrelevant (especially to the NFL.) I know you'd change your tune if Toby ran a 4.61 at the Combine, then a 4.48 at his Pro Day.

nhlkdog411
01-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Well that's not true and history backs me up there. Pro Day times can be very significant, and what players do there is often more stock influencing than their post-season all-star game or the NFL Combine. Michael Mitchell went from an Undrafted Free Agent prospect to a Second Round pick based on hand timed, first-hand evaluation, at Ohio University's Pro Day, one that I was lucky enough to attend myself.

Pro Day times can be very legitimate... if they are run on fast surfaces, you factor that in. If they are ran on a slope or with a 15 mph wind at their back, it's factored in when looking at the relevant numbers. "Beanie" Wells in all reality ran an electronically timed 4.34 at his pro day. Now, we know Ohio State's surface is fast, so it's appropriate to add .1 seconds despite the fact that teammate Brian Robiskie ran even faster at the Combine than in Columbus. Wells' 40 time, accurately, was 4.44-4.47, certainly not the 4.59 he ran in Indianapolis.. saying otherwise would be hilariously juvenile, biased, and well, flat out incorrect.

Many prospects have ran a crappy Combine time, but bounced back, prepared differently and ran better at their Pro Day. Their stock certainly is aided if that's the case, so you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone here that Pro Day times are irrelevant (especially to the NFL.) I know you'd change your tune if Toby ran a 4.61 at the Combine, then a 4.48 at his Pro Day.

This is the whole reason they're unreliable, we can't just arbitrarily make a factor for the speed of a track. I'm not saying the times are useless or that scouts don't use them I'm saying they should be taken with more of a grain of salt than people take them...if you run an electronic 4.47 at the combine and run a 4.29 a couple weeks later at your Pro Day there's no real good reason to take the Pro Day time over the combine time when the combine time has a level playing field for comparisons sake. As to the second part I highlighted that's total BS, just because I have a different opinion of the guy than you doesn't mean I'm going to be a total hypocrite about this if he does better at his Pro Day. There's just way too much variance in Pro Day times due to most being hand timed and the surface issues. ****, me and my roommate were both hand timed running sub 4.0 20 yard shuttle times by our schools athletic trainer but that doesn't mean I think that I'm ACTUALLY capable of doing it as fast Kevin Barnes did it last year when he was electronically timed. I was hand time and I have NO clue how my surface compares which is exactly my point about why the combine SHOULD be used if the player was healthy and attended: every player had the same time to prepare (basically), the same surface, the same clock, the same weather...its the PERFECT place to compare their times vs. comparing times from all sorts of different scenarios and conditions.

ThePudge
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
This is the whole reason they're unreliable, we can't just arbitrarily make a factor for the speed of a track. I'm not saying the times are useless or that scouts don't use them I'm saying they should be taken with more of a grain of salt than people take them...if you run an electronic 4.47 at the combine and run a 4.29 a couple weeks later at your Pro Day there's no real good reason to take the Pro Day time over the combine time when the combine time has a level playing field for comparisons sake. As to the second part I highlighted that's total BS, just because I have a different opinion of the guy than you doesn't mean I'm going to be a total hypocrite about this if he does better at his Pro Day. There's just way too much variance in Pro Day times due to most being hand timed and the surface issues. ****, me and my roommate were both hand timed running sub 4.0 20 yard shuttle times by our schools athletic trainer but that doesn't mean I think that I'm ACTUALLY capable of doing it as fast Kevin Barnes did it last year when he was electronically timed. I was hand time and I have NO clue how my surface compares which is exactly my point about why the combine SHOULD be used if the player was healthy and attended: every player had the same time to prepare (basically), the same surface, the same clock, the same weather...its the PERFECT place to compare their times vs. comparing times from all sorts of different scenarios and conditions.

Due to different agents, physical skill-sets, priorities, health, and longer term plans it's foolish to assume all players prepare the same way and are on the same playing field at the NFL Combine. Hell, look at the players like Andre Smith that don't work out, the players that only run and lift, the players that only run through drills/interviews. There are so many different degrees of preparation, physical health, and emphasis that it's tough to take the Combine as the same stage for everyone. The Combine will certainly have different meaning to different players, and the same can be said with Pro Days.

Pro Day numbers must come with an asterisk, but there are most definitely ways to compare a player's performance from Akron's Pro Day to a player's performance in Knoxville, Tennessee for example. As I said, to analyze a Pro Day's numbers you must know the context in which they should be taken. Weather conditions and Surface conditions are no brainers in terms of taking these numbers to mind. Luckily, it's not too difficult to get this information as it's pretty much a given that it is a factor. NFL scouts, coaches, and decision makers pay attention to Pro Days, and so should we.

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2010, 05:01 AM

It's one thing to be identified by the league for having a substance abuse problem, it's quite another when you're arrested by local law enforcement.

And besides, Matt Jones never really produced on the field and was always considered a project at the position.
He seems to not have a lot of 'try hard' in his game, IMO.

SnowPatrol
01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
He never producted because he had terrible QB's throwing him the ball, put him on the Bears and, in my opinion, would be a great receiver. Not saying that as a fact, but with his UNPARRELLED athletic ability, should get that chance next year.

SnowPatrol
01-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Dude, please stop with the Chris Wells has blazing speed mantra, the guy timed 4.59 at the combine. End of Story. By the way, Anthony Gonzalez ran A 4.29 40 as a Junior at OSU's pro day, then ran a 4.44 at the combine, how come your not on Gonzalez's jock like your on Wells?

stephenson86
01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
i think he has some good tools, he wont light it up right away if ever but he has potential to have a good long career...nothing spectacular but i doubt he bombs

ThePudge
01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
He never producted because he had terrible QB's throwing him the ball, put him on the Bears and, in my opinion, would be a great receiver. Not saying that as a fact, but with his UNPARRELLED athletic ability, should get that chance next year.

Mike Sims-Walker did ok.

I love Gonzo, when he's healthy he could easily be one of my favorite slot receivers in the NFL, alongside guys like Wes Welker (make you happy?). You haven't been here too long.... and you know me talking about Wells' speed (mainly in comparison to your boy Gerhart's.)

You're getting banned again, and it's right around the corner. You did surprisingly well hiding your ignorance and identity for the first day or so, but by the second-third day there is no mistaking that you're getting banned again. You're not welcome here with those ignorant, biased, and racist "opinions"... you're bringing unneeded conflict here, and infringing on valid discussion. We accept difference of opinion here, but when such ignorance becomes such a huge factor, you're going to get bashed and you're going to get banned (3-4 times).

Let's see how many more posts you can get until they ban you.

YAYareaRB
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I wonder if Snow Patrol likes any black players?...........

..............people? .............licorice?

murdamal86
01-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Anyway that we can get back on topic?

prock
01-07-2010, 03:37 PM

when it comes to michael vick, the passing numbers dont tell the whole tale. he changed games with his running ability. when you are a better runner than some running backs, you make a major impact on the team that cannot be measured by passing numbers. watch the games, dont just read stats.

Babylon
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Anyway that we can get back on topic?

You guys want Coop there for the Shaguars? you could just draft all Gator players: Haden, Tebow, Spikes, Cooper, Hernandez..............

RealityCheck
01-07-2010, 04:35 PM
You guys want Coop there for the Shaguars? you could just draft all Gator players: Haden, Tebow, Spikes, Cooper, Hernandez..............
I'd rather have them draft USC/UCLA players.

See what I did there?

01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Ummm no,

So all those games he won, the QB rushing record, the decent but not great passing stats were all planted by ESPN?

Pacman had a very good year in his second season as a pro. When you do that, it's a good sign.

Matt Jones' best year was slightly above mediocre. And I don't give a hell about track speed, Matt Jones never once actually used that speed to his advantage. GTFO Steve.

01-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Won despite Vick, just like that year when he got hurt and the team went 2-10, until he came back and went 3-1 as a starter....

I'm sure you'll reply to that one when you come back again, Steve.

Ryden
01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Well I don't think there is any doubt that Vick was holding back his receivers, once Ryan came in they really played well.

neko4
01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
4.3s wouldnt shock me. He ran it in highschool. He ran by a lot of SEC corners that had a lot of speedzzzzz.

As Maryland's offensive coordinator put it, "Theres about 50 guys who run '4.3' 40's out of HS, but then only about 15 guys run a 4.3 at the NFL combine."
Im not saying he wont run it, but its something worth thinking about when people talk about HS players running 4.3s. Although cooper running 4.3 wouldnt be a huge suprise.

Babylon
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
As Maryland's offensive coordinator put it, "Theres about 50 guys who run '4.3' 40's out of HS, but then only about 15 guys run a 4.3 at the NFL combine."
Im not saying he wont run it, but its something worth thinking about when people talk about HS players running 4.3s. Although cooper running 4.3 wouldnt be a huge suprise.

I'll agree with your premise there but i would argue there are 50 guys that run 4.3 out of hs, i think that is a gross exagertation. Cooper's speed in the SEC speaks for itself he doesnt need the combine to validate that.

ElectricEye
01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I'll agree with your premise there but i would argue there are 50 guys that run 4.3 out of hs, i think that is a gross exagertation. Cooper's speed in the SEC speaks for itself he doesnt need the combine to validate that.

Yes he does. He's a raw player. Productive, but not ultra productive. Measurables are going to be a big deal for him, as they are with most one year starters.

Vanguard626
01-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Very impressive Sugar Bowl, is the total prototype as far as size/speed go. I'm very interested to see how he stacks up against the top corner's in the one on one's in the Senior Bowl. This guy could sky-rocket with a sub 4.4 at the combine.

Byrd430
01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm a bit of a homer, but I love this guy. A run-first team would probably be the best fit for him. He blocks well and has the size and speed to get open. A downfield threat who can contribute to the run game. He has to be a very valuable weapon in the middle rounds. Yes, he's raw, but he hasn't shown many mistakes, was Florida's only downfield threat, has size, has speed, has decent hands. He's definitely worth the middle round pick.

Ryden
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I thought he was kinda skinny, but when I saw him in the Sugar Bowl, he was jacked! If this guy runs what some of his fans think he will run, DHB anyone...stranger things have happened.

nhlkdog411
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
He's fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRGKG_kQggY

Babylon
01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I thought he was kinda skinny, but when I saw him in the Sugar Bowl, he was jacked! If this guy runs what some of his fans think he will run, DHB anyone...stranger things have happened.

DHB's story doesnt help Cooper because he was pretty bad this year (thank JR for some of that). It would be like saying Matt Jones came in and made himself a 1st round pick becasue of a great combine, how did that work out?

Ryden
01-08-2010, 06:22 PM
DHB's story doesnt help Cooper because he was pretty bad this year (thank JR for some of that). It would be like saying Matt Jones came in and made himself a 1st round pick becasue of a great combine, how did that work out?

Yea, but Matt Jones had the deck stacked against him in Jacksonville, bad QB play and all,I really think things would have turned out differently for him had he ended up with a team with a good QB that can throw the deep ball. As far as Cooper, he could pull a Jordy Nelson, who with a great Senior Bowl and good 40 time (4.49) ended up getting drafted in the early 2nd. Very similar prospects in size and speed, but cooper is faster, but i don't think as skilled as Nelson as a receiver. But who knows, lets see what happens.

yourfavestoner
01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Very impressive Sugar Bowl, is the total prototype as far as size/speed go. I'm very interested to see how he stacks up against the top corner's in the one on one's in the Senior Bowl. This guy could sky-rocket with a sub 4.4 at the combine.

I called him being the next JORDYZZZZZ right after the Lord himself was drafted.

yourfavestoner
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Yea, but Matt Jones had the deck stacked against him in Jacksonville, bad QB play and all,I really think things would have turned out differently for him had he ended up with a team with a good QB that can throw the deep ball. As far as Cooper, he could pull a Jordy Nelson, who with a great Senior Bowl and good 40 time (4.49) ended up getting drafted in the early 2nd. Very similar prospects in size and speed, but cooper is faster, but i don't think as skilled as Nelson as a receiver. But who knows, lets see what happens.

Poppycock. The only pattens he could ever learn to run were deep outs and curls. He was pretty much uselss beyond that. He had no explosion, no quickness, stiff hips, rose up out of his breaks...I could go on and on. He was absolutely terrible and would have been terrible no matter where he went.

Ryden
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Poppycock. The only pattens he could ever learn to run were deep outs and curls. He was pretty much uselss beyond that. He had no explosion, no quickness, stiff hips, rose up out of his breaks...I could go on and on. He was absolutely terrible and would have been terrible no matter where he went.

Could not POSSIBLY disagree with you more, he has shown more then enough flashes in his 4 years in the league, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

yourfavestoner
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Could not POSSIBLY disagree with you more, he has shown more then enough flashes in his 4 years in the league, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

He showed flashes, yes. They were just too far and few in between.

I like to describe Matt Jones as a picture frame receiver. He was pretty good at working along the sidelines and going up and grabbing jump balls. It took him forever to even become competent at doing these things - Lord knows if he ever would have learned to catch with two hands consistenly, go over the middle, take a hit, or even not rise up out of his breaks. His own lack of effort is what ultimately led to his failures, and he has nobody to blame but himself.

SUP
01-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Cooper will be an asset to a team in the league

Babylon
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I called him being the next JORDYZZZZZ right after the Lord himself was drafted.

Even ahead ot Deckerzzzz and Shipleyzzzz? you are good.

J-Mike88
08-11-2013, 10:43 PM
He showed flashes, yes. They were just too far and few in between.

I like to describe Matt Jones as a picture frame receiver. He was pretty good at working along the sidelines and going up and grabbing jump balls. It took him forever to even become competent at doing these things - Lord knows if he ever would have learned to catch with two hands consistenly, go over the middle, take a hit, or even not rise up out of his breaks. His own lack of effort is what ultimately led to his failures, and he has nobody to blame but himself.
Where's this poster been?

Here's an interesting take on Riley Cooper's "incident".

FykntwHmehg#at=78

Halsey
08-11-2013, 11:11 PM
The guy says people are too sensitive, yet he seems to be throwing a bit of a fit about people's reaction to the Riley Cooper incident. Maybe he should take his own advice.