PDA

View Full Version : Most likely FA Busts?

49ersfan_87
03-12-2007, 03:47 PM
What are some players that you think will not work out in their new teams? You can use any criteria you like, such as being a bad player, or simply being average but not living up to mega deals, etc.

Langston Walker, T/G- Buffalo

Its not any scheme problem. He is just a bad player.

Ashley Lelie, WR- San Francisco

He is a one trick pony. I dont expect him on the roster at this time next year.

I also thought of putting Joey Porter, because he needs talent around him, but in miami he will have that talent (thomas, crowder, taylor surrounding him in the LB core) So id expect him to do decent.

Non_Sequitur
03-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Leonard Davis.

703SKINS202
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
joey porter

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Wes Welker
Ahman Green

bigmac076
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Leonard Davis.
only if he plays tackle which he wont, besides none of these guys are ever going to live up to these ridiculously large contracts. So each guy who got a huge contract you could list.

Sveen
03-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Langston Walker
Visanthe Shiancoe

Best case scenario they are both average which is not good enough considering the money they are being payed.

bearsfan_51
03-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Joey Porter. Leonard Davis.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Let's get some explanations to these 1 word posts are useless.

cardsalltheway
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
only if he plays tackle which he wont, besides none of these guys are ever going to live up to these ridiculously large contracts. So each guy who got a huge contract you could list.

Even if he does play guard, he's still lazy and out of shape. I could definitely see him failing.

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Leonard Davis.

No way, he is playing RG, which means he will dominate. Multiple pro-bowler. Our o-line is set with him and now re-signing Colombo. He won't be lazy in Dallas, he wants to play there. Everyone in arizona sucks, and when they leave they become good, because arizona sucks. Look at Thomas Jones as 1 example.

When Leonard Davis owns, all of us Cowboy fans will throw it in your faces.

Anyway, mine is Nate Clements.

NFLBOY
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Even if he does play guard, he's still lazy and out of shape. I could definitely see him failing. Ahman Green. I think the injuries will catch up to him and he just won't be the same back as he had been.

Handel
Wes Welker

He was traded. Not a FA signing per se. ;)

Xiomera
Any Offensive Lineman that got over 40 million dollars is likely to bust. All these guys got WAY more money then they are worth.

Vikes99ej
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I can't see how Vinsanthe Shiancoe could be a bust. It's not like we paid him that much money.

BigDawg819
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Nate Clements

No way he can live up to that contract. $80 million for a corner not named Champ Bailey or Chris McAlister is ludicrious. Clements is a quality corner don't get me wrong but that contract places him as the elite guy and I don't see it happening. He will be matched up twice a year against the likes of Torry Holt, Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin, and Deion Branch, and while he has the chance to develop into a top caliber guy, he's being paid as one and I feel the pressure of said contract will be too much for him to handle.

Larry
03-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Leonard Davis

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Leonard Davis is not gonna be a bust, he will probably be the best signing because he is playing GUARD!!!!

But w/e, think what you want, we will just throw it in your face next year when he is in the pro-bowl.

Larry
03-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Leonard Davis is not gonna be a bust, he will probably be the best signing because he is playing GUARD!!!!

But w/e, think what you want, we will just throw it in your face next year when he is in the pro-bowl.

I heard he'll be playing RT.

gbpackers0065
03-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Derrick Dockery...........................Let's see how he does without an excellent line around him!

Non_Sequitur
03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Any Offensive Lineman that got over 40 million dollars is likely to bust. All these guys got WAY more money then they are worth.

Steinbach deserved it, I felt. He's a stud.

DeathbyStat
03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Dockery and Steinbach I don't think they can live up to their
contracts

Non_Sequitur
03-12-2007, 04:33 PM

I think he should be moved to NT. That way he can do the usual sit down and not give ground (just make the players go around him) and be considered good.

703SKINS202
03-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Derrick Dockery...........................Let's see how he does without an excellent line around him!

he had an excellent line around him in washington...

SuperMcGee
03-12-2007, 04:38 PM
he had an excellent line around him in washington...

that was his point...

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Well you heard WAY wrong. We re-signed Colombo, who was a good RT last season. Davis will be playing RG, and will dominate it.

hugepunch
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Well you heard WAY wrong. We re-signed Colombo, who was a good RT last season. Davis will be playing RG, and will dominate it.
Leonard Davis. Leonard Davis. Leonard Davis.

Microphon200
03-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Nate Clements

No way he can live up to that contract. $80 million for a corner not named Champ Bailey or Chris McAlister is ludicrious. Clements is a quality corner don't get me wrong but that contract places him as the elite guy and I don't see it happening. He will be matched up twice a year against the likes of Torry Holt, Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin, and Deion Branch, and while he has the chance to develop into a top caliber guy, he's being paid as one and I feel the pressure of said contract will be too much for him to handle.

Finally, somebody who mentions Nate Clements.

princefielder28
03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Leonard Davis, just like him and his high draft pick

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Leonard Davis, no matter where he plays. There was an earlier post about him moving to NT that seems pretty good to me...

Just thought I would like to add that TNewFan41 thinks he can predict the future...

Geo
03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
(I'm assuming by bust, you refer to a free agent who has the biggest chance to bomb. Hardly anyone will live up to their exact numbers, really.)

The Joey Porter signing by the Dolphins probably gets my vote. It's partly understandable/excusable in that it's a completely short-term response by Cam Cameron to help his tenure have a chance at the long-term, but looking at the signing itself in a void, to give 20 mil guaranteed to Joey Porter is questionable at best - especially as Porter could already be on the downslide of his career. Plus with age, injuries and recovery time could come into play.

As an aside, I actually think Derrick Dockery will work out the best among the offensive lineman changing teams this off-season. Steinbach might be the better player, but Dockery will have the better situation.

fenikz
03-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Big will be a average RG getting paid LT money

Clements is getting insane money will only be a top 15 corner

KBear
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Nate Clements

You are aware that no matter what, Clements will not see $80 mil from that contract with the 49ers, even if he comes close to playing at en elite level for them. Thats because the last year of the contract will get voided out as soon as he gets his bonuse ( I believe a roster bonus) the last year gets voided out. So its a 7 years 64 million contract, of which he will probably only last 5 or 6. Which is still a lot of money, but not quite that unreasonable considering the other free agent signings this offseason.

cardsalltheway
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM

And you wonder why you have -3 rep.

toonsterwu
03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm mildly surprised that no one has mentioned Patrick Kerney yet. Like the guy for his UVA roots ... but 19.5 million guaranteed, or whatever the number was, for a 31 year old DE coming off an injury is a lot. He needs a couple 10+ sack seasons to justify that deal. The supporting DL cast around him in Seattle is decent-solid ... but is it enough to free him up for advantageous situations consistently? Extending this some more, if Kerney and Co. don't generate enough pressure, that'll force them to blitz more, exposing a back 7 that is iffy in coverage, although Grant will help some.

bored of education
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
NOT DONNIE EDWARDS and NOT BONAPARTE HARRIS

smittyjs
03-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Ok then.......:rolleyes: why can't someone state there opinion about a certain player??

Damix
03-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Leonard Davis won't be great, its been a while since he played guard and he looks like be ballooned up since those days, even if he gets back down and into shape switch positions again is never easy.

Shiver
03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Two signings I don't like;

Patrick Kerney to Seattle
Joey Porter to Miami

It reminds me of when Hugh Douglas got a large contract from Jacksonville, despite his age. Any time you give that much guaranteed money to 30+ year old pass rusher, it's a dicey proposition.

Geo
03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm mildly surprised that no one has mentioned Patrick Kerney yet. Like the guy for his UVA roots ... but 19.5 million guaranteed, or whatever the number was, for a 31 year old DE coming off an injury is a lot. He needs a couple 10+ sack seasons to justify that deal. The supporting DL cast around him in Seattle is decent-solid ... but is it enough to free him up for advantageous situations consistently? Extending this some more, if Kerney and Co. don't generate enough pressure, that'll force them to blitz more, exposing a back 7 that is iffy in coverage, although Grant will help some.
Excellent point, Kerney slipped my mind. I expect the exact situation with Winstrom to play itself out with Kerney.

703SKINS202
03-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Joey Porter to Miami

It reminds me of when Hugh Douglas got a large contract from Jacksonville, despite his age. Any time you give that much guaranteed money to 30+ year old pass rusher, it's a dicey proposition.

exactly and when its gauranteed, its kick back mode...maybe he wont try as hard to come back from that injury and kick it will tony montana down in the m i a

KBear
03-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Joey Porter to Miami

You dont have to sugar coat it, we can handle the truth. The team would be better of giving that money away to their fans in a publicity stunt.

Shiver
03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Eh, well I've been into it with enough Dolphins fans about the Porter signing. I was one of those who was most vocal that the Dolphins screwed up. He really struggled last year. At his age I only expect his skills and production to further decline. At the least if you sign him to a contract, make it incentive laden. Instead he's getting 20$ Million guaranteed.

The Kerney signing is interesting because every single Falcons fan here was hoping Kerney would leave and the team wouldn't resign him. Because none of us felt he deserved what he was making, at the time, let alone getting a raise. I think that says everything right there. I like Kerney, but he hasn't been good at all the past two years.

Space Ghost
03-12-2007, 06:56 PM
I hate the Langston Walker signing. I don't think he will be starting for us in 2009. I can't imagine a way for him to not be terrible. Not worth that money at all. Would have muich rather just given that money to Lance Briggs when he eventually becomes a Buffalo Bill :D

bigrick0016
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
All of the Browns signings will go wrong because we're the Browns..............sigh

Smokey Joe
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Nate Clements.

Ace
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM

Joey Porter to Miami

Porter will be only 30 years old in like a couple of weeks. I know he's overrated, but I just don't understand why you dog the guy so much. Sure, he isn't great like he was, but he's still a good pass rushing LB and that is what we needed very BADLY on defense.

Shiver
03-12-2007, 07:47 PM
He's good, but he's being paid like he's great. I just think his production could be matched by a draftee at a much significantly lower price, with upside towards the future, that's all.

RaiderNation
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
langston walker

explanation: he played on the raiders oline last year

niel89
03-12-2007, 08:02 PM
All of the Browns signings will go wrong because we're the Browns..............sigh

atleast you admit it:D

dhoe20
03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I can't see how Vinsanthe Shiancoe could be a bust. It's not like we paid him that much money.

lol actually you paid a lot more than what he was worth.

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2007, 08:44 PM

A LOT more than he was worth. I can't even gebin to explain how much they overpayed him.

Hail Browns
03-12-2007, 08:53 PM
atleast you admit it:D

Hey, I hope for Steinbach's sake that he doesn't get hurt. I feel bad for all the FA's who sign with us and get messed up. I really feel sorry for Bentley because of how badly he wanted to play for us.

On the flip side, for the sake of our team, I hope he doesn't get hurt. If he stays healthy he'll be a great help to us.

Smooth Criminal
03-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Micheal Lewis.

Hail Browns
03-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Micheal Lewis.

Good one, I agree with this. Lewis was sad in coverage last year. His only hope is that a change of scenery will help.

Basileus777
03-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Anything more than league minimum is overpaying for the likes of Shiancoe.

Patrick Kerney and Willis McGahee will be the biggest FA/trade busts.

keylime_5
03-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Hmmm....how about.....Cato June in _______.

Caddy
03-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Hmmm....how about.....Cato June in _______.

If Cato June ends up in anything but a Cover 2 defense I could see him being a bust.

neko4
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Fred Smoot, and by sayinbg he'll be a bust I'm saying worse than a nickelback

KWill93
03-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Leonard Davis
Langston Walker
Fred Smoot
Micheal Lewis
Patrick Kerney

Non_Sequitur
03-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Leonard Davis, no matter where he plays. There was an earlier post about him moving to NT that seems pretty good to me...

That was me. There is a reason I smell like Sex Panther, I'm a sarcastic ace...

Non_Sequitur
03-13-2007, 03:18 AM
I agree with all the people who said Patrick Kerney. WHEN he gets injured, he'll look like a bust.

Like John Abraham... he's talented, but can't hold it together and stay healthy.

Shiver
03-13-2007, 03:24 AM
I agree with all the people who said Patrick Kerney. WHEN he gets injured, he'll look like a bust.

Like John Abraham... he's talented, but can't hold it together and stay healthy.

Check your facts; the injury he had last year was the only time he's ever missed time. Per the ESPN commercials; this is what happens when people talk sports out of their ..... ignorance.

Non_Sequitur
03-13-2007, 04:35 AM
Check your facts; the injury he had last year was the only time he's ever missed time. Per the ESPN commercials; this is what happens when people talk sports out of their ..... ignorance.

Yeah, you're right. I thought he was injured the year before as well. No need to get all insulting over it.

30+ lineman who suffered a tough injury last year though, he's probably done.

yourfavestoner
03-13-2007, 04:49 AM

Joey Porter to Miami

I'm sure both deal are structured in ways that the teams can get out of them early, if need be, much like the Douglas deal was.

NIN1984
03-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Langston Walker, Bills are paying him like a pro bowler when really he shouldnít even be starting.

Michael Lewis, I donít see him as a starter in the NFL he canít do much of anything right, he is better off as a role player, 49ers are paying way too much money for a backup.

portermvp84
03-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Langston Walker

BigDawg819
03-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, you're right. I thought he was injured the year before as well. No need to get all insulting over it.

30+ lineman who suffered a tough injury last year though, he's probably done.

Ahhh the stench of Sex Panther....................GET THE FIRE HOSE!

Geo
03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
If Abraham could stay healthy, he'd be a Top 10 DE in this league. I can't say the same for Kerney.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Micheal Lewis.

Thats a nice pick right there. Kind of out of the box. I agree to some degree, becuase who knows if he returns to pro-bowl form or not.

Larry
03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Michael Lewis, I donít see him as a starter in the NFL he canít do much of anything right, he is better off as a role player, 49ers are paying way too much money for a backup.

Not doing anything right must of made him a pro bowler in 05.

mtmock
03-13-2007, 06:47 PM

No Tnew's right he'll be playing gaurd...and most players who leave arizona turn out better ex:thomas jones...hell make at least 2 pro bowls in the next 4 years mark me down on that...nate clements is the biggest bust idc who you are no CB deserves 80 mil

Larry
03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
No Tnew's right he'll be playing gaurd...and most players who leave arizona turn out better ex:thomas jones...hell make at least 2 pro bowls in the next 4 years mark me down on that...nate clements is the biggest bust idc who you are no CB deserves 80 mil

Well Clements has produced over his career unlike a Lazy unmotivated Leonard Davis.

art vandelay
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I actually think Clements will do well in San Fran...he definitely has his ups and downs but his ups are very, very nice.

For my bust though I stay right in San Fran...Michael Lewis. He actually got benched for Sean Considine last year and he gets $10 mill guaranteed?

HawkeyeFan
03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
The BIGGEST Bust will be Ahman Green to Houston.

49ersfan_87
03-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I actually think Clements will do well in San Fran...he definitely has his ups and downs but his ups are very, very nice.

For my bust though I stay right in San Fran...Michael Lewis. He actually got benched for Sean Considine last year and he gets $10 mill guaranteed?

"When safety Michael Lewis signed with the 49ers over the weekend, it was reported as a deal that included $10 million in guarantees. But, according to figures obtained by CBS SportsLine.com, the deal has almost $10 million in roster bonuses -- not guarantees.

Lewis will get a roster bonus of $3.5 million this season, and then if he plays well, he'll get one $3.5 next season and $3 million in 2009. If he doesn't play well, the 49ers can cut him without paying the last two. "

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/10030961

art vandelay
03-13-2007, 09:15 PM
"When safety Michael Lewis signed with the 49ers over the weekend, it was reported as a deal that included $10 million in guarantees. But, according to figures obtained by CBS SportsLine.com, the deal has almost $10 million in roster bonuses -- not guarantees.

Lewis will get a roster bonus of $3.5 million this season, and then if he plays well, he'll get one $3.5 next season and $3 million in 2009. If he doesn't play well, the 49ers can cut him without paying the last two. "

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/10030961

OK, so what's his base salary for this year? Because a $3.5 million dollar roster bonus is very hefty for an average safety.

49ersfan_87
03-13-2007, 09:20 PM
OK, so what's his base salary for this year? Because a $3.5 million dollar roster bonus is very hefty for an average safety.

I didnt find that information.

And i agree its a bit much.

Forenci
03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I'll agree with the original post. Ashley Lelie, of course for how cheap they got him, it won't be the end of the world when he becomes a bust.

Ashley Lelie suffers from bad Karma after demanding a trade out of Denver. Needs to learn how to master is Wax On skills..

I have a feeling Nate Clements will be a good signing for them, he probably won't end up getting the $80 million dollars. Was most likely just to make sure he'd sign with them first.