Rico McCoy OLB 5'11⅛" 216
Chris Scott OT 6'4" 316
Josh McNeil OC 6'3" 290
Jeff Cottam TE 6'7⅜" 258
Demetrice Morley S 6'1⅝" 195

Discuss!!!

wicket
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Since Ive grown to appreciate his potential for the saints Im really curious to see how Dan Williams looks

CashmoneyDrew
12-31-2009, 02:41 PM
No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee

Virginia Tech
Kam Chancellor S 6'3" 225
Sergio Render OG 6'3" 302
Edward Wang OT 6'4⅝" 298
Stephan Virgil CB 5'10" 185
Cameron Martin OLB 6'0⅞" 204
Cody Grimm S 5'10⅜" 203
Brent Bowden PT 6'2" 203
Gregory Boone TE 6'2⅞" 288
Dorian Porch S 5'9" 211
Cordar Thompson DT 6'1⅞" 305

Tennessee
Eric Berry S 5'11" 204
Dan Williams DT 6'2" 311
Montario Hardesty RB 5'11⅛" 204
Rico McCoy OLB 5'11⅛" 216
Chris Scott OT 6'4" 316
Josh McNeil OC 6'3" 290
Jeff Cottam TE 6'7⅜" 258
Demetrice Morley S 6'1⅝" 195

Discuss!!!

Josh McNeil has no knees left.
Jeff Cottam is UDFA at best. Nowhere near as good as his bro.
Demetrice Morley got kicked off the team last spring.

For Virginia Tech, I'm a big Greg Boone fan.

Scotty D
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Excited to watch Berry and Dan Williams tonight, and Ryan Williams a beasssst who is always fun to see.

CashmoneyDrew
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
For anyone who likes to keep an eye on the future like me, some of Tennessee's top younger guys are........

Luke Stocker, TE
The Bryce Brown, HB
Aaron Douglas, RT
Montori Hughes, DT
Chris Walker, DE
Ben Martin, DE
LaMarcus Thompson, LB
Dennis Rogan, CB
Janzen Jackson, FS

Nard_Dog
12-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Couple good prospects to look at, but tonight I want to watch Rico McCoy. On paper he looks like a good player, but when I watch Tennessee I usually pay attention to Berry, and Williams on the defensive side of the ball.

BlackandGrey
12-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I'll be watching to see Ryan Williams. I know he isn't draft eligable, but I've heard a lot without being able to see him this season in a live game. He looks like a homerun hitter type back. Good for the most part, great when he finally finds that one hole.

Odd thing is that I could have sworn David Wilson of VT was the mpre highly regarded recruit. Then again, maybe he got hurt which gave Williams an opening. Won't they also have Darren Evans back from injury next year? I smell a transfer coming from someone. I imagine it would be hard to keep all three happy at once.

CashmoneyDrew
12-31-2009, 07:38 PM
I hope you were all watching that Hardesty run! :D

TitansCJftw
12-31-2009, 08:35 PM
VT should use boooooooooooooooooooooooonnnneeeee some more he is an intriguing prospect to me however he hasnt been used at all this year

D-Unit
12-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Nobody is stopping Ryan Williams... including Dan Williams and Eric "Invisible" Berry.

BlackandGrey
12-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh well, kind of a dog game when all was said and done. Tennessee got there on a fairly mediocre record/schedule, so I guess I shouldn't have expected a closer game. It looked like it would be one in the second, though.

Did anyone stand out? Ryan Williams looked solid. But it wasn't a great game from him.

I've never heard of Jerrett Boykin, WR, VT, but he looks like he has some definate skills. His numbers on the year aren't too bad. Considering VT looks like a running team.

I've never been too impressed with Tyrod Taylor. That said, he's a decent runner and has a decent TD/INT ratio. Maybe someone will draft him as an athlete in 2011.

Tennessee? Maybe they just played poorly or were outclassed. No one really stood out. Although feel free to correct me Tennessee fans. I have no allegience to either school.

TitansCJftw
12-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Did anyone stand out?

jason worilds did big time to me he dominated especially on passing downs when he had a chance to use his speed to get to the qb but he stopped the run effeciently as well coming up with several good plays in the running game as well, worilds the next short VT DE they just keep puttin that type player out over and over

TACKLE
12-31-2009, 11:20 PM
I hope you were all watching that Hardesty run! :D

I did watch the 2nd best RB in this draft run.

superman8456
01-01-2010, 12:06 AM
For Boone's size, his blocking is pretty lackluster. I was hoping that was one part of his game he would excel in. He's an alright receiving threat though.

I love VT's dline though.

FUNBUNCHER
01-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Cody Grimm is the most instinctive/ smartest player in college football and easily Va Tech's best defensive player.

Problem is I don't see a position for him in the pros. He's got the size of a FS, but I doubt he has the speed. Athletically, he probably grades out as a MLB, except he's 5'10, 200#.

Maybe some team will put him in the box as a SS and let him play that midrange game and just make plays.

Every time I watch him Cody just blows my mind with his playmaking ability.

After what Suh did to Wang and Render, it's hard for me to view them as quality pro prospects. Suh just pooped on Va Tech's entire Oline this year.

If Va Tech had more consistent QB play this year, man they had a real shot at the BCS title game!!!

Oh well...maybe one day Beamer will find the next Mike Vick.

BamaFalcon59
01-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I'll be watching to see Ryan Williams. I know he isn't draft eligable, but I've heard a lot without being able to see him this season in a live game. He looks like a homerun hitter type back. Good for the most part, great when he finally finds that one hole.

False. Williams is a workhorse with amazing quickness and open field ability. The rare workhorse who is also extremely explosive. Not to mention he is all business and a leader of the team as a redshirt freshman.

Odd thing is that I could have sworn David Wilson of VT was the mpre highly regarded recruit. Then again, maybe he got hurt which gave Williams an opening. Won't they also have Darren Evans back from injury next year? I smell a transfer coming from someone. I imagine it would be hard to keep all three happy at once.

Also false. Wilson and Williams were both top 50 recruits, but Wilson is a year behind Williams, as Williams redshirted. Wilson will be a big time RB for us.

Oh well, kind of a dog game when all was said and done. Tennessee got there on a fairly mediocre record/schedule, so I guess I shouldn't have expected a closer game. It looked like it would be one in the second, though.

Did anyone stand out? Ryan Williams looked solid. But it wasn't a great game from him.

I've never heard of Jerrett Boykin, WR, VT, but he looks like he has some definate skills. His numbers on the year aren't too bad. Considering VT looks like a running team.

I've never been too impressed with Tyrod Taylor. That said, he's a decent runner and has a decent TD/INT ratio. Maybe someone will draft him as an athlete in 2011.

You obviously have no knowledge of the team, and even said this is the first game you saw live all year. Taylor is a beast, he has both passing ability and athletic ability. He also put his arm strength on display last night.

Tennessee? Maybe they just played poorly or were outclassed. No one really stood out. Although feel free to correct me Tennessee fans. I have no allegience to either school.

Cody Grimm is the most instinctive/ smartest player in college football and easily Va Tech's best defensive player.

Problem is I don't see a position for him in the pros. He's got the size of a FS, but I doubt he has the speed. Athletically, he probably grades out as a MLB, except he's 5'10, 200#.

Maybe some team will put him in the box as a SS and let him play that midrange game and just make plays.

Every time I watch him Cody just blows my mind with his playmaking ability.

He will be a strong safety, and his athletic ability is underrated. He straight hawked Upchurch from Bama in the season's opener. That said, it's not good enough to allow him to be a full time starter. Likely a backup SS and special teams phenom.

After what Suh did to Wang and Render, it's hard for me to view them as quality pro prospects. Suh just pooped on Va Tech's entire Oline this year.

Wang and Render are both average. Both have a ton of potential, but have their own issues holding them back; nastiness for Wang and a motor for Render.

If Va Tech had more consistent QB play this year, man they had a real shot at the BCS title game!!!

Nah. Taylor was consistant all year. He performed very well in our loss to GT (one pick was on a hail mary, the other was on a tipped ball), and wasn't too bad in our loss to North Carolina. He also single handedly (with the WRs) won the Duke game. Taylor was perfect for us this season, our defense is what failed us. Layed an egg against GT and couldn't make a stop against UNC.

Oh well...maybe one day Beamer will find the next Mike Vick.

Comments in bold.

And I'll say it again, the only thing holding Ryan Williams back from being an AP type prospect are his triangle numbers. He isn't too small (5'9"/ 5'10" and 210 pounds) or slow (4.50), but it's not ideal. However, his acceleration, vision, quickness, determination, power, intelligence, leadership, receiving ability, and willingness to block are all top notch.

His nickname is Lil' Sweetness, and it's fitting.

FUNBUNCHER
01-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Tyrod Taylor is NOT a consistent QB throwing the football. A 56% completion percentage and 13 TDs with the talent Va Tech has at the wideout position is pathetic.

It's no accident pro scouts had no idea how good a WR Eddie Royal was at Va Tech.

Taylor is a streaky to poor passer, and is more of a playmaker than a pure QB.

Too bad for the Hokies he has one more year of eligibility.

And Ryan Williams has elite game speed, I don't really care what he times at officially. On tape he looks as fast or faster than former Va Tech RB Kevin Jones, who ran a 10.2 100 meter in HS.

BamaFalcon59
01-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Tyrod Taylor is NOT a consistent QB throwing the football. A 56% completion percentage and 13 TDs with the talent Va Tech has at the wideout position is pathetic.

It's no accident pro scouts had no idea how good a WR Eddie Royal was at Va Tech.

Taylor is a streaky to poor passer, and is more of a playmaker than a pure QB.

Too bad for the Hokies he has one more year of eligibility.

And Ryan Williams has elite game speed, I don't really care what he times at officially. On tape he looks as fast or faster than former Va Tech RB Kevin Jones, who ran a 10.2 100 meter in HS.

LOL.

What a fool. You have zero idea of what you are talking about.

Hmm, 56%? Let's see. First, I want you to notice his yards per attempt, then his yards per completion. 9.51 and 17, respectively. His YPA is good for second in the nation, behind only the gimicky SMU QB Padron. It is the highest for a QB in a BCS conference. His YPC is the best in the nation by over half a yard.

Now, let's use this information. VT does not check the ball down, we push the ball down field. Greg Boone had seven receptions this season. The backup tight ends had five more. Ryan Williams had 16. The backup RBs had three more. Kenny Jefferson, the FB, had one. Our top four wide receivers (Boykin, Coale, Roberts, Davis) accounted for 97 receptions, and three of the receivers averaged over 20 yards per reception. The only one that did not, Dyrell Roberts, averaged 17.7 a grab.

Some additional information, our top two receivers (Boykin and Coale), are not gifted after the catch. We can infer that the majority of these yards are not after the catch.

We don't run ten bubble screens a game, fifteen slants, and five halfback screens. His completion percentage is not going to be 65% in an offense that pushes the ball down field.

56% is not astounding, but it does not indicate that he is inconsistant.

But, if you want stats... Taylor had a QB efficiency rating of 149.39, good for fifteenth in the country, fourth best among Big 6 QBs. As for consistancy, Taylor had a rating of 140 or better in nine of thirteen games this season.

Three of the teams that Taylor played when having a rating of 140 or less ranked in the top 10 nationally in total defense (Alabama, North Carolina, Nebraska).

Taylor threw five interceptions on the year, none of which were truly bad decisions by him. Although, he did throw one last night that I did not see. The one against Marshall was made on a play that garnished ESPN's number one play of the day, one against GT was tipped and caught by a defensive lineman, another was a hail mary.

Taylor made very, very few bad decisions with the ball.

As for the "he's just a playmaker" comment, Taylor tucked the ball and ran fewer than 70 times on the season. He is a playmaker in that he looks to pass first, and buys time for his receivers. Not in the way you implied.

Saying "Too bad for the Hokies he has one more year of eligibility," makes you look even more ignorant.

And RW has great speed in the first twenty to thirty yards. Kevin Jones top speed was much better than Williams'.

TitanHope
01-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Bamafalcon is a complete and utter asshole who believes his opinions on individual players automatically make them true.

TRUE!

What a lonely, hostile little prick you must be.

Personal attacks aren't allowed on this forum. Mind your manners.

JRTPlaya21
01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh man how did I miss this thead....! Ryan Williams for Heisman 2010. That is all.

ThePudge
01-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Bamafalcon is a complete and utter asshole who believes his opinions on individual players automatically make them true.

TRUE!

What a lonely, hostile little prick you must be.

I don't approve the personal attack, but it'd have been nice to be a bit more sensitive to a new poster that didn't exactly display his opinion as a fact, or even a well-constructed view. He made unbiased assumptions based on what he saw in one game, and got jumped on.

BlackandGrey, the personal attack thing is a pretty serious offense around these forums, so it might be best that you edit the post here (simply not to get banned/referred, etc.) I don't think you should have been jumped on in the first place though, as you illustrated your point as a one game observation. Just chill with calling people out and you'll be fine here, it's really a pretty friendly place.... a lot of passionate people though, so you may have to let some things roll off your back. Good place for discussion though.

FUNBUNCHER
01-01-2010, 09:29 PM
BamaFalcon, I've been watching Hokie football since before your mother had her first bout of morning sickness!!!

I know more guys who were recruited and played for Va Tech and have intimate knowledge of the program.

I'm from Virginia, kid, and attended TC there in the summer during HS football.

I know what I'm talking about and Taylor will NEVER be an NFL QB. He makes plays, but he also is a very streaky passer who limits Beamer's offense.

If Beamer ever recruits a true passer at QB, with their current talent level on offense, the Hokies would be unstoppable.

Stop hating on people because they don't bend over and whitewash everything as sunny skies for the Hokies.

EDIT: Pudge, you're right about the personal attacks being antithetical on a discussion forum, but oftentimes it's vet posters like Bamafalcon who instigate these altercations and don't seem to get called on it.

Quote from BamaFalcon:

" LOL.

What a fool. You have zero idea of what you are talking about."

How does that ad hominem attack from the jump promote a positive exchange of opinions and ideas???

IMO too many vet posters lob grenades then run and hide when someone responds.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

JRTPlaya21
01-01-2010, 09:34 PM
BamaFalcon, I've been watching Hokie football since before your mother had her first bout of morning sickness!!!

I know more guys who were recruited and played for Va Tech and have intimate knowledge of the program.

I know what I'm talking about and Taylor will NEVER be an NFL QB. He makes plays, but he also is a very streaky passer who limits Beamer's offense.

If Beamer ever recruits a true passer at QB, with their current talent level on offense, the Hokies would be unstoppable.

Stop hating on people because they don't bend over and whitewash everything as sunny skies for the Hokies.

I think I just creamed my pantz.

ThePudge
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM

EDIT: Pudge, you're right about the personal attacks being antithetical on a discussion forum, but oftentimes it's vet posters like Bamafalcon who instigate these altercations and don't seem to get called on it.

Quote from BamaFalcon:

" LOL.

What a fool. You have zero idea of what you are talking about."

How does that ad hominem attack from the jump promote a positive exchange of opinions and ideas???

IMO too many vet poster lob grenades then run and hide when someone responds.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

I'm here sticking up for the new guy, he got jumped on and did nothing but post an unbiased impression from the game he just watched. I'm cool with that, he's just got to know that here personal attacks are punished, so I let him know to try not to do that. I think he was right to be a bit angry, and when I saw he was neg repped, I +repped him a bit and let him know he was fine in the first place.

Nothing wrong or overly assuming in the first place, so I believe he'd have stayed very civil if the conversation had only been a simple, well-defended disagreement. Hopefully, he doesn't get referred for that...as he's a new guy that was greeted with a bit of hostility when he put out an unbiased observation.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2010, 01:20 AM

He doesn't need to be. Tim Tebow likely isn't a NFL QB. Brad Smith wasn't. Matt Jones. Robinson from PSU. Etc etc.. The response was based purely on your statement that said Tyrod was holding VT back. Any VT fan would know that that is false. He was excellent for us this season, and fit perfectly into what we needed at the QB position.

False. With a 'true passer' at QB this season we lose a couple more games. Simply put, Tyrod made a ton of plays by evading the pass rush and launching the ball down field. A 'true passer' gets killed behind our offensive line. And for those who watched the UT game, that isn't the lines average performance.

I could put a poll up in an ACC forum or a VT forum and the overwhelming majority would acknowledge that Tyrod was an asset to this years squad, not a liability.

Sorry about the personal insult, I was a bit touchy after drinking too much last night.

FUNBUNCHER
01-02-2010, 02:31 AM
I put the loss to UNC at home squarely at the feet of Tyrod. Maybe that's not fair, but a few more completions and more drives kept alive, and the Hokies win that game.

I just wish that instead of looking for dual threat QBs, Beamer would try to find athletic pocket passers who can scramble.

I know Glennon was supposed to be that type of QB, but if Beamer ever found a pass first signal caller with just enough athletic ability to get outside the pocket, Va Tech would be a dominant team offensively.

Your QB doesn't need to have the elusiveness of a RB to be successful.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I put the loss to UNC at home squarely at the feet of Tyrod. Maybe that's not fair, but a few more completions and more drives kept alive, and the Hokies win that game.

Then you didn't watch the game. Tyrod was not good, but the defense was most to blame. Ryan Williams and Jarrett Boykin each fumbling was the second key, then Tyrod.

I just wish that instead of looking for dual threat QBs, Beamer would try to find athletic pocket passers who can scramble.

Wow. This is what Tyrod did. All. Year. He rarely actually took off and ran, he used his feet to buy time and make the throws.

I know Glennon was supposed to be that type of QB, but if Beamer ever found a pass first signal caller with just enough athletic ability to get outside the pocket, Va Tech would be a dominant team offensively.

Okay, so if we find a Colt McCoy type talent we are set.

Your QB doesn't need to have the elusiveness of a RB to be successful.

Ha! First off, I'm not argueing for Tyrod as a pro, although I believe he has a shot to be a Seneca Wallace, a backup QB who if he succeeds sticks there, and if not moves to WR. But, this further proves your ignorance. Tyrod has outstanding agility. Outstanding. If anything holds him back from being a WR (he won't be a RB at 6'1" 215), then it is his top speed (I'm guessing 4.55) and durability.

Ten character minimum.

ImBrotherCain
01-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree with Bama... Tyrod has improved year after year and took big strides this season. His first season he had good receivers but was raw. His second season he had freshman WR. This season is really the first season he has had time to develop with the WRs.

He became a much better passer this season and it was shown that during the games that he tried to be a strictly pocket passer he was a lot more ineffective. Later in the season he avoided the pass rush bought time and won us games this way.

Next season i expect big things out of Tyrod.

He doesn't need to be. Tim Tebow likely isn't a NFL QB. Brad Smith wasn't. Matt Jones. Robinson from PSU. Etc etc.. The response was based purely on your statement that said Tyrod was holding VT back. Any VT fan would know that that is false. He was excellent for us this season, and fit perfectly into what we needed at the QB position..

I sat there with my roommate watching the game saying this exact same thing