PDA

View Full Version : Lions sign WR McDonald! (So long, Curtis...)

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 04:47 PM
http://spartannation.com/?p=2144
EXCLUSIVE LIONS BREAKING NEWS: LIONS SIGN RAM WR SHAUN MCDONALD!
By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.

The Lions stayed on this deal and were able to get it done moments ago.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
LIONS LAND McDONALD

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Lions have agreed to terms with receiver Shaun McDonald.

McDonald, formerly of the Rams, signed a two-year, $2.8 million deal with $1.5 million in guaranteed money.

Drafted by Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz when Martz had final say over the roster as coach of the Rams, McDonald has appeared in 56 career games, and has 106 catches for 1,215 yards and four touchdowns.

Last year, Martz lured former Rams receiver Mike Furrey to Detroit. Furrey responded with a breakout season, and has since signed a long-term deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2796237

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions agreed to terms on a two-year contract with free agent Shaun McDonald on Monday, strengthening a receiving corps that includes Roy Williams and Mike Furrey.

In four seasons with St. Louis, McDonald had 106 receptions for 1,215 yards and four touchdowns.

McDonald will reunite with former Rams coach Mike Martz, Detroit's offensive coordinator.

The 5-foot-10, 183-pound receiver had just 13 catches for 136 yards and a score last year after two productive seasons for a reserve. He had 46 receptions for 523 yards in 2004 and had three of his 37 catches were for TDs in 2003.

Wow. Glad we got at least one of them.

I guess the Lions wern't playing hardball with Curtis after all.

JPLUFF
03-12-2007, 05:02 PM
How can anyone not like this signing? He's cheaper than Curtis, knows the offense, and now we have a solid 3rd wideout to compliment Roy and Furrey. Good move by the Lions

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 05:11 PM
How can anyone not like this signing? He's cheaper than Curtis, knows the offense, and now we have a solid 3rd wideout to compliment Roy and Furrey. Good move by the LionsExactly. Agree completely.

Cant wait to see the WRs on the field next year.

Newbs24
03-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Good signing. The offense does not worry me at all except for the line but I think we have done a decent job filling in the holes. Still would like to see us grab Blalock if he is around when we have our second pick. The D needs instant impact playmakers. This has to be one of the better offseasons I can remember. I just hope they aren't tempted to any someone that we don't really need.

Pocket
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
:O

Very, very awesome. Enough of the CJ talk now.

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Good signing. The offense does not worry me at all except for the line but I think we have done a decent job filling in the holes. Still would like to see us grab Blalock if he is around when we have our second pick. The D needs instant impact playmakers. This has to be one of the better offseasons I can remember. I just hope they aren't tempted to any someone that we don't really need.I think the line should be even less of a concern... if they can stay healthy. Injuries were horrible last year... and we've only improved the players we have.

IF we trade down in round 1, we can draft a slew of day 1 players... and that'll definately help the team for next year.

Very, very awesome. Enough of the CJ talk now.I didn't think we'd sign him before... now I definately dont see it happening.

Vikes99ej
03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Woo-hoo!!! (Probably still means Curtis is going to blow us off)

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Woo-hoo!!! (Probably still means Curtis is going to blow us off)Haha. He wants western-based teams... like the Eagles or the Giants.

(A "news report" joke. Nevermind...)

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Good signing. This is what I wanted all along. I was never a huge supporter of signing Curtis. I think Furrey earned the right to be considered #2.

I now fully expect Detroit to consider Johnson IF they are forced to pick at 2, but most likely, I think Detroit drafts a WR in the middle rounds. Someone like Steve Smith from USC.

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 06:03 PM

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the link... added it to the main post.

Notredameleo
03-12-2007, 09:01 PM
nice signing

Scotty D
03-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Very nice signing. After a couple of days I realized I wanted him more than Curtis. He should be a better number 3 than anyone who played it last year.

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Very nice signing. After a couple of days I realized I wanted him more than Curtis. He should be a better number 3 than anyone who played it last year.
Very true.

Jagonsucker
03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
im impressed with the type of players Detroits bringing in. We're looking like the Pistons(no real all star players, more gritty and good and play with heart). Good signing. No CJ i guess

KCJ58
03-12-2007, 11:41 PM
god every1 want there hands onour WR u know we just produce so many good ones

TacticaLion
03-13-2007, 04:17 AM
god every1 want there hands onour WR u know we just produce so many good ones

Substitute "we just produce" with "Martz just produces" and you've got yourself a true statement.

Addict
03-13-2007, 05:13 AM

Very, very awesome. Enough of the CJ talk now.

NEVER enough of CJ. You can't seriously believe that this guy could ever hope/pray/dream to stand in CJ's shadow.

TacticaLion
03-13-2007, 05:55 AM
NEVER enough of CJ. You can't seriously believe that this guy could ever hope/pray/dream to stand in CJ's shadow.No... but we've solidified the WR position. Now, we can fill a position of need in the first round of the draft.

P-L
03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
NEVER enough of CJ. You can't seriously believe that this guy could ever hope/pray/dream to stand in CJ's shadow.

Shaun McDonald has proven himself to be a decent receiver in the NFL. What has Calvin Johnson proved in the NFL? A whole lot of nothing.