PDA

View Full Version : Car Help

BaLLiN
01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
So this break has been pretty bad, i need to have knee surgery for a broken bone (my patella tendon pulled so hard on my tibia that it fractured), i got a flat in my moms car after just earning her trust, and then my brother let me borrow his car and this great incident occurred.

I was done watching a hockey game in a local arena, left, was driving out of the parking lot and a man ran and hit my mirror as i was turning. I was scared and didnt know what to do so i just went knowing that the mirror was hit a little. But then i pulled over and looked at it closely and it was detached. a piece of the plastic was missing (it really had no importance though) and the mirror was loose. Also there was a tiny crack in the back of the main part. So im pretty much ******, i drive home and then tell my brother who wails me, then tell him i dont think its that bad. He slams the door and we're locked outside, eventually i get a friend to drive us to our moms house and here we are.

Do you think this will cost 500+ dollars? Can we possibly use the mirror which isn't cracked and the plastic holding it which is basically just cracked and looks like it can be snapped back into place.

great way to start out the new year :(

cvv84
01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
The outside mirrors are usually spring loaded so chances are the spring is either over stretched or came off when he hit it. If you're going to fix it yourself you're going to have to take apart the door panel. I can't imagine a mechanic charging you more than $250 if they can salvage the mirror. Best thing would be to call around to different places, explain whats wrong with the mirror, and see how much they'll charge to fix it.

BaLLiN
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
any mechanics here?

vikes_28
01-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Duct tape is your friend.

TACKLE
01-03-2010, 03:24 AM
A bus pass is your friend.

brat316
01-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Car share is your friend as well. your not 25 though

stephenson86
01-03-2010, 03:58 AM
it wont cost a lot to fix a mirror they just need to replace what will be a cheap plastic fitting...look around and get some quotes though because they will try and rip you off. also go in like you already know whats wrong...if you talk to them the way your talking to us they will think you havent got the ******* foggyest and take your wallet to bed

brat316
01-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Also try going to a junk yard and finding the car and just take that mirror if you can.

fenikz
01-03-2010, 04:29 AM
my patella tendon is now my acl

MetSox17
01-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Just go to a junkyard to look for the plastic casing. It shouldn't cost you too much. Sure as hell won't cost you more than 100 dollars total, with the casing AND the labor. Like someone earlier said, don't go to a mechanic willing to just throw money at the problem because they will anally rape you if you do. Just get the part you need replaced, and have it done. It won't be muchc.

Brent
01-03-2010, 08:56 AM
what kind of car do you have?

finding a replacement side mirror shouldn't be hard, and replacing it on your own is an easy task.

CJSchneider
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Just go to a junkyard to look for the plastic casing. It shouldn't cost you too much. Sure as hell won't cost you more than 100 dollars total, with the casing AND the labor. Like someone earlier said, don't go to a mechanic willing to just throw money at the problem because they will anally rape you if you do. Just get the part you need replaced, and have it done. It won't be muchc.

A new mirror will cost around $100-$120. If you can get it at a junkyard, you are looking at $10-$15. Taking the old mirror off and putting the new one on is easy.

BaLLiN
01-03-2010, 10:11 AM
its not the mirror, its the plastic casing, and what cvv84 said makes sense, the actual mirror is just loose which probably means the spring is out, but idk if you could find a plastic casing for a ford focus that wouldnt mess up the wiring (its electronically adjusted).

LizardState
01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Avoid dealerships & their parts depts. like an airborne H1N1 virus.

stephenson86
01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
its not the mirror, its the plastic casing, and what cvv84 said makes sense, the actual mirror is just loose which probably means the spring is out, but idk if you could find a plastic casing for a ford focus that wouldnt mess up the wiring (its electronically adjusted).

dont know about the states but if u came to a scrapyard here you would be falling over the focus

the decider13
01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I had a broken side mirror that I had to replace late last year. I ended up shopping online and got a heated mirror for around 75 bucks. I was able to replace it myself, but it was a major pain in the ass.

http://www.discountautoparts.com/

I believe this is the site I used.

CJSchneider
01-03-2010, 11:56 AM

When you buy a new mirror, you get the casing as well. When you look at the mirror from inside the car, you will be able to see a panel that you can remove that will allow you access to the entire mirror assembly. It's usually 3 bolts that can be removed and be able to change out the whole mirror. The toughest part is going to be if you have a mirror that can be adjusted by a toggle on your arm rest. That can be a pain, but is still easily doable.

Hurricanes25
01-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Duct tape is your friend.

I have tried that before and it doesn't work. Trust me.

BaLLiN
01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
thanks everyone, really helped

wogitalia
01-04-2010, 02:09 AM
If it is electronic then it probably is safer to get a professional to do it.

Best way to keep it cheap is to hit up a junkyard and get a new mirror from them, have a look if you can do it yourself, if not, ring a few different mechanics and get quotes to attach a mirror, stress that you have the mirror, normally it is the parts that really cost you at a mechanic, the actual service is not that expensive.

If you can't find a reasonable quote, ask some friends, you must know someone who is at least mechanically sound that will be able to help you, be it an electrician, mechanic or some other hands on type person.

Vikes99ej
01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Cars ******* suck.

Job
01-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Cars ******* suck.

You are my new lover.

BaLLiN
01-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Cars ******* suck.

i concur my friend

Vikes99ej
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
You are my new lover.

Seriously, if I could walk everywhere, I would. All I need are my headphones. Of course, I don't live in a world of 40 hour days, so I'm stuck taking my piece of **** when I need to get to Walmart.