PDA

View Full Version : Rams CB Travis Fisher visiting the Lions! (Deal in the works?)

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
http://spartannation.com/?p=2145

MORE EXCLUSIVE BREAKING LIONS INFORMATION: CB TRAVIS FISHER FROM THE RAMS IS IN ALLEN PARK TODAY
By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.

Fisher and the Lions do not have the deal done, but look for it to happen soon. Sources close to both parties say that it is close. Look for Fisher to fit well into the Tampa 2 defense and fit well as a nickle back.

Read Mike Martz original comments about Fisher when he drafted him for the Rams: http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/21645/.
QUOTES FROM MIKE MARTZ & CARLOS MAINORD ON CB TRAVIS FISHER
Saturday, April 20, 2002

RAMS HEAD COACH MIKE MARTZ:

On drafting CB Travis Fisher: “This is an exciting pick for us. This is a pick that we had unanimous support on, we’re very excited. (Secondary coach) Carlos (Mainord) worked Travis out and came back very pleased with the workout. Obviously (defensive coordinator) Lovie (Smith) and all our scouts, (general manager) Charley (Armey), we’re very excited about this guy. There’s a couple dimensions of this guy that are very exciting – great speed in the secondary. He’s a pretty stout kid, and physical…he played against good competition down there with Clemson and some of those other schools. He’s lined up against good people, bigger receivers and jammed them. Very impressive in his press coverage at the line of scrimmage with his hands and his ability to jam bigger receivers and redirect. Great feet. This is a value pick for us, obviously. We’re really pleased. Good cover corners like this are extremely hard to come by, and here’s an opportunity for us to add him to our roster and our defense.”

Does Fisher play taller than his actual height? “When you look at the average height of the corners in this league, it’s gotta be somewhere around 5-10, 5-10 1/2. He’s 5-9 1/2 I guess. His height is not unusual for corners in this league necessarily. What is unusual for him in this league is his great speed, his ability to stop and go out of his back-pedals. Those kinds of guys are obviously hard to come by.”

Does Fisher play one side more than the other? “Well that’s a good question. I’ll let Carlos talk more about that. The other advantage of him is that he’s a high energy guy, which fits the type of people we like to have in our program. The other value to Travis is that we think he’s a dynamite special teams player as well, and we think we can get some play out of him as a rookie there as well.”

More on Fisher: “Let me just say this about Travis, I’m not sure that we’ve had a pick with our scouts, Charley, and our coaches on defense felt so overwhelmingly in support of as Travis.”

On Fisher’s experience: “He’s played. He’s started and played against excellent competition and had great success at it. There’s lots of tape on him. He is not a projection, as in a lot of respects (former Rams CB) Jacoby (Shepherd) was, just because of his great numbers. We just feel like Travis is a solid pick in that respect.”

They're bringing in a CB! YAY! And, even better... one Martz knows and likes!

Fantasticness.

Newbs24
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Hopefully this is true. We are taking alot of players from the Rams. Martz did do good things there so hopefully it carries over here. My biggest hope it that Martz likes being a offensive coordinator rather than both that and a HC that he stays around for a while. I am excited about this possible signing as well. Need guys that can come in and play that important position right away. Hopefully they can draft a player that can come in and fight for a spot in a year or 2 as well. I think Hughes would be a lot better in a Tampa 2 than man-to-man. I like him as a possible pick.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
News on Saturday was that he signed with the skins and signed a 1 year deal for the minimum guess he didn't sign yet.

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Hopefully this is true. We are taking alot of players from the Rams. Martz did do good things there so hopefully it carries over here. My biggest hope it that Martz likes being a offensive coordinator rather than both that and a HC that he stays around for a while. I am excited about this possible signing as well. Need guys that can come in and play that important position right away. Hopefully they can draft a player that can come in and fight for a spot in a year or 2 as well. I think Hughes would be a lot better in a Tampa 2 than man-to-man. I like him as a possible pick.That point about Martz is actually scaring me a bit. If we build this team with Martz... and Martz leaves... where does that leave us? I hope we have a great year and he decides to stick around.

I agree about the player. If he can come in and push people for a starting job, i'm excited about it. At the least, it gives us depth.

News on Saturday was that he signed with the skins and signed a 1 year deal for the minimum guess he didn't sign yet.If he did, i'm confused.

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Any addition of a CB is a good one, but what do I care about Martz opinion of defensive players? lol

asmitty45
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Love it, i want him here so bad

Scotty D
03-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Like to see this be Nick Harper, but Fisher will do.

detroit4life
03-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Nick harper would be ideal but i dont see him going from superbowl champ to a detroit lion. We'd have to pay way too much for him and its been said the lions won't overpay for a guy they dont feel is worth it and realistically Harper wouldnt be worth the money we'd have to pay him

Iamcanadian
03-12-2007, 10:13 PM
That point about Martz is actually scaring me a bit. If we build this team with Martz... and Martz leaves... where does that leave us? I hope we have a great year and he decides to stick around.

I agree about the player. If he can come in and push people for a starting job, i'm excited about it. At the least, it gives us depth.

If he did, i'm confused.

I'd be nervous about it as well. If Martz's offense has any real success next year, he'll be gone as a HC somewhere. The last 2 years has pretty well stripped all the co-ordinators with real talent leaving the cupboard pretty bare. He'd probably be taking quite a few of our players with him as well.
However, if the offense is solid and the defense is still a sieve, Martz could end up as our HC which I could live with.
A man with Martz's personality is never going to be happy as just an OC.

LionSmack
03-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Don't forget that Lovie Smith was Martz's defensive coordinator for a good spell there. Players that came up in the Rams system are not only Martz's players, but Cover 2 players.

P-L
03-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Well after Martz left St. Louis, Linehan took over and completely revamped the offense. The 2006 Rams didn't seem to be hurt that much by a new offensive philosophy.

Jagonsucker
03-12-2007, 11:36 PM
why dont we just bring in the whole damn ST Louis rams team into Detroit?

TacticaLion
03-13-2007, 04:19 AM
why dont we just bring in the whole damn ST Louis rams team into Detroit?Nah. I'd rather Martz bring just the good ones.

Addict
03-13-2007, 05:09 AM
I'd be nervous about it as well. If Martz's offense has any real success next year, he'll be gone as a HC somewhere. The last 2 years has pretty well stripped all the co-ordinators with real talent leaving the cupboard pretty bare. He'd probably be taking quite a few of our players with him as well.
However, if the offense is solid and the defense is still a sieve, Martz could end up as our HC which I could live with.
A man with Martz's personality is never going to be happy as just an OC.

Martz can't coach defense, he's too much of a one-trick pony to be a HC. The greatest show on turf was an offensive juggernaught, but defensively they were unimpressive at best.

By the way... this guy is a CB, which means he will have absolutely nothing to do with Martz. Why do we care?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Martz can't coach defense, he's too much of a one-trick pony to be a HC. The greatest show on turf was an offensive juggernaught, but defensively they were unimpressive at best.

By the way... this guy is a CB, which means he will have absolutely nothing to do with Martz. Why do we care?

I thought they were at least decent on defense at least in the early years of Martz. Back when Lovie Smith was their D Coordinator. After Lovie left after 2003 season I think is when it went downhill for the Rams D. 2004-2006 the Rams D hasn't been that great but before that it was ok.