PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Playoffs!

FlyingElvis
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Alright y'all. It's been a crazy season from draft day forward.

Trade down, pass, trade down pass . . .

Big names going bye-bye . . . Seymour, Bru, Vrabs, Harrison, Hobbs, et. al . . .

But here we are sitting tight for a week while preparing for a home game vs. Baltimore.

Some thoughts on our chances at a run?

FlyingElvis
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM
The only AFC team in the playoffs with any semblance of a good pass defense is the Jets, imo. They play solid run & pass D but their offense is not looking strong enough to win against a high scoring team.

The rest of the teams are beatable, especially with the long ball. Which will be our best weapon with Wes out.

Our 11th ranked D needs to prove they deserve such high rankings among their NFL brethren or we could be an easy out even for the Ravens.

Don Vito
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
We will need a lot out of Moss and the ground game, thats for sure. Welker is good for 10 catches and 100 yards with big first downs every game, the running game will need to pick up the slack. I want to see a lot of Sammy Morris and Faulk, K Faulk and Edelman will be handling most of the short stuff that Welker does. Does his injury suck? Yes, but it hardly spells the end for us.

The defense is going to have to play out of its mind.

Jvig43
01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I think were going to need to run the ball more, and work Faulk a bit from out of the backfield while letting Edelmen run some short routes. Moss is going to need to haul in some long balls, which the amount he has in recent weeks worries me. But to me, we can run the ball pretty well, and I think we need to really start doing it more to keep our defense off the field. Granted, we will be a totally different D with Wilfork and warren in, so some of what weve worried about the last few weeks may not be that big of a deal. I dont really care for our chances, too many questions, I trust BB and Brady, but im going in to the playoffs with little expectations.

Razor
01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Before Welker went down, I actually thought that this team was the best in AFC along with the Chargers. Now... I really don't know. I hope the team can rally now that they need it the most, but I'm not sure that the talent is there. With that being said, I never bet against BB and Brady in january. Their track record is just so damned good. I think Brady has only lost two playoff games, one of them SB XLII.

Jvig43
01-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Nope, Brady has lost three, maybe four? Denver, Colts, Giants.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
We played a close game earlier in the year and I see it being the same way exept I hope the Ravens win. We stop the run better than most so you probably won't run much. I do believe the draw play could catch us off gaurd because of how much you guys will spread us out. I am hoping Ray Rice eats your defense alive which would lead us to a good shot at a long ball. At the end of the day if we can't stop Moss we will lose.

Jvig43
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
We played a close game earlier in the year and I see it being the same way exept I hope the Ravens win. We stop the run better than most so you probably won't run much. I do believe the draw play could catch us off gaurd because of how much you guys will spread us out. I am hoping Ray Rice eats your defense alive which would lead us to a good shot at a long ball. At the end of the day if we can't stop Moss we will lose.

Our run game is going to look better with a rested Warren and Wilfork, containing Rice is most likely the one player were going to focus on to take out ( we usually find a teams weapon and focus on stopping it). I think were going to run alot of draws with Faulk with the blitzs that will be thrown our way, the big thing in my mind is are the Ravens going to defeat themselfs with the penalties, theyve looked very undisciplined in the few games ive watched with them.

Razor
01-05-2010, 07:34 AM

Ooops, forgot about that Denver loss. But I'll always remember Ben Watson! :)

ElectricEye
01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Couple things that are going to be key;

Julian Edelman

Obvious one, but an he be this years Darren Sproles? We need him a major step up from him. Teams will be covering him differently. We've sort of broadcasted our intent about we plan to do to supplement the Welker loss. The Raven's know it. They've talked about it. They respect him as a target and will do their best to take him away. We'll probably hear his name a lot next week. Let's hope it's for the right reasons.

Tight End Play

Another big thing for us could be spreading the ball around more, possibly giving Baker and Watson more opportunities. Watson has at times looked GREAT this year, but other times isn't there and isn't tracking the ball/dropping passes. Can't have that against the Ravens or in any further games

Kevin Faulk
Another guy who needs to step it up is Kevin Faulk. He's been as good as he's ever been this year and he'll need to continue at that pace. For one reason or another, as a receiver he's always open. Let's hope that continues. 5+ catches out of him for some of those first downs Welker usually ends up with would be very nice.

Spreading the Ball
Fun fact; only 6 wide receivers have caught a pass for us all year and one of them is no longer with the team. All of them with the exception of Galloway should catch passes for us on Sunday.

That's just on the offensive side of the ball. That side probably represents the best chance for us to take the Ravens out though, so it's very important that we score on them. Obviously, we have to slow down Ray Rice both on the ground and as a target out of the backfield too. Can't let him run wild on his. Nor can we afford for McGahee to have a big game on us. We match up pretty well against them in the secondary, at least better than we do with most teams, but we need to be able to generate a little pressure all the same.

FlyingElvis
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Just those 3.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00_playoffs.htm

FlyingElvis
01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
How has the Ravens Defense been playing the last few weeks? I know they were struggling against the deep ball early in the season but haven't really kept an eye on them recently.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
How has the Ravens Defense been playing the last few weeks? I know they were struggling against the deep ball early in the season but haven't really kept an eye on them recently.

We have actually been playing very good on defense. I am pretty sure we are #1 in run defense and our pass defense has been better. Since Webb is out for the year it might go back to what it was because we have Carr and Walker out there. I like this matchup. Even though the past 2 games we have played you guys the Pats won they were both very close games and as long as it is another close game we have a shot.

FlyingElvis
01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
You definitely have a shot. The Patriots are an average team this year, imo. They have not been great anywhere along the way, with the only exception being a totally downtrodden & banged up Titans team.

Advancing in the playoffs this year will take HOF worthy coaching and quarterbacking. So we have a shot, but the talent at LB and C/RG will probably be severly exposed in this one.

I forsee a hefty dose of Ngata in our backfield and a turtled Dan Koppen in his wake. Again. lol

Nalej
01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
don't forget about S. Aiken.
He's made some great catches this year- and dropped some easy ones at other times.
I like what I see in him though.

We'll have to run to set up the deep ball.
That means an early heavy dose of Maroney and Taylor
Note: If Maroney has a costly fumble in this game and we win I can see his role dwindling down to nothing

With Wilfork and Warren out recently- Pryor and Brace have got some PT and it'll only help in this playoff run

Jvig43
01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
don't forget about S. Aiken.
He's made some great catches this year- and dropped some easy ones at other times.
I like what I see in him though.

We'll have to run to set up the deep ball.
That means an early heavy dose of Maroney and Taylor
Note: If Maroney has a costly fumble in this game and we win I can see his role dwindling down to nothing

With Wilfork and Warren out recently- Pryor and Brace have got some PT and it'll only help in this playoff run

Agreed, getting some good subs in is really going to help the pass rush, keeping our Dline fresh. Banta-cain needs to do a good job of getting to Flacco. I swear if Maroney fumbles im killing his dog.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't see to much running going on against us. I mean you guys might try but I don't see either having a good day. It is going to be hard to get pressure on Flacco now that Gaither is back. If cousins was in you guys would have a field day but Oher and Gaither at tackle is amazing.

Nalej
01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't see to much running going on against us. I mean you guys might try but I don't see either having a good day. It is going to be hard to get pressure on Flacco now that Gaither is back. If cousins was in you guys would have a field day but Oher and Gaither at tackle is amazing.

With us spreading you out due to our passing game- I can see some holes being created.
You can't cramp down on the run and stop Brady at the same time
Somethings gotta give... maybe the SB winning Ravens of a decade ago could do it but not this years

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
With us spreading you out due to our passing game- I can see some holes being created.
You can't cramp down on the run and stop Brady at the same time
Somethings gotta give... maybe the SB winning Ravens of a decade ago could do it but not this years

The draw play is the only run that scares me but I don't see your runningbacks getting to many yards of it. The passing game is all I am really worried about.

Nalej
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
The draw play is the only run that scares me but I don't see your runningbacks getting to many yards of it. The passing game is all I am really worried about.

I can't argue with that. I can see Faulk and Sammy Morris having some success though.
Just don't run at Ngata... I don't see anything positive coming out of that

proshoota25
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
love my patriots, but i hate to say i dont like our chances this weekend.

Don Vito
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Going to the game Sunday, will be my first in a while. Can't wait.

Razor
01-06-2010, 02:55 AM
Going to the game Sunday, will be my first in a while. Can't wait.

Nice! I've only been at one game ever, that was in october in London. But to go see a playoff game would be just awesome! A shame I don't have $3500 to spend on that.. :) Is there any snow in Boston?

Don Vito
01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Actually I got the tickets for only $65, we're going to be at the top but it's alright. My friend found a package of 8 online for a good deal so we got lucky. There has been some snow, it is supposed to snow some more on Friday and Saturday too. I was hoping for snow on Sunday but it's not going to, it'll be in the 20's. So pumped.

Razor
01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Brady is, if my memory serves me right, undefeated in snow games. So I'm really hoping for some snow!

FlyingElvis
01-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Awesome! Have fun Mr. Corleone.

Playoff games are great b/c the crowd is generally pumped. Rather than the complacent "We came here for a blowout" crowd in season.

Bigburt63
01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
The last playoff game I went to was the Titans game in '04, the one that was below 0 with the windchill. That game was intense...maybe its cause it was a playoff game....but more so because I was 7 rows behind the patriots bench for the game :)

As far as the playoff game this weekend:

Offensively I think we will still be ok, even with Welker out. The offense has improved drastically since the last time we played the Ravens, and yes I'm aware that the Raven's defense has undoubtedly improved as well, but I feel that Brady was still very raw and tense at the beginning of the year. The offensive line is playing better. My concerns are mainly with a lack of creativity calling the plays. McDaniels in his last 2 years, or Weis when he was here were creative enough with the playcalling to allow for our overall lack of talent on offense (barring Brady, and Faulk) to score points and move the ball. This year....not so much. I hope O'Brien proves me wrong. I've been saying all year that I don't like the playcalling, and I truly feel that O'Brien will get better, it is still only his first year. I just hope that it starts to happen in the playoffs this year.

Defensively, assuming Wilfork and Warren are back at close to full strength, I think we will be alright. The Raven's are a good running team, but if there is one thing that this defense can do well (when healthy), it is stop the run. I am fearful of their passing game. I personally feel that although the corners (cough- Wilhite- cough) get a bad rep, it is mostly because they are forced to cover for lengthened periods of time. I'm not even looking at sack numbers, but we have not been able to get a consistent pass rush all year. People will point to the 9.5 sacks that Banta-Cain has. Well, 5 of those sacks came in the 2 games against the Bills, and 2 others came in the first game against the Jets. In other words, 7 of the 9.5 sacks came in 3 games, and 2.5 came in the other 13.

Flacco isn't having a great year (admittedly I haven't watched much of him), and I felt that he was kind of overrated his rookie year. I think he will be very good in time, but I don't think he is capable of carrying a team yet. That being said, if you give him time he is capable of winging it around. That has been a major weakness for our defense all year long.

All in all, I think that the Patriots offense will be able to score enough points to win the game, but it will be hard fought and very very physical.

nepg
01-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I think it's obvious the Pats need an OG to replace the virtually useless Neal, and an outside receiver who is a real threat.

proshoota25
01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I think it's obvious the Pats need an OG to replace the virtually useless Neal, and an outside receiver who is a real threat.

very very obvious

Bigburt63
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Guard, although Neal is still serviceable, OLB, ILB (Not really, but Guyton can rotate around a bit), WR (we have nobody other than Moss, Welker, other than Edelman really).

I know its hard but there are a few positives today. Arrington is a very good special teams player, Edelman looks like he will progress into a good player....that's about it. Just a horrible game in all possible facets. I still loathe the playcalling (you need to set up the play action naked boot before you actually run it). There was just no rhythm to the offense today, none. The defense just played downright bad and soft from the very first play of the game.

FlyingElvis
01-11-2010, 11:45 AM
That was certainly a worst case scenario. I figured Baltimore would expose our 2 biggest weaknesses but not to that extent and that early.

Middle of the oline . . . destroyed. C & RG are clearly junk at this point.

The best freind of a running game? A weak LB core. Yup, we've got that too.

Ugly. Please use all draft picks this year.

ryno626
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
as much as it hurts to say i'm glad they got bounced the way they did, hopefully they actually use these draft picks and address the needs on the team! This game better serve as a wake up call for the front office

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
as much as it hurts to say i'm glad they got bounced the way they did, hopefully they actually use these draft picks and address the needs on the team! This game better serve as a wake up call for the front office

Yea you are glad it happened since it happened. You wouldn't be saying that if you won.

FlyingElvis
01-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Yea you are glad it happened since it happened. You wouldn't be saying that if you won.

This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is.

nepg
01-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Guard, although Neal is still serviceable, OLB, ILB (Not really, but Guyton can rotate around a bit), WR (we have nobody other than Moss, Welker, other than Edelman really).

The problem with Edelman is that he can't be on the field at the same time as Welker. They do the same things. The only solution is that they have no TE's in the spread formations.

They still need an outside receiver to stretch the field.

Serviceable is no longer acceptable at OG. I'd invest that first round pick in Iupati.

You can talk about the defense all day long, but the offense hasn't finished drives all year long. It's been the real issue, imo. They've put up some stats, but it hasn't translated to a ton of success against good teams when it matters.

I think the defense was fine yesterday. They gave up the one big play at the start of the game (which I think was more because it was perfect blocking and execution opposed to bad defense), but they effectively gave up 16 points (the offense gave up 17)...

Nalej
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM

That's not what he's saying.
He's saying if we were to lose- getting blown out is the best way so the FO wakes up and figures out that they can't continue to trade down.

Not the same as saying "I'm glad we lost"

Bigburt63
01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
The problem with Edelman is that he can't be on the field at the same time as Welker. They do the same things. The only solution is that they have no TE's in the spread formations.

They still need an outside receiver to stretch the field.

Serviceable is no longer acceptable at OG. I'd invest that first round pick in Iupati.

You can talk about the defense all day long, but the offense hasn't finished drives all year long. It's been the real issue, imo. They've put up some stats, but it hasn't translated to a ton of success against good teams when it matters.

I think the defense was fine yesterday. They gave up the one big play at the start of the game (which I think was more because it was perfect blocking and execution opposed to bad defense), but they effectively gave up 16 points (the offense gave up 17)...

I disagree that serviceable is no longer acceptable at guard. If we take a guard over an OLB or a top WR in the first round I will be pissed off. Welker and Edelman in the slot(s) at the same time is fine, not an every down type of thing, but a good set. (Side note: Welker probably won't be 100% at any point next year, playing yes, but 100% no). Guard, although it can certainly be upgraded, is far from our top need.

Outside of Moss, we have Tate (injured this year, unproven otherwise), Aiken, Edelman at WR. A guy who hasnt played alot in 2 years, a guy who is a career special teamer and 5th receiver at best, and a guy who has only played WR for 17 weeks (not counting camp/pre-season). That is gross.

OLB, we had 0 pass rush almost all year, unless we were playing the sieve that is the Bills o-line. Teams could protect all day and throw against us, which is part of the reason we allowed only 6 rushing td's all regular season....teams didn't have to try and run it in.

3-4 DE is a need, but more of a depth need than an immediate impact type of player. We have Pryor, Brace, and Wright who can play there. Again, could it be upgraded, of course. Is it a first round need? Not IMO.