PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clausen to have surgery

Shane P. Hallam
01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4796255&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

"Jimmy Clausen will have surgery on his right toe and will be out 2 - 3 months, but will throw in April for scouts."

BeerBaron
01-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Now theres the right one, lol ;)

No biggie I don't think. He'll still be able to throw pre-draft, and his biggest competition at QB, Bradford, is coming off an injury of his own.

RealityCheck
01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
So he'll miss the combine?

JDR2882
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Yep, combine is in February. Its unfortunate but if Clausen is ready to go in April for the scouts and in private workouts I don't think he will be hurt to much by this.

Babylon
01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Seems like a real opportunity for Ryan Mallett to enter the draft.

B-Dawk
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
timing is a little strange considering ND did not play in a bowl

CC.SD
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Come on Jimmy be the #1 pick so the Lions can have Suh.

Thunder&Lightning
01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
not a big deal, as long as he throws at some point he will be fine. 40 doesnt matter for him

Stamper
01-05-2010, 12:00 AM
if hes still going to throw then he should be alright.

only thing is, if he throws mid april (weeks before the draft) teams might have already made their minds up with some players. Especially the rams. They could be set on suh by that time

Thunder&Lightning
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM
if hes still going to throw then he should be alright.

only thing is, if he throws mid april (weeks before the draft) teams might have already made their minds up with some players. Especially the rams. They could be set on suh by that time

the only team that has 100% made up there mind come draft day is the #1 pick

WMD
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Well, Clausen's toe is probably less of a concern than Suh's knees..

stlouisfan37
01-05-2010, 12:05 AM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Come on Jimmy be the #1 pick so the Lions can have Suh.

You're dreaming man. The Rams are taking Suh. Slam Dunkie.

WMD
01-05-2010, 12:07 AM
You're dreaming man. The Rams are taking Suh. Slam Dunkie.
Good luck selling tickets without a damn freakin QB!

DChess
01-05-2010, 12:16 AM
the only team that has 100% made up there mind come draft day is the #1 pick

they can have their board set?

BeerBaron
01-05-2010, 12:26 AM

It doesn't even matter the tickets....it's the now yearly phenomenon of a fan base of a team who has been absolutely dreadful getting dead-set against a possible franchise QB.

Every ******* year this seems to happen and it's rather annoying.

First we had Falcons fans dead set against Matt Ryan...oh how they wanted Glenn Dorsey...Ryan wasn't franchise QB material and threw too many picks in college and was just being pushed up draft boards because of a bad QB class...blah blah blah. And this was after their last "franchise QB" train-wrecked the franchise by killing some dogs and leaving them high and dry along with their head coach bailing after half a season. Talk about a team in need of a new "face of the franchise" to turn things all around....and they got it. Even Scott was believing the crazy fans about Dorsey over Ryan but...the Falcons knew what they were doing on draft day and have turned things around nicely.

Then last year...the Lions, who were coming off an 0-16 year and were near finishing up a decade in which they had the lowest winning percentage of any team in any sport in any decade since records were kept. (No joke, just read about it on ESPN Page 2.) They're dead set against a QB...Stafford was just a strong arm, he should have stayed in school, he didn't dominate despite having a LOT of talent around him.....the pitiful o-line in Detroit wouldn't be able to protect him....oh how they wanted Jason Smith. They too badly needed a new "face of the franchise" and I believe they got one. Two wins this season is a LOT better than zero and at times, they showed some flashes of talent and look to have a somewhat promising future. A little too early to tell but I think things will work out for them as well.

So Rams fans....shut it. Any one of you can argue how Clausen (or Bradford) isn't worth it and Suh will be so much better...but you're in the same damn boat of the past years' most awful teams. This is your 3rd straight year picking in the top 2, and all that money you threw at Marc Bulger has been a colossal waste. You need a new "face of the franchise" too, and that isn't going to be Suh.

So unless and until the Rams turn in a card on draft day with the name "Suh" on it, I'm not believing that it's going to happen.

NGSeiler
01-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Well, now that BeerBaron's gotten that off his chest... ;)

As a Rams fan who acknowledges drafting a quarterback in the first round is a possibility but would prefer Suh and a second or third round passer, I'm a bit disappointed that neither of the top two signal-callers will be showing off their skills in the Combine.

I have no doubt that Clausen will throw well in April, as the workout will be on his terms with targets he's familiar with. Maybe that's the idea, injury or not, as a means of reducing your chances to hurt your stock when you're so highly rated. Smart from a player's standpoint perhaps, but I can't say I like it much as a fan in terms of trying to get a better read on some of these guys.

That said, I doubt this does much to hurt Clausen's stock. Bradford's injury is more concerning.

BeerBaron
01-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Well, now that BeerBaron's gotten that off his chest... ;)

As a Rams fan who acknowledges drafting a quarterback in the first round is a possibility but would prefer Suh and a second or third round passer, I'm a bit disappointed that neither of the top two signal-callers will be showing off their skills in the Combine.

I have no doubt that Clausen will throw well in April, as the workout will be on his terms with targets he's familiar with. Maybe that's the idea, injury or not, as a means of reducing your chances to hurt your stock when you're so highly rated. Smart from a player's standpoint perhaps, but I can't say I like it much as a fan in terms of trying to get a better read on some of these guys.

That said, I doubt this does much to hurt Clausen's stock. Bradford's injury is more concerning.

Aye...preferring a guy is a bit different, but it's the types who truly believe their team won't even look in that direction that drive me nuts.

And even if Clausen does tumble a little, I don't think he makes it past the Redskins. They tried like hell for Cutler or Sanchez last year and I don't think Campbell did anything this year to buy another year of starting. And Clausen is just that type, like Sanchez was, that I think they'd like to have. Has some nice tools, was very popular during college at one of the more prestigious football schools....I think that's the lowest he'd go.

yodabear
01-05-2010, 01:23 AM
It is obvious we need to take a look and draft QB cuz yeah, Bulger is pathetic and it is just sad we started a dude named Keith Null the last 5 games or whatever it was of the season. Right now, I am with NGSeiler, I would prefer going with Suh in the first and McCoy in the 2nd round. However, I think it is a real possibility we look at Claussen, and would not be punching walls or kicking well whatever I can find if we do end up taking Claussen first.

WMD
01-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Then last year...the Lions, who were coming off an 0-16 year and were near finishing up a decade in which they had the lowest winning percentage of any team in any sport in any decade since records were kept. (No joke, just read about it on ESPN Page 2.) They're dead set against a QB...Stafford was just a strong arm, he should have stayed in school, he didn't dominate despite having a LOT of talent around him.....the pitiful o-line in Detroit wouldn't be able to protect him....oh how they wanted Jason Smith. They too badly needed a new "face of the franchise" and I believe they got one. Two wins this season is a LOT better than zero and at times, they showed some flashes of talent and look to have a somewhat promising future. A little too early to tell but I think things will work out for them as well.

For the most part, the Lions fans here wanted Stafford. I still can't believe a good sized amount of Lions fans actually wanted Aaron Curry to be the #1 Pick.

You're coming off an 0-16 Season.. Complete roster overhaul, new coaching staff, new front office.. And we're gonna take a ******* Linebacker #1, over a Franchise QB and LT? Really?

bKB4_7LZrjs

This is from the press conference where we revealed our new Logo and Jersey. Detroit talk radio and the Lions writers were all over Curry too.. it was depressing.

sdobbers
01-05-2010, 01:26 AM
BeerBaron, you couldn't have said it better. As a rams fan, I am really hoping that we draft Clausen in this upcoming draft. Suh is a beast, and I would love to have him...but come on, we've drafted DL 2 out of the past 3 years. We NEED to get our franchise QB, and I think Clausen is that guy.

BeerBaron
01-05-2010, 01:31 AM
For the most part, the Lions fans here wanted Stafford. I still can't believe a good sized amount of Lions fans actually wanted Aaron Curry to be the #1 Pick.

Yeah...the Lions fans here were generally better than most I think, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the majority of them in the outside world would have preferred someone else...Curry or Smith.

Though they all had slightly different situations like I outlined in my rant, I think that the Rams fit right in with the Falcons and Lions of past years in their need of a QB. It's going to get quite old real fast whenever a new mock pops up that has a QB going to them before Suh if the fans decide to be against it.

descendency
01-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Not a big deal. The combine doesn't typically matter for QBs. It only really matters for skill positions. QBs are judged on game film and interviews.

FloridaSkinzFan
01-05-2010, 08:52 AM
I like clausen at #4 to redskins. OL in the 2nd and 4th and free agency.

RealityCheck
01-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Seems like a real opportunity for Ryan Mallett to enter the draft.
The opportunity. Seize it, Ryan.

YotoJets007
01-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Obviously, it wont affect him anything. If he wanted to perform at the combine then the toe surgery had to be held off until about March. He has played in pro style under Weis so he has nothing to improve his stock during the scouting months.

Top 10 money is locked for him.

descendency
01-05-2010, 09:50 AM
The opportunity. Seize it, Ryan.

If he fails to go in the top 20 (because of his erratic accuracy), he could lose millions. He could be in the top 5 in 2011. #1 overall could be 52-55 million guaranteed. (which is insane...)

RealityCheck
01-05-2010, 09:51 AM
If he fails to go in the top 20 (because of his erratic accuracy), he could lose millions. He could be in the top 5 in 2011. #1 overall could be 52-55 million guaranteed. (which is insane...)
For a guy who neve played a down in pro football. That is indeed insane.

BGB
01-05-2010, 12:05 PM

I'd rather compete for draft position with the over rated Claussen and a beat up fragile Bradford then I would Locker.

prock
01-05-2010, 04:40 PM

even with Suh, you wont stop peterson!

HawkeyeFan
01-08-2010, 04:14 AM
As a Rams fan who is in favor of drafting Jimmy Clausen, this isn't an issue to me. He'll be throwing before the draft anyways. Coaches still have film on players to look over, it'd be more difficult to analyze, but they do. Either way, Clausen is going to throw, and show he's worthy of the #1 pick. What's better for him is that he's spent three years in a Pro Style Offense, which happens to be the West Coast Offense, the Rams run the WCO and are looking for a Franchise QB.

Suh is my second choice for our #1 pick.

even with Suh, you wont stop peterson!
The Rams did it without Suh this year.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Should get eye surgery while he's at it.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2lwnm78.jpg