PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Case Draft Scenario

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
As of 3/12/07, I would love to see this scenario happen:

Trade down with Arizona
They get #2 overall, we get #5 overall, their 2nd rounder, and their 4th rounder

Round 1 - DE Gaines Adams
Round 2a - QB Drew Stanton
Round 2b - OG Justin Blalock
Round 3 - CB Daymeion Hughes
Round 4a - MLB Anthony Waters
Round 4b - TE Joe Newton
Round 5 - DE, OT, S, and CB

This is fairly realistic, though I think both of my 4th round choices could go a little earlier.

Thoughts?

Let's see some other opinions of an ideal mock . . .

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
In a non-trade down scenario, I'd like to see:

1 - OT Joe Thomas
2 - DE Victor Abiamiri
3 - CB Daymeion Hughes
4 - MLB Anthony Waters

detroit4life
03-12-2007, 06:45 PM
As of 3/12/07, I would love to see this scenario happen:

Trade down with Arizona
They get #2 overall, we get #5 overall, their 2nd rounder, and their 4th rounder

Round 1 - DE Gaines Adams
Round 2a - QB Drew Stanton
Round 2b - OG Justin Blalock
Round 3 - CB Daymeion Hughes
Round 4a - MLB Anthony Waters
Round 4b - TE Joe Newton
Round 5 - DE, OT, S, and CB

This is fairly realistic, though I think both of my 4th round choices could go a little earlier.

Thoughts?

Let's see some other opinions of an ideal mock . . .

i like that i wonder if they'll take a OG im getting a feeling that they may feel set with who they have and mayb signing mutilato sp? is it possible that they take two Cbs in day one if a ross or mccauley were there rather then blaylock? but overall i would be estatic with four future starters

WMD
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
A little scenario that plays out well in my head.. we trade down to #11 or #12 and pick up an extra 2 and 3.. plus other picks...

1. Patrick Willis :: MLB
2a. Brandon Meriweather :: S
2b. Victor Abiamiri :: DE
3a. Doug Free :: OT/OG
3b. Tarell Brown :: CB

Eh, sorta kinda maybe..

TacticaLion
03-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Since this is the "Best Case Draft Scenario", here's mine:

Trade down with Arizona
They get #2 overall and a 5th round pick (value: around 2632)
We get #5 overall, the 37th pick and the 69th pick (value: 2475)

1.5: DE Gaines Adams

Trade back up with Cincinnati
They get the 34th pick and the 37th pick (value: 1090)
We get the 18th pick and the 82nd pick (value: 1080)

1.18: MLB Patrick Willis
3.2: CB Daymeion Hughes
3.18: OG Manuel Ramirez
4.2: S Josh Gattis

And that leaves 3 5th round picks.

I read the scouting report on Gattis... interesting prospect. (Most notable comments: Aggressive and he's always hustling...Productive and has a lot of experience...Has some upside and the majority of his flaws are correctable... seems like he might be a "Marinelli-guy".)

All in all, that draft would give us Adams (DE), Willis (MLB), Hughes (CB), Ramirez (OG) and a young safety with promise (Gattis). Yes, we wouldn't have a 2nd round pick... but we took dominant players that fit the scheme.

I'd take it.

Bootland27
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I've been around the boards for the last few months and just joined. Read a lot of opinions from different people and there are a lot of different ways of going about it.

Obviously they are looking to trade down. Lets say we trade down and get AZ's pick. My ideal scenario would be something like this for day 1:

1: Gaines Adams
2a: Jon Beason
2b: Marcus Mcauley
3: Trent Edeards

I hope that we sign Mulitalo, which would round out our o-line as a pretty solid group.

First, gotta have Gaines Adams or maybe Anderson. The key is getting pressure from the front 4 and getting either will allow us to do so.

Secondly, we really need a LB. Willis is the best of the bunch and I doubt he'll fall past 20 at the latest. Jon Beason is somebody whose name doesn't get mentioned on here at all. I really like the fact that he's versatile with the ability to play any LB position and has drawn some comparisons Jon Vilma and he's good in coverage too which is exactly what we need.

Then, gotta take a corner as well. I think if Mccauley is available by the time our 2nd 2nd round pick rolls around, you gotta get him. He's got great size and can play in any scheme.

Finally the 3rd rounder we should get trent edwards. He was hurt which is a bit of a risk, but when healthy I think he brings tremendous upside. Think of him as a Jay Culter type, who played with inferior talent around him in college

Scotty D
03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Xio's is perfect.

Xiomera
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Xio's is perfect.
If only it were a little more likely to occur.

detroit4life
03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
it has a chance i think but yea i'd love that

TacticaLion
03-13-2007, 07:15 AM
If only it were a little more likely to occur.I actually think there's a great chance for it to happen. The Lions' have shown interest in those players, and trading down with AZ seems to be a reasonable move.

JamminJonny
03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Since this is the "Best Case Draft Scenario", here's mine:

1.5: DE Gaines Adams
1.18: MLB Patrick Willis
3.2: CB Daymeion Hughes
3.18: OG Manuel Ramirez
4.2: S Josh Gattis

So far, I would be most excited about this draft. And although it seems unlikely, I give it merrit on these grounds:

1) Despite what we've heard from the team about Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn, I believe with all my heart that Gaines Adams and Patrick Willis are the two top guys on their board right now.
2) Millen has show willingness to move up to get guys that he wants (back into the first for KJ, moved up for Orlovski, Shaun Rogers, etc.)
3) We have the firepower to do it.

I think everyone should bare in mind that Detroit seems to be hellbent on filling their offensive holes with vets (Tatum Bell, TJ Duckett, George Foster, Shaun McDonald, still interested in Kevin Curtis) that will be able to help in our complicated system, freeing themselves up to get young athletes on defense in the draft. Too many of these drafts have us going offense too early and too often.

If I had to take at stab at my own mock, I would think it would go something like this:

Trade back to the 5-8 range and pick up a second and a fourth.

1) Gaines Adams (or Patrick Willis if Gaines is gone)
2) MLB (or DE if we miss out on Adams and end up with Willis)
2) S/CB
3) S/CB

Two fourths and four fifths: I would expect Detroit to package some of these picks and move up on the first day, in any given round. And also to use what picks they keep to add depth at WR, OL, LB, DB, and DL.

All in all, Detroit has to have the hardest draft to predict, because they have so many ways they could go, so much leverage in trades, and so much firepower to move up. I'm willing to bet that what Detroit ends up doing is something that nobody anywhere predicts.

dpgreen
03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
assuming the trade down with Arizona, I wouldn't mind this scenario which I dont see a lot of:

1. Landry
2a. Blalock
2b. Stanton
3. Bazuin

JPLUFF
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Anything in which CB and MLB are addressed early is fine with me.

TacticaLion
03-13-2007, 03:28 PM
assuming the trade down with Arizona, I wouldn't mind this scenario which I dont see a lot of:

1. Landry
2a. Blalock
2b. Stanton
3. BazuinTruly solid draft... although the MLB position went untouched (which is a big deal to me). If "Buzz" is the player they think he is, he could have a huge impact for a Cover 2 defense next year.

Trade Blalock with a MLB and this draft is great. Landry will be a stud.

detroit4life
03-13-2007, 05:53 PM
So far, I would be most excited about this draft. And although it seems unlikely, I give it merrit on these grounds:

1) Despite what we've heard from the team about Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn, I believe with all my heart that Gaines Adams and Patrick Willis are the two top guys on their board right now.
2) Millen has show willingness to move up to get guys that he wants (back into the first for KJ, moved up for Orlovski, Shaun Rogers, etc.)
3) We have the firepower to do it.

I think everyone should bare in mind that Detroit seems to be hellbent on filling their offensive holes with vets (Tatum Bell, TJ Duckett, George Foster, Shaun McDonald, still interested in Kevin Curtis) that will be able to help in our complicated system, freeing themselves up to get young athletes on defense in the draft. Too many of these drafts have us going offense too early and too often.

If I had to take at stab at my own mock, I would think it would go something like this:

Trade back to the 5-8 range and pick up a second and a fourth.

1) Gaines Adams (or Patrick Willis if Gaines is gone)
2) MLB (or DE if we miss out on Adams and end up with Willis)
2) S/CB
3) S/CB

Two fourths and four fifths: I would expect Detroit to package some of these picks and move up on the first day, in any given round. And also to use what picks they keep to add depth at WR, OL, LB, DB, and DL.

All in all, Detroit has to have the hardest draft to predict, because they have so many ways they could go, so much leverage in trades, and so much firepower to move up. I'm willing to bet that what Detroit ends up doing is something that nobody anywhere predicts.

i agree it looks like they are trying to build a young defense and a veteran offense. Going mainly defense day one ni this draft will be a huge step for us to be a better team. The offense will only get better with guys knowing the system more and a healthy/improved Oline. But getting young guys on this defense is great with Marinelli and Barry very capable of teaching these guys the cover two.

Mythos
03-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Assume the Arizone trade,

1. FS-Landry
2a. OG-Grubbs
2b. DE-Spencer
3. CB-J. Wilson (as nickel corner to replace McGraw, not cover-2 corner)

Notable:
-No Gaines Adams (see explanation below)
-No QB (too many immeddiate gaping holes, I think Kitna has 2 more years)
-No MLB (huge need, hope to get lucky w/ Lehman or '08 draft)

I've gotten to watch Adams live, so I'm not at the mercy of the TV camera, and IMO he is not even close to a #2 or #5 pick. His burst and first step are nowhere near that of Wimberly or Lawson from a year ago. The vast majority of his rushes were two steps, get stoned, extend his arms to separate from the tackle and try to bat passes down. He dropped into coverage frequently. My understanding of the cover-2 is that the DEs get upfield and pressure the QB, not stand at the line and try to bat balls down or drop back in zone blitzes. He has some skills and is a fluid athlete, but I see him outside in the 3-4. He gets compared to Freeney and Kearse. Kearse is taller and ran a 4.45. I don't know Freeney's number but I bet's it's even faster. Adams is not in the same class as these guys (and they weren't top 5). He's a slower version of Wimberly or Ware, but more fluid in zone coverage. Again, 3-4 OLB. Here's a prediction: Willis gets drafted ahead of Gaines, e.g. 10-Atl Willis, 11-SF Adams or 14-Car Willis, 15-Pitt Adams.

2a. OG-Grubbs. We've needed to address LG for about 5 years now.
2b. DE-Spencer. Schooled Levi in drills at the senior bowl.
3. CB-J. Wilson. Aside from a pass rushing DE, I though nickel corner was our biggest deficiency on defense last year. McGraw is the worst I've ever seen play. If we don't draft a safety, I would have Kennedy and Bullocks sleeping in Michael Jackson's oxygen bubble.

MLB-I'm really wishing we'd made a move for D'qwell last year. I think this is one of our first two picks in '08.

As to the strategy of pass on Landry, take Philliips next year. Houston: pass on Bush, take AD next year.