PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jones - LB - Michigan State

JaxJag_1
01-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Only a Junior and is said to be on the fence for declaring or not but has put up unreal stats the past 2 years as MLB for the Spartans.

He's undersized at only 228 lbs. but he's a tackling machine and a speed demon at LB.

What are your alls thoughts on him and where and how he projects in the NFL?

lionsfan81
01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Only a Junior and is said to be on the fence for declaring or not but has put up unreal stats the past 2 years as MLB for the Spartans.

He's undersized at only 228 lbs. but he's a tackling machine and a speed demon at LB.

What are your alls thoughts on him and where and how he projects in the NFL?

He's short and undersized and projects to the weakside in the NFL. He also is not a speed demon at all, in fact he is on the slow side for a linebacker. That being said he has great game speed and has great reaction. He also is a great blitzer and is blitzes up the middle a ton and led the team in sacks. He reminds me a lot of Gerald McRath in body type who only went in the 4th round. Also I am a MSU fan and I have seen Greg play every game. He is poor in pass coverage and is not usually an overpowering tackler. He doesn't miss many tackles, but a lot of his tackles he grabs the opponents legs and twists until he goes down (what I mean is he doesn't produce many devastating tackles, he just kinda holds on until they're down).

Also MSU's defensive coordinator basically said how he doesn't think Greg is ready as he still plays off of pure instincts 75% of the time as he doesn't recognize what the opponents offense is doing pre-snap yet. He also only understands his role in the defense, which he feels Greg needs to expand to really become good.

I feel if Greg comes out and runs well at the combine he would be a 3rd rounder at best. If he runs poorly he could drop to round 4-5. If he stays another year and improves on things he could work his way up to a middle to late 1st rounder.

Spartan4224
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Greg Jones is 6-1 235. Speed is not an issue as he flies around the field better than most linebackers that I've seen this year. The biggest knock I've heard is that teams aren't sure about his coverage skills because he rushes the quarterback on passing downs. However, the same questions were raised about Julian Peterson coming out and he ended up being all right. Greg said the only way he's coming out is if he's a high first round pick, which won't happen. He is probably a second round pick and the third best MLB behind McClain and Spikes. I will agree he probably fits best at the weakside but he would be an above average middle linebacker at the next level. If I had to compare him to someone it would be Jonathan Vilma.

He's short and undersized and projects to the weakside in the NFL. He also is not a speed demon at all, in fact he is on the slow side for a linebacker. That being said he has great game speed and has great reaction. He also is a great blitzer and is blitzes up the middle a ton and led the team in sacks. He reminds me a lot of Gerald McRath in body type who only went in the 4th round. Also I am a MSU fan and I have seen Greg play every game. He is poor in pass coverage and is not usually an overpowering tackler. He doesn't miss many tackles, but a lot of his tackles he grabs the opponents legs and twists until he goes down (what I mean is he doesn't produce many devastating tackles, he just kinda holds on until they're down).

Also MSU's defensive coordinator basically said how he doesn't think Greg is ready as he still plays off of pure instincts 75% of the time as he doesn't recognize what the opponents offense is doing pre-snap yet. He also only understands his role in the defense, which he feels Greg needs to expand to really become good.

I feel if Greg comes out and runs well at the combine he would be a 3rd rounder at best. If he runs poorly he could drop to round 4-5. If he stays another year and improves on things he could work his way up to a middle to late 1st rounder.

JaxJag_1
01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
So do you guys think he's a better prospect than let's say TCU's Daryl Washington.

Washington really impressed me last night

princefielder28
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
So do you guys think he's a better prospect than let's say TCU's Daryl Washington.

I prefer Washington

Spartan4224
01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Don't know much about Washington. But when it comes to versatality Jones' stats are good across the board. Again I think he would be a better WLB and is not a true middle linebacker (thumper). But for a team that lets the linebackers attack the ball he would be a good fit.

P-L
01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I really like Greg Jones, but I don't think he is as good of a pro prospect as his stats would lead you to believe.

wicket
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Id gladly take him with the saints second provided the saints dont draft weatherspoon in the first. IMO he could start over shanle straight away

TACKLE
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
He reminds me of a smaller Curtis Lofton.