39 Solo tackles
18 Assisted tackles
1 forced fumble
8 interceptions
149 int. return yards
18.6 return avg.
92 long
2 TDs

Thomas has emerged as a prolific safety, but the question is, will he project well to the NFL? He appears to have a smaller frame, is listed at 5-10 197 lbs, and has not been under the microscope as many other prospects have in past, present, and will in the future.

As a RS Soph, he has only played two years, and only really this year been noticed on a national level. Numerous times watching texas games he has shown incredible instincts and is near the ball quite often. Some announcers have made mention of the fact he can cover like a corner and was previously one earlier in his career (not 100% sure of this), does he project as a corner or a safety because of his size?

CC.SD
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I feel like he can definitely succeed at safety, he would probably not be the smallest one in the NFL and there is always room for a ballhawk in a secondary. How big was Louis Delmas last year? Size is not the concern in safeties as much recently.

vidae
01-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I think he can play safety as well, and at a high level. I'd absolutely love to draft this kid in the second if he lasts. The Chiefs need more longhorns anyway.

BaLLiN
01-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Delmas was listed between 5-11 and 6 foot and close to 200 lbs. But his strength was his run support, he was known for that. Thomas, is unquestioned as a ballhawk, but im not sure about his run support. His frame also looks small, like really small weight and body type-wise

Splat
01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
No team can have to many Longhorns...

BaLLiN
01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Jamal Charlezzz...

speaking of texas longhorns, and specifically runningbacks, what the heck happened to selvin young?

Hines
01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Bob Sanders is short and poweful. He's had a good career, but he plays close to the line and throws his body around.

Thomas plays free safety and can hit. I think he'll be asked to play centerfield and make plays deep, not close to the line.

He'll be one hell of a playmaker and one I might want the Steelers to get.

BaLLiN
01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
for some reason i want to compare him to charles godfrey when he was at iowa...

FUNBUNCHER
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I really like Earl Thomas and after last season think he has almost as much upside as Eric Berry(!!).

I think he could be the second or 3rd safety drafted, and if he rips his 40, he goes in the first.

Another reason to key in on the BCS championship game. If Texas upsets 'Bama, Earl Thomas will have had a monster night, IMO and solidified his draft status.

jtcharger24
01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
this guys a stud. as a sooner fan i hope he makes the leap.

SnowPatrol
01-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I like this guy a lot, I think he should be a first round pick based on his skill set and college production. But I don't think he is going to wow anyone with his workout's. They list him at 200lbs...but i honestly think he is not even 190lbs. I don't think he is the athlete Michael Griffith was when he was comming out and he was a late first round pick. I think he will be a total STEAL for any team in the late 1st / early 2nd round range.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Thomas to Philly please

SnowPatrol
01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Thomas to Philly please

I see them taking either Thomas or Gerhart, both positions are a big need, it should be very interesting to see what Philly does with their pick.

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Some of the best instincts I've seen in a safety period, love the way he breaks on the ball in the air, it's pretty much the one aspect in Mays game that is non existant.

I think he's a 1st round prospect though, he was projected to go there before this season and he's only improved his stock. I've tried to tell as many people as I could to watch him, I think he'll put on a show in the NC game, he steps up in big games.

phlysac
01-06-2010, 12:00 AM
He's the EXACT player the 49ers need to fill their coverage void at SS.

Clayton89
01-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Ive watched just about every Horns game the last two years and Thomas has been a heck of a player his whole stint here. Hes never played corner at least not on game days (he may have in practice his freshmen yr) and im not too worried about his athleticism since there has been plenty of times where Ive seen him suck up players on big plays so even if he doesnt run the best times he has game speed. Griffin isnt a bad comparison except Griffin was a tackling machine when he played in Austin, and honestly Griffin kind of surprised me with his times since he never really looked like a guy who was just such an overwhelming athlete in college. Thomas would probably benefit with an extra year but whoever gets him is gonna get a heck of a player and as far as the size issue there have been so many guys that have come into the league with the same knock and havent fared to badly so i dont think its too big a deal.

PickedOffTwice
01-06-2010, 07:15 AM
I think he can play safety as well, and at a high level. I'd absolutely love to draft this kid in the second if he lasts. The Browns need more longhorns anyway.

Had to fix your obvious spelling mistake ;-)

ElectricEye
01-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Earl Thomas is a legitimate first round talent. For some reason or another, the exposure for him hasn't been there as the story with Texas is almost always Colt McCoy, but if he comes out he's a first round pick, no doubt in my mind. He might have A LOT to gain from going back though, especially if Eric Berry sets a nice precedent for play making safeties going early. Then again, he could intrigue some teams that want Berry but don't have a high enough pick to get him.

princefielder28
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
There's enough teams that need safety help that if he were to declare that he'd give Mays a run for the second safety taken and could easily be a Top 15-20 pick

D-Unit
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Isn't he just a guy with Cornerback skills playing Safety?

If Perrish Cox had been playing Safety instead of Corner... I wonder if he wouldn't be talked about like this... a Top 15 player challenging Mays.

TACKLE
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
for some reason i want to compare him to charles godfrey when he was at iowa...

Except for Godfrey was a CB at Iowa who moved to safety once he hit the NFL.

Babylon
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
If the choice is being the 4th safety taken this year or the 1st taken next year i think you stay for another year at Texas.

Hines
01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I think he can be the second safety taken.

Babylon
01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I think he can be the second safety taken.

Let's see how he does thursday night against good competition not just Big-12 softies. Right now i'd have him behind Berry,Mays and Allen.

Scott Wright
01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Let's see how he does thursday night against good competition not just Big-12 softies. Right now i'd have him behind Berry,Mays and Allen.

I'd have Thomas as my third safety behind Berry and Mays.

Reminds me of Michael Griffin.

CC.SD
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Jamal Charlezzz...

speaking of texas longhorns, and specifically runningbacks, what the heck happened to selvin young?

He ran for 2000 yards.

BaLLiN
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Except for Godfrey was a CB at Iowa who moved to safety once he hit the NFL.

i knew that, i was just comparing them skillset-wise.