PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2010 Draft Discussion

Shane P. Hallam
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I think this board needs a new thread for 2010!

Anyway, some quick info from a reporter at steelcityinsider.com:

"Just heard two names the Steelers like: Sean Weatherspoon and Corey Wootton. So, Spikes may not be the MLB of their eye."

http://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/7428204212

diabsoule
01-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I would think they need Wooten more than Weatherspoon.

Hines
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I like Weatherspoon a lot. I wouldn't put a first rounder on him, though. My eye is on Daryl Washington and Sean Lee in the third round if they were available.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-06-2010, 01:38 AM
I think this board needs a new thread for 2010!

Anyway, some quick info from a reporter at steelcityinsider.com:

"Just heard two names the Steelers like: Sean Weatherspoon and Corey Wootton. So, Spikes may not be the MLB of their eye."

http://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/7428204212

Hmm, interesting. I though that after getting Hood the FO wouldn't pursue another 3-4 end with the first pick, but anything can happen.

I'd read somewhere that Weatherspoon wasn't exactly a great fit in a 3-4 scheme, and I think he'd be an ILB. Am I right on this?

Odrick I think is a better fit as a 3-4 DE for where we're picking.

Hines
01-06-2010, 01:44 AM
With Wootton's injury woes, he could fall to the second or maybe third for us to take. I wouldn't risk a first on him, but a second would be awesome. Maybe they're thinking on moving Ziggy to NT?

mikehop05
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
lovin me some dan lefevur

DeathbyStat
01-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I saw this mock on another site just wanted to know what you guys thought

1.Earl Thomas S Texas

2.Brandon Spikes LB Florida

3.Sergio Kindle LB Texas

I like Thomas as a play maker and I like the pick, Spikes would be a good value in the second. I really doubt Kindle falls all the way to the 3rd. If he has a great national championship game he could shoot up boards

mikehop05
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
i would go nuts for that draft

Hines
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
For many, Kindle is a one trick pony and that is strictly a pass rusher. He also has character issues that might cause him to drop. I doubt he lasts that far, but noone saw Duke Robinson or other top players drop for that reason.

DeathbyStat
01-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Quick Three Round Mock

1.Donovan Warren CB Michigan

2.Reshad Jones S Georgia

3.Sean Lee LB Penn State

4.Charles Scott RB LSU

5.Sean Canfield QB Oregon State

6.Adam Ulatoski OT Texas

7.Micky Shuler TE Penn State

lance uppercut
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Quick Three Round Mock

1.Donovan Warren CB Michigan

2.Reshad Jones S Georgia

3.Sean Lee LB Penn State

4.Charles Scott RB LSU

5.Sean Canfield QB Oregon State

6.Adam Ulatoski OT Texas

7.Micky Shuler TE Penn State

I think we are negligent if we don't bring in another young D-lineman amidst one of the strongest classes in years.

Hines
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I added a 4,5, and 7 round pick assuming we get them for McFadden, Washington, and Leftwich

1) Earl Thomas S Texas*
2) Corey Wootton DE Northwestern
3) Matt Tennant C Boston College
4a) Sean Lee LB Penn State
4b) Al Woods DT LSU
5a) Barry Church S Toledo
5b) Darius Marshall RB Marshall*
6) Sam Young OT Notre Dame
7a) Adrian Tracy OLB William and Mary
7b) Sergio Render G Virginia Tech

Mr. Goosemahn
01-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I added a 4,5, and 7 round pick assuming we get them for McFadden, Washington, and Leftwich

1) Earl Thomas S Texas*
2) Corey Wootton DE Northwestern
3) Matt Tennant C Boston College
4a) Sean Lee LB Penn State
4b) Al Woods DT LSU
5a) Barry Church S Toledo
5b) Darius Marshall RB Marshall*
6) Sam Young OT Notre Dame
7a) Adrian Tracy OLB William and Mary
7b) Sergio Render G Virginia Tech

That would be awesome, only thing we need would be CB.

Thomas is the second best playmaker (defensive back) in the draft after Berry, IMO. Only concern is his size and how well he'll hold up, but it's nothing too shabby.

Hines
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
That would be awesome, only thing we need would be CB.

Thomas is the second best playmaker (defensive back) in the draft after Berry, IMO. Only concern is his size and how well he'll hold up, but it's nothing too shabby.

I don't think we need a corner. We drafted two and we do not know anything about them. Plus we have *** and Ike. I heard Townsend tell the Pittsburgh radio on ESPN that he plans on playing another 2-3 years. If anything, we can sign a vet corner like Bodden. I also heard that Thomas can play both corner and safety.

Finnegans Wake
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
1. Dan Williams, NT, Tenn. McClain and Haden will be gone; Williams can infuse the line with some more youth. Williams gets the nod over Cody, as Tomlin's had his fill of NTs with conditioning problems. If the Steelers tag Hampton, Williams could play some 40 fronts on passing downs.

2. Dexter McCluster, RB/WR/KR, Ole Miss. Some are scared off McCluster's slight frame, but consider what a smallish DeSean Jackson has done with Philly. McCluster (4.32 40, est.) would give an immediate STs boost, could potentially be the COP back in FWP's place, and is emerging as a decent receiver. A triple threat.

3. Robert Johnson, S, Utah. The "Human Eraser" seems to have gotten lost in a flush crop of safeties, but at 6'2", 200#, and running a 4.52, he could play FS or, if needed, switch to strong. Ryan Clark is 30 and did not play well without Troy, and Ty Carter has to go.

4. Walter Thurmond, CB, Ore. Injury special. If the Steelers don't invest a high round pick in a CB, it's because they want to see if they can develop Burnett, Lewis, and the oft-targeted ***. But Thurmond, Jairus Byrd's old teammate, could have been a first day pick were it not for a knee injury.

5. Eric Olsen, C, Notre Dame. Olsen is an under-valued center who can potentially push Legursky and Stapleton for the starting job after Hartwig moves on. (Hartwig allowed 7 sacks this season.)

5. (comp for Nate Washington). Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas. At worst, badly needed depth at the tackle position. He's played LT at a major program but looks to lack the speed to protect the blind. Has the size you'd like in a RT, which might (finally) allow Willie Colon to flip in to RG, where he would be a monstrous run-blocker.

6. Danny Batten, DE, S. Dakota St. Productive at small program, should have intriguing triangle numbers to make him worth a developmental pick. Will need a year or two of strength & conditioning, not to mention coaching, but could have nice upside.

6. (comp. for Bryant McFadden). Arthur Moats, OLB, James Madison. A DE at James Madison, Moats will more resemble the "undersized" James Harrison than he will LaMarr Woodley. At 6'0" 250#, he runs a 4.58, notched 90 tackles, 23.5 TFL and 11 sacks this year to go with 65, 15.5 and 11.5 last year. Steelers have absolutely zero OLB depth, and Moats is an intriguing small school prospect.

7. Andre Sexton, SS/ILB, Okla. St. Sexton played both SS and OLB collegiately, and has 4.54 speed and over 300 career tackles. At 6'0" 224#, he'd provide a helluva thump at SS, and at ILB he's only about 10# under Farrior's playing weight. Sadly, Farrior is a liability in coverage, and whiffed badly on several critical 3rd down stops this season. Sexton would be better suited to LB in our scheme, where his speed would be a phenomenal assett, but he could potentially get a look at SS.

Notes: somewhat less confident about our comp picks than HWJ. Washington got the biggest deal and significant playing time, but compared to other FA deals it wasn't that big. Bryant got some playing time but was signed on the cheap. Leftwich was signed cheap and benched early.

brat316
01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm starting to think we won't have a real shot at Earl Thomas or Mays. But in the second round I do like Morgan Burnett, 6-1 210 lbs. I'm trying to find out more about him, but so far what I found wasn't to bad. He is sure handed, doesn't quite make the plays on the ball, but if the ball hits him in the hands its his. I'm still trying to find out more about him.

I think we end up drafting a tackle this year. Maybe Trent Williams? He can either wait on the bench until next year something the steelers are found of doing. Or since he can play both tackle positions he can play RT and end up bumping Willie inside like many of you want. Either until he is ready for LT or we land an elite LT.

brat316
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Also for those of you concerned with Thomas size look no further than Ryan Clark.

Hines
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I think Trent Williams is better suited as a RT which wouldn't be horrible, but I'd like Starks to move back there and for us to draft a true LT.

skarocksoi
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Lots of good safeties to be possibly had in the first 2 rounds. I would love Thomas in the 1st and I'm really hoping that's a possibility when draft time rolls around.

no bare feet
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM
How does this safety class and the early declarees effect your positioning on when to draft another safety. Go for Earl Thomas in the 1st and pick up some offensive line in the second or go best player available then draft safety in the second or later?

I still would not mind going S/CB in the first two rounds if the value is there. For some reason, I'd like to see Bulaga in Pittsburgh. His combine will elevate him. Bruce Campbell does not fit the Stillers way, and he is the least polished of the LT prospects.

DeathbyStat
01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
What do you guys think of Donovan Warren from Michigan

Jakey
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
What do you guys think of Donovan Warren from Michigan

Love him! He could turn out to be a major beast! If we are gonna draft a CB, Warren in round 2 would be awesome :p

DeathbyStat
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Love him! He could turn out to be a major beast! If we are gonna draft a CB, Warren in round 2 would be awesome :p

Not worth taking in the first?

Hines
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
How does this safety class and the early declarees effect your positioning on when to draft another safety. Go for Earl Thomas in the 1st and pick up some offensive line in the second or go best player available then draft safety in the second or later?

I still would not mind going S/CB in the first two rounds if the value is there. For some reason, I'd like to see Bulaga in Pittsburgh. His combine will elevate him. Bruce Campbell does not fit the Stillers way, and he is the least polished of the LT prospects.

If Thomas isn't there at 18, I would go with OT or DL in round 1. Also, Campbell has the most potential out of any OT in this draft. He has the most potential to be the best. He is very raw. He's just like Jared Gaither who is a hell of a tackle for the Ravens.

Not worth taking in the first?

I have him as a second rounder, but he's a really good man to man corner. He's improving in run support and has pretty good ball skills.

Jakey
01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
1st Quick Mock of the Year!

1. Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa - 6'6" - 315lbs

2. Brian Price - NT - UCLA - 6'2" - 310lbs

3. Eric Norwood - OLB/ILB - SC - 6'1" - 252lbs

4. Vince Ogobaase - DE - Duke - 6'5" - 305lbs

5. Kurt Coleman - FS/SS - OSU - 5'10" - 200lbs

5. (comp for Nate Washington) Ed Wang (lol) - OT - VT - 6'5" - 310lbs

6. Boo Robinson - NT - Wake Forrest - 6'1" - 310lbs

6. (comp. for Bryant McFadden) Devin Ross - CB - Arizona - 6'00" - 180lbs

7. LeMarcus Coker - RB - Hampton - 5'10" - 205lbs

Maybe abit optimistic at times...but id be happy with it. What you guys think?

mikehop05
01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
just read the best mock ever for pitt from walterfootball.com

1st. - earl thomas
2nd - brandon spikes
3rd - segio kindle

i would go nuts if this happened

mikehop05
01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
1st Quick Mock of the Year!

1. Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa - 6'6" - 315lbs

2. Brian Price - NT - UCLA - 6'2" - 310lbs

3. Eric Norwood - OLB/ILB - SC - 6'1" - 252lbs

4. Vince Ogobaase - DE - Duke - 6'5" - 305lbs

5. Kurt Coleman - FS/SS - OSU - 5'10" - 200lbs

5. (comp for Nate Washington) Ed Wang (lol) - OT - VT - 6'5" - 310lbs

6. Boo Robinson - NT - Wake Forrest - 6'1" - 310lbs

6. (comp. for Bryant McFadden) Devin Ross - CB - Arizona - 6'00" - 180lbs

7. LeMarcus Coker - RB - Hampton - 5'10" - 205lbs

Maybe abit optimistic at times...but id be happy with it. What you guys think?

i like the top 3, but dont really know anyone else

Jakey
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Bryan Bulaga - http://www.youtube.com/user/ProDraftParty#p/search/1/-DYk6GzwHC4

Brian Price - http://www.youtube.com/user/ProDraftParty#p/search/2/irQMYESMEaY

Eric Norwood - http://www.youtube.com/user/ProDraftParty#p/u/0/ZCimRrkfcFg

Vince Ogohbaase - http://www.youtube.com/user/ProDraftParty#p/search/0/d0-dWvsrWKA

Kurt Coleman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmoKb7Sc9wY

Boo Robinson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbkS-smuNEI

Lemarcus Coker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjhdAnkiJz0

Some of my mock players, highlights/lowlights.

Hines
01-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't think Price is a good fit as a 34 NT. Also, I believe he is a first round pick.

Jakey
01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah i thought the same about price, but apparently that is a guy the steelers are targeting.

Hines
01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah i thought the same about price, but apparently that is a guy the steelers are targeting.

Hmmm. I guess it will work. He's more of a pass rusher though. He seems like a Chris Hoke type and I want a run stopper as our NT.

Jakey
01-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Same here man...i dont like Price as a NT, but i trust the FO, so i'll let them off :P

I really cant see big snack resigning, so NT is going to be a tough one to sort out. Would we draft a high round one, Dan Williams, Mount Cody etc. Or fill the gap with Hokie and a FA, and try developing a NT. I really dont know what would happen.

Hines
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I personally believe Hampton will be a Steeler in 2010. If they do not work out a deal now, I expect him to get the tag.

TACKLE
02-06-2010, 01:00 AM
In my last mock I had the Steelers taking Sergio Kindle as a ILB/OLB. I know it would be more of a luxury pick, but I think he has the ability to play ILB. Obviously he could rush off the edge. The LB core would be terrifying if they had Harrison and Woodley on the outside and Timmons and Kindle inside. As a Ravens fan, its just scary even thinking about it.

What are your guys thoughts on the pick?

brat316
02-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Its a good pick. But as you said its a luxury pick and its something right now we don't really want to do, with the crap oline and the questionable secondary. I'm for where ever we can get an help right away and a starter. Earl Thomas as S or Cb, or a tackle like Williams or Bulaga. With the tackles they can start on the right side, allowing Willie to shift inside and try his hand there. We get a RT and possibly a guard out of 1 pick.

Yeah..but Timmons or Kindle would have problems stopping the run, great on passing downs terrible on run downs.

brat316
02-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Damn this board is kind of down.

Alright so what are our biggest needs this off season. Not many FA there so trades are a higher possibility this year. There are quite a few DL this year, so expect us to take at least 1 DL.

Our secondary needs to be upgraded at any of the positions, also for depth.

Line is also a big need, to we move up and take franchise LT, no to Campbell since we have a guy like Starks. Campbell is raw and we need someone who can come in.

Inside line, I think center is more important the our guard position. If we get a good enough center maybe he can play guard.

Lbs, pretty much we require depth to rotate guys in and out since they get so tired by games end, the offense is doing enough. But when the 3rd/4th quarter come they poop out.

Hines
02-09-2010, 10:31 PM
1) Franchise OT
2) Youth along the defensive side (DL, LB)
3) CB/S
4) C
5) RB

superman8456
02-09-2010, 10:51 PM
In my latest mock I had the Steelers taking Taylor Mays in the 1st and Maurkice Pouncey in the 2nd. I think that would be a solid start to a draft.

Hines
02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
That'd be an excellent first two rounds.

Jakey
02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Yep, that'd be pretty god damn awesome! I still prefer Chad Jones and Earl Thomas to Mays though.

lance uppercut
02-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I like the Pouncey in the 2nd part. Mays in the first? pretty risky. I'd rather draft almost any of the other prospects that normally get mocked to us (Bulaga, Iupati, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas). Or Odrick, Graham, Weatherspoon for that matter.

we just cannot afford a bust situation with that first rounder, and Mays' 'floor' (imo) is lower than almost any non-QB projected for the first round.

Grizzlegom
02-13-2010, 06:04 PM
who would you guys rather have, Sean Lee or Thaddeus Gibson in the fourth round?

CDub
02-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Sean Lee - but I'm not sure he'll last that long

Grizzlegom
02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Sean Lee - but I'm not sure he'll last that long

Yea i dont either but in the forum mock they are both still available so i wasn't sure who to give you guys, i was leaning Lee so sounds good to me!

Hines
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Who did you give us the first three rounds?

Grizzlegom
02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
1. Trent Williams
2. Jahvid Best
3. Amari Spievey
4. Sean Lee

I mostly went BPA based on my board. I know Best is a luxury pick but i just felt like he was too good to pass on and there are some nice players still available late. Was planning to go OLB (Worilds and Thad Gibson are the two i'm targeting), S (Kendrick Lewis and Robert Johnson top that list), and QB (Kafka and Daryll Clark) with the final three picks. If those guys don't fall to those spots, i'll also look at NT and C as other possible positions.

PittPete
02-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I've always been big on PSU backers; I would still trade Timmons for Poz in a second. But Sean Lee didn't impress me this year. I know he was coming off an injury but he was nowhere as good as he was two years ago. Several times I saw him get manhandled. against OSU he got pancaked by their fullback SEVERAL times. He got hammered physically in some other games too. The last thing I want to see is a blackandgold linebacker getting roughed up. Gibson, on the other hand, steadily impressed me as the year went on. Heyward and Gibson were a monster duo of defense for the Buckeyes last year. Heyward will be a first round pick next year. Gibson is good enough to go in the second, but will be a steal if going in the fourth as most people have him rated.

Hines
02-14-2010, 09:35 AM
He injured his knee twice in two years. I'd be heisitant to draft him and think he'll be able to stay healthy. If he does, I'd think it'd be a great investment. He's from Pittsburgh, so that's a plus.

Havok69
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
How would Steeler fans feel about Iupati in the 1st? He's not a LT, but he'd be an upgrade to a crap line and give some flexibility.

Hines
02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
I'd take him.

Grizzlegom
02-24-2010, 03:27 PM
So i tried to go BPA in the forum mock i did as the steelers since nobody else claimed them and this how it ended up. I thought it was a really nice haul, lemme know what you guys think!

1 (18). Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
2 (50). Jahvid Best, RB, California
3. (81). Amari Spievey, CB, Iowa
4. (113). Sean Lee, ILB, Penn State
5. (145). Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State
6. (177). Anthony McCoy, TE, USC
7. (209). Shann Schillinger, S, Montana

K Train
02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
So i tried to go BPA in the forum mock i did as the steelers since nobody else claimed them and this how it ended up. I thought it was a really nice haul, lemme know what you guys think!

1 (18). Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
2 (50). Jahvid Best, RB, California
3. (81). Amari Spievey, CB, Iowa
4. (113). Sean Lee, ILB, Penn State
5. (145). Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State
6. (177). Anthony McCoy, TE, USC
7. (209). Shann Schillinger, S, Montana

i like it....especially thaddeus gibson <3

brat316
02-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm starting to warm up a bit to the idea of Golden Tate in the second.

Finnegans Wake
02-28-2010, 05:29 PM
With Wootton's injury woes, he could fall to the second or maybe third for us to take. I wouldn't risk a first on him, but a second would be awesome. Maybe they're thinking on moving Ziggy to NT?

Ziggy can't play nose. Doesn't have the sand in his pants.

Finnegans Wake
02-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Hmm, interesting. I though that after getting Hood the FO wouldn't pursue another 3-4 end with the first pick, but anything can happen.

I'd read somewhere that Weatherspoon wasn't exactly a great fit in a 3-4 scheme, and I think he'd be an ILB. Am I right on this?

Odrick I think is a better fit as a 3-4 DE for where we're picking.

I like Odrick as a 3-4 DE better than I liked Hood, but Odrick would fit at LDE and I think Hood will work at RDE. As much as I love Aaron Smith, we have nothing behind him, as evidenced in 2007 and 2009. So it might make sense, even at 1.18, or a trade down.

Spoon would def be ILB, but is he too close in frame and style to Juan? I know Hines Ward Jr. says he's a thumper, but I see him less in that mold. I wouldn't be upset to draft Spoon tho'.

brat316
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Arthur Jones anyone, he has some long as arms.

Hines
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
I like Arthur Jones a lot. He has to show he is capable of staying healthy, though.

If Dwyer is there in the second, I'd be tempted. I don't care how slow his 40 was, kid is a player.

superman8456
02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
You guys should take a look at Clifton Geathers.

He is about 6'8, 300 lb, has 38 inch arms, 11 and a half inch hands. I think he would be a good fit for a 34 DE. The best thing about him is that he wont command a high draft pick. Probably 3rd at the earliest.

Hines
02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah I am intrigued by Geathers. Thing is, he doesn't really show up on tape.

Steel4Real
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
I know it's not likely, but it's possible that R. McClain could fall to #18. If he does, it would really hurt if the Steelers passed on him. Especially with Farrior on his way out in the next couple years probably.

The guy is a beast. Who would be pissed about that?

Mr. Goosemahn
02-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I know it's not likely, but it's possible that R. McClain could fall to #18. If he does, it would really hurt if the Steelers passed on him. Especially with Farrior on his way out in the next couple years probably.

The guy is a beast. Who would be pissed about that?

If someone winds up being pissed that we select Rolando McClain, then he is not a true Steelers fan. The guy embodies everything we want in a linebacker. Great character, natural leader, powerful, big, and makes his presence felt on the field.

As you mentioned, we do have to find a replacement for Farrior soon. While the guy might still have something left in the tank, it's the last of his supply. I read somewhere that this is probably his last season, if he doesn't spontaneously retire mid-summer.

I don't, however, expect McClain to slide this far. He probably fits every single defensive scheme in the NFL, and I think he'll get compared favorably to Patrick Willis, when it comes to the impact that he can have on a defense. While Willis is a proven beast, I think McClain can have the same amount of impact for a team. Due to this, while it's not virtually impossible he slides to #18, I don't think it happens. If he does start dropping, though, someone will trade up for him, and since we're picking pretty high this year, I hope it's us.

Hines
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
What if Joe Haden AND McClain magically fall to 18. Who do you chose?

Mr. Goosemahn
02-28-2010, 08:14 PM
What if Joe Haden AND McClain magically fall to 18. Who do you chose?

Man, that'd be very tough. I think I'd go McClain, just because he's a true thumper, which is what we need, and there are still two young CB's that can prove themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if we got Haden, true playmaker, but I'd prefer McClain.

Also, if we get McClain this year, we could try some highly unlikely, god-sent trade to acquire Patrick Peterson. That dude is going to be a monster.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Also, Spiller ran a 4.37 40. Proved his speed today. Third fastest thus far, I believe.

Hines
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I think I'd take Haden. True potential, shut down playmaking corners do not come around often. Plus, there are other thumping MLBs in this draft that will be just fine for me. Donald Butler from Washington intrigues me a lot.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Lol, if we somehow got both Spiller and Jacoby Ford, we'd give opposing defenses HUGE mismatches.

Spiller, Ford, and Wallace running together means teams need to have at least 3 4.3 40 defenders to keep up, let alone catch, the guys.

Spiller: 4.37
Wallace: 4.33
Ford: 4.28

brat316
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd take Haden as well, harder to find a corner that can play well, than a MLb that can tackle and shed blocks.

brat316
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I'd rather have Tate over Ford.

Ford is good, but he doesn't offer much as a WR other than straight line speed. He is a good returner, but thats about it.

If both our line and defense didn't have as many question marks.
1. Spiller
2. Tate -reminds me of a faster Hines Ward, doesn't mind getting hit, makes him play better.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I think I'd take Haden. True potential, shut down playmaking corners do not come around often. Plus, there are other thumping MLBs in this draft that will be just fine for me. Donald Butler from Washington intrigues me a lot.

Haden's going to be great. But I don't think he's got McClain's intangibles, which would be really useful considering how complicated our defense is.

I remember hearing once how McClain was considered a second defensive coordinator for Alabama, with incredible play recognition skills. That would certainly help us. Kind of like what Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher bring to Baltimore and Chicago, respectively.

brat316
02-28-2010, 08:25 PM
I see what your saying. Maybe McClain would be worth it.

Hines
02-28-2010, 08:37 PM
I see what you're saying Goose, but I'd rather have a shut down corner who has tremendous playmaking skills over a LB that we can get later.

PittPete
03-01-2010, 06:28 AM
wouldn't surprise me to see Mcclain go 5 to the chiefs. then we have to worry about Miami and Denver, but both have other needs too, so he might still slip. Only way Giants would pass is if they sign Dansby as a free agent. so, its a long shot but hold your breath. It would be far more unlikely that no cb goes in the first 17 picks of the draft, so Haden is an even longer longshot. Weatherspoon seems more likely; with Tate in the second would fit me fine. Steelers have been talking with Willie Young. anyone know anything about him other than he's huge, 6'6 250?

brat316
03-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Chiefs could take McClain, but why would you take ILB top 5 in the 3-4. Its probably one of the least important positions in the 3-4. I mean yeah they took a 3-4 DE, but they couldn't really move out of that spot and didn't really have anyone else to take.

I think they have a bigger problem of not having a true NT.

I think the Steelers probably just go BPA and not reach for anyone, they could use help at a number of positions so taking BPA nothing wrong with that. Other than Qb and TE we could pretty much take any position.

Palmer26
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
1. LB Sean Weatherspoon
2. FS Nate Allen
3. DE Alex Carrington

Spoon is a vocal leader that we are sorely lacking on defense. His play is similar to that of Farrior and even Timmons. If we are going to leave Timmons at the Mack position to develop, that Spoon seems like a legitimate replacement at the Buck for Farrior.

Other than Berry, Allen might be the best pure FS in this draft.

I know we drafted Ziggy early last year, but DE is still a big position of need. Carrington is big and physical and would look good opposite Ziggy in the long term.

brat316
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I think Thomas comes after Allen.

Finnegans Wake
03-01-2010, 03:25 PM
1. LB Sean Weatherspoon
2. FS Nate Allen
3. DE Alex Carrington

Spoon is a vocal leader that we are sorely lacking on defense. His play is similar to that of Farrior and even Timmons. If we are going to leave Timmons at the Mack position to develop, that Spoon seems like a legitimate replacement at the Buck for Farrior.

Other than Berry, Allen might be the best pure FS in this draft.

I know we drafted Ziggy early last year, but DE is still a big position of need. Carrington is big and physical and would look good opposite Ziggy in the long term.

1. LB Sean Weatherspoon
2. FS Nate Allen
3. DE Alex Carrington

Weatherspoon should be there at 1.18... I'm not sure Nate Allen will last to our R2, and I'm almost sure Carrington won't be there at R3... If we came away with these three guys though I'd be very pleased.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I think we need to focus on self-motivated, humble, hard-working guys.

For each of the past drafts, there was a kind of theme for the guys we picked.

In 2007, almost all of our high picks had loaded trophy rooms. Woodley had multiple awards, including best lineman in football, Sepulveda won the Ray Guy twice, Spaeth was the best TE, and so on.

For 2008, we took high-profile offensive players and injured ones. Mendenhall and Sweed were high-profile, and Sweed was coming of a big injury, as was Tony Hills and Dennis Dixon. Dixon was a high profile offensive player too, prior to injury.

For 2009, we went with quiet, self motivated, and very hardworking guys. Mike Wallace had his rough past to drive him, which he shares with Keenan Lewis, Ziggy Hood had great intangibles and a great work ethic, Frank Summers wanted to be a Steeler, Shipley had his "prove everyone wrong" mentality going on, etc.

I think the coaches and Tomlin are looking to repeat what they did in 2009 in regards to the types of players they are looking for. Self-motivated guys who are easily coached, and take coaching in with the purpose of using it. Down-to-earth guys who earn playing time, as opposed to simply receive it.

Mendenhall and Sweed didn't really fit that profile, as evidenced by Mendy's supposed apathy and lack of effort at the beginning of last year's season. Sweed is supposedly a humble and hardworking guy, but it looks like his ego has been seriously hurt, meaning that he too was not as down to earth as others.

Hood, Wallace, and others are the opposite of divas, and that's the type of players I'm trying to find right now.

So far, here's who I've come up with:

QB Tim Tebow, Florida
Need I say why? Unparalleled intangibles and leadership. With the way things are going as of late with Roethlisberger, I have read in many places that Steeler fans want him gone and Tebow arriving. Don't see him as a franchise QB just yet, and I know we won't draft a QB before round 5, but yeah, some of Steeler Nation are already demanding him. With his attitude, I think he could definitely learn the tricks of the trade.

S Taylor Mays, USC
Being from USC, not many people will believe that he's not a diva. While he might have a big ego, he's as hard-working and self-motivated a player as you can find. Going into the combine, many people doubted him. Suggestions about switching to OLB, not fitting in as S, and not being as fast as he supposedly was. What did he do? He had a great combine, recording the fastest time for any DB, and bringing on a wave of controversy regarding the authenticity of his 40 yard dash, supposedly being timed .1 seconds slower than he actually ran. In an interview with Steve Wyche right after running his 40, Mays was visibly irritated with the 4.43, and his answer was that he simply wanted to prove he could run a 4.2 at the USC Pro Day. His performance at the combine showed two things: he truly is as gifted an athlete as people thought he was, and he works extremely hard when nobody is really pushing him. Look up "Nothing But Freaks" on Youtube, the ESPN special about him and 4 others. They voluntarity got together and trained on a daily basis with a special diet specifically designed to improve themselves for the combine. That shows a lot about his character. Not everybody goes into such training regimes (see Andre Smith, Terrence Cody, and countless others), and very few do so by their own decision. He also listens to coaches and does whatever is asked of him. This past year, he pretty much played deep, pretty much all season long. Not many safeties would have done this without a single complaint. Mays did. He sacrifices his personal desires for the team. In the same interview with Wyche, he said that he does what coaches ask him to do, and to the best of his abilities. He's a tough, smart, hard-working guy that doesn't need coaches riding his back all the time.

LB Rolando McClain, Alabama
A true leader at ILB, I think he's got potential to be as influential a leader as Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher are. Great football IQ, dedicated to the game, he follows coaches without hesitation and does what's asked of him. According to multiple sources, he spends countless hours watching film, analyzing opponents, and breaking down opponents strategies. Called by some a "second defensive coordinator," he makes great calls while on the field, indicating he's got a great ability to read plays and react accordingly. Add in the fact that he's a powerful guy, and he's as much an intimidator as Mays is. No character concerns, no off-season troubles, he consistently works to get better and is the type of player you try to build your defense around.

DT/DE Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
No chance we get him, but he too is a great character guy who you can build a defense around.

RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
One of the 4 guys who worked with Mays in the "Nothing But Freaks" program, Spiller is another great character. He too works his butt off even when coaches aren't pressing him too, and it shows. He's constantly able to conserve his game-breaking speed, and he does what coaches ask him to. This has led to his ability to be a very versatile back who can fit almost any scheme, be it pass-catching, run oriented, and whatnot. He's a smart player who knows what he brings to the table and doesn't create a big fuzz out of things. He'd be a perfect addition for our offense, as a complimentary back to Mendenhall and a threat to make a big play every time he touches the ball.

LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
Spoon plays with a non-stop motor and constantly gives everything he has on the field. Consistently working hard, and being a natural leader for Missouri, Spoon is another great player to have on your defense. Good football IQ, does what coaches ask him to do. There are some concerns about him off the field, though. While he never gets into trouble (quite the contrary, he's labeled a "good guy"), he is a bit goofy sometimes, and while this usually has no impact whatsoever on his game, there was at least one GM who already said he wouldn't want Spoon in his locker room. The GM, at the combine, said "He never shuts up. He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room." Another FO personnel guy had this to say about Spoon at the combine: "[He] was criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League." While there are many contrasting reports, the majority seem to indicate that his antics are usually minor and don't have any major impact on the team (such as an American Idol interpretation in a locker room). In any case, he's a true leader on the field, works extremely hard, and is an element that everyone should want on their team. Another source compared him to Dwight Howard, saying that while off the field he's goofy and pranks other players and makes constant jokes, he completely switches when playing, leaving everything on the court, simply dominates, and is fully concentrated, not letting the silly things interfere with his performance.

WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel
Small school guy who's rising up draft boards as of late. No character concerns whatsoever, he's a reliable target who coaches love. He completes his assignments, does all that coaches ask him to do, and is an example for the rest of his team; a true leader. He work ethic was called "admirable" by an opponents coach, and his effort is never short of his best. He'll work as hard as he possibly could, no matter where he lands.

C J.D. Walton, Baylor
Another guy who consistently gives it his all. Centers have to be clever and smart, and this guy definitely fits both criteria. Add in the fact that he doesn't stop pushing and working until the play is called dead, and you have a guy who competes at a high level with a mean streak. Not intimidated by big defensive tackles, he's played against good ones in his college career. He could be the center we've lacked for a couple years now.

So, who else do you guys have as high character, hard working, self motivated team leaders?

mikehop05
03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
i think brandon grahm needs to be in that discussion as well, i agree with your analysis though

Jakey
03-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Obviously Myron Rolle springs to mind. Very Tomlin-esque type of guy.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Okay, so I think that, all things considered, our pick will come down to one of the following five guys:

Mike Iupati
Earl Thomas
Sean Weatherspoon
C.J. Spiller
Rolando McClain

Haden will probably be taken by a top 10 team, don't see him falling out of there, sadly.

Agree? Disagree?

Steelersfan4life
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree, but maybe add a tackle like Trent Williams or Anthony Davis.

steel man
03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
i think we may take a look at Mays also....just a feeling.

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
also add Pouncey to that list...i hope not though..

PRAYING FOR SPILLER!!!! :D

JonasBlane
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
I just hope we get OL, CB or Spiller with our first rounder.

Mays is interesting too... The prospect of his athleticism and hard hitting being coached up by Lebeau is very tempting.

BJJ3rd
03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Mays is interesting too... The prospect of his athleticism and hard hitting being coached up by Lebeau is very tempting.

I'll pass on Mays.

K Train
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
**** mays....4 year starters at usc shouldnt have to be coached up

DeathbyStat
03-30-2010, 03:57 PM
i think we may take a look at Mays also....just a feeling.

I would pass on mays

BJJ3rd
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
hopefully management is looking at mays the same way we are. don't care to see him in black and gold.

TACKLE
04-04-2010, 11:23 PM
If Pouncey, Spoon, Earl Thomas and all four of the OT's are gone, where do you see them going? I know Iupati would be an option but they did draft Kraig Urbick last year. What about Kyle Wilson or Kareem Jackson. Any input would be great.

Hines
04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, Iupati and Wilson would be good picks.

TACKLE
04-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, Iupati and Wilson would be good picks.

Who would be the better pick? Who is the more likely pick?

brat316
04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
If Pouncey, Spoon, Earl Thomas and all four of the OT's are gone, where do you see them going? I know Iupati would be an option but they did draft Kraig Urbick last year. What about Kyle Wilson or Kareem Jackson. Any input would be great.

They usually look a year ahead, so they may draft Olb or safety, also another Rb isn't out of the question. I am hoping we draft Pouncey, fills in as guard and center.

I have a hard time with Iupati pick because they drafted Urbick, and same with drafting cbs in the first round. Maybe in the later rounds sure.

Hines
04-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I think they might take a look at Iupati and see if he can play T at the next level. I know he looked horrible at that spot, but it'd be worth a try.

steelernation77
04-05-2010, 12:19 AM
hopefully management is looking at mays the same way we are. don't care to see him in black and gold.

I can't link to it because it's paid material but I can tell you that Ed Bouchette from the PG Post-Gazette has said that Mike Tomlin is not a fan of Taylor Mays and will not take him early in the draft.

PittPete
04-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Comparing Iupati to Urbik is like comparing Faneca to Stapleton. Iupati has tremendous upside while Urbik shouldn't even make the team. Actually, I would take Stapleton over Urbik. that said, I would prefer to take Graham over Iupati at 18. Graham's ready to contribute right now, while Iupati will take a year or two. I like wilson, just not this high. He's not going to be there in round two however.

K Train
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
while Urbik shouldn't even make the team. Actually, I would take Stapleton over Urbik. .

i hardly know you, but i love you

Hines
04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I love how everyone disses Urbik when he hasn't had a chance to prove himself.

K Train
04-05-2010, 09:33 AM
just because he failed at showing anything, even potential, doesnt mean he didnt get a shot to show his stuff. just unimpressive across the board

Hines
04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Then I guess everyone was down on Mendenhall because he had a less than stellar rookie season and first couple of games this season. I remember people being down on him too. They're eating crow. Some players take time to develop into NFL players. I'd give him some more time.

Edit: I meant that Mendenhall is a bust because he had a less than stellar rookie season.

K Train
04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
hey im not giving up on him, but i was saying this from the day we drafted him and he didnt do anything to change my mind. some players take a year or 2, im not stupid....but some players also fail from day one (bruce davis, willie reid)

i hate when people say that timmons is a bust or mendenhall is a bust their rookie years....but i also looked at them as premier talents with better talent in front of them (for the most part). ive never looked at urbik as being a big contibutor, and its not like hes got superstars to beat out for a job

Hines
04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Well I hate when people say players are busts without them getting a proper and fair chance.

K Train
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Well I hate when people say players are busts without them getting a proper and fair chance.

i dont really consider 3rd round and on to be busts, shipley and summers wont be known as busts, they will be known as wasted picks. basically how urbik will be remembered. he didnt have value at that spot so it was more of a reach and fail more than a bust.

i hope the man turns into a perennial pro bowler and makes me look like a ******* idiot...that would be awesome

PittPete
04-06-2010, 06:50 AM
As drafniks we all have our opinions on our picks; mostly from clips and other peoples views. When you watch a player for several years you have a more solid perspective of what he is like. For instance, I like the Limas Sweed pick because he looked good the couple times I saw him in college. Now that I've seen him with clumsy hands, buffoon feet and terrible psyche, I can't see him being of any use to us. I watch a lot of big 10 games and usually have a more solid perspective on players from that conference. Hence my fascination with Brandon Graham and to a lesser extent Andrew Quarless, among others. I never saw Urbik as a premiere talent. I would love for him to prove me wrong. It happened with Larry Foote. I thought he was a player who peaked in college and was too small and slow to be anything other than a special teams player in the nfl. a couple seasons ago I thought he was our most consistant and mvp. Since Urbik was behind Legursky and foster, obviously the coaches are not enamored with him either.

K Train
04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
As drafniks we all have our opinions on our picks; mostly from clips and other peoples views. When you watch a player for several years you have a more solid perspective of what he is like. For instance, I like the Limas Sweed pick because he looked good the couple times I saw him in college. Now that I've seen him with clumsy hands, buffoon feet and terrible psyche, I can't see him being of any use to us. I watch a lot of big 10 games and usually have a more solid perspective on players from that conference. Hence my fascination with Brandon Graham and to a lesser extent Andrew Quarless, among others. I never saw Urbik as a premiere talent. I would love for him to prove me wrong. It happened with Larry Foote. I thought he was a player who peaked in college and was too small and slow to be anything other than a special teams player in the nfl. a couple seasons ago I thought he was our most consistant and mvp. Since Urbik was behind Legursky and foster, obviously the coaches are not enamored with him either.

exactly...i have opinions about players well before we draft them, i am all about the draft as all you guys are im sure...its the main reason i watch college football. i didnt like hood for the steelers, but id be thrilled if i was a colts fan and they drafted him.

never liked urbik at all, he didnt do anything to change my mind. if im wrong, then damnit ill admit i was wrong. i HATED the idea of drafting revis a few years ago, the man made me eat my words in a big way

steelernation77
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
So who are we drafting to replace Holmes?

Mr. Goosemahn
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
So who are we drafting to replace Holmes?

I'd target Bryant, but the team probably won't, given the fact he's also got some issues.

Golden Tate, Bey Bey, Arrelious Benn are the top three guys other than Bryant for me. Those three could be special players.

Tate plays like a Steve Smith/Hines Ward hybrid, Bey Bey is like Brandon Marshall, and Benn is like Boldin.

Any of the three would be great additions / replacements.

steelernation77
04-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I'd target Bryant, but the team probably won't, given the fact he's also got some issues.

Golden Tate, Bey Bey, Arrelious Benn are the top three guys other than Bryant for me. Those three could be special players.

Tate plays like a Steve Smith/Hines Ward hybrid, Bey Bey is like Brandon Marshall, and Benn is like Boldin.

Any of the three would be great additions / replacements.

So do you think WR is a first round need then? I think it might be, but it'll be all about value of WR prospects vs. value of prospects available at other positions of need.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
So do you think WR is a first round need then? I think it might be, but it'll be all about value of WR prospects vs. value of prospects available at other positions of need.

Other than Bryant, all other guys would be reaches at 18. Justifiable? Sure. But I'd rather trade down for either of them, or trade back up in the second.

If Pouncey or Iupati or Graham or Thomas are available in the first, and Bryant is gone, I'd take one of them and trade up in the second.

Otherwise, trade down in the first.

Finnegans Wake
04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Philly and Pittsburgh both have 11 picks. If Philly wanted to grab two R1 players, would you pull the trigger on this:

Pitt 1.18 + 5.151 + 5.155 (Holmes) <---> 2.37 (McNabb) + 2.55 + 4.105 Philly

On traditional points, that's 960 we're giving up and 964 we're receiving.

Would then have:

5.164 C
5.166 C
7.242 C

I personally like the idea of 6 picks R2-4.

Just thinkin'.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Philly and Pittsburgh both have 10 picks. If Philly wanted to grab two R1 players, would you pull the trigger on this:

Pitt 1.18 + 5.151 + 5.155 (Holmes) <---> 2.37 (McNabb) + 3.82 + 4.105 Philly

Would then have:

5.164 C
5.166 C
7.242 C

Just thinkin'.

Again, no Pouncey or Iupati or Graham or Thomas, and that would be perfect.

Also, why three second rounders? Wouldn't it be two second rounders and two thirds?

steelernation77
04-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Philly and Pittsburgh both have 10 picks. If Philly wanted to grab two R1 players, would you pull the trigger on this:

Pitt 1.18 + 5.151 + 5.155 (Holmes) <---> 2.37 (McNabb) + 3.82 + 4.105 Philly

Would then have:

5.164 C
5.166 C
7.242 C

Just thinkin'.

I'd rather have 18.

Finnegans Wake
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Again, no Pouncey or Iupati or Graham or Thomas, and that would be perfect.

Also, why three second rounders? Wouldn't it be two second rounders and two thirds?

Corrected the original. We get their two R2 for our R1, and they get our two R5 non-comps for a R4.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Corrected the original. We get their two R2 for our R1, and they get our two R5 non-comps for a R4.

Three seconds would be awesome.

Hines
04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
We have 11 picks, not 10.

Finnegans Wake
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
We have 11 picks, not 10.

Yeah, what the hell? We both have 11 picks. You can tell it's a Monday.

K Train
04-12-2010, 03:06 PM
i would trade the 4th, both 5ths and the 6th and 7th for a 2nd and 3rd or something.

then just have 4-5 picks in the first 3 rounds and the comp picks. no way we need all 11 picks

TheFinisher
04-19-2010, 06:59 AM
what's up guys, got a question for you...

How much water does Iupati's Senior Bowl performance hold as far as how you view him as a prospect? I had him in a mock to you at 18 w/ McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez all off the board. Got ripped apart for it by Steeler fans basically saying that Guards shouldn't be taken that high, and he's not the elite prospect we thought he was after Geno Atkins got the better of him at the Senior Bowl, that C/OT are bigger needs for you, etc.

Am I just taking crazy pills or is that generally how Steeler fans feel about Iupati?

and just a sidenote: with you're second pick would you rather have Jahvid Best or Mardy Gilyard?

Smooth Criminal
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
I'd rather have Pouncey. He would start from day one and improve this offense. Iupati could as well, but if they're both there Id take Pouncey.

In the 2nd, if they're looking at receiver, I'd like to trade up and land Golden Tate or Benn. Those are my two favorite receivers in this draft.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-19-2010, 08:08 AM
what's up guys, got a question for you...

How much water does Iupati's Senior Bowl performance hold as far as how you view him as a prospect? I had him in a mock to you at 18 w/ McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez all off the board. Got ripped apart for it by Steeler fans basically saying that Guards shouldn't be taken that high, and he's not the elite prospect we thought he was after Geno Atkins got the better of him at the Senior Bowl, that C/OT are bigger needs for you, etc.

Am I just taking crazy pills or is that generally how Steeler fans feel about Iupati?

and just a sidenote: with you're second pick would you rather have Jahvid Best or Mardy Gilyard?

With McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez off the board, I think the pick is between Iupati and Pouncey, Graham also just because we all really want him, lol.

I'd like Iupati, and have no issues taking him at 18 with those guys off the board. While it is hard to justify a guard at 18, it's just as hard do to so for a center, so if someone says we shouldn't go guard at 18 because they shouldn't go that high but still want a center there, they've got a very questionable argument.

The highest centers have gone recently are Jeff Faine and Alex Mack at 21 each, with guards being somewhere around those picks too.

Iupati's still a great pick at 18 for us, no matter if guards shouldn't go that high. We need help all across the line, and while center is also a big need for us, tackle not so much. As nice as it'd be to get a franchise tackle, the top 4 guys will be gone and we're not taking Bruce Campbell. Plus, the coaching staff really like Starks and Colon as the starters, much to our frustration. They played well at time last year, but we could do better.

And for the record, I don't know why Pouncey's stock soared from a mid second rounder to a mid first rounder. The guy didn't do that much IMO to warrant such an increase, but that's the way these things happen, I suppose. People all of a sudden started lauding him and he rose. A mid-first center should be the next Dermontti Dawson.

Plus, we always go BPA in the first two rounds. Usually if it meets an area of need, we go there, like Hood last year. So I think Iupati could be near the top of the list with the way your draft went.

And for the second pick, trade up for Tate or Benn. If not, I'd go Best, just to have another RB. We have Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, and three guys with a whopping 3 games of experience from all three combined.

Hope this helps.

K Train
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
With McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez off the board, I think the pick is between Iupati and Pouncey, Graham also just because we all really want him, lol.

I'd like Iupati, and have no issues taking him at 18 with those guys off the board. While it is hard to justify a guard at 18, it's just as hard do to so for a center, so if someone says we shouldn't go guard at 18 because they shouldn't go that high but still want a center there, they've got a very questionable argument.

The highest centers have gone recently are Jeff Faine and Alex Mack at 21 each, with guards being somewhere around those picks too.

Iupati's still a great pick at 18 for us, no matter if guards shouldn't go that high. We need help all across the line, and while center is also a big need for us, tackle not so much. As nice as it'd be to get a franchise tackle, the top 4 guys will be gone and we're not taking Bruce Campbell. Plus, the coaching staff really like Starks and Colon as the starters, much to our frustration. They played well at time last year, but we could do better.

And for the record, I don't know why Pouncey's stock soared from a mid second rounder to a mid first rounder. The guy didn't do that much IMO to warrant such an increase, but that's the way these things happen, I suppose. People all of a sudden started lauding him and he rose. A mid-first center should be the next Dermontti Dawson.

Plus, we always go BPA in the first two rounds. Usually if it meets an area of need, we go there, like Hood last year. So I think Iupati could be near the top of the list with the way your draft went.

And for the second pick, trade up for Tate or Benn. If not, I'd go Best, just to have another RB. We have Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, and three guys with a whopping 3 games of experience from all three combined.

Hope this helps.
i always thought pouncey would be a first rounder, not so much a top 15 consideration but the man can ball. im saying pouncey > mack/wood/unger. just a notch below mangold and a notch below mangold=pro bowl center

i dont know how ben isnt terrified to take snaps from hartwig. imo pouncey is a much more refined player than iupati but both have elite potential.

on a side note....draft is getting ******* close lol

Mr. Goosemahn
04-19-2010, 09:55 AM
i always thought pouncey would be a first rounder, not so much a top 15 consideration but the man can ball. im saying pouncey > mack/wood/unger. just a notch below mangold and a notch below mangold=pro bowl center

i dont know how ben isnt terrified to take snaps from hartwig. imo pouncey is a much more refined player than iupati but both have elite potential.

on a side note....draft is getting ******* close lol

Yeah, that's true, Pouncey is ready to play at a higher level than Iupati right now.

TheFinisher
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, and IMO A combo of Best and Mendenhall would be sick.

ellsy82
04-02-2011, 08:00 PM
That draft didn't end up too bad.