PDA

View Full Version : Jevan Snead going pro

SillyRyno
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
All of the Rivals and Scout beat writers for the program just received messages about it. So an official declaration should be forthcoming.

edit: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4805195

Mississippi quarterback Jevan Snead will forgo his senior season to enter the NFL draft, sources told ESPN.com's Chris Low.

An official announcement is expected later Thursday.

Giantsfan1080
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow if this real then it's a dumb move.

Stamper
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
2nd round at best. had a terrible terrible junior season but i guess hes thinking he should leave before the rookie pay scale.

CC.SD
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Not so bad for a team with some time to sit him. I know he had a terrible year but I still think he can be an NFL starter.

no bare feet
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
A move that could cost him 10-20 million dollars. It may not be the smartest move now, but I feel he will still be the best pro out of the QB class.

SillyRyno
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I imagine it has less to do with the rookie pay scale and more to do with the fact that he'd be on a real short leash next season if he came back.

scenarios he had to choose from

a) go pro after a crappy junior season and be a 2nd or 3rd (maybe later) round pick. You'll be on an NFL team but won't have the mega bucks.

b) stay at Ole Miss and be awesome and bump yourself back up into the 1st round. sign the mega millions contract.

c) stay at Ole Miss and continue to suck and get benched. No NFL, no bucks. Destination: Canada.

prock
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
dumb dumb dumb dumb. at least for him it is. i wouldnt mind the vikes spending a second rounder on him.

JFLO
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
http://www.andrewcommander.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/shooting-yourself-in-the-foot.jpg

DiG
01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
i can definitely see snead getting some consideration from shanahan at the top of rd 2. he seems like a shanahan type of qb. big arm, very mobile, tons of potential. although i still think thats a bit early for him.

Hurricanes25
01-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Terrible decison but I have a feeling he is going to be one of those guy's who have a better pro career than college career.

JFLO
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
It's a dumb move, but he is still the fourth best quarterback in the class (w/o Mallet).

I wouldn't be surprised to see some team trade up in the first round to pick him up though.

WMD
01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
He's the Vikings next QB! They'll get him at the end of Round One.

brat316
01-07-2010, 01:51 PM
As a prospect how good is he? Can he sneak into the bottom of the first round?

Can he beat out the bunch of system qbs we have this year. There are two qbs to take in the top of hte round and one comes from a spread system.

After that its a toss up of who u like better and when u want to pick them.

SillyRyno
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
at least we know he can take an NFL quality lick:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/OleMissCub17/jevancrushed1.gif

ThePudge
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Big mistake, especially if Ryan Mallett declares. There's some decent underclassmen talent here and some seniors that figure to find a place fairly early (Tebow, McCoy, Pike.) With Snead in, a few successful college QBs who will get a shot, and a couple sleepers (Levi Brown, John Skelton, Dan LeFevour).. this QB class is easily the most interesting in years. Very deep, and very talented in the 3rd-5th Round. The Combine will be extremely interesting to watch.

no bare feet
01-07-2010, 01:58 PM
He will end up the best pro out of this QB class. The class is full of a bunch of 3rd-5th rounders. I am disgusted by the lack of talent in this class.

YotoJets007
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
It is a smart part on him. So what if he struggled in junior campaign. He should be 2nd qb off the board, 3rd with Mallett going pro because none of 2010 qb class is NFL ready as teams will continue focusing on physical tools.

Clausen
Mallett
Snead
Brown
Skelton
Bradford
DeFevour

Babylon
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
He seemed so shell shocked there this year he probably just wants out. Would probably have a real chance to go a lot higher next year with success there but we'll never know. Seems like a Mike Holmgen type project if he can last till the 3rd (Do they have a 3rd in Cleveland?).

D-Unit
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Good move. He was only going to turn into an UDFA after next season.

49ers1984
01-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Good move. He was only going to turn into an UDFA after next season.

That is about what he is right now a 7th rounder to udfa. If he came back and improved he could have jumped into the first or second rounds.

DJC
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't touch him before the 4th, and that's only on potential. His production this year was just terrible. You take out his games against UAB, Northern Arizona, and Southeastern Lousiana, and he's completing about 50% of his passes with a TD:INT ratio of 12:20 on the year.

SillyRyno
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
That is about what he is right now a 7th rounder to udfa. If he came back and improved he could have jumped into the first or second rounds.

I think that's a little bit too low for him right now. With his skill set he's AT LEAST in the 3rd round.

CC.SD
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I think that's a little bit too low for him right now. With his skill set he's AT LEAST in the 3rd round.

I think that's his ceiling but I don't think he falls much further either. Good developmental prospect.

neko4
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I think its a smart move, since this a weaker QB class. Snead is probably going to have a good combine and played very well last year. yes, he poorly this year, but Im not sure you can put all the blame on him. He just lost an all-american OT (plus a couple more OL, I believe) and a reciever.
I think its something like
Clausen
Mallet
Bradford
Snead
Tebow/McCoy

And I dont think any of those guys is head and shoulders over the others. Next year Locker and possibly Pryor are coming out.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
http://overpixelated.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/picard-facepalm2.jpg

YotoJets007
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I think its a smart move, since this a weaker QB class. Snead is probably going to have a good combine and played very well last year. yes, he poorly this year, but Im not sure you can put all the blame on him. He just lost an all-american OT (plus a couple more OL, I believe) and a reciever.
I think its something like
Clausen
Mallet
Bradford
Snead
Tebow/McCoy

And I dont think any of those guys is head and shoulders over the others. Next year Locker and possibly Pryor are coming out.

If Mallett going pro then Stanzi could be the real challenger for Locker with strong senior campaign. Thats it for now. Wow.

brat316
01-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Mallett hasn't even enter why do people keep bringing him up.

hagy34
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
He's the Vikings next QB! They'll get him at the end of Round One.

YIKES. Please no.

BaLLiN
01-07-2010, 03:13 PM
4th-6th rounder really depends on his combine tho.

FlyingElvis
01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
He'll likely sign, at the very least, a 4 year 2+ million contract as a late 3rd or early 4th round pick.

If he puts together some good workouts and a good combine he could bump himself into round 2 and get a significantly better contract.

Staying in school makes it a toss up. He could blow up and be a top 10 pick or he could tumble like Hardy did, only his tumble would knock him down to the final day or even UFDA.

Given the choice, I'd take the money now. Seems like a smart choice to me since the QBs in this draft all have question marks +/- red flags.

princefielder28
01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
never bought into the hype and today's decision is probably the only good one that he's made all year

tjsunstein
01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Go out when you're on top. Wait..

eagles6606
01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't understand this move. He does have good physical tools, but he had an awful year. If he played well next season, I think he could have gotten himself into round 1 or 2. He is, in my opinion, a 4th round prospect right now.

holt_bruce81
01-07-2010, 03:32 PM
A dumb decision, but if he's there in the 4th. He'd be a steal for the Rams!

RaiderNation
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Should stay, could contend with Locker for the 1st QB spot next year. 3rd rounder at best. Maybe a team like Minnesota who has enough QB's could draft him and sit him til he is ready.

JLaw45
01-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Go out when you're on top. Wait..

More like "cut your losses". Yes its true that, as many in this thread have pointed out, Snead could easily be a round 1-2 prospect next year if he has a good season.

But that is a really big if. As was already mentioned, he's losing a number of key pieces to the puzzle this year(few OL and a receiver, plus McCluster) and the chances of him really improving significantly upon this year might not be as high as he'd like.
And, of course, if he doesn't get that improvement he'll end up in the UFL or Canada.

All things considered, not really that crappy of a decision.

YotoJets007
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Mallett hasn't even enter why do people keep bringing him up.

Because we have not passed the deadline yet. January 15th is the deadline date. After that, we will shut up. wink.

brat316
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
does he become the next Kyle Boller?

StorminNorman
01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I think this is a valid decision by Snead, I don't think anyone can call it "great" or "horrible".

The only reason to stay at Ole Miss is if you think you can significantly help your draft stock next year. Considering his Head Coach has never produced an NFL QB and his offensive coordinator and QB coach doesn't have ANY NFL experience - he could probably be a lot better off sitting behind Jason Campbell next year.

You can't forget his talent, he would look great in shorts at the combine and on his Pro Day. If he interviews well, he could easily secure a spot in the top 42.

Brent
01-07-2010, 04:06 PM
smart move, he was only going to make matters worse. besides, he's got pro-style system experience, unlike a lot of these QBs coming out.

Flyboy
01-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I still like him as a prospect. *shrugs*

SenorGato
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I still like him as a prospect. *shrugs*

+1

I think it's smart anyway...he's losing alot of Ole Miss' best players...Hodge, McCluster, Jerry, whoever else...I think all these guys become solid players.

Is it true he's ***? How would that sit with the NFL?

BeerBaron
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
A dumb decision, but if he's there in the 4th. He'd be a steal for the Rams!

You're going to take another QB in the 4th after taking Clausen #1 overall with all the other needs you have?

Anyways, bad move by him. He had about as bad of junior year as someone with his hype going into the season possibly could have.

That said, I don't think he lasts beyond the end of the 2nd round. 3rd at the absolute latest.

Shane P. Hallam
01-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Some major hate for Snead going on here. Yes, he had a BAD year. But it is a high risk/high reward type of situation for a guy who really had the tools, and decent intangibles. I really feel like he could be successful with very good coaching. We'll see.

holt_bruce81
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Some major hate for Snead going on here. Yes, he had a BAD year. But it is a high risk/high reward type of situation for a guy who really had the tools, and decent intangibles. I really feel like he could be successful with very good coaching. We'll see.

What round do you see him going in? Kind of hard to say because he has all the tools and teams could fall in love with him after workouts.

wordofi
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
All of the Rivals and Scout beat writers for the program just received messages about it. So an official declaration should be forthcoming.

He must not have confidence in his abilities.

Shane P. Hallam
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
What round do you see him going in? Kind of hard to say because he has all the tools and teams could fall in love with him after workouts.

Big question. Comparing him to other guys, I think he definitely could go in the 2nd after workouts and if he showcases his arm.

StorminNorman
01-07-2010, 04:30 PM
There is no way he falls below Round 3.

Again, after all is said and done, in a draft full of teams in need of a QB, he will be a top 42 pick.

RealityCheck
01-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Ole Miss will suck next year...

SillyRyno
01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Was it really that bad of a decision? I'm a diehard Rebel fan and I watched every game this year (even the terrible non-conf games) and he never showed any signs of improvement from where he started the season.

Nutt already came out and said that they were going to have a QB battle in the spring and that he thought his QB's were too soft and was going to take off the red jerseys during practice. If Snead were to stay for his senior season and CONTINUE to suck and get benched, then he for damn sure wouldn't even get drafted next year.

Of course the flip side is if he came back and did well then he'd jump back into the 1st round and get the mega bucks.

Check this out, Eli and Jevan had very similar numbers their first and second seasons.

2001 - Eli - 144.84 rating
2002 - Eli - 125.57
2003 - Eli - 148.10

2008 - Jevan - 145.51
2009 - Jevan - 124.81
2010 - Jevan - guess we'll never know

neko4
01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I still think he will end up being the best QB from this draft class.

*Big Arm
*Mobility
*Pro Style experience
*"Moxi"
*Decent mechanics/footwork

His biggest problem has obviously been his decision making (and at points his accuracy is awesome and other times its downright horrible), but that is a fixable problem. At this point in a guy's life he cant really improve his speed or arm strength by too much. Mechanics and footwork can change, but are typically hard to change.By now most players have been seperated between those who can lead and those who cant. He may not start for 2-3 years, but I truly believe he'll be the best QB. I still worry about his overall intelligence and the fact that he couldnt beat out McCoy

Don Vito
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Ole Miss will suck next year...

**** you...no really despite Sneads suckiness this hurts us. All we have now is a redshirt freshman who looked worse than Snead in the Cotton Bowl and a freshman who is currently redshiting who is really raw.

He went down the shitter this year. Now that he is done with Ole Miss I have no problem telling you that he is a drunk. Everytime I'm at the bars he's there and everytime people I know go out they see him too. Hedidn't take football seriously this year and any Ole Miss student or player will tell you that. Nobody likes him anyway, I **** you not he would yell his name out or tell girls who he was at the bars and people would scatter. Not only was he at the bars all the time, but everytime I saw him he was dick in the dirt drunk. Not buzzing but sloppy drunk, we all get like that but he was constantly as an SEC QB with an NFL future. This summer he was a wreck on the square constanly.

After the Bama game I was at an apartment pregame off the square and Snead showed up with a bunch of sketchy people and busted girls, he was completely ****** up and this was about 3 hours after the game. How did he do it? I don't know, but he was shitfaced. Naturally we were too and but we had been in the grove tailgating all day while he was throwing interceptions. He was talking to one of my friends who he class with the year before and you could barely understand a word he was saying.

Talented? Yes. But he is a risk and I'm sure you all know that. Needs to take football more seriously, probably declared because every student and player at Ole Miss don't like him.

Fly_EaglesFly
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
will cost himself some $$$ but i think if he has some time to grow, and not thrown into a bad situation, he'll be fine

SillyRyno
01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I was at Ole Miss 7 years, 4 in undergrad and 3 for law school, and while I don't go there anymore, I still know plenty of people up there and I can verify the claims that Don Vito is making. Several people I know have mentioned that they always see him out at the bars and that he is kind of a toolbag.

Oh, and as far as Ole Miss goes next season, I'll be happy with a 7 win season. Honestly though, I'm far more concerned with losing Dexter than losing Snead. This Ole Miss team won ball games BECAUSE of Dexter and IN SPITE of Snead. Snead didn't win us a single game this year.

SillyRyno
01-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I also hate that Jevan is kind of a low character guy considering all of the "good" dudes that Ole Miss has put out there lately into the NFL. Guys like Willis, Oher, Mike Wallace, Chris Spencer. All of those guys are very cool dudes and have strong character. I doubt you'll ever see them get into any trouble or have baby mama's running around. Dexter is also a tremendous character guy.

Oh, and Powe is gonna be a hoot once he gets into the NFL. He's a funny dude who lives for football.

neko4
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
For what its worth, I've heard that Josh Freeman was a dick head, but so was Ryan Leaf

LookItsAlDavis
01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
"Jevan Snead went to the NFL and he was a ratard."

stephenson86
01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
at least we know he can take an NFL quality lick:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/OleMissCub17/jevancrushed1.gif

this could be why he is going pro, hasnt gotten over being knocked the **** out

regoob2
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
He's right now the #3 QB. I would go back but entering the draft is never the worst case scenario.

Byrd430
01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I can't believe the love that Snead is getting here. He's a horrible quarterback, and a horrible prospect IMO. He can't lead his team against college defenses, hell he had a bad game against a FCS school.

Yeah, he has potential. He has some of the physical tools. He doesn't have the work ethic. He makes poor decisions. Doesn't that remind you of another SEC QB?

I hope whoever drafts him is just for depth. He definitely will not be a quality NFL starter, he won't be the best QB in this draft class. I'll make any bet you want on that one.

StorminNorman
01-08-2010, 01:47 AM
I can't believe the love that Snead is getting here. He's a horrible quarterback, and a horrible prospect IMO. He can't lead his team against college defenses, hell he had a bad game against a FCS school.

Yeah, he has potential. He has some of the physical tools. He doesn't have the work ethic. He makes poor decisions. Doesn't that remind you of another SEC QB?

I hope whoever drafts him is just for depth. He definitely will not be a quality NFL starter, he won't be the best QB in this draft class. I'll make any bet you want on that one.

No one will ever, ever, EVER argue that he is the best QB in this draft class. Hell, I bet Snead himself wouldn't (truthfully) argue he is the best QB in this draft class.

If JaMarcus Russell was forced to sit behind another QB for 2 years, would he have been a different QB? Quite probably. Snead will face that sort of situation, Russell never did. Snead will face 2 million dollar pay checks, not 12 million dollar pay checks for doing nothing. You can't compare JaMarcus Russell with Snead considering one was drafted to be a franchise and one will be drafted in hope that he will develop to be.

ViperVisor
01-08-2010, 01:54 AM
If you aren't a top 10 pick it isn't completely dumb to go in a year early.

Real money he will make is gonna be that 2nd contract, if it comes. Better and sooner chance at that is he gets to a good NFL situation on the bench this year.

footballguy201
01-08-2010, 02:02 AM
NFL draft (http://www.topnflnews.com/)All of the Rivals and Scout beat writers for the program just received messages about it. So an official declaration should be forthcoming.

that guy is awesome! a talented player

SillyRyno
01-08-2010, 08:30 AM
that guy is awesome! a talented player

Jevan, is that you?

Scotty D
01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Are the girls at Ole Miss that ugly???

Don Vito
01-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Are the girls at Ole Miss that ugly???

Best in the world

MetSox17
01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Best in the world

Yeah, it ain't even about the women. I hear plenty of great things about the women at Ole Miss.

Anyhow, back on topic.

I do find this to be an incredibly curious move by Snead. He had a really bad year after being hyped up as a Heisman candidate and with Mississippi being ranked 4th in the pre-season. Everyone was expecting a huge year, and it never got there. He's physically gifted, we all know that. The reason i find this interesting, is that the likelihood of him going to a team that has an established quarterback, is very high. The teams that desperately need a QB will most likely take one in the top parts of round one and two. After that, they're out of the QB draw. I think, for his career's sake, it would be best for him to land somewhere like Indianapolis, or New England. There he'll be forced to sit for a few years, and get some great coaching while never having any significant pressure on him (ala Tony Romo, Matt Cassel). Ultimately, i feel he'll be a very good NFL quarterback, but i don't think it'll be any time soon.

ElectricEye
01-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Really don't like some of the things I'm hearing about Snead in this thread. Usually don't read into that stuff too much, but it sounds like he does have some legitimate character issues. I really liked him after what he did last year, but I don't know how anyone can come away anything but disappointed after the piss poor season he turned in this year. Still has a lot of potential, but he should have gone back to school for sure, even if he wasn't getting on well there. Sounds like he needs to get his **** together in a major way.

Brothgar
01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I see this kid in a Redskins Uni. Could easily be first round. That speaks to exactly how bad this year's QB class is.

49ers1984
01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I see this kid in a Redskins Uni. Could easily be first round. That speaks to exactly how bad this year's QB class is.

There are a lot of qbs that are going to be taken before him most likely

Bradford
Mcoy
Pike
Tebow
Clauson
Brown
Lefevour
Mallet